Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Finally - GT project
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Mitox
QUOTE(jd74914 @ Sep 25 2017, 08:32 PM) *

Your spare tire mount is awesome! Totally stealing that idea!

Feel free. I mounted it with two weld on studs, but had considered welding the whole bracket in place.
Dion
Michael that car is coming along nicely. I Do like that spare wheel mount as well.
Cool touch out of necessity I see.

Larmo63
Please make me one of those spare tire mounts.....Please?
Mitox
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Sep 25 2017, 11:30 PM) *

Please make me one of those spare tire mounts.....Please?

I wouldn't mind doing it, though I certainly couldn't commit to it. It's easy to make as you can see, but I would change it a bit if done again.
Mitox
This coming week should be a great week for progress. Four months ago, John Forbes and I scheduled this week to reassemble my 3.2 at Black Forest Racing, and get it running again.

driving.gif
Mitox
The 3.2 is fully disassembled and mostly clean now. A little more cleaning to do more n the morning, then reassembly begins.

Click to view attachment
Mitox
Click to view attachment
porschetub
QUOTE(Mitox @ Sep 26 2017, 03:38 PM) *

Feel free. I mounted it with two weld on studs, but had considered welding the whole bracket in place.

Would really like to mount my alloy spare the same way but the regulation police here wouldn't like it,it is there to provide crash protection also,if you are running a front cooler what do you do,no real choice ,nicely done.
Mitox
QUOTE(porschetub @ Oct 12 2017, 02:10 AM) *

Would really like to mount my alloy spare the same way but the regulation police here wouldn't like it,it is there to provide crash protection also,if you are running a front cooler what do you do,no real choice ,nicely done.

sad.gif ...the regulation police...

I fear we are headed the same direction. For some reason people want government to control every aspect of life.
porschetub
QUOTE(Mitox @ Oct 13 2017, 01:17 PM) *

I fear we are headed the same direction. For some reason people want government to control every aspect of life.

That's what we have here,I need separate compliance for my brakes,wheels and engine change,they will find something else to clip the ticket on,real car guys have suffered here due to the ricer drivers and their total disregard for sensible modifications.....sad really,Australia is worse than my country.
gereed75
Tub, here I thought you guys were all just un-restrained hooligans gooning it up!

And MIT, I am sure you saw the white cat on BAT that got so much attention and brought nice bucks! Love Light Ivory, something about the simplicity of white black and chrome accentuates the simplicity of these cars in my eyes.
Mitox
A good Saturday morning. The rear rotisserie mounts are welded up, and attached. Sunday afternoon the car should be turning over.

Click to view attachment
infraredcalvin
Careful, the stripped shell is top heavy when mounted on bumper mounts. I like how you passed the supports through the main bar, and cleaned up the ends by capping them.
beer.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(Mitox @ Oct 12 2017, 08:17 PM) *

In PA, we are lucky. There's no inspection on antique vehicles. One time registration and carry insurance. That's it.
Mitox
Completed the rotisserie today, and mounted the 914. For now, I'm going to let it float over the supports I used for a few days - just in case my amateur welds have an issue.

Bottom strip to begin soon.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Mitox
Turned the car on the rotisserie for the first time today. Works perfectly! One hand turning, and seems to be balanced well. Now to blast the bottom, and remove all of the old seem sealer.

Click to view attachment
Mitox
Stripping the bottom and removing all of the seam sealer; a few more evenings and it's done. I'm also removing the 4 banger motor mounts, and am thinking about welding another reinforcement plate over the area.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Mitox
I must be developing OCD. While stripping the bottom, I kept thinking of the potential rust hiding under the seat reinforcements and jack pads. Finally, I placed an order for replacement parts, and then cut the old parts off the car today.

Rust can't hide any longer. No holes, but heavy surface rust.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Mitox
Click to view attachment
pete000
Looking great
Cairo94507
In for a penny, in for a pound. beerchug.gif
Mitox
I didn't make any progress on the GT this week due to work travel, but I did get to spend an afternoon at the Porsche headquarters in Atlanta. Here's a few pic from the museum. Next time I'll plan ahead, so I can take a few laps on the track.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Mitox
Click to view attachment
Mitox
It’s been a few months, and most progress isn’t very noticeable. After many hours of heating-scraping-heating-scraping, all of the seam sealer is gone.

Now I get to work on the fun stuff; welding pieces back on. The front jack points and seat/ floor reinforcements were replaced a couple days ago, and I just removed the pedal support bracket. This bracket seems to double as a water scoop, directing water into the hole under the pedals; great design to ensure the area rusts adequately. Maybe I should weld this hole closed instead of relying on the seem sealer method.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Mitox
Rust under pedal cluster to clean out. No rust through though.

Click to view attachment
bbrock
That pedal reinforcement is certainly a curious design and I wrestled with what to do about it too. Another issue is that water from wet feet is sure to accumulate around the pedal cluster and migrate through that drain slot or bolt holes into the reinforcement piece. I think the piece is engineered to let that water drain out but it sure is a dumb design. In the end, I just sprayed the inside area with 2 coats of 2K epoxy and put it back together, figuring I'll be dead by the time it becomes a problem again. beerchug.gif
Mitox
Just a question this time. Can someone tell me what this bracket with stud is for? It is on the drivers side front corner, and there isn’t a matching part on the other corner.

Click to view attachment
Mitox
My list of items to complete before paint had another one added today. I knew I needed to fix an ugly repair on the firewall, but learned from looking through other posts here that the real problem is the clutch tube.

Found a few threads detailing the repair, so that’s next.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Mitox
Yeah, this is a problem ... what to do

Click to view attachment
sixnotfour
horn mount 75-76
Mitox
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jul 12 2018, 10:31 PM) *

horn mount 75-76

OK, thanks. Guess I’ll keep it there.
Mitox
A little progress today. Fixed the crack/break on the firewall where the clutch tube exits.

Click to view attachment
Mitox
Now to fix the tube that is completely loose. From the other posts on this subject, I have an idea how to fix the front clamp. However, there is some sort of bracket at the middle of the tube. It looks like it may be broken, but I can’t see how or if it should be attached anywhere in the tunnel.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Mitox
I found a pic of the inside of the 914 tunnel. Looks like I have a broken bracket: not sure I’ll secure the tube there.

Click to view attachment
rgalla9146
With a 3" holesaw open a hole on the top of the tunnel for adequate access.
Weld the plug back in when the repair is complete
Mitox
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Jul 15 2018, 08:20 PM) *

With a 3" holesaw open a hole on the top of the tunnel for adequate access.
Weld the plug back in when the repair is complete

I think your suggestion is likely the best path forward. There's no other way to get inside the tunnel very well. Thanks
Mitox
Clutch tube repaired - hopefully forever. Made a new front bracket,and had to cut a hole to access the middle bracket to weld it back together.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Mitox
Had a little difficulty locating the front bracket tight to the wall, so finally decided to pull it into place with a screw so I could weld the first hole.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Mitox
Here’s the repair at the firewall.

Click to view attachment
mepstein
looking good.
Mitox
Decided to change up today and work on removing the adhesive from the interior. Sanding and scraping doesn’t work well, so I tried adhesive remover. Well, it removed the adhesive...and the paint, and remaining seam sealer.

I think I’ll do the rest of the inside with this stuff.

Click to view attachment

bbrock
QUOTE(Mitox @ Jul 27 2018, 09:28 PM) *

Decided to change up today and work on removing the adhesive from the interior. Sanding and scraping doesn’t work well, so I tried adhesive remover. Well, it removed the adhesive...and the paint, and remaining seam sealer.

I think I’ll do the rest of the inside with this stuff.

Great tip!!! Can you share the specific product you are using?
Mitox
Yep, here it is. I purchased it about six years ago to remove carpet glue from concrete. Glad it works well on the 914 also.

Click to view attachment
mepstein
QUOTE(Mitox @ Jul 28 2018, 08:41 AM) *

Yep, here it is. I purchased it about six years ago to remove carpet glue from concrete. Glad it works well on the 914 also.

I use their paint remover. Good stuff.
Mitox
Catching up on posting my progress. I’ve welded in the GT chassis kit, and made additional panels to go over the area where I removed the 4 jug engine mounts. Also had to replace the brake line mount due to the added panel, and welded on new rear jack plates after cleaning out the rust.

Click to view attachment

Mitox
Pics

Click to view attachment

Mitox
Mo pics

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.