Full Version: Optimusglen's build off challenge
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
mb911
Just an fyi your bumper is shipping today
Optimusglen
QUOTE(mb911 @ Oct 28 2016, 12:47 PM) *

Just an fyi your bumper is shipping today

Great! Let me know the tracking number when you can.
Optimusglen
Progress.

Finally got myself to pressure wash the tins the other day. Then hit them with a quick coat of paint.

Today I mounted most of them.
IPB Image

Then I spent most of the day cross legged in the engine bay with a bottle of purple degreaser, a small brush, and two rolls of shop towels.

IPB Image

After that I was able to install the new engine bay seals.

IPB Image

So much better.

Also ordered a new alternator, pretty soon the engine will be ready to go in!
Cairo94507
Terrific work. The engine will love living in that bay.
Frankvw
Wow, your engine bay cleaned up very nice. That must have cost some hours of dirty work !
Optimusglen
Definitely.

I sprayed it down with degreaser a couple days before to let it soak a bit, then just sat in there with a spray bottle, a small brush, and rolls of shop towels. It was dirty, and gross, and I had to wear a respirator so the fumes didn't kill me, but I knew I'd be thanking myself later.

Also inspected the "repair" done by someone in the past.
IPB Image

Fortunately the other side broke it's welds off clean. This side will be ground off with a cutoff wheel. I have access to an endmill and lathe after hours at work, so I will probably design and build my own hinges in the spirit of the J West hinges.
Optimusglen
Getting closer. Oil tower installed, rest of the tins installed, alternator and belt installed. Throttle linkage installed but not entirely set up yet. I want to dig back through the archives and find a thread I saw at one point talking about this style linkage.

IPB Image

As much as I would love to purchase new linkage that's more accurate, with a baby on the way the time frame and cash flow for this project are greatly diminished.

My wife convinced me to buy a new alternator instead of rebuilding mine, probably more to save time, but she's pretty awesome anyway. Just a shame it's hidden away.

I do wish I could have spent more time on the tins, sandblasting and powder coating, but I just can't do it. I need to get this in the car as soon as possible and since this will be a driver and not a trailer queen it's not a huge deal.

Also I cleaned up the thermostat a bit, looks like someone had spray painted or something.
IPB Image

I was going to look into rebuilding it following this article.
http://www.ratwell.com/technical/Thermostats.html
But upon looking at my pic and the pics in the article, I think mine may be acceptable. I will measure it and test it to be sure.

Tonight I'll be installing the fuel hardline down the tunnel and then setting up the mixture of hard and soft lines getting it up to the carbs.
raynekat
Everything is looking super.
Especially that engine compartment.
Well done!
FourBlades

Great job on the project so far! smilie_pokal.gif

John

Optimusglen
Thanks guys!

Yesterday was productive. Finished the fuel system. Hard and soft lines. And getting the power up to the front for the fuel pump. Chopped out the remains of the battery tray and the seized trunk hinge. There were some booger welds on the other side from where the other hinge broke off so had to grind those off too. Replaced both and decided to bolt the cups in and remove the tension springs. I will add gas struts later. Then I finished the pedal cluster and installed, and installed my master cyclinder, didn't have time to bleed the brakes though. New clear tubing down to the master, installed the feed pipes and tubing with new seals first, then fed them up through the holes.

I think next time I'm in the garage I will be sorting the engine mounts and installing the engine and transmission!
whitetwinturbo
santa_smiley.gif stirthepot.gif santa_smiley.gif
rudedude
Are you going to leave as a tail shift? I believe that is what you have isn't it?
Might have all the parts you need gathering dust for side shift.
Jule
Optimusglen
It is a tail shift. For now at least I'll need to keep it, the limits on time and money are wuickly approaching. I'd love a side shift, but it's not in the cards.
Optimusglen
Yes, I have one of them on order.

Another day in the garage, I built a positive pressure bleeder to keep the reservoir full and pressurized to about 3psi. I have speed-bleeders on all 4 corners so it was pretty simple to crack the bleeder, pump the pedal several times to move fluid through, then close the bleeder. Bled them in the correct order (RR, LR, RF, LF) and adjusted the rear brake pad clearance before and after. Got all corners bled and ran out of fluid, I'll let it rest and then bleed the whole set again once I pick up some more fluid.

I didn't have a chance to fully rebuild the axles, it'll need to wait until later. I absolutely needed to get the car on the ground and moved over today, so that meant not hooking up all the cables just yet and just getting the axles in. In my VW days I know that if you rolled a MK1/2/3 VW Rabbit/Golf/Jetta without the axles in place, you'd ruin the bearings. Not sure if that's the case with the 914's, but better safe than sorry.

Once the brakes were done and the axles in, it was time to mount the wheels again and lower the car. It's been a mystery exactly what the "stance" would look like so I was very excited to see what I had. I knew that I would probably want to space the fronts out a bit, and that the rears would be close to the fender even after I rolled the lip.

IPB Image

Happy to report that the rears are about perfect. On full compression they tuck inside with almost a centimeter of room. The fronts DO need to be spaced out, I'll start with 20mm and go from there.

I rolled it outside in the daylight.

IPB Image

Never before has the orange rocker covers and front lower panel looked so odd. Can't wait until it's warmer and I can paint those...

IPB Image

So now that the car is on the ground and my wife can park inside again I'll be hitting small things here and there on the weekends, the goal is still February for running/driving.
PanelBilly
Looks like the front is sitting high. It's not much work to lower it a bit.
Optimusglen
Yes, that's on the list too.
Optimusglen
More un-progress.

I decided to put the Compomotive Fuchs up for sale with the tires and get something else. After a bunch of forum reading I settled on Euromeister Fuchs in 16x7 all around. These will get the same RSR treatment as the previous wheels, or something close.

IPB Image

Here's someone elses car with the same wheels/size/offset. Stole it from Facebook. If this is you, sorry, and thanks. smile.gif

IPB Image

Since my last update I also got the headers blasted and ready for paint or powdercoat. Been working on some projects for Eric at PMB and in return got a new pair of rear rotors to finish out my brakes. Picked up a new speedo cable, but have not installed. Started assembling the shift linkage but have not adjusted.

Work in the garage is delayed even more though, we had a pretty big scare late last week. TL;DR at the bottom

Last Wednesday my wife went into the clinic because her leg started swelling up. She had some lower back and hip pain on that side for a few days prior. They did an ultrasound and discovered a massive clot (DVT) from her ankle all the way up into her hip. Any amount of googling will tell you this is a very serious thing.

We transported her over to the hospital where they got her on some blood thinners and kept her overnight Wednesday. She started on pill blood thinners and also shots to get it started while the pills built up. Thursday they did another ultrasound and saw that the clot was extending all the way up into her abdomen. Later on Thursday they prepped her and did a procedure. First they went in through her neck to place a safety screen/mesh in her chest. This would catch any rogue blood clot bits and potentially save her life. Next they put a special catheter in at her knee and fed it up into her abdomen. This catheter has several holes that slowly soak the clot with a breakup drug. The catheter also has a wire inside emitting an ultrasound pulse that helps to break up clots. They left all this in place overnight and moved her into the ICU for the night. Surrounded by machines buzzing and beeping.

Friday they did a follow up procedure and were less than impressed. They went in with different tools to pull out as much of the clot as they could. Got her on an IV drip instead of the shots. We spent the day in the ICU and that evening were moved into a regular room. Friday night and Saturday morning we had to resume the shots.

She saw a physical therapist and did some practice walking and stairs, then were discharged Saturday night.

With blood clots, the big fear is some breaking loose and traveling to the heart, lungs, or brain causing paralysis, stroke, cardiac events, and/or death. Another fear is needing the limb amputated due to internal damage, or cronic swelling and cronic pain. We're blessed that she is recovering and that the pain is going down. She will be on the blood thinning pills for months, and I will be administering shots every 12 hours for several days. It is quite possible that she will have cronic swelling and the pain that comes with it for the rest of her life.

In her current state she can't really take care of baby Wren. She can hold her and feed her, but cannot pick her up and walk with her, she can only walk with the use of a walker. It's saddening seeing your 29 year old wife struggling to walk to the bathroom with a walker. sad.gif So dad duty is at 100%, while also working from home whenever possible because I ran out of vacation days to use, and I am pulling nurse duty too since she cannot give herself the injections that are needed every 12 hours. We have friends and family that are helping out but it is still very hard.

Needless to say, work on the car has halted and will resume at a later date. Maybe when it's warm enough that I can have baby out in the garage with me.

TL;DR
-wife almost died - massive leg blood clot
-working through helping her, being a new dad, and the day job
-progress on the car has stopped for now, will resume later on
914time
Glen, I'm very sorry to hear this for you and your family...how scary! Thank you for sharing with your 914World family.

Stay strong for your wife and Wren and your friends and family will be strong for you.

Thoughts and good wishes to you guys.
raynekat
Glen...that's an incredible and scary story. Hits home as my wife is just over 30 weeks pregnant now. I send you all my warm wishes and hopes to you and your family. You've definitely got your plate full. Best of luck with everything and hope it all works out for the best.
simonjb
God Speed to recovery
bretth
Best wishes for the speedy return to good health.

Brett
RickS
May her recovery be swift and complete. Unbelievable that this happened to a 29 YO.
matthepcat
Scary. May her recovery be speedy and you guys take this time to recognize you are blessed with each other.
pete-stevers
Great progress thread!! Keep us updated on how you are all doing! All the best to you and your family!!! biggrin.gif
Optimusglen
Thanks guys.

Wife is getting better, swelling and pain are decreasing. She can carry baby now so that's awesome. Continuing recovery.

Started refinishing the Euromeisters. Did a faux RSR because I didn't want to get them anodized. Lip is the stock machined/polished, inner width of the lip and the pedals are dull aluminum, and background is flat black. Pic was taken when they were still a bit wet so it looks glossy.

IPB Image

Loving how the first one came out.

Tires are Firestone Firehawk Indy-500 in 195/55-R16 because I wanted easy fitment.
raynekat
Wheels look super.
That tire size should work out real well too.

Glad to hear the wife is improving.
rudedude
Glen,
So sorry to read all of this. Hope everything continues to improve. If you need anything let me know. I'd also like to come see someday now that the weather is improving.
Jule
JustinMeier
Yikes!!!! and 29 even unsure.gif

Good thing medicine is what it is today or it sounds like it would have been a lot worse.
Optimusglen
Agreed.

She's making a quick recovery so far, swelling is down a lot, and pain is down too. No longer needs the walker to get around and can drive her car again (she drives a manual) All great stuff.

Couple more pics of the project. I finally had enough of the orange rocker covers. The bodywork/paint part of the project will be a few years down the line probably, and I wasn't about to wait that long to fix the rockers, so I just sprayed them quick.

Also mounted the wheels and rolled it out into the sunlight.

IPB Image

IPB Image

I want to drive this so bad. I might get a whole Saturday next week that I can tackle some more on it. Every time I put a list together of everything I still have to do the lsit gets longer and longer.
Cairo94507
Glen - God speed for a full and complete recovery for your wife. When stuff like that happens, the world stops in all other ways.

Oh, love the RSR finished wheels too. Are you going to off the front half of the left front fender and replace or try to straighten that?
Optimusglen
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Apr 1 2017, 04:43 PM) *

Glen - God speed for a full and complete recovery for your wife. When stuff like that happens, the world stops in all other ways.

Oh, love the RSR finished wheels too. Are you going to off the front half of the left front fender and replace or try to straighten that?

Thank You!

I am planning to chop the front half of the fender off and weld a new panel in. Already have the replacement but bodywork won't be for a few years I think. I pounded it out enough that I can put a turn signal bucket in there to drive.
Optimusglen
QUOTE(rudedude @ Mar 29 2017, 01:55 PM) *

Glen,
So sorry to read all of this. Hope everything continues to improve. If you need anything let me know. I'd also like to come see someday now that the weather is improving.
Jule

Sounds good Jule! My garage is a mess compared to yours, but you're welcome any time. Hopefully the car will be driving in a few weeks and I can make it down that way for a C&C.

Project update:
Last night I got the distributor in and hooked up. All plugs and wires are in but the boots don't make a good seal with the tins. I have another set of boots I will try.

I verified the engine timing and got a baseline for the ignition timing, then I adjusted all of the valves and installed the new speedo cable.

The angle drive was a bit wobbly, I took it out and looked it over. Looked as if one of the previous owners stripped out part of it, then instead of replacing it they drilled a hole and pinned it together. I enlarged the drilled hole a bit then put a small self tapping screw in to hold it all together for the time being, will replace later on.

Then started looking at my passenger suspension console. The rear right wheel has a noticeable amount of camber and upon searching here it sounds like a common cause is a rusty console on that side.

IPB Image

good news (maybe) is that the console is all rock solid, not even surface rust, just dirt. The plan is to remove that arm and see if the hole in the inner ear is ovaled out, and then just put it back together with shims. If I remember correctly, there are no shims in that side currently, the other side has a couple.

Got the shift bar in that goes from the firewall to the rear. So... much... slop... even with new bushings. Going to start looking into doing something with that.
Optimusglen
Big update!

There were no shims on the passenger side, which didn't help the excessive negative camber over there. Inspection of the structural components showed nothing but solid metal, no rusty spots or cracks. So I ordered up some shims from Tangerine Racing, and 3 longer bolts to be safe. It's now sitting nicely at -0.8 degrees of camber in the rear.

Early last week I got a good day in the garage

-new throttle cable installed
-fuel pump got it's final mounting sorted out and wired in
-stock shift linkage was installed and set roughly, the cable shift project will come later on
-installed a new trans-chassis grounding strap
-finished up the PCV system
-installed the headers and then the rear section of the exhaust

IPB Image

Exhaust doesn't look like much, but I like that about it.

The previous owner had this relay setup for the starter, kinda hacked in there. This pic is pre-teardown.
IPB Image
I'll be doing a hot start relay as well, but not like this. I'll be following Mark Henry's guide on this.

These rear springs came with the car, couldn't find much info on them.
IPB Image
Marked "HDS-1" and "14/93" <~~(I assume this is a spring rate marking, but no idea how this translates)

Did a bit of search but couldn't find out what the spring rate is, anyone here able to enlighten me?
Spring dimensions:
-15" long
-4.125" outside spring diameter
-.425 wire diameter

Using a spring rate calculator, I get approx 115 lb/in which I believe is very slightly higher than stock.

Late last week I got another good day in

-installed the fuel filler neck/cap
-tried to rebuild the fuel level sender, saw that it was badly corroded and beyond repair, chopped off the bottom and bolted the top to the tank to keep debris out for now
-installed the new fusebox
-installed the remaining wiring harness and starter cables, didn't do the hotstart relay yet, for now it went back to stock
-installed the new thermostat and cable
-installed an oil filter and filled it with oil

IPB Image

On Saturday I got out and tinkered with it a bit more. Primed the engine, tested the lights and ignition, everything works. Tested the fuel pump and that works too. Swapped the new rear brake rotors on.

Then last night I got out again. Got the front shocks in

Here are the fronts, old vs new. New ones are larger but they're also lighter. All the valving is in the upper section so it reduces unsprung weight even more.
IPB Image

Front's installed with new balljoints
IPB Image

rears I did a few days ago
IPB Image

Everything is back together but the car is up in the air with the wheels off. I had to disconnect the brake calipers up front. I was planning on bleeding them again anyway but this cements it in. Might try to sneak home early to do that today.

Also, rookie mistake... I knew the drivers outer tie rod was bad but the passenger side was solid still, I had ordered just the one side. As I got it all apart it became evident that the passenger side wasn't far behind, torn boot that was hidden. I put it all back together anyway and I'll order a new passenger side today.

Wife and baby update:
My wife is hanging in there, it's been hard on her. Last week her leg started to swell back up a little. Went in and the doc put her back on shots every 12 hours, just for the weekend. They did a CT scan because she felt funny, looking for clots in her lungs. Good news is that her lungs were clear, bad news was that they found something in one of her breasts.

A day of freaking out and then we went back for a detailed scan of it, turned out to be only a cyst so we're in the clear there. INR levels back up so she's off shots thankfully. Had another appointment with the blood doctor with the genetic results from a test she took several weeks ago, turns out she has two blood abnormalities that can both contribute to clotting, so she will be on blood thinners for life. sad.gif

In the last 3 months we've spent about $160k of the insurance companies money.

Baby Wren is doing wonderful, happy and healthy. Started sleeping 8 hours about a week ago.

IPB Image
barefoot
Please read other posts about not pre-filling oil filter cartridge.
Optimusglen
QUOTE(barefoot @ May 12 2017, 07:59 AM) *

Please read other posts about not pre-filling oil filter cartridge.

Don't worry, I didn't. I had already read that. When I said "filled with oil" I meant the engine, not the filter.

Engine was primed. Used an oil squirter to inject oil into a hole of the oil filter mount, effectively filling the oil pump. Installed the dry filter and filled the engine with oil. Cranked the engine only a few times until the oil pressure light went out.
914time
Glen, thank you for the update about you, your wife and Wren! I've been wondering about you guys. Sounds like most of it is going in the right direction.

Car looks great btw! Keep it up.
Optimusglen
It runs!

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LRd1X6T3Ws&t=1s[/VIDEO]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LRd1X6T3Ws&t=1s

Tomorrow I'll be towing it down to Further to get tuned.

Happy Mothers day everyone!
Optimusglen
IPB Image

IPB Image

Heard back from Tristan same day. So far it's looking really good. The base settings for the carb and ignition timing were plenty to get it running if you applied a bit of throttle. He did some tuning and it's pretty smooth but will be replacing the idle jets, moving from 50 to 55. He had to order the 55's which will be here Thursday. He had 60's that he tried but that went too far the other way. The carbs synced up really well, he had a couple minor suggestions regarding the carb linkage, mainly replacing the ball ends because of a tiny bit of slop, likewise with the central pivot.

I hadn't gotten a chance to install the clutch cable. I had a new one but wasn't sure if I needed it or not. They will be installing and adjusting that this week as well.

He noted a slight leak on the tail shifter. To be honest I hadn't really touched the transmission, never quite knew if I would be going to a side shifter or not so I didn't want to waste any time on it. Now that it's running I will probably revisit that, I did replace every bushing in the linkage and the metal to metal area at the rear has minimal wear, so for now I'll stick with it and address the leak.

I did a home alignment using the string method and accurate measuring to within 1/32" It should be plenty to be able to drive it and not destroy my tires, but I will be getting a professional alignment to make sure it's good.

So it's looking like next weekend I'll be ripping around in this thing!

Once I get it back I'll start making it look a bit more presentable, installing the missing chrome trim, grills, seatbelts, etc. I'll be re-keying all of the locks, and will probably get some audio wired in. Ya know, little stuff.
JmuRiz
Ahhhh, that sound brings back memories biggrin.gif

A tune and tweeks to everything (shifter etc) will do wonders....will bring a smile to your face for sure.
Optimusglen
Update on the car:

55s were money, runs great I hear.

It was having an issue with fueling, apparently the fuel pump was getting power, just not enough amps to build the full 3.5 psi. they swapped a couple of the relays and now it's getting the juice, so I will be ordering new ones to be safe.

They will be doing the clutch cable this week then driving it to see if any other adjustments are needed.
Optimusglen
Update:

Baby: 4 month regression is real. Just hit it and we're feeling the pain. We have a sleep plan though so there is hope. otherwise baby is awesome, she keeps getting cuter. Loosing some of her birth hair but I read that it's pretty normal.

Wife: Unfortunately there's some regression here too, she was clotting back up through the blood thinners. When they went to put the stent in they couldn't get through. Started back up on shots every 12 hours to bring her back in range. Did some tests to make sure that Warfarin was actually doing something. Found out it was so they upped her dose and took her off the shots. Went back in a week later (yesterday) and her numbers were low again, so we're back on shots until Friday and they upped her dosage again. Frustrating that they can't get her levels in check, but we're moving forward. Once she has been in a good range for a month or so they will try again for the stent.

Me: battling a cold that I picked up from baby, wreaking havoc on my throat, blah.

Car: I picked up the car from the shop yesterday! They put the new clutch cable in just because I didn't get a chance to before I brought it down to them. Carbs are tuned well, runs great. The home alignment I did is great, tracks straight. Drove it into work today, going to try to make it to a local European car gathering this evening, and then C&C this weekend. Still lots to do for trim and bodywork, but it drives like an adult sized go-kart.
biggrin.gif

She was in good company at the shop
IPB Image
tristan from Further Performance is great, top notch work and very reasonably priced. I'm super pleased.

And today at work
IPB Image
Optimusglen
Made it to C&C this weekend, car is a blast!

Little photo shoot on my way home.

IPB Image

IPB Image
Optimusglen
It's been a long while so I figured I'd update this thread.

Family: Wife and baby are doing great. The blood clot is chronic but it's in a good place and her active lifestyle means that her leg is rebuilding pathways for blood-flow so swelling and danger are way way down. She'll be on blood thinners the rest of her life, Warfarin wasn't working for her so she is on Xarelto which does. Baby Wren is so wonderful ,smart, super cute, a ray of light.

(we don't put pictures of her face on the internet or social media, so this is the best you'll get)
IPB Image

The 2.2T 911 engine rebuild stalled out, not sure of it's future. The case is really good but it does need a line bore back to standard and so far a bunch of other things have consumed my "fun" budget. Initial estimates for the work are between 2-3k.

For now the 914 is great, I drive it whenever I can.

IPB Image

I did the side-shift trans swap last season thanks to Jule. Shifts great now, all things considered. Also did a L.E. airdam up front, and had a period with the car where I had roundels/meatballs/number circles on the sides and then pulled them off a short time later.

New muffler from Ben is on and it sounds great. I'll be getting some good audio/video but it's going to wait until after I can fix this rattle coming from the front end. Sounds like it may be the alternator, but another option I haven't checked yet is an exhaust leak.

IPB Image

Some new shoes are in the works, going back to 15's with an RSR finish sans polished lip. I'll be going with 205/60 to really fill out the wheel wells.

IPB Image

I don't think any non-Porsche people would even notice, but I think it'll be a good move. They're reps, purchased from one of you guys who got them from another one of you guys, haha. Fine for what I do, casual summer driving.

IPB Image

I went back to the factory 4-spoke steering wheel, the diameter just feels so much better than the smaller aftermarket wheel I had before. It's in the middle of being modified a little. I trimmed the foam where the spokes meet the rim and will be re-wrapping it myself. This will be the 5th wheel I've done, (last was post #63 of this thread) so I've gotten the hang of it I think. I'll be designing a 3D printable hockey-puck style horn button that'll use the stock hardware to mount, intention to be wrapped in leather and a Porsche shield fitted. Once the project gets further along I'll post some pictures...

Things I'd like to do this season:
-rebuild doors, I'd like to be able to easily roll up the windows with the winder alone
-replace targa vinyl and trim, I have everything to do the job just haven't made time for it
-wire in fog/driving lights and fix the horn and turn signals
-fix/replace/rebuild my speedometer. I put a new cable in but it bounced the speedo around all over the place and then eventually the speedo just stopped responding.
-maybe even weld in the new patch for the front drivers corner, kinda waiting on that until I do flares though, so it'll probably spend this season in full patina again.

Long term goals:
-get the 6 built and installed
-flares (I've gone back and fourth on wanting to keep it narrow and wanting flares) I think I'm set on flares though, at least on this car since it has some metal issues that I'll want to take care of and because it's not a particularly rare or sought-after model. After seeing some great cars and luft 6 this year it sold me on flares even more.

edit: I had originally split the 6-cylinder aspect of this project into another thread. Now I'm thinking it should have stuck around in here to keep the continuity. If you're reading through this for the first time, swing into this thread to get up to date on the state of the engine then come back here for further details.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=311714
ndfrigi
thanks for the update on your project. An encouraging build thread!
FlacaProductions
I just read this thread in one sitting and it's fascinating to see the progress in both the 914 and life. Nice work on both fronts!
914time
Very good to hear you and your family are doing well, OGlen!

Thank you for the update and your car looks amazing!
Cairo94507
Thanks for the update on the family and the car. beerchug.gif
Freezin 914
As always, car looks good! Glad to hear things are good. Please keep us posted on the progress on your car... I know I am one of many who will be patiently waiting for updates. Cheers.
P.S. I am sure have some parts for your doors if you need any.
Optimusglen
A little build update I suppose, it's been awhile.

In my last update I had a list of things I wanted to do this season. Sadly, I worked on one of those items (the speedo) and am back at the drawing board on it, haha. That's not to say I didn't do anything to the car this season though.

I did get those 15" Fuchs reps mounted, overall I liked them.
IPB Image

I stumbled upon a set of Revolutions on here. These are a style of wheel I've loved, going back to my VW days. Pretty good price and they were NOS, so I bought them.
IPB Image

I was not, however, fond of the black centers. So I had them blasted and I painted them silver.
IPB Image

Shot comparing the Revolutions, the 15" rep Fuchs, and the 16" rep Fuchs
IPB Image

Anyway, I installed the revolutions, rolled it out into the driveway.
IPB Image

Immediately decided I didn't like them and started refinishing the 15" Fuchs right then and there. I already had the paint stripper and supplies etc.

So, I stripped the old paint off of the 15" Fuchs. Taped up the holes, leveled them out.
IPB Image

I used the bucket method this time instead of masking.
IPB Image

after filling all 5 areas and connecting the shallow strips.
IPB Image

This is a shot showing the areas (red border) that were painted previously. That was the thing that threw me with them, the mask line wasn't right.
IPB Image

Once they were all done, I think the mask line is better, but now maybe a little low.
IPB Image

I think I'll re-do them again, maybe in the spring.
IPB Image

Next, I replaced the crystals in all of my Heuer timers. I have two pair that I interchange, these two got double-dome sapphire crystals and it really makes them look nice. The other two got flat sapphire with chamfered edges. The originals had plastic.
IPB Image

I swapped the factory steering wheel back on, I like the diameter more than the smaller 3-spoke I had. Both in terms of driving control and also gauge visibility. I re-wrapped my wheel in leather, and got a hockey puck horn button.
IPB Image

I was most of the way through stitching when I realized I made the joining stitch in the incorrect method. So this too will likely be re-done this winter.

I was going to go on a fall rally put on by the Overcrest podcast. A nice podcast put on by a couple friends, both with 911's. I helped out with a bunch of the graphic design for them and had been looking forward to it for several months.

The early morning drive down to the start point, left the house at 4:30.
IPB Image

I was one of the first to sign in so I got my pick of the numbers, chose the year of my 914 because why not?
IPB Image

I've been on dozens of drives and rallys, many using the same roads we were driving on this day, so it was nothing new. The setup of the rally was quite different though. It wasn't a lead-follow rally. We knew from past experiences that it turns into a mess with tail cars rushing to keep up with lead cars, then everyone coming to a halt once they catch up etc. The accordion effect, or rubber banding. However you describe it it's not fun. So they scouted 3 full different routes, all with some gravel/dirt shortcuts mixed in. Each car was given a large map with the routes, and a guide book with turn by turn directions to follow the routes (this was the part I helped on) that resembled rally pace notes. Intended for a co-driver to dictate.

IPB Image

It was off to a great start. We let most of the people go first so it wasn't a big crowd all hitting the roads at once. I took off with about 3 cars behind me. A guy from the video crew was in my car so I had to go off of memory for several of the turns.

We came up to one turn and that's when things started to go south. I've been reliving this moment since it happened about a month ago. I had massive brake fade/loss and had to rely on the corning ability of the car to take a corner at far faster than I wanted. We did make it around the majority but near the exit of the corner I was on the far outside. Once the tires hit the grassy off-camber outside of the bend it was a slow-slide down the ditch, over several mossy logs, and perched on top of a culvert.

IPB Image

It's easy to want to point fingers at what was at fault. The pads I had weren't the best (Mintex redbox). But in reality it was my fault. I was just going too fast and shouldn't have been pushing the car as hard. A mistake I was lucky to have learned with the only outcome being a bruised ego and a broken fiberglass valance. I will for sure be bleeding the brakes and replacing the pads with the ones Eric recommends, as well as keeping it cool on the streets.

I called AAA and got it pulled back onto the road. Checked the car out and it was only the valance and some dirt. I drove it to the meetup for lunch and then had a pretty uneventful 2 hour drive home. Valance in the frunk.

IPB Image

Now, back to the project.

I ordered a seat on August 1st. I was hoping to have it by the drive (early October) but didn't actually end up getting it until the end of October. I had originally gotten a quote through GTSClassics and the price was just way too high. Then I saw that Pelican offered the seat at a lower price so I ordered through them. It turns out that Stephan/Pelican just hadn't updated their catalog. It was listed as including the headrest and free shipping, items that would normally add a couple hundred to the bill IIRC.

I received the seat sans headrest. Initially a bit perturbed I contacted Pelican about the missing headrest (with no clear way to mount a headrest either) and they contacted Stephan. Found that indeed their listing should not have said that the headrest was included, but he is sending me a headrest with grommets anyway because of the mixup. So it was a positive outcome with two companies, both Pelican and GTSClassics.

IPB Image

That brings it up to date, the car may make another appearance on the roads this season but with snow due soon it's a big maybe. I would really like to get the seat in and at least take it for a short drive.

sb914
Glad you didn’t hurt yourself and your car is semi fine !
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.