Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2016 Build-Off Challenge - Official Contest Thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
stevegm
The Final Voting Poll is live. All 914world users can vote here:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/VYK7P9L

The Challengers have a different poll (more in-depth) that has been emailed to them.
stevegm
We haven't had many 914world member vote yet. The poll only takes a couple minutes. You can vote here - https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/VYK7P9L
3d914
Steve, thanks again for hosting this. Sure would like to be a part if you're continuing for next year.

Also, did my voting from your link but only got one page.
stevegm
QUOTE(3d914 @ Sep 18 2016, 10:10 PM) *

Steve, thanks again for hosting this. Sure would like to be a part if you're continuing for next year.

Also, did my voting from your link but only got one page.

The link in post #352 above is for 914world members, and the poll is only one page long. The Challengers have a more detailed poll. I emailed them the link directly.

Yes, I am planning to do a 2017 Build-Off Challenge, beginning in October, with some minor changes. I will post info soon.
Garland
Replace the plastic shields, with polished aluminum. Then sealed the edges with silicone to waterproof.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
whitetwinturbo
wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif
stevegm
Keep the votes coming in. It is a close competition. If you have not voted, the link for 914world members to vote is - https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/VYK7P9L

Note that, while you can cast your votes however you choose, the first place winner must have completed their car to the point of being able to drive it to win.
Andyrew
Steve,

Your last comment struck me, I didnt read anywhere where the first place winner must have a driving car. Granted the top three cars are all on the road it seems like an interesting thing to point out at this final stage. Can you clarify for me where this was noted ahead of time?

I doubt it will make any difference but if it wasnt disclosed ahead of time I dont think its fair for those that were unable to complete the car to the point of driving.
stevegm
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Sep 19 2016, 06:07 PM) *

Steve,

Your last comment struck me, I didnt read anywhere where the first place winner must have a driving car. Granted the top three cars are all on the road it seems like an interesting thing to point out at this final stage. Can you clarify for me where this was noted ahead of time?

I doubt it will make any difference but if it wasnt disclosed ahead of time I dont think its fair for those that were unable to complete the car to the point of driving.

Post #1 of this thread:

How are the builds judged?
1. Finishing on time - The car must be "done" and on the road at the end of the build.
The car must be road worthy, including titled, registered, and tagged.
2. Completing all build tasks, as outlined at the beginning of the build. This is determined by the person doing the build, but, roughly set out at the beginning of the build.
3. Quality and workmanship of the final car.
Andyrew
Got it,

Missed that when I read over the rules on the web site. Thanks for the clarification.
stevegm
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Sep 19 2016, 06:26 PM) *

Got it,

Missed that when I read over the rules on the web site. Thanks for the clarification.

All of the cars look great. Amazing work. As far as I can tell the top 3 cars out of the top 5 (as of the end of the 3rd round) are now on the road. biggrin.gif Yours included, right?
stevegm
We have been working to finish the trophy. I think whoever wins will like it. I can't wait to see who comes out on top.
Andyrew
QUOTE(stevegm @ Sep 19 2016, 03:43 PM) *

Got it,

All of the cars look great. Amazing work. As far as I can tell the top 3 cars out of the top 5 (as of the end of the 3rd round) are now on the road. biggrin.gif Yours included, right?

Steve,

This is what I can see as well and yes mine is on the road, took it to a local show Sunday, gathered lots of interest biggrin.gif always makes it worth it.
stevegm
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Sep 20 2016, 08:57 AM) *

QUOTE(stevegm @ Sep 19 2016, 03:43 PM) *

Got it,

Steve,

This is what I can see as well and yes mine is on the road, took it to a local show Sunday, gathered lots of interest biggrin.gif always makes it worth it.

I should have entered the Build-Off. maybe mine would be done. biggrin.gif
stevegm
Last day to vote.
stevegm
The polls are closed. The results are tallied. The trophy is being engraved.

The winner is . . . We will announce the winner tomorrow night at Okteenerfest.
stevegm
Congratulations Garland. After all the votes were cast it was a tight contest.

Full results will be posted soon.
poorsche914
Garland being presented the Build Off Challenge award by Steve Martin and Mark Whitesell at Okteenerfest 2016.

Click to view attachment

turk22
Congratulations Garland, well deserved! beerchug.gif smash.gif smilie_pokal.gif welder.gif pray.gif

I'm totally taking credit for the Golden Jackstand idea as well! poke.gif
JoeDees
Much deserved! Good work!
Darren C
Well Done Garland !
Vysoc
Congratulations GARLAND!!!!!! first.gif first.gif first.gif

Vysoc flag.gif
mbseto
Congratulations, well-deserved!
jkb944t
Congratulations Garland, great job! beerchug.gif first.gif

Jeff B
Andyrew
Bump for those that didnt catch the results that were updated in the first page. smile.gif
Thanks Steve for putting this on!

QUOTE(stevegm @ Sep 28 2015, 03:27 PM) *
Congratulations Garland!. It was a close contest with a lot of great work, and lots of 914s back on the road.

Thank you to the sponsors for giving great discounts and prizes - 914rubber, Restoration Design, Automobile Atlanta, Jeff's 914 Wiring Harnesses, Area 51 Werks, Savethe914.com, and Fourteener Motoring Magazine. A special thank you goes to Andy and 914world, and everything the site does the the 914 community. Without the forums, none of this would be possible.

Here are the results of the Final Round:

1st Place 91.5 Garland
2nd Place 84.84 Darren C
3rd Place 82.75 Andyrew
4th Place 73.1525 Olympic 1.7
5th Place 68 DirtyCossack
6th Place 66.74 jkb944t
7th Place 66.49 914forme
8th Place 62.67 MichiganMat
9th Place 58.35 dlee6204
10th Place 56.41 mbseto
11th Place 55.78 trojanhorsepower
12th Place 53.02 Vysoc
13th Place 52.25 Nutter965
14th Place 47.31 3d914
15th Place 45.75 rightpedal
16th Place 44.05 budk
17th Place 43.74 mrfourteen
18th Place 41.8 Philip W.
19th Place 36.41 madmax914
20th Place 35.03 poorsche914
21st Place 34.5 brettrarnold
22nd Place 33.65 RJMII
23rd Place 33.5 injunmort
24th Place 33.46 Mueller
25th Place 33.25 Stacks914
26th Place 27 AndyB
27th Place 26.5 lonewolfe
28th Place 26.25 914-d
29th Place 23.8 dudzy's914
30th Place 23.66 jcd914
31st Place 23.49 dakotaewing
32nd Place 23.48 hot_shoe914
33rd Place 22.99 boxsterfan
34th Place 20.23 02loftsmoor
35th Place 19.54 n2800
Andyrew
Double Post
Darren C
Yes a big thanks to Steve for organizing all this.

I must also say a big thank you to everyone that voted for me too. It was a close result with not many points separating the board. This reflects the dedication, enthusiasm and quality of the builds this year.

It was a pleasure being part of it all. Thanks guys.

So, just waiting excitedly to receiving the 2016 Build-off Challenge T-Shirt now so I can wear it with pride amongst the UK fourteeners.
stevegm
QUOTE(Darren C @ Sep 27 2016, 03:08 PM) *

Yes a big thanks to Steve for organizing all this.

I must also say a big thank you to everyone that voted for me too. It was a close result with not many points separating the board. This reflects the dedication, enthusiasm and quality of the builds this year.

It was a pleasure being part of it all. Thanks guys.

So, just waiting excitedly to receiving the 2016 Build-off Challenge T-Shirt now so I can wear it with pride amongst the UK fourteeners.

Hi Darren, PM me your address and I will mail your shirt out tomorrow.
Mueller
Congrats Garland and all the others.....

yippee....I'm not such a loser after all! smile.gif
theleschyouknow
QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Sep 25 2016, 08:27 PM) *

Garland being presented the Build Off Challenge award by Steve Martin and Mark Whitesell at Okteenerfest 2016.

Click to view attachment

those ratchet style jack stands are dangerous, they can fail unexpectedly with deadly results please don't rely on it as the car's sole support biggrin.gif

congratulations Garland and to all the contestants you're inspirations to the rest of us slackers

beerchug.gif
cjl
stevegm
We are getting the 2017 Build-Off Challenge organized. It will begin October 15th. The requirements will be the same:

A. Engine - Remove and reinstall or install, if already removed.
B. Significant body work
C. Significant interior work
D. Get the car driving and on the road by September 14, 2017.

We are going to try to cover the progress of the builds in a little more detail this time. Also, we are going to try to keep the dates of the polls a little more organized this time.

ROUND DATES:
Round 1 - October 15th to January 1st
Round 2 - January 1st to April 1st
Round 3 - April 1st to July 1st
Round 4 - July 1st to September 14th

New requirements:
Post monthly. Anyone who does not post monthly will be eliminated.
Vote in each round. Anyone who does not vote in each of the 4 rounds will be eliminated.

We are also considering:
1. At least some progress every month or elimination
2. A small entry fee, to help cover the costs of a bigger trophy, and do some other things we'd like to do with the event. We may do a DVD type thing.
3. There has been talk of limiting the contest to the first 10 or 15 builds that submit to participate. We haven't made a final decision on that.

If your interested in participating PM me.
TM_Corey
QUOTE(stevegm @ Sep 28 2016, 10:08 AM) *

We are getting the 2017 Build-Off Challenge organized. It will begin October 15th. The requirements will be the same:

B. Significant body work

We are going to try to cover the progress of the builds in a little more detail this time. Also, we are going to try to keep the dates of the polls a little more organized this time.

ROUND DATES:

New requirements:
Vote in each round. Anyone who does not vote in each of the 4 rounds will be eliminated.

We are also considering:
2. A small entry fee, to help cover the costs of a bigger trophy, and do some other things we'd like to do with the event. We may do a DVD type thing.
3. There has been talk of limiting the contest to the first 10 or 15 builds that submit to participate. We haven't made a final decision on that.

Sent you a PM with questions.

cs
Nutter965
A big thank you to all who voted for me and a big thanks to Steve for organising it all, to be fair I thought I would be further on but it did spur me on ! The t-shirt was worn with pride on holidays this year, I'm still working away and it will be finished ... I promise
stevegm
QUOTE(TM_Corey @ Sep 28 2016, 01:22 PM) *

QUOTE(stevegm @ Sep 28 2016, 10:08 AM) *

B. Significant body work

ROUND DATES:

New requirements:

We are also considering:

Sent you a PM with questions.

cs

I PM'd you back.
Andyrew
Steve, Any way I can get an XL shirt? My large isnt fitting my fat body.. sad.gif
Darren C
You guy's got your T shirts already?

I thought we got them at the end?
Mueller
To quote the great Peter Sellers "I like to watch", I will not partake in the next Challenge, goodbye and thanks for all the fish....

smile.gif

JoeDees
An unknown moving date and an insane amount of uncertainty in the future are causing my project to be put on hold, so I may be back for 2018.
trojanhorsepower
I'd like to try again. Needless to say I still meet the criteria.
Olympic 914
I'm out...

It seems I am far enough ahead as to have an unfair advantage... shades.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif

I will continue to update my thread though..

Thanks to all who voted for me. I really appreciate it.

Congrats to Garland. beerchug.gif
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Darren C @ Sep 28 2016, 04:23 PM) *

You guy's got your T shirts already?

I thought we got them at the end?

Contact Steve, he should have sent it for you. If you didn't get it, I'm sure he can send another
Garland
I would like to thank everyone for their wonderful support and interest in my build. The challenge and 914 world club members, and family in my mind, are a big part of this project. I truly thankful for your interest, support, and help when I really needed it.

Here's some pictures of the first road trip for the build car, Okteenerfest. Put about 1,300 miles on the car . My son Sean drove a second support and rescue vehicle, wearing the correct T-shirt. And traveled with me to North Carolina from Michigan in a second car. He's made this trip before and we were into the twisties shortly into Ohio. It made the trip quite enjoyable, and his autocross experience made for a fun drive, since we all know nothing can keep up with the 914 in the twisties. beer3.gif (drinking the Kool-Aid)

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

This is a "where is he 914?" look close, its there.

Click to view attachment

We made some new friends, like Lloyd, a mile up, on the mountain with his wife in North Carolina. Lloyd had film in the camera but two dead batteries, and no email address. I'm sending him a copy of the photo. And Joe at his store on the scenic Highway. Joe is very interested in the car and had some interesting license plates up on the wall.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

You may have noticed writing on the car. Since the paint was palisti-dip, and will be peeled off (exposing primer, and multi colored panels, still to be finished) I thought it would be fun to let people sign the car. It was, the comments and funnies are great. Almost hate to remove it now. Pictures to come.

I attended Okteenerfest where at their banquet, it was announced, and I was awarded the Build-Off Challenge golden jackstand award from, Fourteener Motoring Magazine.

Steve Martin.......................John Thurwachter ................Mark Whitesell
FMM & Save the 914............"Garland" Michigan Build........914 Rubber
Click to view attachment

I've been a 914 owner since the mid-70s, and this experience has been one of the top moments for me. Heres is one other, in the 70's getting ready to go racing.

Click to view attachment

The Build off challenge has been a wonderful experience, that I was able to share with my family, friends, new, and old members of 914 world. It expanded my skills as I worked on the project and learned new things, and was able to share them with others.

I had a lot of fun with this, thanks again everyone.

Garland
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.