Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sale Pending - My purchase of 9140431482
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
mate914
QUOTE(mountainroads @ Feb 25 2024, 11:40 PM) *

QUOTE(Rufus @ Feb 25 2024, 06:53 PM) *

QUOTE(mountainroads @ Feb 24 2024, 02:46 PM) *

3) I need to correct one detail that keeps coming up. The front latch panel was correct when Gamroth inspected the car. Chris noted it in my initial PPI. Rillos noticed it, sourced a used donor panel, and welded it in prior to painting. Gamroth apparently failed to note it had been replaced.

“The front latch panel was correct when Gamroth inspected the car.”

MR, is this your belief?

Yes - that is my belief. CORRECT. Not ORIGINAL. I was told it wasn't correct during the bodywork and Rillos replaced it with a donor panel. If it isn't the correct panel for a 1970, then that's another dropped ball by Rillos.

Ironically, I considered a nice new generously applied coat of Wurth to be a good thing. Yes, I know that can be used to hide things, but I had no reason to suspect that was the case.

I have no idea what could possibly NOT be public information at this point.

I'm done posting to this thread. I'd be willing to engage in constructive dialogue if I thought it would help or do any good, but I've concluded there's no point. There's nothing I can do or say that'll change anything.

- MR

Its almost like we are talking to a bot. It never receives info and uses it. The bot just keeps sowing hate and division. Then the bot goes on with more hate. I call bot... Not a Man.
Matt flag.gif
Rufus
QUOTE(Craigers17 @ Feb 26 2024, 04:00 AM) *

So this thread is obviously very long, but I think you said you RECEIVED the car back in November of 2020. One would expect that, at that time, you would have completed a comprehensive inspection of the vehicle yourself(especially given the standard you are holding everyone else to), having spent 50K + on the vehicle and more additional cash on repairs.

Given that assumption, why didn't this thread come up nearly three and a half years ago? Was the rust hidden so that you didn't notice it? What made you suspicious of there being rust issues? Was it paint bubbling? Was it possible that the paint just started bubbling recently and that clued you in to the rust issues? If YOU didn't notice the rust issues for over three years, how can you hold the PO or the gentleman that did the PPI to a higher standard than yourself? If the rust issues didn't reveal themselves until recently, it would be very difficult to understand how you could blame anyone but the shop that did the paint job, and since you didn't commission that paint job, I highly doubt you'd have any recourse against that vendor. I ASSUME most bodyshops don't warranty anything for more than a year or two.

All very reasonable questions, for which there are logical and reasonable answers. But since that’s all outside the scope of my thread, to document findings during my dissection of the car, I won’t go into them.
Rufus
QUOTE(mate914 @ Feb 26 2024, 04:31 AM) *

3) I need to correct one detail that keeps coming up. The front latch panel was correct when Gamroth inspected the car. Chris noted it in my initial PPI. Rillos noticed it, sourced a used donor panel, and welded it in prior to painting. Gamroth apparently failed to note it had been replaced.

MR, is this your belief?

Yes - that is my belief. CORRECT. Not ORIGINAL. I was told it wasn't correct during the bodywork and Rillos replaced it with a donor panel. If it isn't the correct panel for a 1970, then that's another dropped ball by Rillos.

Ironically, I considered a nice new generously applied coat of Wurth to be a good thing. Yes, I know that can be used to hide things, but I had no reason to suspect that was the case.

I'm done posting to this thread. I'd be willing to engage in constructive dialogue if I thought it would help or do any good, but I've concluded there's no point. There's nothing I can do or say that'll change anything.

- MR

Its almost like we are talking to a bot. It never receives info and uses it. The bot just keeps sowing hate and division. Then the bot goes on with more hate. I call bot... Not a Man.
Matt flag.gif

Good morning, Matt

BTW: my name’s Bob; not bot
mate914
QUOTE(Rufus @ Feb 26 2024, 06:51 AM) *

MR, is this your belief?

- MR

Matt flag.gif

Good morning, Matt

Hi Bot. Another day of blaming everyone else. bye1.gif
Rufus
QUOTE(mate914 @ Feb 26 2024, 05:07 AM) *

MR, is this your belief?

- MR

Matt flag.gif

Good morning, Matt

Glad to see you in such a cheery mood today, Matt
mate914
QUOTE(Rufus @ Feb 26 2024, 07:09 AM) *

MR, is this your belief?

- MR

Matt flag.gif

Good morning, Matt

Bob,
Do you need help removing your rockers still? That will tell you a lot about your 914-6. I'm surprised you didn't do that when you got the car....
Matt flag.gif

Rufus
QUOTE(mate914 @ Feb 26 2024, 05:35 AM) *

MR, is this your belief?

- MR

Matt flag.gif

Good morning, Matt

Bob,
Do you need help removing your rockers still? That will tell you a lot about your 914-6. I'm surprised you didn't do that when you got the car....
Matt flag.gif

Yep, I haven’t tried again after trying yesterday. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated
KELTY360
QUOTE(Rufus @ Feb 26 2024, 04:53 AM) *

MR, is this your belief?

- MR

Matt flag.gif

Good morning, Matt

Bob,
Matt flag.gif

Yep, I haven’t tried again after trying yesterday. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

Use the search.
Inspecting the longs is the starting point for evaluating a 914 purchase. There are lots of threads.
Rufus
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Feb 26 2024, 06:19 AM) *

QUOTE(Rufus @ Feb 26 2024, 04:53 AM) *

MR, is this your belief?

- MR

Matt flag.gif

Good morning, Matt

Bob,
Matt flag.gif

Use the search.
Inspecting the longs is the starting point for evaluating a 914 purchase. There are lots of threads.

Gotcha, thanks!
rhodyguy
I find 16 quotes/reposts excessive.
Rufus
Couldn’t find any soft spots in probing with an awl on outside or bottom surface.

Pics of left long outer face; before & after Milwaukee M12 wire brush in different spots. Looks to me the reddish color isn’t rust; and is Tangerine paint …

FWIW: valance panel stuck on with tar along top. Very little dirt or debris found
Rufus
Bottom left long surface …

Curious about white plastic(?) like material along a portion of long. It’s kinda tough and resists scraping, prying, etc.. Look normal? Thoughts?
mepstein
Fiberglass patches?
Rufus
Ooooof!

And the part # in PET? confused24.gif
burton73
That is Wurth put on from the factory. Same on my 6.

It better to view the right side under rocker because it catches water and gets trapped at jack post on a number of cars.

Bob B
Rufus
Will do. Not sure if today or tomorrow

Bob B., think there’s any possibility the Wurth is new; that’s what MR’s advert said?
930cabman
I'm seeing rust, but perhaps not catastrophic
Rufus
Agreed 930cabman. Thinkin I might attack the white layer next. Concerned it may not be good news underneath
mountainroads
QUOTE(Rufus @ Feb 25 2024, 02:25 PM) *

And kinda like believing everything your local body man / painter says without checking yourself, huh? After all, he reassured you, right?

Yes, I know, I said I was done posting to this thread. The following occurred to me last night so I'm adding now.

Yes Rufus, that was my mistake. I trusted Rillos to identify and properly fix what needed to be fixed. I trusted him to say "This should be taken care of." I didn't think I needed to observe every move or stand there and watch every step or part that was installed. I hired pros because they were supposed to be the experts, not me. You missed the part where I said I regularly checked on progress. By regularly, I meant at least once a month, and often weekly.

Not once did I tell any shop not to do something because it was too expensive or I didn't want to pay for it.

- MR
SirAndy
QUOTE(Rufus @ Feb 26 2024, 08:44 AM) *

Will do. Not sure if today or tomorrow

Bob B., think there’s any possibility the Wurth is new; that’s what MR’s advert said?

The white coating is from the factory, that's what they used to protect the underside of the car.
The weathered black coating is probably from way back when and dealer applied.
The fresh black coating is aftermarket, which is most likely what the seller referred to.

shades.gif
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(mountainroads @ Feb 26 2024, 12:53 PM) *

And kinda like believing everything your local body man / painter says without checking yourself, huh? After all, he reassured you, right?

Yes, I know, I said I was done posting to this thread. The following occurred to me last night so I'm adding now.

Yes Rufus, that was my mistake. I trusted Rillos to identify and properly fix what needed to be fixed. I trusted him to say "This should be taken care of." I didn't think I needed to observe every move or stand there and watch every step or part that was installed. I hired pros because they were supposed to be the experts, not me. You missed the part where I said I regularly checked on progress. By regularly, I meant at least once a month, and often weekly.

Not once did I tell any shop not to do something because it was too expensive or I didn't want to pay for it.

- MR

its is unfortunate that so much was buried and missed. Thsi is why 5 years ago i drove my car to Connecticut to Tangerine racing for Chris and Ed to take care of mine.
i had seen other stories here similar to this over the 10 years before that.
When i bought my car i didnt know what a "hell Hole" or a "long" etc was, and man i had no idea how bad it was in my longs and rear jack points. so very similar except i didnt pay for a PPI. In the end though CHris and Ed did a great job, i have new rebuilt floor rear longs jack points and half floor pans. sorry to hear of the isues but you have t0o move on. Chris took picutres of the process and each step so i knew that the longs and floors were done right.

Move on and up and get it done, - it does serve as a lesson in several areas. Be fair to those involved but i have no issue with calling out those that did NOT do their job well or do what they knew needed to be done- maybe worse if they put themselves out there as na expert but then didnt know. seems a little bit of both - either way have to move on , fix and enjoy that is what i did, i have never called out the P.O., but circumstances were a bit different with my purchase.

Phil
Rufus
QUOTE(mountainroads @ Feb 26 2024, 10:53 AM) *

- MR

Quoting MR post #78:
It was indeed a “no expense spared” (relatively, and within reason) body restoration ………….
…………. It was one of the few cost-control concessions“

confused24.gif I easily get SO confused confused24.gif
Rufus
@SirAndy : Thanks for sharing your insight. I’m looking at the chassis parts page on AA, but don’t see the white coating called out. Any idea why? Was it just not a serviceable part? … or?
SirAndy
QUOTE(Rufus @ Feb 26 2024, 10:49 AM) *

@SirAndy : Thanks for sharing your insight. I’m looking at the chassis parts page on AA, but don’t see the white coating called out. Any idea why? Was it just not a serviceable part? … or?

The search is your friend ...
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=152778
shades.gif
mountainroads
QUOTE(Rufus @ Feb 26 2024, 10:08 AM) *

- MR

Quoting MR post #78:
It was indeed a “no expense spared” (relatively, and within reason) body restoration ………….

Do I really need to spell this out? I was never going to strip the car down to naked tub and acid dip. Plus, I didn't think it needed it.
mepstein
QUOTE(mountainroads @ Feb 26 2024, 02:48 PM) *

- MR

Quoting MR post #78:

Do I really need to spell this out? I was never going to strip the car down to naked tub and acid dip. Plus, I didn't think it needed it.

Not worth it for a couple spots on the pan and firewall. You patch them up, coat, paint and move on. If you want a rust free Porsche, you go to the dealer and buy a Boxster.
mrholland2
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 26 2024, 01:08 PM) *

QUOTE(mountainroads @ Feb 26 2024, 02:48 PM) *

- MR

Quoting MR post #78:

Not worth it for a couple spots on the pan and firewall. You patch them up, coat, paint and move on. If you want a rust free Porsche, you go to the dealer and buy a Boxster.

I'm kinda thinking that all the time spent on this thread could've gotten A LOT more done. But who knows? confused24.gif
Rufus
I’m closing out this segment of the story.

Attached pics show two chips containing the Porsche white PVC undercoating (most visible in edge views) removed from the bottom left long surface. There’s also a curled up section that was shaved off by razor blade. And finally some minute material shavings on the razor blade. I see no evidence of reinforcing fibers which leads to my conclusion.

This doesn’t point to the possibility of something intentionally applied for nefarious reasons. But the longs will be stripped bare to confirm all is well. The PVC coating is damaged, and may not provide protection different than a modern epoxy anyway.

On to the next step …
Rufus
Beginning the next chapter of my story with this …

On Thursday, 2/15 I reached out to Jeff Gamroth providing a link to this thread with the suggestion he follow along. No response.

This morning I emailed him again. I’ll report if / when he responds.
Rufus

- MR

FINALLY! after 3 weeks. If MR had not made HIS mistake in 2014, the rust would have been addressed properly then and would not have existed in 2020 or today, and … I would never have been motivated to start this thread and endure the ruthless bashing here. With this admission, Part 1 of my story enters a new phase.
mate914
QUOTE(Rufus @ Feb 27 2024, 06:01 AM) *

- MR

FINALLY! after 3 weeks. If MR had not made HIS mistake in 2014, the rust would have been addressed properly then and would not have existed in 2020 or today, and … I would never have been motivated to start this thread and endure the ruthless bashing here. With this admission, Part 1 of my story enters a new phase.

Wow victims mentality. You are perfect and everyone else is a big bad orange man. I beg you to talk on any other car board like you did here. You will get the same treatment. Respect is earned not giving.
Have a great day.
Matt flag.gif bye1.gif
Superhawk996
Porche’s fault.

If they had built the cars out of Galvaneal steel and had e-coated them . . . Wait that technology wasn’t in use back in the 70s. Well then, they should have invented it, and pioneered its use on 914’s.

Rufus, there are are a bunch of good folks here that simply want to help you move forward in a productive way. Likewise, we try to support those within the small 914 community as best we can, despite the distance and differences between us.

If you’re not interested in that happening, that would be a shame, and will be of your own doing.
jhynesrockmtn
QUOTE(Rufus @ Feb 27 2024, 03:01 AM) *

- MR

You brought this all on yourself. You're an entitled man child. A supposed car expert who buys a car sight unseen, relies on a PPI done in the sellers garage and then proceeds to use the same shop to do a bunch of work. Yet, this is all on the seller and the shop. Whatever "ruthless bashing" you have received, is well earned.
mepstein
The 914 community is really fantastic and has done for me, more than I could ever give back - through I’d like to try my best.
Yea, if all this is about is building some sort of case against the former owner, then I’m out. The responses from Rufus are starting to sound pretty creepy.
technicalninja
Don't feed the troll...

The responses are enraging him, and he may have "old people" disease.

My dad (84) has lost his "nice" filters in the last few years.

He says stuff he wouldn't have said in the past. Sometimes it's embarrassing to take him out in public.

I see a bit of him in Rufus's responses...

We've really tried to help but it appears he was looking for ANYHING to hang MR with.

Trying to litigate on something that happened 10 years ago is the definition of "decreased mental capacity" in my book.

He pegged my "Squirrel-O-Meter" out with his last post and my suggestion now is to no-longer post in this thread.

It will be interesting to see how long Rufus continues to post after others stop posting.

Along with Mepstein, I'm out!
I'll not post again in ANY of Rufus's threads.
ninja.gif

BillJ
This has been amusing but havent posted because this attempt to garner support for his spin and opinion was inevitable and misleading from the outset. The subtitle said it all right from the word go. So many demeaning and loaded statements start with a disclaimer saying precisely what will be said. "I'm not racist but...." or "Not trying to belittle the guy but..." etc etc.

Sorry you dont have the car you thought you bought. Go do whatever action you think you should. I think we should lock this thing. No more can come of it.

No animosity meant btw.
mountainroads
So far I've refrained from saying anything that could be remotely perceived as victim blaming, but I've finally had enough.

I get that Rufus didn't want an additional project. I get that he's unhappy he didn't get what he thought he was getting. I'm not even going to fault him for not seeing the car in person, although not doing so is always risky. IDK, but I doubt that would've made a difference to his purchase decision. I'm even going to agree to a certain extent with his contention that whether he paid $50K or $150K, he didn't get what he expected. Who of us hasn't had that experience?

By his own admission, he always wanted a genuine -6. He saw an ad for a nicely restored genuine 6 at what any reasonable 914 afficienado would know was a bargain price, for what he could or wanted to pay, and so saw his opportunity. He had a $10K credit with Rothsport for an aborted conversion project and saw a solution.

The asking price wasn't low because I knew it was a bad car. The price was low because I'd accomplished my restoration project objective, I didn't drive the car as much as I thought I would, the uncertainty around COVID times, and I wanted to move on. I also knew that 50+ year old cars are somewhat fragile and temperamental by nature, no matter how well (or not) originally made. Although I knew the car wasn't perfect, I never suspected any rust hadn't been properly addressed.

I think Rufus' own karma bit him a bit. We had some back and forth PMs, emails, and phone calls. As far as I remember, most of his focus was on price and closing the deal, subject to PPI. He never asked for any restoration pictures or shop invoices. He never asked me if the car had ever been in an accident. He never asked about rust repair, a known possible problem with ANY pre-galvanized car, and some more than others. He never asked if he could talk to the previous owner or any of the shops who worked on the car. Nor did his PPI provider. I would've willingly provided all of that information to him or Rothsport if they'd acted interested. I probably volunteered that AFAIK I was the fourth owner, but I couldn't even swear to that. I think he wanted to seal the deal as fast as possible before someone else snapped it up. And, he trusted the superficial Rothsport PPI. He would never admit it, but I think he got greedy and that blinded him to some of the pitfalls with that approach. Rufus still might've ended up with a car with undiscovered rust, but at least then he could claim he did everything possible to avoid it.

@Rufus : It wasn't my job to shepherd you through the used car purchase process or how to spend your money. To some extent that was Rothsport's job. You're so thoroughly convinced I knowingly sold you a car with unresolved rust issues that you can't see any other possible explanation. Man up and admit these facts, even if just to yourself, since you say you're all about facts.
Eric_Ciampa
If only this was a progress and restoration thread and not whatever Rufus seems intent on making it. I want to see more of this beautiful car! Rufus, you bought this car for $56K, I would offer you that right now knowing all the issues you found.

Note to self MR is a stand up guy and I would buy from him anytime. beerchug.gif
Rufus
More coming soon … confused24.gif
Rufus
After emailing Jeff Gamroth on 2/15 and 2/25, still no response. Just emailed again …
930cabman
QUOTE(Rufus @ Mar 5 2024, 04:27 PM) *

Any sort of applied undercoating ???

This is almost ALWAYS (at least 99%) a sign of some sort of coverup. Should be a major red flag for a problem.
sixnotfour
Be Glad youre not this poor guy....
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.3...3866&type=3
mate914
QUOTE(Rufus @ Mar 5 2024, 04:28 PM) *

After emailing Jeff Gamroth on 2/15 and 2/25, still no response. Just emailed again …

Maybe it went to spam? rolleyes.gif confused24.gif
914sgofast2
How long is the forum administrator going to allow this thread to keep going?
rhodyguy
It had slipped to mid p2. And a bump….damn. My Crocus are blooming.
sixnotfour
double post

Rufus
confused24.gif
Rufus
confused24.gif confused24.gif
Rufus
More, maybe much more, to come …
bkrantz
QUOTE(930cabman @ Mar 5 2024, 03:11 PM) *

QUOTE(Rufus @ Mar 5 2024, 04:27 PM) *

Any sort of applied undercoating ???

This is almost ALWAYS (at least 99%) a sign of some sort of coverup. Should be a major red flag for a problem.

Indeed. And I learned that myself. See my build thread.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.