Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2016 Build-Off Challenge - Official Contest Thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
JoeDees
July update:

It was a fairly productive month. I did a bunch of cutting and welding on the driver's side. Repaired what was once the jack post area which also required repair on the jamb and sill, patched up some rust spots on the floor and lower firewall; I also ran out of welding gas so I have the e-brake cable guide ready to go and the little area on the sail panel ready to weld. To be further productive in the days without gas I removed the foam and seal sealer from up in the jamb/sail panel as well as the rear corner, then moved on to begin with the frunk seal channel (wire-wheeled to check out the damage for future repair) as well as took the wheel to the antenna area in preparation for filling it in, and removed some more components. We also got a new dog! August will be busy with work with some stuff scheduled on the weekends, but it's still looking like it could be pretty impressive month in the shop.

Challenges: still mostly just health related and their second and third order effects for the future of the build. Build wise, the biggest challenges were working in some of the tight spaces up in the jamb and under the fender, it was especially challenging since my shoulders don't go some directions and my hands go numb when I move in others (mostly overhead) but the rotisserie and resourcefulness overcome these challenges.

Once again nothing from any vendors.
Olympic 914
Olympic Blue Resurrection July 2016 update

Got the final paint on the passenger side.

So the tub is completely painted now.

Next up stripping the doors, blasting them and getting them ready for paint. then the front hood.

I'll have some better pics once I shove it outside. But these will have to do for now....

Also I can get busy installing other parts.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Andyrew
July Build Update:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...780&st=580#

I spent quite a bit of time DRIVING IT! driving.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tl_GCoEC9-U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOCFI15nTfU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCwYBv_so_E

I fixed a bunch of wiring issues I had, finished up the intercooler, and started working on the dash.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Things are going to get really interesting, really fast!
trojanhorsepower
No real progress this month. Just messed around with the brakes. Still trying to get the right rear quarter to line up right.

No vendors no surprises.

Click to view attachment
mbseto
So this is the July update, a third of the way into August... unsure.gif

Last month, the entire passenger side long came out. Spent some time removing the motor mount and suspension pylon to see if any of it was salvageable. Doesn't look good. I'll probably try to fab the motor mount, doesn't look like anyone makes them. Not sure which way to go with the pylon, was looking at Tangerine's product for inspiration.

I had two long "blanks" made up at double thickness, i.e. the stock thickness plus the thickness of the stiffening kit. I figure this will save some cash and time. Did the fab work to turn them from "blanks" into longs:

Click to view attachment

Currently working on a scheme to get the car levelled on only three mount points, so I can fit all the long bits and get them welded in straight. More on that next month.

Vendors: No vendors this month, but the local shop that bent my steel.

Difficulties: Time as always. I'm enjoying my build, never enough time to do what I want to do. Sending a kid off to college this month, work is crazy, all the usual. I did ruin a pair of short with the angle grinder. I'll save that story for another time.
whitetwinturbo
QUOTE(mbseto @ Aug 10 2016, 07:08 AM) *

So this is the July update, a third of the way into August... unsure.gif

Last month, the entire passenger side long came out. Spent some time removing the motor mount and suspension pylon to see if any of it was salvageable. Doesn't look good. I'll probably try to fab the motor mount, doesn't look like anyone makes them. Not sure which way to go with the pylon, was looking at Tangerine's product for inspiration.

I had two long "blanks" made up at double thickness, i.e. the stock thickness plus the thickness of the stiffening kit. I figure this will save some cash and time. Did the fab work to turn them from "blanks" into longs:

Click to view attachment

Currently working on a scheme to get the car levelled on only three mount points, so I can fit all the long bits and get them welded in straight. More on that next month.

Vendors: No vendors this month, but the local shop that bent my steel.

Difficulties: Time as always. I'm enjoying my build, never enough time to do what I want to do. Sending a kid off to college this month, work is crazy, all the usual. I did ruin a pair of short with the angle grinder. I'll save that story for another time.

w00t.gif wub.gif w00t.gif
Nutter965
QUOTE(914forme @ Jul 31 2016, 09:39 PM) *

Well no real progress on the 914 this month. Progress ground to a halt on July 4th, after I tried to modify my fingers in a 12" disk sander.

Chris Foley has almost all my parts done, just needs to ship them out.

As of today I have been working on my Fathers trailer as that is what I was doing when I got bit.

Gross picture of the carnage to follow, look away if you don't like this stuff.

Click to view attachment

Could have been much much worse, and I am very grateful it wasn't.

Also ordered a bunch of safety equipment, and sprung for a set of Mechanix fabricator gloves. Well worth the price.

Snap !

Kinda slows the work down ! Should have been working on the 914 not the deck !!!

Click to view attachment laugh.gif

914forme
What is with this summer and fingers sad.gif
whitetwinturbo
Vampire worthy fingers givemebeer.gif
stevegm
1 Month to go until 914 Day - September 14th

I have had some things going on that have kept me away from 914world more than I would like. But, the builds are looking great. Amazing work. And I think it will be a good race to the finish. We are planning to announce the final winner at Okteenerfest.

I will post the Round 3 Results tonight. Drum roll . . . .
stevegm
Congratulations to the top 5 builds after three rounds:

1st Place - Garland
2nd Place - Andyrew
3rd Place - Darren C
4th Place - Olympic 1.7
5th Place - DirtyCossack

Here are all of the cumulative results after 3 rounds:

68.75 Garland
63.00 Andyrew
61.41 Darren C
55.24 Olympic 1.7
54.00 DirtyCossack
52.21 914forme
47.32 jkb944t
44.63 MichiganMat
43.13 mbseto
42.50 trojanhorsepower
42.00 dlee6204
41.18 Vysoc
38.00 Nutter965
35.50 rightpedal
35.47 budk
33.97 mrfourteen
32.34 3d914
28.52 Philip W.
26.45 madmax914
26.45 poorsche914
25.57 Mueller
25.25 brettrarnold
24.50 injunmort
24.38 RJMII
23.75 Stacks914
19.25 AndyB
18.75 lonewolfe
18.36 914-d
17.47 hot_shoe914
16.09 dudzy's914
15.60 boxsterfan
15.60 dakotaewing
15.45 jcd914
13.53 cn2800
13.53 02loftsmoor
jkb944t
Congratulations to the Top Five challengers! It is amazing to watch all these great 914 projects coming together so nicely.

It represents a tremendous amount of effort as so many on the World already know.

Let’s keep the effort moving forward!

Jeff B
Darren C
Month 11.

There’s been a lot of good progress this last month with the other challengers build off threads, I’m really enjoying reading them, lots of impressive work going on out there, keep it up guys!

For the first time in 8 years this little 914 is up and driving and has been saved and is loved once again….
It’s passed the stringent UK MOT testing and is declared fit for use on UK roads.
I have to wait a couple of weeks now for the Title documents to arrive before I’m able to drive it for the second time ever!

IPB Image

IPB Image

Having worked relentlessly for 11 months, these last 2 weeks are going to be the toughest.

To take my mind off it, I plan on hand flatting and polishing the paintwork. It’s had 6 months to cure and harden, so it’s a good time to get it looking like a $million glass finish paint job! (I know it looks great in the picture above, but its no where near my expectations, so it needs improvement to make it truly great)
Another challenge that’ll be in this tiny 16ft x 8ft garage with no power or light……

Thanks again for all your kind words of encouragement and I hope you’ll find my thread interesting reading, here.....

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...p;#entry2391711

Regards
Darren
Garland
August Update: Michigan Build
Michigan Build Link
Build progress :

Coming into the last 14 days, and wanted to just address little things over that 14 days of September. So I have spent a ton of time on the engine build, and install. Oil cooler, twice and alternator both failed. Visited our "World Garage" and found help with the engine. Theres a link back and forth in my main post. Running great, and hope it stays that way. Want to thank all of you for all the inspiration, and support. And the Build-off Challenge for getting me off my ass.

Unexpected challenges:

Oil leaks, errors that cause oil to leak, and stoping oil leaks.

Vendors:

Lots of motor oil, and more oil.

Progress Pictures:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I have been ask If I'll make it to Okteenerfest, I'm working on the thought, a little, its a long drive, for a just finished car. icon_bump.gif

Click to view attachment

The rest, and more @ Michigan Build Link Thanks for the look. "Michigan Build"
jkb944t
I finally took my car for short test drive. This has been a long time coming but it really felt good to drive it.

Click to view attachment

Still have lots of little things to do but that will always be the case most likely. At least another 914 will be on the road. piratenanner.gif

Jeff B
914forme
August has come and gone.

And I guess I can say I am still working on the rear trunk.

dry.gif

Challenges: Finger - it is getting a lot better

Vendors:
Paragon Products
Tangerine Racing
Amazon
Evilbay
And 914world classifieds

Beyond that can't believe the year has almost come and gone. My 914 is a lot closer than it sounds, and I had fun doing the challenge.

So do we have a second year challenge. We could have a return from the previous year group. blink.gif
JoeDees
So it was the month of disaster and disappointment. I only managed a couple hours in the garage and welded up my driver sail panel area and ebrake guide rail thing. It was the month the 914 account got wiped out and the build budget busted to zero so I bought nothing.
mbseto
This month was a lot of measuring and adjusting the support in preparation for the new long on the passenger side. Did a little fab work. But excited to be close to having a new solid backbone in the car.

No vendors involved this month.

Difficulties were a tree falling in the yard, taking up car time. Also, had another 914 related distraction which I will post about in another thread.

Click to view attachment

Andyrew
August build Update: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...4780&st=606

This month has been spent with a considerable amount of time chasing those little things.

I spent quite a lot of time with my tuner, Spent quite a bit of time fixing little engine issues, I cleaned up the wiring in the center console, I did a considerable amount of driving, and I spent a lot of time on the dash.
IPB Image
IPB Image

After about 3 months of discussion, back and forth and with Mark @ 914 rubber we finally got my vinyl pressed for the factory basketweave pattern, expect this to be incorporated into the interior.
IPB Image

Fun little video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jk5V1cL0pbk

1-3 pull still low boost

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyvYJuyYtDI
hot_shoe914
I am officially out due to shoulder surgery, good luck to those that remain.

Shoe
brettrarnold
I know its been a while since I rapped at ya and I want you to know that Amy & I have been some busy little bees since my last 914 post. Unfortunately the Porsche & 914world competition were placed on the proverbial back burner while other responsibilities took priority.

So starting in October I went with my wife Amy to go wash our cars at Green Mountain Car Wash located in Lakewood Colorado. The parking lot was packed tighter than a pair of wranglers at a rodeo. We spoke to the owners who were both in their late 60's who were looking to put it on the market and get out of the business. After a refinance and 9 months of countless trials and tribulations we can finally announce that we are the proud co-owners of Green Mountain Car Wash!!! We closed on the wash on July 15th and learning the ropes has been eating my free time for lunch and dinner.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Alright so that was excuse #1 and as many of you know my wife was pregnant so you can imagine what excuse # 2 will be.

We are very excited to announce that Amy gave birth to our beautiful son Wylie Ryan Arnold born on August 23rd. He has been a hell raiser since he was born and we don't expect that to stop anytime soon.

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment

On to the 914 news!!!

So things have leveled off at the car wash a bit and we are getting back into a somewhat normal routine (if you can call it that) and I am getting back to working on..... You guessed it. My 914. I am resuming work by getting it up onto a stand that I built and onto wheels so that I can move it around the garage when the wife wants to pull in. She got dinged with hail a month ago and it did $6,800 so getting the Porsche more mobile was also a priority.

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment

That is all the progress on the Porsche as of now but I am happy to announce that we are back at it again!!!

-Brett & Amy
DRPHIL914
August update:
Lots done- brought the car home from Tangerine-
New floors, longs , pedal area, metal work on the rear fenders, so finally installed Restoration Design parts that I bought back in January or so.

Recent purchases from 914 rubber - sail panels and front trunk seal, new gas pedal, - but I have much more to order- also made a template for the front trunk mat for cocomats to be made to match my existing cocomats in the car-
Then due to depletion of funds, I pulled the plug on getting car painted- the guy I was booked with had done some really nice cars but the second time I met before my scheduled time to begin project , well the "estimate changed by 40% increase- can't afford that so when the day came to get it done I cancelled.
So no paint before okteenerfest dry.gif dry.gif
But it's ended up being a wise decision, because I called up Bob Woodman here - local Porsche shop- and explained what I was up against and it turns out he has a metal worker body guy that has done some really nice work on some 911's and looks like he can do the finish work on my fenders AND full prep for paint!
This will start next month and I am confident that it will be done right, seeing their completed projects- they use a different paint shop than I was going to- one that I happen to know but also was on the list from World member Bill Dunster- they do use the PPG Deltron product he suggested !

But just for now I need to make sure the car is ready for the trip. I had a very noisy fuel pump amd that was replaced last week, and running better. Also more tune up- going into Bobs shop just to recheck the alignment and balance after all the work done on longs and floor. then just to have better clearance , I have 6 newly restored 16x6" Fuchs coming from Alex at Magro Wheels in Tampa that will go on the rear and I will take the 7's off for now. If once the paint prep and body work is done buy Woodman the clearance is still less than 1/4" I will not put the 7s back on- they may go up for sale. I'm not going to risk ruining a new paint work and body work that has been done- I love the 7's but the 6's look great too - really if I had done that in the first place would have saved myself a lot of time trouble and $$-
So I guess that's about it for now- I wound complete body and paint before end of contest- but it will be done, done right- done well . Best done right so I don't ever have to do it again!! Just like the floor and long repair that CFR/Tangerine did! I will not ever have to do that again-

Dr. Phil
Nutter965
Right I'm back ! Mojo restored finger working !!

Finished the NON 914 work so the brownie points are earned !

Click to view attachment

Firstly I wore my 914 T shirt on holiday, very cool and vey proud !

So the proper work started , the damage need to be cut out to let the bumpers fit so that I don't need the inch of bondo that was previously there ,

Click to view attachment

I'll keep pushing on now I'd been racking my brain on how to repair this, I'm happy with the fit now

3d914
So cool to see some cars up & running. Congrats guys! I don't think I'm gonna make it by 9/14/16. Hope they'll let me re-up for next year's challenge.

914-SHO Project

July/August Progress: Just minor progress. A portion of the underside is now in primer.

Challenges:
Other projects. Family first. Life.

Vendor Participation: None this month.

Pictures:
IPB Image
stevegm
About a week to go until 914 Day. The projects are looking great. I am real curious to see who wins. It is a tough call. We will make the polls available on 9/14, and keep them open until 9/21. The winner of the Build-Off Challenge will be announced at Okteenerfest on 9/24. I can't wait.
Garland
I was ask if I'm going to Okteenerfest, Now I am.

I was ask for a painted picture of the car, (that was not in the plan) Check out my Build page. And no more "asking". smile.gif

Iv got to stop working on this car, Im finished with the contest, hit my 5 major goals, yet it never ends. So Im taking a short break, till tomorrow. av-943.gif

Click to view attachment
stevegm
Please post your final build updates by Wednesday - 914 day. We will begin the final poll on this Wednesday, September 14th. Make sure to post the overall status of your build - is your car drivable, did you meet your goals, etc.
914forme
Well nothing will happen between today 9/12 and 9/14 for here it is.

First this has been a great deal of fun, not sure if it made a difference in my build. I have enjoyed seeing all the 914s that where built and on the road, and all the others that where being built and did not make it. Some seriously fine workmanship has been represented and it has been a pleasure to be counted in this group.

So for my progress.

challenges.

Still looking for my clip for the steering rack. blink.gif confused24.gif I just need to go to the hardware store and pick up a clip.

Still waiting on the suspension pieces to come in. Need to get the suspension to bolt it on, and see where things fall so I can weld on fender flares, and set up for some other work. Like seeing if my oil pan is in low rider status.

Vendors supported:
Rothsport

On other notes:
Finger is fully functional, piratenanner.gif I survived and have been working in the shop on some other projects. Lots of stuff piled up while my primary hand was down for the count.Working harder than a one armed paper hanger to get them done and out of the way so I can get back on the 914.

I did rebuild two tractors, an equipment and boat trailer in the last month.

Can't wait to see some of you at Okteenerfest. My car will not be present, as it is still on the rotisserie and being slowly smoked via welder.gif

JoeDees
I haven't done shit to the car.

I had some serious dog drama that killed the budget (not that I was spending anything anyways) which really just took a lot out of my motivation. This was followed by one of my "Hunter S Thompson" months where I just drank and wrote notes. I'm also sitting in a limbo regarding my future employment/way of life, so I couldn't in good conscience make the move to further strip the car for paint prep since I don't know how quickly I'll have to throw the car together to move... I've also rationalized the decisions to pause on the build so I can have more work to do with my dad when I move back to Kentucky next year.
MichiganMat
July/August Progress:
Chassis is finally ready for bead-blasting and prime!
Reinforced the rear suspension mounts.
Mocked up the Wilwood pedal install.
Rebuilt my rotisserie to prepare for transport to blasting shop.
Started work on the engine/trans mount.
Got the suspension bits back from powder coating, they look amazing.

Chassis should be off to the blaster early next week, then I can focus on installing the floorpans, and prepping for paint.

Challenges:
As always, time. Had a few good track-days with my 911 and it finally broke down. Spent a few good long days repairing it.
Also, money: I need to put in a big order for suspension bits, putting it off as long as possible.

In all, the chassis-prep has taken much longer than I expected. I thought Id have the work all wrapped up in early May but theres just been so many little details to work through.

Vendor Participation:
None at this time, though I need to order more metal from Resto Design soon.

Pictures:
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
poorsche914
Well... the only thing done on my original TO DO list is installing the Raby 2056.
Since then, I have dealt with several issues just to keep it on the road since my 914 is my daily driver.

With mechanicals pretty much done now (only took 6 years!), rust repair and cosmetics are left. I can live with that smile.gif

driving.gif
stevegm
There a lot of great cars in this thing. I am amazed at the work everyone did. It should be a close contest.

It might be helpful to those voting if each challenger posted a list of the primary tasks they completed on the car over the past year, whether the car is "done," whether it is drivable, and how they did on accomplishing their goals.
Darren C
Month 12,

Thanks again guy’s for the kind words of encouragement in my Build thread. Like I said earlier, there’s some really great work gone on this last 12 months in the 2016 Build-off-Challenge, I’ve really enjoyed seeing and reading others progress on their 14’s.

So on to month 12 and to September 14th final round of judging.

This takes me up to day 350 of my 914 ownership and 11 ½ months of the build. I did a rough count and I believe I found on average 6 hours a day, every week day and somewhere around 26 hours each weekend (not counting my visit to ER when I had the TIA stroke) to work relentlessly on the car. This didn’t include maybe 30 minutes a day writing up my diary for 914world.

So all in all I reckon to take my 914 from an unloved wreck that hadn’t been driven in 7 years, to a car that anyone of us would be proud of, took me 2800 man hours.
Plus 175 hours sat at my PC writing this diary and uploading pictures!

Not forgetting that 90% of this build was done in a 16ft x 8ft garage a block away from my house with no power or light.

As an overseas participant and due to the time line of my build I wasn't eligible to ANY of the great vendor deals or discounts on offer.

So what you see is purely for benefit to others as I took no personal gain from being a participant in this contest. (Apart from maybe a tee shirt to come. I presume we get these at the end Steve? after the final results?)

So…..to bring us up to date, check out my build thread here.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...7250&st=100

Enjoy!
trojanhorsepower
No progress. My tail end of this build has fallen on its face. After not being able to fit that quarter panel, I guess I just pushed it away.
I never even got to the point of needing any of the great vendor deals. Oh well. I did make some progress this year, probably more than I would have with out the contest. Thanks to everyone who participated.
Garland
September Update: Michigan Build
Michigan Build Link

Short monthly update posts.
October Update Link Page Post #59 ...... .......Garland Michigan Build link, the whole story
November Update Link Page Post #94.....December Update Link Page Post # 127
January Update Link Page Post # 169.....February Update Link Page Post #199
March Update Link Page Post #232…….April Update Link Page Post #245
May Update Link Page Post #257…..June Update Link Page Post #275
July Update Link Page Post #297
August Update Link Page Post # 314

Build progress :

A lot has happen in this month. I was going to just finish up a few things little things over the last 14 days, and then, I should paint the car!, since I'm going to Okteenerfest. So, I sprayed Plasti-Dip flat white. Came out OK, and I can peel it off!

The engine was running some what rough. So I learned a lot about carb adjustment, and balancing. Thanks for the help from our community. That took a while, I'v always run FI.

Changed out the targa sail trim back to chrome, from black. Installed wiper arms, lettering on the grill also chrome, from black.

Drove it and pictures last Sunday. Im done.

Unexpected challenges:

Last second, 3 day labor day weekend paint job.

Vendors:

Local Paint supplier.

Progress Pictures:

Here are some before and after pictures, and a few others.

5 Major Tasks to complete during the Challenge:

1. Replace back half of rear trunk floor. (Rusted, rear ended, poorly patched)

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

& Replace entire rear body panel, and Bumper. (Rear ended, poorly repaired)

& Patch in 1/2 left front fender. (Poorly repaired)

2. Delete headlamp doors, modify hood, and relocate headlamps.

3. Install 4 steel flares, and modify all valances. 5 lug, and wheel tire package.

4. Build up, and replace engine.

1.7 914 Engine balanced
260 x 396 Cam .006
96mm Big Bore kit
Mallory Unlite Distributor 14004
Weber 40 DCNF (w/ very short intakes)
Air jet 1.80 Main 1.25
2.0 L exhaust

5. Major interior renew.

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

Un-planed:

6. Paint

Misc:
Turbo tie rod ends, rack spacers, and firmer springs and shocks. Also went with a pair of old front calipers I had from the 70's these are Girling calipers, that were tested for use on some VW's And a few other things. Also a stock steering wheel.

I try to use original hardware, and parts, where i can.

Previously installed Dr.Evil rear view mirror, 3rd brake lamp, and Triad exhaust. Sound system 5 way amp, w-sub and iPod plug only, no head unit.

Without the challenge, and all of the members here, I would have never got this done, much less within a year. Since as an example my other project car is over 10 years a work in process.

I have enjoyed working, and sharing the thing I enjoy doing with my free time. I have been an owner since the 70's and still enjoy every view. See some of you at Okteenerfest, my last 914 event was
2005 Mid-West Classic I took this same car there then. Im long over do.

Thank you, to all.

Don't miss the videos!

Video #1

Video #2

Video #3

Video #4
Garland
Click to view attachment
Olympic 914
9-14 Day 2016

Well its 9-14 day and my car is not running, so I am not the winner. But like many others that made progress on their cars during this year, none of us are losers in this challenge.
I did make a real effort to get it done in time trying to work on the 914 every day, some days only a little got done, others days I made good progress. Never giving up.

Progress.
Got the body work done, prepped primered and painted.
Rebuilt the steering rack and powder coated, rebuilt and installed the suspension and brakes. Converting to 5 bolt. Refinished the headlight mechanisms and many other small parts.

When you boil it down to a couple sentences it sure doesn’t seem like a whole year’s worth of work.

Challenges were many. From my bodywork inexperience, to finding parts and making them fit. This I expect to continue.

I used many vendors,
PMB, 914 Rubber, 914 Ltd, Pelican, Tangerine and many others that don’t immediately come to mind. Garold supplied some body parts. And a friend, One-Eyed Tony let me regularly raid his parts car.

Thanks to all.

Especially to my GF Debbie for putting up with the massive expenditure of time and cash I have put into this little car. A car that she still hasn’t ridden in after 24 years! It’s been off the road since 1989 , 27 years and counting.

Also thanks to Steve for coming up with the idea for this Challenge and the work he put into prompting people to get their votes in, tabulating and posting the results. And the many of you that voted for my build and kept it around the top 5 competitors.

The end of the 914 Challenge does not end the project.

I intend to persevere until I get to drive this car again.

Tom
DRPHIL914
some amazing builds here as we wrap up a year of work- I have not done as much as I wanted and simply ran out of time and money, but, the biggest accomplishment was getting the fender lips fixed/replaced and having all the lower longs and floor pan rust replaced!!! pictures and documentation of that work is on my thread, a few were put here too., but I am happy that I can drive a structurally solid car. I do wish the paint was done, but there will be time to do this in the fall, and that plan is scheduled and in the works.
My hat off to all the other projects here but in particular I will mention a few I think are absolutely stunning and have completed their projects:
Darren C : WOW!!! beerchug.gif beer.gif beer3.gif piratenanner.gif this build was simply awesome in detail and documentation, amazing work and has to be in the top 2 in this competition
Olympic 1.7: what a beautiful car! and completely stripped and completed car with all the detail wow.
- cant think of the name but the Yellow car that is getting sold- right there with these 2 cars as well awesome, I would love to owne any of these cars and hope mine looks just as amazing as yours when I get the paint done!!!!

also so awesome with craftsman ship and work are Garland- , Nutter, Andrew and Trojan -- cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif what great competition!

this was a great idea and I hope I get to see another one in the future.

- what I completed on my car:
all the rust repair with full Longs and jackpoints replaced, floor pans,petal area etc,
New Dash and pad - I recovered the seats myself with 914 rubber kits!! I put in the seat heater stuff, wired it myself, carpet kit and cocomats, the interior is all ess new- door cards from 914rubber/914AP- some other touches,

I cleaned out all the undercoating that was sprayed in the front trunk,
-did the 5 lug conversion for Fuchs, bought new completely refurb 16x6 &7 Fuchs;
-new headliner in the targa top
-new calipers from PMB performance- new brake lines , including fron and back new bearings , bushings , turbo tie rods and ball joints-
almost everything in did was UNDER the car or IN the car -
- new distributor, injectors rebuilt the MPS, planned on rebuild but found motor had good compression so we did not do that just tune and go
Darren C
To celebrate 9-14 day (and because I liked very much John’s (Garland) photo montage) I thought I post a few of my favourite pictures from my build. Some that I’ve posted before and some you guy’s haven’t seen yet….

Starting with my very favourite picture…..enjoy

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
Mueller
0 progress in the last month or so since I've taken apart my motor for a bad camshaft and broken exhaust studs.

I honestly thought at the beginning of this Challenge I'd be further along, oh well it was nice seeing other people do some great work.
DRPHIL914
first.gif
beautiful car Darren C
jor
agree.gif

Plus, Darren's detailed posts have really helped me in my own project. Thank you Darren!!
Darren C
QUOTE(jor @ Sep 14 2016, 08:35 PM) *

agree.gif

Plus, Darren's detailed posts have really helped me in my own project. Thank you Darren!!

You're most welcome. Regardless of who wins the vote, if my or anyone else's build threads have help, inspired or even just entertained a fellow Fourteener, our job is complete.

The pleasure for me is in the sharing.
3d914
QUOTE(Darren C @ Sep 14 2016, 12:11 PM) *

To celebrate 9-14 day (and because I liked very much John’s (Garland) photo montage) I thought I post a few of my favourite pictures from my build. Some that I’ve posted before and some you guy’s haven’t seen yet….

Starting with my very favourite picture…..enjoy

Darren, Beautiful car. I love that color. I also like the way the undercoating came out. What did you use?

Enjoy!
dlee6204
Final Update:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=248776

In the past month I have spent all my time painting the engine bay and underneath and installing the motor and everything necessary to get it running. Luckily I was able to start my car for the first time yesterday and it felt great. The plan is get the car on the road in the next week.

I have a long to-do list for this weekend but I'm going to take a day off work on Monday to try and knock it all out. I went ahead and contacted the insurance company today and plan to go to the DMV the end of the week to get it ready for the road. driving.gif

Vendors: I have spent most of the my money at Restoration Design, 914Rubber, and PMB Performance. I have been pleased with everything and the discounts/sales have really been great.

Unfortunately with this build, I got a late start. Life took too much of my time and money and I wasn't able to dig into this project until this March. So pretty much in 6 months I fixed all the major rust on the car, painted some of it, rebuilt the motor, and got it running. Back in May I made a schedule for this build to meet my goal and I'm happy to say that I am only about a week off from that schedule which is pretty incredible given all the work and items that popped up during the build. Not too shabby. I will say though I'm looking forward to have some free weekends after I get this on the road.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Andyrew
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=114780

Andyrew's Build Recap:

I had a fantastic time with this build. Lots of ups and downs, but I accomplished more in my year working on the car than I have done on the car through its 15 years in my hands. I always wanted to do a custom engine conversion and this was just that.

What I didnt do yet.

Complete my custom interior sad.gif
Integrate the Audi ABS/Stability control system sad.gif
Integrate the Audi Heater/AC system sad.gif
Roast the tires in third gear (SO CLOSE! If My tune was right I could have bumped the boost up)

What I DID do! This all took WAY longer than I thought it would. The past few months have involved a lot of driving and trying to tune the car. I have about 30 hours in tuning the engine and were pretty close to square one at this point as were starting over. dry.gif

Wiring layout/strip and integration into 914 wiring(Lights and wipers)
A. Finish ID'ing every plug
B. Finish stripping wiring (Dash harness, body harness, and engine harness)
C. Finish removing 914 wiring as well as existing wire identification
D. Install Audi harnesses
- 1. Locate and test install engine harness in body.
- 2. Locate and install dash harness in body.
- 3. Locate and install body harness in body.
- 4. Install engine harness in body.
E. Run power lines to the battery
F. Install battery and check for any shorts
G. Wire up lights and wipers
H. Wire up electric water pump
I. Wire up boost controller
J. Wire up intercooler temp controller
K. Wire up AFR gauge
L. Wire fuel pumps

Audi engine/trans install
A. Remove v8 and cut out all non essential brackets and shelving in the engine bay.
B. Mount the mock up engine/trans together and locate it in the engine bay.
C. Cut out sections of the trunk for clearance
D. Create motor and trans mounts and mount engine/trans
E. Mount turbo and route plumbing for intercooler
F. Mock up and measure cv joints for order
G. Mount new fuel pump and run lines
H. Rebuild engine and install forged rods, and upgraded valves, and springs and bearings and balance and blueprint the engine
I. Locate water pump, water reservor and lines
J. Plum intercooler pump, reservor, lines and radiator
K. Plumb oil cooler lines and run turbo lines
L. Run transmission shifter cables to the cabin, bleed clutch
M. Fabricate exhaust system
N. Oil and water in engine, hood up electrical connections except spark plugs, crank engine for 2 minutes to generate oil pressure and check for leaks.
O. Check ECU for error codes and address as needed.
P. Finalize connections and fire engine.
Q. Figure out what went wrong, fix it, and actually start the engine
R. Drive a 914 turbo (You cant turbo a 914!) for the first time
S. Light up the tires in First
T. Light up the tires in Second
U. Drive it 200 miles

Custom 914 interior.

A. Build 1/2 of the dash
B. Pick out vinyl material
C. Have vinyl material pressed to factory basketweave drooley.gif

Some of my favorite pics of the car and the progress.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

My favorite videos so far. Thanks all for watching! This has been a great year and I've had a blast watching everyone else's builds!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSrB9kXreM4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOCFI15nTfU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jk5V1cL0pbk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyvYJuyYtDI

IPB Image

IPB Image
3d914
914-SHO Project

Final Status: incomplete

Goals & Progress:
  • Remove all undercoating - completed
  • Replace rear jack donuts - completed
  • Repair assorted damage under front trunk - completed
  • Rebuild area adjacent to right-rear jack donut - completed
  • Finish dash & steering removal - completed
  • Fabricate & enclose cutout in rear trunk to look somewhat stock - completed
  • Primer underside prior to undercoating - completed
  • Undercoating applied - not completed
  • Engine bay, trunks, and interior soda blasted - not completed
  • Finish body work and primer - not completed
  • Finish paint - interior & exterior - not completed

Didn't make near enough progress this year, but I'll keep at it. Thanks for watching.

Some progress pictures:
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

jkb944t
The contest is over but the work is probably never completely done for any of us! Having a full time plus job I wasn’t able to commit the amount of time that Darren did (fantastic job Darren!) but I did get the car to a finished point.

Click to view attachment

I got it aligned yesterday (three hours) and it really drives nicely now. I took it to a Porsche car show at Gervasi vineyard yesterday (9-14) which was another milestone for me. Everyone was amazed at how nice it looked. This certainly made me feel really good since it was a crazy amount of work to get it to this point.

Click to view attachment

I can absolutely understand anyone who didn’t get their car done because it is such a huge commitment of time and effort. I really want to thank the Build-Off Challenge for pushing all of us to have a deadline to work to. I also want to thank the 914 vendors who helped especially Mark at 914 Rubber. I also want to thank Garold Shaffer and others on the board that helped out in various ways.

I was too busy finishing working on the car yesterday to get good pictures so I will try to update my build thread in a day or two with some better pictures.

Jeff B
Nutter965
Well, I'm late as per usual ! Sorry guys didn't get it finished but I will

Still working away and it will be finished, the dark night are here again so the workshop beckons in the evenings and it will keep moving forward and I'll keep my thread updated so you can all see it finished ..

Latest is the front bump repair

Click to view attachment

These will be turning !

Click to view attachment

"The power to preform ... We'll see "

Darren C
QUOTE(3d914 @ Sep 15 2016, 01:41 AM) *

Darren, Beautiful car. I love that color. I also like the way the undercoating came out. What did you use?

Enjoy!

Thanks Gerard, your car looks great too, some really superb metal work going on! The stone guard is a trade product made by T-Euro part no T3001
I tested quite a few but this one dried to an almost perfect very dark grey (even though they call it black) to match the original Porsche coating.

http://www.tradegroup.co.uk/stone-chip.html
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.