Price? Or did I miss that?
rfinegan
+1 please
Amphicar770
+1 for me
budk
QUOTE(AndyB @ Dec 3 2015, 12:47 PM) *

Price? Or did I miss that?

you missed it.... " NEW Group Buy 914 Master Cylinders $110 each" .... hidden in plain sight. beer.gif
Mike D.
I want 1 too, or 2 too, maybe. smile.gif
80cap
I also am in for one
mbseto
I think there was another thread recently cautioning against getting a larger master cylinder with the stock calipers. IIRC, the problem was that braking becomes less progressive. My gut tells me 17mm to 19mm is probably OK, can someone share practical experience?
Dave_Darling
When you install a larger master cylinder, you reduce your "hydraulic advantage" over the caliper pistons. It's almost exactly the same effect as moving the pivot point of the brake pedal.

The 19mm M/C has 25% more area to the piston than the 17mm one does. That means to get the same clamping force at the calipers, you have to exert 25% harder, though the pedal moves 25% less distance.

Most people seem to agree that the 19mm is a reasonable swap, but going up to 23mm (which I believe the earlier thread was talking about) is a Very Bad Idea unless you are significantly upgrading the caliper piston sizes.

--DD
mb911
I would also be in for one
Mark Henry
I'm in for one for sure...maybe put me down for two.

I don't think you'll have any trouble getting rid of the extra one if I don't take it.
7TPorsh
I'd be in for a 17mm.
PotterPorsche
I'm in for 1
Mark Henry
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Dec 4 2015, 03:33 PM) *

I'd be in for a 17mm.

If I get the jist Mikey (Mark) trying to put together the numbers for a fair size production run, so he's likely he's going to only be able to do the one size, 19mm.
19mm was likely chosen as it's the best size for a large enough production run to re-coop his investment from both the 914 and 911 crowd.
Likely he can't get the same per unit price on smaller runs for different sizes.
jcd914
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Dec 4 2015, 02:04 PM) *

QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Dec 4 2015, 03:33 PM) *

I'd be in for a 17mm.

If I get the jist Mikey (Mark) trying to put together the numbers for a fair size production run, so he's likely he's going to only be able to do the one size, 19mm.
19mm was likely chosen as it's the best size for a large enough production run to re-coop his investment from both the 914 and 911 crowd.
Likely he can't get the same per unit price on smaller runs for different sizes.

agree.gif

That is what he says back in post 38.

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Oct 22 2015, 01:13 PM) *

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Oct 21 2015, 11:37 PM) *

QUOTE(Porscheless @ Oct 21 2015, 09:59 PM) *

I am in....Is there a larger(23? )mm option?Is this even necessary if i do a larger engine

Possible,
I'll be discussing with Eric tomorrow. Going to see how we can optimize the program.
Mark

Looks like we are best at sticking with the 19mm for the time being. Yes we will be proceeding on these. May even make some improvements aktion035.gif

7TPorsh
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Oct 22 2015, 05:12 PM) *

QUOTE(BillC @ Oct 22 2015, 07:27 AM) *

I'd like to get one, too.

However, if at all possible, I'd prefer to get one that is the correct stock size for my '73 1.7, since I'm planning to keep it all-stock. Any chance of doing a second GB at some point for the original size?

What is the original size, anyway? 17mm?

I'll get you covered, trust me biggrin.gif

Guess I should have quoted. i assumed 17mm would be covered at some point. Can't you just sleeve the cylinder down to 17mm? I obviously have no clue.

"I would gladly pay you today for a 17mm on Tuesday." smile.gif
Mikey914
These will be 19mm.

Progress is that we are working on the tooling for the casting now. We have located a new ATE sample and are reverse engineering it. There are over 20 parts we will need to fabricate to make this we have 3 done at this point. Just like making a V2 rocket, but we will be doing some extensive testing on it to. It's being made with under our new manufacturing division. It will be a fully engineered part.
biggrin.gif
02loftsmoor
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Oct 21 2015, 05:22 PM) *

I'm working on having new master cylinders made for the 914's. They are going to be 19mm to crossover for the 911 also. Now you can get a quality part at a reasonable price. These are about 90 days out, but they will be a quality product, that is fully engineered, not some junk imported from China.

Who's in?

I'm in
eric914
+1
Bossman
+2
restore2seater
Add 1 to the list for me.
kid914
me likes new parts...even more when they are improved....
in for 1... first.gif beerchug.gif
TC 914-8
Mark I'm in for 1 if they are still available ?!?!
Mikey914
Actually not ready yet. SO no problem.
Mark
TC 914-8
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Dec 3 2015, 04:23 PM) *

When you install a larger master cylinder, you reduce your "hydraulic advantage" over the caliper pistons. It's almost exactly the same effect as moving the pivot point of the brake pedal.

The 19mm M/C has 25% more area to the piston than the 17mm one does. That means to get the same clamping force at the calipers, you have to exert 25% harder, though the pedal moves 25% less distance.

Most people seem to agree that the 19mm is a reasonable swap, but going up to 23mm (which I believe the earlier thread was talking about) is a Very Bad Idea unless you are significantly upgrading the caliper piston sizes.

--DD

Dave,
My car has the Brembo Boxster calipers up front, not sure if the MC was ever changed. My petal is still soft after many bleedings and purgings. You think a 19mm is a good choice? Or 23mm that came w boxters?
I have stocks w V kit in rear
Just curious

T
914bub
Mark
Not to beat a dead horse,....but......any word on weather you might tap the reservoir hose holes for actual fittings? My MC is brand new and works well besides that,(it leaks). If you tap those I'm in, otherwise I can't really justify buying another. Any info would be great.

Thanks again for all you do for us!
danoswork
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Dec 31 2015, 12:56 PM) *

Actually not ready yet. SO no problem.
Mark

interested in one, local, live in Tigard.
Cheers!
Mikey914
We have a better solution for these that when available you more than likely will want. Unfortunately, since we are actually doing testing on these and the number of parts required to make these means we have to work on it one at a time. It will be awhile before these are available.
enikolayev
Count me in for one as well.

Eugene
914bub
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jan 4 2016, 08:00 AM) *

We have a better solution for these .......

confused24.gif Could you give any more insight into improvements? If it's too early in the game I understand.
whitetwinturbo
+1 please beer3.gif
maddin
I'd have one too please!
02loftsmoor
If I didn't put my name in the hat, I am now..
Wes
ctkellett
I am in for one.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(TC 914-8 @ Dec 31 2015, 04:42 PM) *

My car has the Brembo Boxster calipers up front, not sure if the MC was ever changed. My petal is still soft after many bleedings and purgings. You think a 19mm is a good choice? Or 23mm that came w boxters?

The Boxster MC will be boosted. Without a power assist, you may find that the 32mm one requires a large amount of leg to activate.

I don't know what the piston sizes in the Boxster calipers are like compared with the stock ones. It's good to keep near the stock ratio of total caliper piston area to master cylinder piston area, but I don't know the specific numbers for your case. But that should keep the pedal effort near stock.

--DD
pneuhyde
I am in for one, too.

Steve
marksteinhilber
I'll need one too. I'm reworking all brakes as I complete the five lug upgrade and refresh the suspension. Just over a year on the jack stands... Count me in.
mbseto
I'm thinking I'll be in for one by the time they come out. Why so early in the process, is the GB more for gauging interest than economics?
marksteinhilber
Any news on progress, improvements, and how far out on these? Excited about the ugrade and planned improvements. I hope the connection for the reservoir lines is one of them! ar15.gif sawzall-smiley.gif piratenanner.gif welder.gif smash.gif stirthepot.gif
Mikey914
Yes some progress, but there are many parts we have to make to get these done, I'd like to say they will be ready on X date, but it's a dart in the calendar at this point. I can say by end of summer (or before) I will have a needed related item.
RoadGlue
Thanks for the update. I missed this the first time around. +1 for sure.
NeunEinVier
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jan 4 2016, 10:00 AM) *
Unfortunately, since we are actually doing testing on these and the number of parts required to make these means we have to work on it one at a time.

Cool, video the testing while you're at it, no doubt everybody would like to see it.
SKL1
Boy if these have some better arrangement for the supply lines I'd be in for 2. I absolutely HATE getting those damned lines to fit and get the rubber connections and washers in correctly, especially without removing the gas tank!!!!
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Mar 11 2016, 01:00 PM) *

I can say by end of summer (or before) I will have a needed related item.

idea.gif

popcorn[1].gif
Mikey914
QUOTE(NeunEinVier @ Mar 11 2016, 04:39 PM) *

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jan 4 2016, 10:00 AM) *
Unfortunately, since we are actually doing testing on these and the number of parts required to make these means we have to work on it one at a time.

Cool, video the testing while you're at it, no doubt everybody would like to see it.

We will be sending these parts out for independent testing. So maybe, I would expect these will be poles of documentation
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.