Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2016 Build-Off Challenge - Official Contest Thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Nutter965
It's been a more productive month so far ! And hopefully more to come this month, the rear of the tub is pretty much done floor wise just waiting on my local shop making the e brake bracket for me, there lasering it out and folding it for me, there wouldn't have been enough metal left on the original to move the mounts, I've mounted the front and rear bumpers for a trial fit ...... eeek the rear is away off so we're moving steadily !

Click to view attachment

So vendors used 52 fifteen ....

There's more on my main thread biggrin.gif
trojanhorsepower
Well May has be back on track. Doug L. came over and saved the day. We went from this:Click to view attachment
To this:Click to view attachment

After I took the fender back off and fixed some of the problem spots, I reinstalled it and after a lot of finagling, I got it back in place.

No vendors, but lots of help from Doug!
Biggest problem was figuring out how pulling or pushing on this spot moved all the others.
Darren C
Month 8 has flown by and like all previous months I’ve managed to find a few hours each day to work on the car, and update my diary late into each night.

Achievements this month,

90% of the interior is restored and back in, and the car is starting to look real pretty.

Challenges.

Again it’s been a rollercoaster of highs and lows. Things didn’t go to plan, my friend breaking the windshield I’d spent hours carefully removing from the car and cleaning up, the trimmers continually having trouble with the knee roll (that in the end I had to re-trim myself) and issues with parts. On the flip side with a little perseverance as a whole the car looks fantastic and much better than hoped for.

Purchases.

Still working through the large box of parts from 914rubber, some parts from Porsche Centre and some disappointing parts fro AA that will be going back!

With just a handful of months left now in this 12 month build challenge I feel that the light at the end of the tunnel is near and I can’t wait to finally get to drive it!

It’s an epic read this month (it sure took me a good while to write up and photograph) so thank you in advance for taking time out to read my ramblings.

:-)

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=247250
Andyrew
May Build Update: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...780&st=540#

Sadly it looks like I needed to extend the harness a bit.
IPB Image

Luckily I happen to know a guy whos done this before smile.gif Thanks Mike Bellis for your hours of work!!

IPB Image

IPB Image

Also got the shifter mounted smile.gif yes its crude. Its temporary until I get the center console built.
IPB Image

Video of action. Loving the location

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yz_uBNnIPE

Finally got some 2ga wire for my main power lead to the wiring harness. Way overkill but it will ensure I have plenty of supply power. Backing it up with a 250amp inline fuse.

Next months goal is a running engine!
stevegm
Any remaining 914world Round Two Voting voting, before we compile those results? Here is the link for the poll in case you haven't voted yet - https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/V29QVXS
Mueller
No progress on my end, car is still across the street in storage, motor is under my workbench collecting dust. I fully expect to come in dead last on this quarters poll sad.gif
Garland
May Update: Michigan Build
Michigan Build Link
Build progress :

Headlamps have become a daunting task. Each time I think I have it right, I over think it and start again. The housing is not square, the tuBe for the monts is on a angle. When rotating the housing the geometry changes. I'm getting close, and looking at additional lamps in the turn signal buckets.

I found disscustion about turbo tie rods, well what I got from eBay a few years back looks now to be fake. So....I got a set for a great price here on the form and installed them correctly. Much better with the steering stops, and now I have the bellows to.

A lot of catch up and correction this month. Found the front spacers were to large, poor clearance to the fender. Originally I had 10mm in the rear, and 20 in the front. 10 all around should work, waiting on the new front spacers to arrive.

Unexpected challenges:

Many, as explained above. Also camara with a phone failed yesterday, so pictures lower quality this month.

Vendors:

Customadeonly.com (spacer's aluminum)

Progress Pictures:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

The restoration car is coming along nicely, never started a blog, or link on the car. Just posted a few here and there. I will when finished post the whole 13 year complete story.
soon to come back to earth. (Tires touch the ground)
Sneek peek:

Click to view attachment

All the rest @ Michigan Build Link Thanks for the look. "Michigan Build"
914forme
May Update:

Daughter got married, and the event went off extremely well. With all the sleepless nights I got a few things done.

Tangerine Racing rear shock mounts installed, and welded up 4 rust holes in the trunk. Finished welding my engine mounts into the car.

Vendors used:
Tire Rack
Ebay
Tangerine Racing
Rebel Racing
Elephant Racing
Jegs
914Rubber
Simple Digital Systems
and my friends Boxster S stash of parts

Most troubling issue, ran out of mig wire, which means there is 49 pounds of the stuff used in the build of this car, I would say 90% of it gets ground out.

Frustration number 2, is it seems my rear trunk has a gravitational pull of its own. Just when I seem to be moving on, I look up, and see light shining through the trunk floor. headbang.gif

Car is getting uglier per day it seems, and no light at the end of the tunnel, it will be so worth it when it is done.
Olympic 914
Olympic Blue Resurrection May 16 update.

Well I have continued to work on the body, I just haven't posted anything about it. I mean how many pictures of a couple fenders in primer can people stand.

lots of work trying to get the lips on the fenders to look just right. I think I finally got them.

Many many hours into this.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Finally I think its good enough.

Click to view attachment

Also decided to finish the trunk lid.

Click to view attachment

it has the final paint on now.

Click to view attachment

Next step will be to get the paint on the tub. So I will block this down hopefully only one more time ( Ha-Ha ) and shoot some real paint.

Click to view attachment

I can't wait to start putting it back together.

(still have to do the doors and front trunk lid though.)

Vendors :

Picked up some parts at Hershey. And met a bunch of fun people.

Andyrew
QUOTE(914forme @ Jun 1 2016, 05:23 PM) *

Most troubling issue, ran out of mig wire, which means there is 49 pounds of the stuff used in the build of this car, I would say 90% of it gets ground out.

Holy crap!! blink.gif
whitetwinturbo
HOLY PRIMER blink.gif blink.gif blink.gif
mbseto
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jun 1 2016, 09:00 PM) *

QUOTE(914forme @ Jun 1 2016, 05:23 PM) *

Holy crap!! blink.gif

I'd agree with that. Feel like a measure of my welding skill is how much I *don't* end up sweeping off the floor. Got a ways to go.

Whole quarter slipped away from me. I know where it went- we took our family vacation in the spring this year and work was pretty intense for a few weeks. Doesn't seem like I left the car for that long. Anyway, if you'll take a prodigal challenger back...

Progress: Got the front corner mostly closed up. I think I'm going to rework some of the welds, just not happy with some of it, think I can do better. Spent some time practicing to get my rosettes to penetrate properly and then put this mount on:
Click to view attachment

Made up a profile drawing of my inner long and had a couple blanks made:
Click to view attachment

This will need some additional work to add all the proper features.

Challenges: Time, as always. Learning on the go makes for slow progress.

Vendors: Went to a local metal shop to get the inner longs made. Happy with the result, chatted with the guy for a few minutes, asked him how much of a hassle it is to do small jobs. He said they had the time to do it, otherwise you'd see it in the quote.
DRPHIL914
I didn't do anything much myself on my car this past couple months, - but that is about to change - I did sort a short in the harness at the injector, replaced and injector, then drove the car 1000 miles to Connecticut , Manchester that is!!
Home of CFR , where there were many fine examples either completed or close, of some of Chris's work.
-ordered a front trunk seal from 914rubber,
-took car to CFR

on the agenda and already started as reported from Chris, with pictures in future
- began rust repair of rear longs and floor pan under drivers side,
- checking out engine
1. Compression numbers came back very good- @145-155 on all 4, and
I guess leak down was pretty good, going to be reevaluated once timing , valves etc get set or rechecked. - if my motor weakness is just a tuning thing, then I will be able to do a couple other things on that front rather than a rebuild:
a. sport header from CFR and SS performance muffler from CFR, with improved oil cooler from CFR,

Chris may post a few pictures of the rust repair, and the fender stretching/repair as it progresses.

expectation is to bring the car home once this stuff is done, and re-paint will be the next step- that may be by next month!!!!
- so the big vendor donation for this month by far is CFR - that deposit for work is what I paid for the car!!! blink.gif blink.gif
now on with the smash.gif smash.gif sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif welder.gif
JoeDees
I feel like I had a great month in the garage.

Progress: Welded on the seatmount support, the jackpoint triangle, fabricated the upper wheelehouse hellhole, cut out and welded in a few sail panel sections, got an awesome new dog, welded in the door sill, shaped the door jamb, and welded in the suspension console!

No support from vendors this month.

Challenges: Fabricating multiple pieces with compound curves, getting the inner suspension console lined up, neck issue is affecting both shoulders' range of motion, and probably worst of all some lords made some trades and my serf ass got reassigned to what is a "prestigious job" driving for a person of significant rank, but the long hours and stress of the other duties are not worth it... (it seems that this is what you get for over-performing). I guess it won't be too bad a month or so from now when I adapt to it, but it goes to show that you really don't know what you've got until it's gone, but whatever I'll make this fun too. I'm really not complaining accept for the extra long work day and the occasional weekend.

Many thanks to those who've helped me here so far and an extra special thanks to those who will continue to help me. I'm really looking forward to June in the garage and moving on to a new section of the car. The 914 will get extra special attention since it is my therapist for real world stress and annoyance.
whitetwinturbo
Nice use of the HF newspaper......... beer.gif
Andyrew
QUOTE(stevegm @ Jun 1 2016, 07:10 AM) *

Any remaining 914world Round Two Voting voting, before we compile those results? Here is the link for the poll in case you haven't voted yet - https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/V29QVXS

How did round 2 voting go? smile.gif
jkb944t
agree.gif

I was wondering the same thing!

Jeff B
Mueller
I got my tee shirt and copy of fourteener motoring mag...nice mag, I feel bad for not subscribing, I shall now do so!
Andyrew
Got my shirt as well! No mag though, Im sure itll be here Monday.
stevegm
ROUND 2 RESULTS:

Congratulations Garland, Darren C, Andyrew, DirtyCossack, and 914forme, the top 5 builds, after two rounds.

1st Place Garland - 45.25
2nd Place Darren C - 41.29
3rd Place Andyrew - 40.5
4th Place DirtyCossack - 36.75
5th Place 914forme - 35.48
6th Place Olympic 1.7 - 32.44
7th Place jkb944t - 32.15
8th Place MichiganMat - 29.34
9th Place Vysoc - 28.96
10th Place buck - 28.08
11th Place trojanhorsepower - 27.84
12th Place mbseto - 24.89
13th Place Nutter965 - 24.25
14th Place dlee6204 - 21.13
15th Place 3d914 - 21.13
16th Place right pedal - 19.75
17th Place madmax914 - 19.75
18th Place brettrarnold - 18.25
19th Place mrfourteen - 17.99
20th Place RJMII - 17.68
21st Place Stacks914 - 17.5
22nd Place Philip W. - 16.99
23rd Place poorsche914 - 16.99
24th Place injunmort - 16.75
25th Place Mueller - 14.23
26th Place AndyB - 13.75
27th Place lonewolfe - 13.00
28th Place dakotaewing - 11.47
29th Place dudzy's914 - 11.425
30th Place jcd914 - 10.7875
31st Place boxsterfan - 10.78
32nd Place 914-d - 10.78
33rd Place hot_shoe914 - 9.4
34th Place n2800 - 8.71
35th Place 02loftsmoor - 8.71

The above scores are the aggregate of Round 1 and Round 2 scores.
Darren C
Congratulations to all participants in the second round of voting. There's some great work being done out there, and I'm really enjoying reading all your threads.

Month 9 for me....

It started off at speed and ended with an emergency stop.

The challenge this month was not with the car, the weather, the tiny garage, vendors or new defects to deal with…..my challenge this month was literally not to die…..

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...p;#entry2365107
stevegm
QUOTE(Darren C @ Jun 28 2016, 04:24 PM) *

Congratulations to all participants in the second round of voting. There's some great work being done out there, and I'm really enjoying reading all your threads.

Month 9 for me....

It started off at speed and ended with an emergency stop.

The challenge this month was not with the car, the weather, the tiny garage, vendors or new defects to deal with…..my challenge this month was literally not to die…..

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...p;#entry2365107

Darren, I hope your feeling better.
JoeDees
June was the I survived my first month in a new position at work during the craziest month of the year and it's over 100 degrees in my garage so I'm just going to sit in front of the TV watching sports drinking beer month.
It wasn't completely wasted though. I did accomplish to fabricate and install the dreaded Suspension Ties. And I also gained the courage to explore the haunted bondo forest that is the front, right corner--removing at least a can of filler. Maybe I didn't do much physically to the car, but I did a lot of strategic planning on how to proceed.
Challenges: Learning to play with 12 gauge sheet metal and actual realizing and internalizing how much work still remains.
914forme
Well the month is almost done, and very little progress.

Vendors supported this month

Tangerine Racing - beerchug.gif for your support Chris

Rebel Racing - To support Chris' efforts and to give me more brakes than I will ever need.

Ebay - found a stupid deal on 996 Brakes

914 Rubber - Tartan piratenanner.gif

Autohaus of Arizona - wheel bearing dust caps who know these would be that hard to find.

Spoke - Jerry makes great stuff

What I did do

New Trans from an 05 Subaru when it, and I get to redo my trans mounts again. And weld the huge hole I cut in the rear trunk for the slave cylinder back in. Everything clears, so the trunk can look stock. No cutting needed, got to love that.

Finished seam welding the shock towers.

I cut out the other -4 engine mount on the passenger side, took off the lower triangle for the jack point donut. Need to fix the hell hole.

Up next is the rear trunk hinges, and that is about all I want to do there before I get the suspension points moved. So I will be moving into the cabin to do a bit of work. Then maybe the front trunk. Lots of work to be done still.

Baby steps, Baby Steps

Garland
June Update: Michigan Build
Michigan Build Link
Build progress:

After a few road tests and adjustments, to shake things out. I ended up with 5mm rear, and 10 front for wheel spacer's. (Also remember to tighten your front strut tower bolts, before! Your first test drive.) Believe me, what a bizarre feeling.

Re-Adjusted the alignment, and good to go.

Primed and painted the rockers, used mar-Hyde Black satin, and Transtar 4313 chip guard. After the black satin, spray at a distance the Chipguard and find the look you want. (The primer backed set is for the restoration car)

Started the long tast of finishing the flares with body filler. I hate to use much, so lots of grading, and sanding to keep it at a minimum. Also did the hood.

Unexpected challenges:

Summer in Michigan, not unexpected but never enough time to enjoy.

Vendors:

Flaps: body filler, primer, and misc.

Progress Pictures:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

The rest, and more @ Michigan Build Link Thanks for the look. "Michigan Build"
914forme
This car is looking great piratenanner.gif
whitetwinturbo
popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif
stevegm
Round 3 will end Monday night, July 4th. So, post your updates. Only 1 more round to go.
stevegm
It's time to start thinking about a trophy for the winner of the build-off. If anybody has any ideas for the perfect trophy I'd love to here then.
Andyrew
June build update: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=2354753

Routed all the wiring and mounted the relay and fuse consoles.
IPB Image
IPB Image

Mounted the gas pedal and modified the pedal cluster for the sensors required.
IPB Image
IPB Image

Got the computer to connect to the laptop which meant the majority of the wiring was good and nothing was a major issue smile.gif

Oh and this happened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSrB9kXreM4

Driving videos pretty soon. Then interior starts smile.gif
See my thread for more details and pictures.
Mueller
July 1st update for Build-Off Challenge.

Took the motor out of storage and started to tear it apart for a camshaft swap, I will also be adding 911 swivel adjusters to the rocker arms.

Still undecided on fuel management right now. Waiting to see if Jake chimes in again on my engine build thread on what direction to go with it, I am open to all known good options.

Engine build thread.
turk22
QUOTE(stevegm @ Jul 2 2016, 12:08 AM) *

It's time to start thinking about a trophy for the winner of the build-off. If anybody has any ideas for the perfect trophy I'd love to here then.

Isn't the golden JackStand the perfect trophy??

first.gif smilie_pokal.gif first.gif smilie_pokal.gif first.gif smilie_pokal.gif
Olympic 914
Build off challenge - Third Quarter Update

Finally got some color on parts that people will actually see.

Turned out pretty good. still will need a cut and buff, but that can wait.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Passenger side needed another coat of high build primer and I should be able to get paint on this side this week.

Click to view attachment

Still will have to do the doors and front hood. but I will be able to start installing parts into the tub.

moving along.....

3d914
Awesome paint & body work. Nicely done!
3d914
914-SHO Project

June Progress: No major progress for the last couple of months. Just minor bits & pieces.

Challenges: Other projects. Needed to get my garage back so I could work on 914. This meant getting a shed for all the kid's stuff & my sons 914. Then of course all the stuff had to be moved from the garage to the shed - after building a lower loft in the shed, etc, etc, etc.

Vendor Participation: None this month.

Pictures: None.
mbseto
Just put detailed updates in my build thread...

PROGRESS this month: I cut the passenger side long out of the car and welded in the last piece of the front corner in preparation for the new long.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

CHALLENGES: I don't think I've mentioned this yet, but overhead welding has been a challenge. I'm not using a rotisserie for a couple reasons, one being that I think total replacement of the longs needs the car to be level so that it can be made straight. I'm sure some will disagree, and have good counter-arguments- maybe I'll try it different next time.

VENDORS: No vendors this month.
Mueller
I wore my 914 Challenge t-shirt today! wink.gif
DRPHIL914
I would LOVE to post a picture or something, but I'm going to ask Chris at Tangerine to do that- I'm hoping he has taken a few of the progress. If not, I won't have documentation. So, Chris, if you happen to read this and you find a minute, post a couple pictures......
JoeDees
QUOTE(mbseto @ Jul 6 2016, 11:25 PM) *

I'm not using a rotisserie for a couple reasons, one being that I think total replacement of the longs needs the car to be level so that it can be made straight. I'm sure some will disagree, and have good counter-arguments- maybe I'll try it different next time.

That was my thinking too. Overhead welding may suck, but not as bad as a twisted car, better safe than sorry.
stevegm
QUOTE(turk22 @ Jul 3 2016, 07:21 PM) *

QUOTE(stevegm @ Jul 2 2016, 12:08 AM) *

Isn't the golden JackStand the perfect trophy??

first.gif smilie_pokal.gif first.gif smilie_pokal.gif first.gif smilie_pokal.gif

Ya, I think you might be right. I will start working on that. Any other ideas are greatly appreciated.

We will start Round 3 voting this Friday (7/22).

914World Member voting - https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/QM27BZL
jkb944t
This is the engine bay before the engine was installed.

Click to view attachment

This is the engine bay with a motor which is even better!

Click to view attachment

Jeff B
Darren C
Month 10 continued……

Despite all the setbacks from the TIA, the Consultant thankfully found no lasting brain damage. I’m still having many ongoing tests and have to stick with the Medication and low cholesterol diet until they can find what caused it.

The good news after a month is that I can drive again. For someone who’s raison d'être is cars, it’s the best news ever!

Progress on the 914 has been good in cramped conditions and bad weather setbacks, the whole underside is restored and repainted, front suspension and brakes refurbished, rebuilt and back on. Wheels part restored and the wheel bolts refurbished. A little self indulgence was had on making a neat 316 Stainless Steel fuel manifold for the Carbs in the engine bay; and the engine lid was re-assembled.

We only have 2 months left now before the end of this 12 month Build-off Challenge and I’m on track to have the car tested by the UK Ministry of Transport so that after many years sitting un-used it can be returned to the road and enjoyed again.

Thanks yet again for taking time out to read my ramblings and please check out my Build-Off challenge thread. I hope you find it entertaining and interesting.
Garland
pre my Official July Post, here's a sample.

Michigan Build Link

Click to view attachment
jkb944t
Finishing up details underneath the car this quarter. Purchased a lot of nice rubber parts from 914 Rubber. Top notch parts and service. The new front trunk seal is a huge improvement over the 1st generation seal so I would highly recommend it to anyone.

Click to view attachment

I am amazed at how well many of the other builds are coming along in this challenge. Nice to see so many 914's getting restored.

Jeff B
914forme
QUOTE(Garland @ Jul 24 2016, 04:48 PM) *

pre my Official July Post, here's a sample.

Michigan Build Link

Click to view attachment

] aktion035.gif drooley.gif cheer.gif

headbang.gif

Making me rethink my build again

screwy.gif idea.gif headbang.gif
whitetwinturbo
Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo NICE wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif
Garland
July Update: Michigan Build
Michigan Build Link
Build progress :

Wanted to solve the leagal height issues for the headlamps. So July was spent on installing lamps in the turn buckets.

Unexpected challenges:

I have seen others try this, and new I wanted 3 things :
1. To adjust the headlamp independent of the buckets.
2. DOT car headlamp rating
3. Lens that looked factory.

Vendors:

None this month

Progress Pictures:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

914forme
QUOTE(Garland @ Jul 29 2016, 03:36 PM) *

July Update: Michigan Build
Michigan Build Link
Build progress :

Wanted to solve the leagal height issues for the headlamps. So July was spent on installing lamps in the turn buckets.

Unexpected challenges:

I have seen others try this, and new I wanted 3 things :
1. To adjust the headlamp independent of the buckets.
2. DOT car headlamp rating
3. Lens that looked factory.

Vendors:

None this month

Progress Pictures:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Only thing to make that even better would be a cast clear section to the lens. That being said I still drooley.gif wub.gif pray.gif this, and your build is freaking awesome also.
whitetwinturbo
wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif
914forme
Well no real progress on the 914 this month. Progress ground to a halt on July 4th, after I tried to modify my fingers in a 12" disk sander.

Chris Foley has almost all my parts done, just needs to ship them out.

As of today I have been working on my Fathers trailer as that is what I was doing when I got bit.

Gross picture of the carnage to follow, look away if you don't like this stuff.

Click to view attachment

Could have been much much worse, and I am very grateful it wasn't.

Also ordered a bunch of safety equipment, and sprung for a set of Mechanix fabricator gloves. Well worth the price.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.