Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1974 914 - Tig welding and Metalshaping saved it! Back on the road!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Cairo94507
It can be a slippery slope once you start digging into the rust. I hope your rust is minor and you can patch it and get your 914 back on the road to enjoy it. beerchug.gif
TRS63
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Aug 12 2021, 06:27 AM) *

It can be a slippery slope once you start digging into the rust. I hope your rust is minor and you can patch it and get your 914 back on the road to enjoy it. beerchug.gif

You're absolutely right.. We'll see when the engine is out how it looks like from the inside, suspension console,.. wacko.gif I want to drive it again as fast as possible but I want a safe car that is not going to suffer from any bump on the street.. Better be safe and take the time to do it properly now smile.gif

So, I asked my qualified employee (aka my 5 years old boy who is already wrenching with me as much as possible !) to remove the interior (except the driver's seat to drive it to my shop tomorrow) to better see what we got.. Well, rust laugh.gif headbang.gif
Driver's side, in the corner: sad.gif
IPB Image

IPB Image

And under the seat belt up in the firewall, I don't know how it rusted here, was no hole, just rust where I got through with the screwdriver.. unsure.gif
IPB Image

IPB Image

On the passenger side I only found some bad fixes from the past..
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Well.. I'm in for real.. Not that I don't like it (metalshaping is my passion and I love welding, especially TIG) but this one is planned as a driver so will try to get it back on the road as fast as possible rolleyes.gif smile.gif

Cheers

Antoine
TRS63
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Aug 12 2021, 06:27 AM) *

You're absolutely right.. We'll see when the engine is out how it looks like from the inside, suspension console,.. wacko.gif I want to drive it again as fast as possible but I want a safe car that is not going to suffer from any bump on the street.. Better be safe and take the time to do it properly now smile.gif

So, I asked my qualified employee (aka my 5 years old boy who is already wrenching with me as much as possible !) to remove the interior (except the driver's seat to drive it to my shop tomorrow) to better see what we got.. Well, rust laugh.gif headbang.gif
Driver's side, in the corner: sad.gif
IPB Image

IPB Image

And under the seat belt up in the firewall, I don't know how it rusted here, was no hole, just rust where I got through with the screwdriver.. unsure.gif
IPB Image

IPB Image

On the passenger side I only found some bad fixes from the past..
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Well.. I'm in for real.. Not that I don't like it (metalshaping is my passion and I love welding, especially TIG) but this one is planned as a driver so will try to get it back on the road as fast as possible rolleyes.gif smile.gif

Cheers

Antoine
Root_Werks
You seem to be on the right path to take the 914 apart and fix it correctly. If someone has a bench to suspend the body, that would be good.
TRS63
I own a lift and a rotisserie so no problem smile.gif I will probably create a frame jig and fix it to the rotisserie smile.gif

Cheers

Antoine
Cairo94507
I am sorry to see that. But it seems like you have got this well in hand. I look forward to seeing the repairs. The great news is once repaired you will not have to deal with that again.

There is a special place in hell for people who use fiberglass to cover up rust. ar15.gif
bkrantz
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Aug 16 2021, 12:51 PM) *

I am sorry to see that. But it seems like you have got this well in hand. I look forward to seeing the repairs. The great news is once repaired you will not have to deal with that again.

There is a special place in hell for people who use fiberglass to cover up rust. ar15.gif

Fiberglass AND undercoating.
TRS63
I can only agree with you headbang.gif

So.. The 914 is in my shop shades.gif
IPB Image

And I made some more disassembly, and checked the B-pillar behind the sail panel where I expected a lot of work..
Passenger side is quite a good surprise, except this hole that could be foreseen:
IPB Image

And is real:
IPB Image

The rest is good biggrin.gif
IPB Image

Driver side had developped some.. Let's say waves..
IPB Image

IPB Image

And here there are a bit more damages.. sad.gif
IPB Image

IPB Image

Well, I know the condition now, and nothing that really scares me smile.gif

Then I built the necessary door braces, made to be able to keep the doors, in order to always be able to check the gaps smile.gif
IPB Image

And mounted:
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

And I check further the inner firewall.. Holes on driver's side, bad repair on passenger's side..
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Well, all in all I know more about the work to come, it has been a good first evening smile.gif

Cheers

Antoine
TRS63
So, I removed more of the undercoating and it appeared to have some "fix" from the past on the long.. Well, let's see after cutting:
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

But before I go further there after engine removal, I started to remove the tank to be able to weld safely. I will also mount the sway bar in the same time, as well as change all fuel lines.
Here we are :
IPB Image

And because it's always good for the motivation, I made a first repair on my driver's sail panel, all TIG-welded smile.gif
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Cheers

Antoine
Cairo94507
Yeah man- you are going to have that all taken care of quickly. Looks like that chassis is in pretty good shape overall. beerchug.gif
TRS63
Thanks man, this will take a couple months but I am up for the challenge!

So, already a lot happened to the 914 this week!

I started upfront by pulling out the frunk seal to check the condition under it..
IPB Image

And I found holes after holes. I cut each of them and replaced with metal, I won't bore you with every single picture but here are a couple of examples, like here :
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Or here:
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Or here :
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

One last example:
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Afterward I put some primer and some paint for complete protection:
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

As I was already working on the front, I removed the side markers and the antenna (no radio on a lightweight project !) :
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

And started the first part for my B-Pillar:
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

The next update comes as soon as I have some time to post it!

Cheers

Antoine
Root_Werks
welder.gif

Nice work!

Had to do some repair around the weather-strip channel myself. Not an easy area to fit and grind down.
TRS63
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Aug 30 2021, 09:29 AM) *

welder.gif

Nice work!

Had to do some repair around the weather-strip channel myself. Not an easy area to fit and grind down.

Thanks! Yes it's some times quite hard to reach every corner!

So, some more work happened!

I put the rear up in the air:
IPB Image

And removed the engine :
IPB Image

And the started to investigate..

Found some rust here at the bottom of the firewall :
IPB Image

And what looked like a "sh**ty fix" for the clutch cable tube:
IPB Image

Is worse than that..the tube just moves freely like that!!
IPB Image

And the big question.. The hell hole.. Well, when I bought it, I couldn't disassemble much so I checked with my hand - no holes - and tried with a screwdriver-everything robust.. So I thought to be safe..
Then I checked after engine removal:
IPB Image

And after a better check with my screwdriver..
IPB Image

Here is what I found:
IPB Image

IPB Image

A real disaster:
IPB Image

But I am not a guy that let something like that discorage himself. So I need to remove my battery tray to check further and make my plan.. But before that, and before probably destroying the old one by disassembling.. I built the replacement one:
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Check with the battery and the fixation sandblasted:
IPB Image

IPB Image

And the bottom part:
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Ready to go after the hell hole repair:
IPB Image

IPB Image

Stay tuned!

Antoine
TRS63
So, I did some more work on this toy and an update is long overdue!

As I already did start the work on the front, I decided to make sûre nothing is hidden there under the paint..
IPB Image

Well of course some (bondo-) surprises were there...
Here a big dent, that I took care of using dolly/hammer:
IPB Image

And here.. There was a lot of bondo and under it a "fix", by the way of a plate under the rust hole.. Here to see:
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

So I of course couldn't let it, so cut this bad work:
IPB Image

And TIG welded a real patch:
IPB Image

And put it in primer:
IPB Image

IPB Image

Same on the other side :
Big dent here was hidden under bondo:
IPB Image

So dolly/hammer:
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

And in the back there was also a surprise:
IPB Image

IPB Image

Yes, again a plate welded quite behind the panel.. And on the bottom not welded :
IPB Image

So.. Patch prepared :
IPB Image

And welded:
IPB Image

Now we are flat:
IPB Image

Stay tuned, work is ongoing here!

Antoine
Arno914
Amazing work, Antoine!!! welder.gif

Seeing those pictures tells one why someone created the term "Hellhole".

Keep on the good work!

Arno
tygaboy
Fabulous metal forming! aktion035.gif pray.gif
Tdskip
Thank you for all of the updates.
Cairo94507
Coming along very nicely. beerchug.gif
mbseto
The fab work is great! Fantastic work and love the level of commitment. This was a beautiful car to start with, looks like it is becoming both beautiful and solid!
TRS63
Thanks a lot to all of you! It clearly motivates and I am feel lucky being able to take on this project and share it with you!

So, that was the next logical step..primer on the passenger side fender biggrin.gif (and all around the windshield after taking it also to bare metal smile.gif ) :
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

And I took care of a few holes on the driver's side firewall: welder.gif
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

For the bottom part, I will wait to have the body on the cart/body frame as not only the bottom of the firewall but also the floor is affected. More on that later smile.gif

Before starting the body frame /hell hole fix, I wanted to check how the quarter is (part of me knowing I might have to cut it to repair right the right long).. Here the result, quite impressive.. blink.gif blink.gif headbang.gif
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

So now I know it.. I will build from scratch that quarter panel and cut it, repair the long, weld my new panel. sunglasses.gif
Just for fun I made a small test panel to try the shape of the wheel opening:
IPB Image

But I hadn't a large enough sheet metal piece to start on the quarter panel so I starte on my body frame..
Fresh metal came:
IPB Image

Welded the long part:
IPB Image

Rest will follow with all the fixations I planned (bumpers, engine, gearbox, front axle, back axle,..) to keep the body square du ring welding.

Stay tuned ! popcorn[1].gif

Antoine
mbseto
Do you have a portable spray booth or just masking it off and hitting it right there where it sits?
TRS63
QUOTE(mbseto @ Sep 23 2021, 12:08 PM) *

Do you have a portable spray booth or just masking it off and hitting it right there where it sits?

For the paint I will bring it in a paint booth but for primer, I just mask it and apply where it is smile.gif it's a 2k epoxy primer smile.gif

Antoine
Cairo94507
Wow Antoine - that is some amazing work. That is going to be one beautiful 914 when you get if finished. Rust is a real bitch- but once you vanquish it, you should never have to deal with it again. There is a special place in Hell for people who use fiberglass to "repair" these cars. Good luck and keep up the terrific work and sharing the progress with us. We all enjoy it. beerchug.gif
TRS63
Wow, thanks a lot for the compliments !

Life got in the way the last couple weeks but I got a couple hours for it (and plan 2 days free of work next week to work on it!)
What I did in these couple hours:
I know I can buy the B-Pillar from RD but I love a challenge so.. Here we go:
IPB Image

The first steps:
IPB Image

IPB Image

And then it got worse:
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

And it's starting to take shape:
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

And it's ready to weld:
IPB Image

IPB Image

Stay tuned, welding it next time and then I will work further on my body frame ! welder.gif

Antoine
TRS63
Wow, thanks a lot for the compliments !

Life got in the way the last couple weeks but I got a couple hours for it (and plan 2 days free of work next week to work on it!)
What I did in these couple hours:
I know I can buy the B-Pillar from RD but I love a challenge so.. Here we go:
IPB Image

The first steps:
IPB Image

IPB Image

And then it got worse:
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

And it's starting to take shape:
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

And it's ready to weld:
IPB Image

IPB Image

Stay tuned, welding it next time and then I will work further on my body frame ! welder.gif

Antoine
mate914
Car is coming along nice.
I love your garage!!!
Matt
TRS63
Thanks Matt! Yes the barn is really cool, crazy to think it hast been first built in 1560, partly demolished in 1714 and rebuilt in 1719..and mine since 3 small years wub.gif

I finished the B-pillar, first with these small reparations:
Before:
IPB Image

During:
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

And finished:
IPB Image

And here:
IPB Image

IPB Image

Then I welded my part on the top of the door latch but not before cleaning/fixing/painting behind it:
IPB Image

Adjusting:
IPB Image

And welded:
IPB Image

Then the top part, made in two parts:
IPB Image

IPB Image

Adjusting:
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

And then welded:
IPB Image

IPB Image

Metal finishing will take place when I prepare for paint.

Stay tuned, I have load more to post !

Antoine
TRS63
So, I made my body frame to ensure nothing moves during welding:
Every fixation is screwed to be able to remove/reuse all after.
Front:
IPB Image

Back:
IPB Image

Under the gearbox: (pic during tacking, fully welded after)
IPB Image

Engine mount:
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

And suspension console to have the exact position to put it back after hellhole repair:
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

And the car is up:
IPB Image

IPB Image

Stay tuned

Antoine

Root_Werks
That door to the workshop, that's very cool.

914 is looking good as well. I assume a repaint is in the future?
TRS63
Yes, will be back phoenix red biggrin.gif

Antoine
Dion
Wow. Just amazing skill set. Metal shaping is an understatement.
Loved how you formed the B pillar door jamb. So looking forward to more.
You covered a lot of ground fast.
Cheers, Dion
TRS63
Thanks so much, this kind of comment really motivates ! I love the support here!

Metalshaping isn't my work or my background (I am a mechanical engineer) but I love it so much and really try my best here so really appreciated!

So, now that the car is solidly anchored in the frame and we can go forward.
Before starting on the hellhole, I made one last repair on the driver's B-pillar.
The bottom had some holes:
IPB Image

IPB Image

So I built the repair part in two parts as original:
IPB Image

Adjusted:
IPB Image

Tacked in position :
IPB Image

And welded:
IPB Image
IPB Image

Stay tuned, hellhole repair comes next!

Cheers

Antoine
TonyA
Great work I just sent you a PM because both of my parents are from south of your area.
tygaboy
Great work, great documentation. Thanks so much for the detailed "how to" steps! This is so helpful for others who have to do the same repairs. smilie_pokal.gif

Certainly far more useful than the sorts of things I post!
TRS63
Thanks a lot for the support, really appreciated ! Stay tuned, a lot more to come as I had a day free for it this week!

Cheers

Antoine
TRS63
So, before removing the paint on the right rear quarter panel, I was'nt sure how to deal with it while repairing the hellhole. I knew cutting it would allow me a better access but cutting good metal is always a hard decision..
Well, from that point of view I got "lucky" lol-2.gif because there is no good metal unsure.gif lol-2.gif
Here without paint:
IPB Image

IPB Image

And I have a habit that I built(or make sure I have it) the part before cutting, to ensure I won't miss any measurement/positioning. So here we go !
Making my template :
IPB Image

IPB Image

And starting :
IPB Image

IPB Image

And after a couple hours:
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

I left the front part undone to be able to make a good door gap when it comes to that time.

So, now that this is done..cutting!
IPB Image

Stay tuned, the work on the hellhole is going to start!

Cheers

Antoine

wonkipop
fantastic.

can see the phoenix red peeking through. beerchug.gif

Badinfluence1
You car is really sweet- I'm guessing that their are more 914's in the states, but most are full of rust, The really nice ones that are in Europe. Welcome to 914 world. chris welder.gif
FL000
Wow, cool to see you take sheet metal and form those complex parts. Looks like you are using basic hand tools also?
SteveL
DAMN, that is a lot of skill with metal.
Nice work!
Dion
Awesome Antoine!
TRS63
Thanks a lot guys!
@wonkipop : yes, the color is showing through and will be back biggrin.gif

@FL000 : yes, no fancy pullmax or power hammer..a lot by hands and a bit of shrinker/stretcher/wheeling machine biggrin.gif

I made some more progress !
I removed the 47 years old fuel lines: smash.gif
IPB Image

IPB Image

Stainless steel replacement is on its way! smile.gif

Then I looked further on the outside part of the hellhole..which doesn't look promising: headbang.gif
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

And after checking a bit inside (quite a lot of layers in this badly repaired jack point..): huh.gif
IPB Image

There were some findings:
IPB Image

And a lot of rust falling through:
IPB Image

I did not want to fight forming too much thick metals so I made a small order to save me some time:
IPB Image

So..time to cut really into this repair..
But before that, I took a bit of time investing in my future partner in crime..my 5 years old boy already wants to learn how to weld! wub.gif
IPB Image

Stay tuned

Antoine
Dion
He looks well prepared! Hope he has fun. Sorry that hell hole is not looking kind. Good call on getting the new pre-formed metal. Some time saved. Amazing how the grommet made its way down to the jack area! Carry on.
TRS63
Yes, it is great to get him a feeling how it works and sharing it with him!

For the hellhole : there is sure a lot to do but if will end up strong sunglasses.gif

So, next on my list was the engine tray on the right..as your might remember it was not nice, so I removed it:
IPB Image

But it was even worse than I thought: unsure.gif
IPB Image

Almost not enough to use as a template! unsure.gif
IPB Image

So I started to make a new one..and I had some difficulties getting the shape with so few left..I made a couple trial and in the end made it in two parts, easier to adjust and tig welded together in the end.
Here both parts getting adjusted:
IPB Image

And welded: welder.gif
IPB Image

I still need to make the holes for the grommets and build the retaining part for the engine seal but if fits as it should:
IPB Image

Stay tuned,
Antoine
TRS63
So, I got a big box:
IPB Image

With my stainless steel fuel lines:
IPB Image

And the vinyl for the sail panel:
IPB Image

And then it was time to start on the hellhole. First making some space in the corner of the cabin..so a part ofthe firewall has to go:
IPB Image

It had its issue and bad repair:
IPB Image

IPB Image

So it was time to remove as far as needed to repair it properly:
IPB Image

What I discovered behind it wasn't nice either:
IPB Image

IPB Image

And the floor "repair" was not butt welded, which showed when I cut here the remain of the firewall and water came through capillarity even if the car did not see any water/rain since end of july unsure.gif
IPB Image

So more work on this area..
The next update with some firewall repair is coming, stay tuned !

Antoine

TRS63
So, as I said, before going further, I repaired properly the firewall part I did cut.
It had a "repair" with metal over rust... headbang.gif
IPB Image

IPB Image

So I made a patch :
IPB Image

IPB Image

And adjusting:
IPB Image

IPB Image

Ready to weld:
IPB Image

Tack welded and check:
IPB Image

IPB Image

Welded and check:
IPB Image

IPB Image

And grinded/planished:
IPB Image

Cheers

Antoine

TRS63
So, next update ! I removed the triangle at the back of the floor and it was damaged/poorly welded but still not really rusted so I decided to save it.
Before:
IPB Image

During:
IPB Image

After welding and beadblasting:
IPB Image

Then it was time to make some space to work on the long. Rust damages were there:
IPB Image

And when removing you see the old "repair" with metal over rust:
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

So let's make some space:
IPB Image

And start to make the repair pieces:
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Test checking in position :
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

And soon all of this will be welded together:
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Stay tuned, I planned some solid hours on it next week !

Antoine
wonkipop
great stuff @TRS63 .

since you are a dedicated L jet owner chopping out all the rust and fixing the dodgy repairs from half a century too far away from german precision - cough up your info on the L jet info request thread i posted. i spied a photo at start of your thread and could see something resembling an intact L jet set up. you might have some interesting info if you look closely at what is left on the car.

keep up the good work. beerchug.gif
TRS63
Thanks for the kind words ! beerchug.gif
I did not manage to go to the shop this week but saw your post and will contribute there with my informations !
Bests
Antoine
TRS63
So, I finished welding the seat belt mounting point and adjusting my home made part of the long:
IPB Image

Then time to start on the back part. Plenty of rust:
IPB Image

Inner suspension console has some rust, see here the holes:
IPB Image

Some bad repairs with metal over rust, and looks like the long's rust gets up to it :
IPB Image

So decision was made to remove it to repair correctly..and I opened again a can of rust..
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

So it's now removed:
IPB Image

IPB Image

But it is really rusted through on several places and poorly repaired on others..
IPB Image

IPB Image

I think I will order a new one instead of fixing it..will be cleaner, efficienter and easier!
Just for fun made some assembly :
IPB Image

Then it was time to remove the rusted long. My plan is to remove the rusted part of the inner long, weld the new one in (including engine mount and inner suspension console), and then remove the outer long with part of the wheel tray, and replace it. Even if everything is braced, I feel safer to make it one after the other to keep some sort of stability and measure points. Please tell me if anything speaks against it, I am still new in the 914world!

So here we are:
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Time to remove the engine mount:
IPB Image

Rust behind it:
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

And out:
IPB Image

The long was really at the end of its life:
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

And now the parts ready for blasting:
IPB Image

And blasted:
IPB Image

IPB Image

The engine mount showed some issues :
IPB Image

So let's fix it:
IPB Image

Ready to weld:
IPB Image

One picture with a hint of the color, good for the motivation !
IPB Image

Now this topic is up to date!

Stay tuned,

Antoine
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.