Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Finally - GT project
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
southernmost914
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Signal
Mitox
So, I've made some progress on the rotisserie. I've added a third leg and caster on each end, and removed the steel connecting the ends to each other. During March I need to make the mounting sections to connect to the 914 bumper locations, and get the car on the rotisserie.

I'd like to have the car as balanced as possible. Does anyone know the center of gravity vertically at the bumper mount locations?

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
speed metal army
L98B is nice shades.gif
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
That's a burly roto! NIce stuff.
Mitox
QUOTE(speed metal army @ Mar 3 2017, 12:00 AM) *

L98B is nice shades.gif
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
That's a burly roto! NIce stuff.

Love the Lime Green. Love the wheels also; I plan to have mine done the same way.
Mitox
I've made some progress in the rotisserie. I expect to have it complete this week; I just need to add the mounting points to the arms and finish the paint.

The next project on the list is to cut the front oil cooler outlet hole once I decide which methods of venting to use. I like the PMS kit, but I don't think the outlet vent has enough open area. I also like some of the project pics I have seen that have the outlets in the wheels wells.

After the venting holes are complete, I'll put the car on the rotisserie and start stripping the bottom. I'm thinking of using the Upol Raptor on the bottom.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
ConeDodger
The Moritz race car is Conda Green. I've seen a Conda Green car in person and that color is soooo fantastic! wub.gif
t collins
Keep up the good work neighbor beerchug.gif
wndsrfr
Here's Lime Green on Kermeee.....Click to view attachment
Cracker
Nice job on the rotisserie...I would be interested in "renting" it in the future if that is an possibility. My friend sold the car to Forbes (so he could in turn provide it to you). I believe we spoke awhile back as you were "determining a course" for this car - looks like it is gaining momentum. Good job!

Tony
Mitox
QUOTE(southernmost914 @ Feb 11 2017, 06:09 PM) *

OK, I admit it. I keep coming back to lust over the paint on your car.
Mitox
QUOTE(Cracker @ Apr 17 2017, 07:50 AM) *

Nice job on the rotisserie...I would be interested in "renting" it in the future if that is an possibility. My friend sold the car to Forbes (so he could in turn provide it to you). I believe we spoke awhile back as you were "determining a course" for this car - looks like it is gaining momentum. Good job!

Tony

Yes, thanks for spending some time with me going over the project. Now I can see the path to paint, so I hope I can move quickly.
Mitox
Just gathered a few pieces over the past several weeks, and traveled to Hershey for the swap meet. I was somewhat disappointed with Hershey; seeing the cars was great, but the swap meet didn't match the hype. Maybe I expected too much. Anyway, the day after the meet, I purchased a Carrera front suspension in North Carolina.

The other parts collected include the center of the firewall, which I will use to make a cover for an access hole. I'm also awaiting shipment of a hook and grommet from one of the recent group buys.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Cracker
Looking good...make big piles of parts!

T
Mitox
Worked on the metamorphosing 914 most of the day today. Removing the rear suspension was easier than expected; three bolts and three nuts per side. I also removed the hood and rear trunk lid, so now to get it in the air for attaching it to the rotisserie.

I've decided to add an access panel on the firewall. The cover will be made from a section I purchased from 914 Ecology a few days ago. I've completed the rough trim on the cover; real happy with how it turned out.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Mitox
Can't decide whether or not to remove all of the old seem sealer in the trunk. I looks terrible, but its original. It may be interesting to keep the 41 year old fingerprint also.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
raynekat
That just the way the factory did the seam sealer back in the day. I wouldn't touch it if it's good shape. It will grow on you I think. When I re-seam seal parts of my car, I'll try to replicate this unique factory application.

Oh...and the car looks great. Have a wonderful time with the re-do.
Mitox
I've finally been able to work on the GT again recently. I purchase an oil cooler from PMS and the shroud from QRS before starting the work to be sure I cut and weld in the correct locations. Here are a few pics of the progress.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Mitox
More pics

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Mitox
More pics

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Mitox
Saturday's project is to finish fitting the braces shown in the pic below, and weld them in. I really liked what Armando did to his car as shown in his "Last New 914-6 GT Project" thread, so I'm using his ideas.

I'll also weld in sheet metal for the floor defining the outlet vent for the cooler.

Click to view attachment

Larmo63
I'm doing all of these installs, actually I'm a bit ahead of you and done with them. I know what it takes to do this...

What you're doing looks great!!!!
defianty
Good work, I was going to make my front trunk floor cut a different size to that but after seeing yours I think that's the way to go. Thanks.
Mitox
QUOTE(defianty @ Jul 22 2017, 09:57 AM) *

Good work, I was going to make my front trunk floor cut a different size to that but after seeing yours I think that's the way to go. Thanks.

If I had access to a bead roller, the replacement sheet metal would have a wide channel bead in the middle to tie into small section remaining on the car.
Mitox
I have a question for those more wise than I - everyone.

When I removed the floor section, the tow hook went with it. I think if I replace it closer to the front of the car it will be blocked by the front valance under the bumper, and the valance would be destroyed if I ever used the tow hook. What do you think?

An alternative would be to leave the tow hook off, and use bolt on hooks that mount to the front suspension mounts. Do these tow hooks work well? Tarett has one that looks good.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks
Mitox
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Jul 21 2017, 11:16 PM) *

I'm doing all of these installs, actually I'm a bit ahead of you and done with them. I know what it takes to do this...

What you're doing looks great!!!!

It's my first time doing anything like this, so I'm moving incredibly slow. Do you have any pics of yours?
SirAndy
I'm a bit late to the party but for a period correct GT replica, Conda Green (26G) is the only green way to go.
biggrin.gif

The Max&Moritz GTs were Conda Green and there is at least one car we know of (not a GT) that was delivered in Conda Green from the factory using the correct 26G paint tag instead of a 98 (Custom Color) tag. Even though Conda Green was never an official 914 color.

bye1.gif
Larmo63
agree.gif

Click to view attachment
mepstein
QUOTE(Mitox @ Jun 26 2016, 10:54 PM) *

QUOTE(JRust @ Jun 26 2016, 10:46 PM) *

Welcome & looks like your starting it right! What are you doing drivetrain wise

I found a 3.2 out of a wrecked '88 to slip in there.

Are you using the 915 trans
Mitox
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 22 2017, 04:03 PM) *

QUOTE(Mitox @ Jun 26 2016, 10:54 PM) *

QUOTE(JRust @ Jun 26 2016, 10:46 PM) *

Welcome & looks like your starting it right! What are you doing drivetrain wise

I found a 3.2 out of a wrecked '88 to slip in there.

Are you using the 915 trans

I want to use a 915, but I'll likely start out using the 901 and change it out later after it detonates.
Mitox
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 22 2017, 01:01 PM) *

I'm a bit late to the party but for a period correct GT replica, Conda Green (26G) is the only green way to go.
biggrin.gif

The Max&Moritz GTs were Conda Green and there is at least one car we know of (not a GT) that was delivered in Conda Green from the factory using the correct 26G paint tag instead of a 98 (Custom Color) tag. Even though Conda Green was never an official 914 color.

bye1.gif

Conda is in the running still. I purchased a few custom mix spray bombs, so I can paint samples for comparison. I have three colors to try: conda green, viper green, and 2D8 green from 2007.
Mitox
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Jul 22 2017, 02:46 PM) *

Very nice; and its green which makes it even better beerchug.gif
Mitox
I completed the front trunk floor welding last weekend and did some touch-up and grinding to smooth it out over the next few days. Still need to smooth the corners; waiting on Amazon to deliver a smaller roloc set.

I also filled in the four small holes in the floor. Why are they there anyway?

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Mitox
Here the almost finished shot. Needs minor smoothing. Not too bad I guess for the first time welding sheet metal.

The spare tire I purchased should arrive Tuesday, so need to figure out how to mount it vertically in the trunk wall this week.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Mitox
welder.gif I've been contemplating how to mount the spare tire for a while. I finally settled on a plan and completed the tire mount this weekend. I welded up the bracket shown below, and added a couple studs to the car to attach it to. Should work OK.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Mitox
Click to view attachment
Spoke
There's always Ravenna green as well.
Spoke
BTW, great build. Good luck. Looking forward to seeing it completed.
Mitox
QUOTE(Spoke @ Aug 20 2017, 10:30 PM) *

BTW, great build. Good luck. Looking forward to seeing it completed.

Thanks,
hope to get it up on the rotisserie next month to strip the bottom
Mitox
Didn't get to work on the project much this weekend. It's probably good though, because my welding was rather poor. It took a while, but I welded in the reinforcements today. I'll prime the area and weld the sections that I cut out earlier in the coming few days.

Click to view attachment
Mitox
I've completed the reinforcements and welded the cut outs back; here's a few pics

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Mitox
Completed this section of the project, so tomorrow I'll start fitting the oil cooler shroud, and figuring out a way to mount the oil cooler.

Click to view attachment

totle
Great work. In the same process with my conversion.
Did similar in the front for the oil cooler ducting.
Mitox
Cleaniing the garage this morning, and need to make space. I'm thinking about trashing the old four lug wheels. I have all four.

Anyone need them? I'm in SW Virginia in Marion.

Click to view attachment
Mitox
Getting close to finishing the oil cooler mod. Made a template this evening, so tomorrow it turns into steel with a few minor changes.

Click to view attachment
Mitox
The bottom section of the oil cooler shroud is nearly complete now; it just needs minor touch ups for fit. I'll be working on the oil cooler mount next, or maybe I'll load the car onto the rotisserie and get the bottom stripped and coated before it gets cold.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Mitox
Few more pics

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Mitox
Finished pic (almost)

Click to view attachment
Mitox
WOW!! These pipes are beautiful. biggrin.gif

I first noticed the welding quality; Ben is truly a master. pray.gif

Click to view attachment
mb911
Lots of practice biggrin.gif
jd74914
Your spare tire mount is awesome! Totally stealing that idea!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.