Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1974 914 - Tig welding and Metalshaping saved it! Back on the road!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
TRS63
It is phoenix red, its original color smile.gif

Thanks!

Antoine
frostyf
Just read through the whole thread, fantastic work - inspiring and what a great colour!
TRS63
Enjoying it on nice evenings: wub.gif
IPB Image

It also met some other "horse power" laugh.gif
IPB Image

Bests

Antoine
930cabman
QUOTE(frostyf @ Jul 22 2022, 03:44 PM) *

Just read through the whole thread, fantastic work - inspiring and what a great colour!

Mr Antoine is no joke, hats off to a job well done
Dion
That a guy! Put those kilometers on. Looking good Antoine!
ClayPerrine
Absolutely beautiful. You do good work.

If you shop around, you could probably find an early 911 speedometer in KPH. It will go right in with no modifications.

Or send yours out to a VDO rebuilder and get the number plate replaced. The US and Euro speedos are identical inside, they just have different number plates on them.

Or if you are a cheap SOB, you could get a grease pencil and mark the KPH speeds on the glass..... biggrin.gif

I am sure that having the speedo in KPH would make driving easier for you.

Clay
Maltese Falcon
Does the LB on your license plate refer to Ludwigsburg ¿¿
Nice work for sure smile.gif
TRS63
Thanks a lot guys!! The support here is always really appeciated !

@ClayPerrine : I keep an eye open for a km/h speedo but truth be told, I got used to make x1,6 in my head and I find it funny to have it like that in my car.. biggrin.gif

@Maltese Falcon: yes, LB is for Ludwigsburg smile.gif I live there bye1.gif

Bests

Antoine
Maltese Falcon
@TRS63 where the 914 braintrust met; I belive that this office building (in LB) is still there today...just remodeled + updated ¿¿
A good friend of mine (today retired) worked there for Porsche '90s to 2018.
Enjoy that beautiful 914 driving.gif

Click to view attachment
TRS63
Good point, I will try to get there and make a current picture :-)

Antoine
930cabman
Try to get a couple of your ancient workshop
TRS63
I will also think about the pictures of the shop smile.gif

So..I've been again driving driving driving driving.gif driving.gif
IPB Image

IPB Image

And I am really happy how the front sway bar improved the feeling !!

And some more pictures :
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Bests

Antoine
Arno914
Take a look at the old picture of the VW-Porsche building:
That must be Antoines 914 in front when she was young. smile.gif
wonkipop
what @TRS63 needs to do -
is
a) park his magnificent phoenix red 74 in front of -
b) the VW porsche building (in present condition)

as @Maltese Falcon has suggested.

then and now.
its been half a century.
its time for the ghost to return.\
---

its great to see @TRS63 's car red or is it orange again.
so much better than black. beerchug.gif
phoenix red ------yes.
i see its got a child seat in it too, that little baby is getting a great intro to life? beer.gif
TRS63
I promise, I am gonna look for this building and make the picture if possible biggrin.gif

Yes, you saw right, there is a child seat..since its birth 6 years ago, my codriver is always up for a ride, in the beetle or in the 914..he also find the modern cars boring too laugh.gif shades.gif

Small picture: got some goodies including a small booklet from 1974 with all dimensions/characteristics and an old test article..oh, and some books aktion035.gif
IPB Image

Bests

Antoine
TRS63
Preparing winter (I will avoid salt but still plan to drive it as much as I can!!), So cavity wax everywhere and underbody/wheel wells protection:
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Bests

Antoine
searunner
Hi Antoine
Same car BUT 2.0- same colour - same exhaust- same front sway bar
- same improvements
We are in the same way
https://photos.app.goo.gl/KmbY1AhqFA63jomC8
https://photos.app.goo.gl/gfAijGRs4qnTftit7

Different is my Dell'Orto Carbs and Trottle command by wire
And I have turned to 911 FRONT suspension and Disks Brakes (find used in Germany)
The change of the Master pump to 19mm haven't had any significant result on my car
But the Swap to 911Front Disks and the Calipers was very significant
also, the front strut BOGE must be changed
For me, more easy MOD The car has already the FUCKS 5 bolts

Sorry for a lot of work required by your 914 BODY-Is normal on the USA car
due to the climate- BUT you are a Master in the welding
Cheers
Andrea - from Italy
02loftsmoor
QUOTE(TRS63 @ Feb 1 2021, 09:07 AM) *

Hello all,

member and owner of a 1974 1,8l since a few months, I still did not introduced myself.. now correcting it smile.gif

First about myself: I am a french guy living in Stuttgart, 32 years old, mechanical engineer but my real passions are metalshaping and aircooled VWs and Porsche biggrin.gif

After dreaming about a 914 since years, I decided end of last year that it was time to fulfill the dream and after seeing a few 914s, I bough that one.

About the car: originally from the US (sadly I know nothing about its history there), it is a 1974 1,8l 914 originally phoenix red. It was sometimes repainted, before 1991 when it was imported to the UK. It ran there until 2009, where it found its way back to Germany. And since october with me!

It is far from perfect but a good driver, which was my goal, as I want to enjoy it on the road during the restoration of my karmann ghia (for the curious: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic...&highlight= ).

my plan:
-drive drive drive drive (made 1000miles the first month with it aktion035.gif )
-in the future: repair the rust, paint it original color back, improve the handling (it still has no sway bars, shocks are quite old, frame stiffener will be ordered,..), some interior modification,.. goal is to keep it usable on the street, while lightening it where possible and putting some more power (I am in love with the sound of a 6 but might keep it a big 4 for weight and legal reasons..).

Some pictures:
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

cheers

Antoine

nice
TRS63
QUOTE(searunner @ Oct 12 2022, 10:13 AM) *

Hi Antoine
Same car BUT 2.0- same colour - same exhaust- same front sway bar
- same improvements
We are in the same way
https://photos.app.goo.gl/KmbY1AhqFA63jomC8
https://photos.app.goo.gl/gfAijGRs4qnTftit7

Different is my Dell'Orto Carbs and Trottle command by wire
And I have turned to 911 FRONT suspension and Disks Brakes (find used in Germany)
The change of the Master pump to 19mm haven't had any significant result on my car
But the Swap to 911Front Disks and the Calipers was very significant
also, the front strut BOGE must be changed
For me, more easy MOD The car has already the FUCKS 5 bolts

Sorry for a lot of work required by your 914 BODY-Is normal on the USA car
due to the climate- BUT you are a Master in the welding
Cheers
Andrea - from Italy

Hi Andrea,

Thanks a lot for the nice words ! Have fun with your project , those cars really are great! beerchug.gif driving.gif

Here a recent picture of the car, planning a 1000 miles road trip with it in 2 weeks up to the center of france biggrin.gif

IPB Image

Bests

Antoine
TRS63
What a weekend ! Needed to do a 1000 miles round trip in 3 days for a Wedding (friday 500 miles, saturday Wedding, sunday 500 miles), so decided to do it with this toy...and what a good decision !It ran perfectly, highways, small curvy roads, it can do everything and what such fun!!
Weather was sometime grey:
IPB Image

Sometime snowy:
IPB Image

Or sunny :
IPB Image

On a short break on the way:
IPB Image

Even had a sister at the Wedding:
IPB Image

IPB Image

And these colors were magnificent to see on the way:
IPB Image

Well, you see, really love that car!

Antoine
TRS63
Got surprised by some snow the other day, made for a cool picture :
IPB Image

biggrin.gif

I am thinking about buying a used fusebox, restore it completely including new fuses and relays, and then change it in the car moving the connexions one by one. I did not find the information: are the fuseboxes different depending on the year/engine ?

Thanks
Antoine
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(TRS63 @ Jan 24 2023, 04:59 AM) *

Got surprised by some snow the other day, made for a cool picture :
IPB Image

biggrin.gif

I am thinking about buying a used fusebox, restore it completely including new fuses and relays, and then change it in the car moving the connexions one by one. I did not find the information: are the fuseboxes different depending on the year/engine ?

Thanks
Antoine

Unless you want an absolute concours car, I suggest the JWest fuse box. The blade fuses are much better than the stock VW fuses, and the kit comes with directions.

And thank you for the pictures. They bring back memories of our Orange 914.

r_towle
great job! that looks wonderful.

I just noticed today that Porsche classic parts sells new wheel center caps...if you want some for the rear wheels.

I think you can order them at the dealer.

Rich
TRS63
Thanks Rich, I will look for them !

@Clay: you made a good point. I thought going OG might help in future if trying to find issues but "modern" technology there can help too. No concourse car, it's an outlaw being driven and in every weather/condition so reliability is far more important than originality. I will look for the JWest solution !

Bests

Antoine
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(TRS63 @ Jan 25 2023, 12:37 AM) *

Thanks Rich, I will look for them !

@Clay: you made a good point. I thought going OG might help in future if trying to find issues but "modern" technology there can help too. No concourse car, it's an outlaw being driven and in every weather/condition so reliability is far more important than originality. I will look for the JWest solution !

Bests

Antoine

I have one of the first JWest fuse boxes in my big six. It has been absolutely reliable since new, and probably one of the simplest and best aftermarket part ever.

You can find them here: https://www.jwestengineering.com

He has other cool stuff for 914s on his site too.

TRS63
Thanks for the link !

Small improvements on the way..
My back light were not the best anymore:
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

So I found a pair of good used ones, looking way better:
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Bests

Antoine
skota23
Hello Antoine,

What a fantastic job you've done. Bravo! Sometimes people are lucky to get cars, sometimes cars are lucky to get people.

Steve
ddire333
Not sure how I never saw this tread before, got my 74 just a year before you & bought from just pictures, so sure I had some welding to do too but nothing like that, respect your dedication to bring it back, enjoy.
TRS63
Thanks so much guys, really appreciated!!

Just a short picture:
IPB Image

It is being driven as much as time allows :-)

Bests

Antoine
TRS63
Nothing new here, just enjoying it while working on the ghia, thought you still might enjoy a picture:
IPB Image

Bests

Antoine
TRS63
We enjoyed a small family ride (yes, the three of us in the 914!) yesterday so I thought that I can share a couple pictures :
IPB Image

IPB Image

Bests

Antoine
Freezin 914
QUOTE(skota23 @ Feb 3 2023, 06:26 PM) *

Hello Antoine,

What a fantastic job you've done. Bravo! Sometimes people are lucky to get cars, sometimes cars are lucky to get people.

Steve

agree.gif

Well said.
930cabman
QUOTE(Freezin 914 @ Jul 25 2023, 05:42 AM) *

QUOTE(skota23 @ Feb 3 2023, 06:26 PM) *

Hello Antoine,

Steve

agree.gif

Well said.

agree.gif What a great restoration from the ancient repair shop beerchug.gif
wonkipop
@TRS63

sweet couple of pages of photos of a phoenix "orange" arisen from the black ashes of misguided updating pyres along the way to you and now back home in the motha country. beerchug.gif

cousin car down here, same color, same 74, same 1.8 - same bat channel.

speed limit a bummer at the bottom of the world.
want my speedo standing vertical but.....l. sad.gif biggrin.gif ........... the dicktator wants my license and has the camera cars out to get me. beer.gif

Click to view attachment

same international passport to smoking pleasure =contrast with black/silver
/bland cars in the domestic setting.
different sun at the bottom of the world burning through ozone deprived atmosphere and blasting out anything not in the shade. beer.gif

Click to view attachment

keep pounding the miles. driving.gif
TRS63
Thanks a lot guys, you are way too nice ! I said that often but the community around the 914 is one of the best I experienced!

Antoine
930cabman
QUOTE(TRS63 @ Jul 25 2023, 02:12 PM) *

Thanks a lot guys, you are way too nice ! I said that often but the community around the 914 is one of the best I experienced!

Antoine

agree.gif agree.gif

You are welcome, I have found the same across the board.
TRS63
Short picture with its older brother: biggrin.gif
IPB Image

I drove it regularly but yesterday it started making a strange noise. Like a "clong" coming regularly with the rotation of the wheel, from the right back corner, only when turning "hard" to the right (so when weight gets less on that corner) and with a gear on (whatever the gear). If pushing the clutch pedal, the noise disappear. Any Idea/thing I can check?

My gearbox will be probably be sent for a rebuild in the upcoming weeks as the synchronization rings from 1st and 2nd are showing some wear and grinding more and more often.. It will be hard to do "only that" and not go too deep "while i'm there" as I want to drive it and should keep workshop time for the ghia.. but more HP, some wiring fixes,and lots more are tempting...let's see !

Antoine
930cabman
It might make a great photo with these two in front of the ancient workshop

just sayin driving-girl.gif driving-girl.gif
Superhawk996
QUOTE(TRS63 @ Aug 17 2023, 03:37 AM) *

I drove it regularly but yesterday it started making a strange noise. Like a "clong" coming regularly with the rotation of the wheel, from the right back corner, only when turning "hard" to the right (so when weight gets less on that corner) and with a gear on (whatever the gear). If pushing the clutch pedal, the noise disappear. Any Idea/thing I can check?

Check CV joints both for tightness of the fasteners (immediately) and condition of the joints when you pull the trans.
Shivers
I once had a similar thing happen. Noise only showed up in a turn. It was an outside CV and the next day it came apart with a bang. Maybe check your CVs.
TRS63
Thanks guys, I will check it tonight or tomorrow and keep you in touch!

Antoine
TRS63
Waiting for a rebuilt gearbox to show up,in the mean time I received a nice box :
IPB Image

And opening it:
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

A friend of mine built this part for me, and I just love it !

Couple pictures mounted in the car:
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Bests
Antoine
StarBear
Beautiful! And unique! Thanks for sharing.
930cabman
Slick, nice touch. Wish I had friends like that beerchug.gif
TRS63
Thanks a lot guys !
Tim17
Antoine

I’m new to 914s and I’m restoring a 1975 with a friend. I just read your post and appreciate your skills and the great documentation of what you did. Beautiful job!

Tim
TRS63
Thanks a lot Tim!

If you need any information or if I can be of any help, please just ask!

Bests

Antoine
TRS63
My gearbox just showed up !
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Now to find the time to exchange it and enjoy this car again!!

Bests

Antoine
TRS63
The 914 is in the shop again:
IPB Image

And the old gearbox is removed:
IPB Image

Now I will change the clutch, clean/paint everything that goes around the gearbox and that I removed, and then it will be back on the road !

Bests

Antoine
Geezer914
Awsome job, your metal working skills are amazing. Excellent job.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.