Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sale Pending - My purchase of 9140431482
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Rufus
This’s the advertisement for the 914/6 I bought in 2020:

QUOTE(mountainroads @ May 31 2020, 03:56 PM) *

Update: Car has been SOLD. Thanks.

VIN 9140431482. 126500 miles. Non-matching 2.7 liter engine. Original (AFAIK) transmission converted to side-shifter. Car appears mostly stock at first glance, hiding multiple subtle upgrades. Mildly flared fenders accommodate 7X15 Fuchs. Engine pulls strongly to redline and is an absolute blast to drive. Receives many compliments. Always garaged and never driven in rain during my ownership. Car is currently registered as a Collector Vehicle with a clear Washington State title.

I purchased this car in January 2012 with the intent to drive and enjoy it for a couple of years while I figured out exactly what I wanted to do, and then bring it up to a high end, driver-quality car. Local Washington State car its entire life, having originally been purchased new at Humphrey Porsche Audi VW in Everett. I believe I am the fourth owner with previous owner taking possession in 1993. Restored and maintained by best available local talent. Competing time demands and recent health issues cause me not to drive it as much as I hoped or should (~500 miles since I got the car back), so it’s time for someone else to have the pleasure. I’ve received a few word-of mouth nibbles but no follow-through, so offering publically here first, then PCA, then BAT. Detailed restoration documentation and maintenance invoices available. Asking price reflects our current economic reality. $59,500.

Body/Interior
Started no-expense spared restoration in 2014. Paint and body work done by Kirsten Rillos at Rillos Restoration, Kent Wa. Interior by Steve Shepp, Classic Interiors, Ballard Wa.

- Full repaint in original Tangerine (23)
- Only minor surface rust repair needed in a few spots (above left rear taillight, below windshield frame, etc.).
- No structural rust or other body damage.
- New battery tray - the only body part that warranted replacement. No damage to longitudinal, underneath.
- New Wurth underbody sealant.
- Patrick Motorsports rear chassis frame stiffening kit installed to accommodate increased engine HP. https://patrickmotorsports.com/products/bod-914-crk-pmp
- All chrome and bright parts re-plated.
- New windshield. (Original had scratch marks that wouldn’t come out. No cracks.)
- Original rear window defroster.
- All new rubber seals.
- New seat upholstery, back pad, carpeting.
- Original dash in excellent condition.
- New CocoMats.
- 911-E tachometer to better match engine redline. Original working tachometer comes with car.

Engine/Transmission
All engine, transmission, mechanical installation and maintenance work performed by Chris’s Geman Auto Service in Redmond Wa. and Aker’s Porsche, Seattle Wa.

- New Elgin 306/288-106 camshafts.
- New Carrera pressure-fed chain tensioners.
- New 1st gear transmission synchro. Rings, sleeves, bushings, and gaskets as needed.
- New Classic Retrofit CDI+ (6 Pin).
- Original Italian Weber carbs rejetted for 2.7 and new cams.
- Powder-coated original heat exchangers.
- Oil tank cleaned and hot-tanked.
- Fuel tank cleaned, boiled, and resealed.
- New Dansk muffler.
- New spark plugs, ignition wires, cap, and rotor.
- Replaced original plastic fuel line with braided steel line through the tunnel.
- New Optima yellow-top battery.
- All new fluids, etc.

Brakes/Wheels/Running Gear
- 7 X 15 Fuchs with RSR finish, restored by Harvey Weidman.
- Goodyear Eagle GT 205/60R-15 tires.
- 911-S aluminum front calipers.
- Genuine NOS 914-6 GT (not cut down 911) rear brake rotors.
- All brake calipers restored by PMB Performance. (Spacers installed in rears to fit the wider, ventilated GT rotors.)
- New 23mm ATE master cylinder.
- Powder-coated suspension components.
- Koni shocks.
- Tool kit and factory jack.

Additional parts, brand-new Covercraft car cover, factory service manuals come with the car.

Please PM me if seriously interested. I will do my best to respond on a daily basis, but I’m not in the profession of selling cars so please don’t expect an instant response. Apologies in advance for a few of the crappy cell phone pictures. They were the best I could manage at the time. Additional pictures and short running videos available upon request.

Thank you!

- MR

A couple of PRE-restoration and engine ready for re-install pictures, below.
Rufus
Before deciding to purchase, I hired Jeff Gamroth to perform a PPI for $1000. Here’s his report:

“Exterior:
Initial walk around shows all body gaps excellent, with excellent paint.
No signs of major rust issues, found 1 10mm diameter bubble under paint below passenger side sail at leading edge of quarter panel.
Trunks both excellent.
Fuel tank and related plumbing excellent.
Undercoat heavily applied.
Top in excellent condition, latches very good.
Leading edge Targa top seal needs re-gluing to windshield frame.
Bumper chrome very good and aluminum trim very good.
Wheels are in excellent condition, lug nuts in fair condition.
Tires are dated 2011 and have flat spots from sitting.
All lights work, horns work, wipers work.
Rear fender flares very nicely done.
Interior:
In overall excellent condition, with some minor blemishes here and there. Dash is excellent, seats and carpet very good.
Has period Personal/Fittipaldi steering wheel.
Aftermarket speakers are loose.
All gauges work, gauges have varied patina.
Running Gear:
Engine base is 73’ 911T, 2.4L 7R crankcase.
Engine started good cold, with little smoke.
Engine has Carrera tensioners and Petronix ignition trigger.
Muffler is like new, heater boxes are in good condition, chrome tail pipe is missing. Slight seepage from pulley end of crankcase.
Leak down test: 4, 6, 5, 6, 6, 6%.
Oil tank and hoses are excellent.
Transmission type - 914/01 #7501494, no leaks detected.
Transmission shifts great, clutch cable needs adjustment.
Feels like stock gear ratios, no LSD.
Drive Test:
Engine performance - very good.
Driveability very good.
Rev limiter set at 6500 - should be raised to 7300.
Brake performance is poor due to crummy brake pads.
Car tracks straight, steering wheel very slightly off center (minor).
Has Bilstein front struts and Koni rear shocks.
Has H&H adjustable front sway bar with Tarett adjustable drop links.
911S Alloy front calipers.
E-brake works.
Has new battery.
CD unit mounted in left side of engine bay (should be mounted on bracket in front of battery).
Overall Impression:
This car was obviously restored and modified with quality and taste in mind. I would recommend purchasing.”
Rufus
Based on Jeff’s report, I proceeded to purchase the car. After he picked the car up from the seller, and brought it to his shop, we discussed what work he would perform based on the inspection and my specific desires. This was documented in a couple of emails I wrote:

7/1/20:
“Hi Jeff - This is to document work items for the 914-6 ...

1) Add engine oil cooling under the rear trunk.
2) Clutch adjustment.
3) R&R brake pads.
4) Four wheel alignment, including re-centering the steering wheel
5) Make sure everything locks and unlocks ... both doors and trunks. (Paul mentioned he doesn't think the rear trunk lock works.)
6) Add a hidden kill switch.
7) Re-glue roof weather stripping along front edge.
8) Mount and balance new tires.
9) Repair heater. Paul reported it's stuck in the 'on' position, with aluminum foil blocking the ductwork.
10) Please retain the current air cleaner setup.

Feel free to reach out if anything comes up.”

And on 7/2/20:
“Good morning Jeff - A minor correction to the ‘hit list’ for ‘1482 ...

Paul found the front trunk lock to be troublesome; not the rear.

... Bob”
Rufus
Here’s the resulting invoice I paid for Jeff’s work on the car between 7/1/20 and 10/19/20:Click to view attachment
Front yard mechanic
This car should be awesome…just the fact
dr914@autoatlanta.com
we sure sold the previous owner a bunch of parts
Rufus
Since taking delivery, I’ve driven the car 376 miles. It’s worth noting the PO had the car worked on by at least 2 shops specializing in Porsches and a restoration shop in the Seattle area.

Here’s a list of things I have fixed (or are still on my “to do” list) on the car since receiving it. I’ll add to it in the next day or so. I will also post photo or video documentation. These are ALL in “as received” condition. I recognize some of this, like the broken gas tank screen, tank debris / sediment and carb inlet screen are not reasonable to expect to be found in a PPI or servicing. But the car would not pass a basic safety inspection as received.

Headlights & high beams malfunctioning; metallic chunk of debris (solder?) lodged in column switch.
RF turn signal inoperative; bucket connector receptacle damaged / broken.
License plate lite inoperative; wiring connected wrong causing short.
Parking brake adjustment improper.
LR brake venting clearance off.
Shifting; worn rear firewall bushing.
Fuel vapors entering cabin & noticeable to both of wife’s 2 adult daughters in walking through the garage; rubber of SS braid hose quickly found to be leaking near shifter (from use of gas with ethanol?) w/$135 Rigid combustible gas “sniffer”.
Carbs: sediment / debris in floats, inlet filter torn causing unacceptable drivability.
Throttle linkage set to achieve WOT; but set incorrectly for idle to be on carb stops, or to avoid excessive side loading of throttle shafts at WOT.
Gas tank: sediment (paint flakes?) & rust inside, outlet sock filter broken. SS braid hose with 2 worm drive hose clamps on tank inlet pipe.
……

There have been other “disappointments” along the way, but since I don’t have documentation, shall be excluded from this thread.

This’s my most recent discovery earlier today:Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
930cabman
All sounds and looks great, until the last photo.

Looks like possible heavy rusting in the floor.
Rufus
Headlight /high beam malfunction. Left headlight dim vs right. Switching to high beams and left almost goes out while right got bright:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/4CieKfXcsMFZzxzPA

Photos showing RF turn signal continuously on flash mode, and of back side of broken RF turn signal connector showing missing tab for connection of 3rd wire:
technicalninja
That would make me check grounds first...

Look at bulbs too!

I've had broken filaments that crossed internally drive me bat shit crazy one time.

Might try discoing one side then the other to isolate.

I don't know enough about head light power supply on these yet...

Someone else, please chime in!
Craigers17
Regardless of a person's reputation, as a general rule, I would never let a person whom I am anticipating allowing to work on my car, do the PPI as well. There is already a baked in conflict of interest there. Not speaking to any parties involved in this particular situation, as I am not familiar. Hopefully the work that was performed was done to high level, so at least you have that.
Rufus
Probably should have posted this first: As received shift cover hanging loose & 2x4 block stuck to 901 transmission:
Rufus
QUOTE(technicalninja @ Jan 19 2024, 04:42 PM) *

That would make me check grounds first...

Look at bulbs too!

I've had broken filaments that crossed internally drive me bat shit crazy one time.

Might try discoing one side then the other to isolate.

I don't know enough about head light power supply on these yet...

Someone else, please chime in!

Thanks Technicalninja, but this was solved 1-2 yrs ago by removing the metallic chunk.

My purpose in this thread is to share facts from my experience dealing with people in buying this car. Except for the floorpan rust, I’m not seeking advice on these issues. After my floor pan rust discovery earlier today, I can’t hold my tongue any longer. I’m leaving it to everyone to draw their own conclusions
Rufus
Worn firewall shift bushing:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/jwwjCStqgKKq9Jqt6
Rufus
Haven’t figured out how to post videos. So here’s a series of stills taken one click of the parking brake lever at a time as rec’d. Left side moves 3 clicks before right side moves:
Rufus
QUOTE(Craigers17 @ Jan 19 2024, 04:43 PM) *

Hopefully the work that was performed was done to high level, so at least you have that.

Yep. Lesson learned re the conflict of interest.

Re Hopefully the work that was performed was done to a high level … and about the PPI and the work done before I took possession which should have caught things I’m dealing with or have dealt with??
Rufus
Venting clearance should be set to spec before installing & adjusting brake bias valve. LR outer as rec’d:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/fPsqmy5DGVejjTyv9
Rufus
SS braid hose attachment to gas tank inlet pipe, sediment flushed from gas tank:
Rufus
Ridgid combustible gas “sniffer” detecting fuel leak near shifter, and poor throttle geometry creating excessive throttle shaft side loading at WOT:
Rufus
Ridgid combustible gas “sniffer” detecting fuel leak near shifter, and poor throttle geometry creating excessive throttle shaft side loading at WOT:
Rufus
Broken fuel tank screen sock:
KELTY360
Regardless of the thread title, I suspect there’s an underlying opinion here. Do you think you were deceived? If so, by whom?
Rufus
Carb debris (the first possibly a piece of Porsche fabric reinforced fuel line), sediment and torn carb knitted nylon mesh inlet filter.
NARP74
Rufus is busy today
NARP74
At some point this will get to opinion popcorn[1].gif
burton73
@Rufus

Body/Interior
Started no-expense spared restoration in 2014. Paint and body work done by Kirsten Rillos at Rillos Restoration, Kent Wa. Interior by Steve Shepp, Classic Interiors, Ballard Wa.

- Full repaint in original Tangerine (23)
- Only minor surface rust repair needed in a few spots (above left rear taillight, below windshield frame, etc.).
- No structural rust or other body damage.

----------With what we see now, this statement is not even close. Your car will need a new floor pan put in. Hopefully it is only that. This is a real investment and if this was my factory 6 I would want it perfect. That is just the way I am. It may be curse but a spare no expense restoration is just that. An open checkbook------ These pictures kind of make me sick to my stomach. Try to find some light in this, at least you would make sure your clutch tube is right on.

Never give up on finding the original Engen case, you never know. It took me 17 years to find mine and I was lucky that one of our 914 brothers saw it was possibly for sale.

Best Bob B

Rufus
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Jan 19 2024, 07:31 PM) *

Regardless of the thread title, I suspect there’s an underlying opinion here. Do you think you were deceived? If so, by whom?

Deceived? Maybe. Mislead? More likely. Struck by incompetence, carelessness, negligence of otherwise respected people or businesses? Even more likely. Defrauded? Who knows? There’s a group of people or businesses who had a hand in this. Karma’s a B _ _ _ _ .

I have previous experience with a large financial loss that more than one party had a hand in. From that I learned it’s useless to attempt pinning blame or seeking restitution here. I simply want others here to draw their own conclusions from my experience. And maybe that’ll inform them if and when they consider whom to do business with in the future. And wrt that large financial loss, I spearheaded the successful years long effort to recover $486,000 for my family, an effort that included briefly winning a summary judgement against the IRS (they call me Columbo) during the years my aborted 914/6 project was in storage at Rothsport.

Others who’ve worked on the car for the PO include Akers and Chris’s German Auto in Seattle.
rgalla9146

The braided stainless fuel line and two clamps are incorrect.
The geometry of the throttle linkage starts at the toe board and ends at the two
drop links at the carbs. Necessary parts include a good gas pedal, a smooth
cable, good bushings and all correct 914 6 linkage parts.
You have the correct fuel delivery tube between the carbs but it appears to have
been modified. It should also be attached to the bulkhead by three
nylon snaps.
Your transaxle is a rear shifter converted to a side shifter.
Be sure to get the correct conversion bushing for the firewall.
KELTY360
QUOTE(Rufus @ Jan 19 2024, 06:50 PM) *

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Jan 19 2024, 07:31 PM) *

Deceived? Maybe. Mislead? More likely. Struck by incompetence, carelessness, negligence of otherwise respected people or businesses? Even more likely. There’s a group of people or businesses who had a hand in this.

I have previous experience with a large financial loss that more than one party had a hand in. From that I learned it’s useless to attempt pinning blame or seeking restitution. That’s not my goal. I simply want others here to draw their own conclusions from my experience. And maybe that’ll inform those who may consider doing business with those I cite in the future.

Others who’ve worked on the car for the PO include Akers and Chris’s German Auto in Seattle.

If you had travelled to the west coast to view the car in person, would your decision have been different?
Rufus
“If you had travelled to the west coast to view the car in person, would your decision have been different?“

Information not discovered and reported in the PPI weakened my negotiating position. If I’d known about the rust, I’d have run like Hell. Regarding the others, I might have paid less. As mentioned previously, my purpose here isn’t to pin blame or seek restitution. It’s to inform others in the community of pitfalls to watch out for.

I can’t, but at age 73, if I could get anything back, it’d be the time spent up to now and still being unsure when or if I’ll enjoy driving the car.
mb911
So if I read this right there is about 70k invested in this car? It is a real six so that falls right in line. I figure my conversion has to be worth 40-50 range and it’s not a real six. I think from a value standpoint you’re fine. The car over all is very nice. I do think the PPI should have picked up 11k worth of service and parts needed to set the car to par. This does also reinforce trying to do as much work yourself as you can. I struggle working on other people’s cars because I am spending their money with my suggested repairs.

Anyway I hope your able to enjoy the car
930cabman
Much of life is in the past, at least for many of us old guys here. We can learn from our experiences or not, either way nothing behind us can be changed.

Your car is a born 914/6 and that in itself is smilie_pokal.gif

Get the items in need of repairs in order and enjoy her in good health

Overall she looks great and probably runs the same
mb911
QUOTE(930cabman @ Jan 20 2024, 04:42 AM) *

Much of life is in the past, at least for many of us old guys here. We can learn from our experiences or not, either way nothing behind us can be changed.

Your car is a born 914/6 and that in itself is smilie_pokal.gif

Get the items in need of repairs in order and enjoy her in good health

Overall she looks great and probably runs the same

Well said. I think I am one of the younger guys on here but 100% agree.

Cairo94507
I feel your disappointment. Relying on others to assess a car is a gamble.

The best path forward is to decide how you want the car when it is done.

For my 6, I decided to do a full rotisserie restoration. I (ultimately) put my 6 in the talented hands of Kent Simmons, (Auto Art Customs, Torrance, CA) Jim Geer and crew. The end result was a 6 awarded a Blue Ribbon at Werks Reunion in 2022. first.gif . You can see my "build" threads in my signature.

We are now getting ready to drop the 9K mile 3.2, (for sale in the Classified) and with the help of some great, talented, knowledgable friends, put my '95 stock 18K mile 993 3.6 motor in. I will document the entire process and post for anyone interested to follow.

I am into my car a good chunk of money, but I love it. I have had 3 offers to buy it, all over $100K. I can't imagine ever selling my 6 while I am still able to drive. It is just a joy to drive and worth every dollar. beerchug.gif

At the end of the journey, it was all worth it and I learned a lot. I post everything about my 6 in the hope others learn from my experience. Life is too short to look in the rear-view (mostly laugh.gif ). beerchug.gif
fasthonda
If only the floor pan has rust and the rest is solid and the powertrain is strong, I'd say you still got a good deal considering its a real six. People are asking $80k plus them now.

If the floor pan rust is severe, the PPI surely should have caught that.

If the car makes you sick, sell it. If not just go make it right. After loosing tons of money in my 401k with swings in the market, having to spend a or loose a little on a car seems insignificant to me anymore.

Thank you for sharing your experience.
lalee914
I saw this car at Rennsport IV in 2011. Have a couple photos to post.
lalee914
It was for sale at that time.
lalee914
This photo is from July 2013. Don't know where it was taken.
infraredcalvin
Sidebar: That looks like @rick918-S 6 in the background, before it became up close and personal with the power pole…

Click to view attachment
Krieger
I see that you paid a significant sum for a PPI. The work that was required to repair the car was much more extensive than the PPI would would suggest.
technicalninja
QUOTE(mb911 @ Jan 20 2024, 06:17 AM) *

So if I read this right there is about 70k invested in this car? It is a real six so that falls right in line. I figure my conversion has to be worth 40-50 range and it’s not a real six. I think from a value standpoint you’re fine. The car over all is very nice. I do think the PPI should have picked up 11k worth of service and parts needed to set the car to par. This does also reinforce trying to do as much work yourself as you can. I struggle working on other people’s cars because I am spending their money with my suggested repairs.

Anyway I hope your able to enjoy the car

agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif

Billing is what I HATE the most!

It would be so much easier if money wasn't involved!

It's one of the main reasons I want to STOP working on OPCs...

I'll never stop wrenching, but I'd love to do it for my friends and family alone!
Rufus
For comparison to PPI and seller’s 914world advertisement description & photos. (Maybe not that unusual or awful for a 50yo 914, but unknown to me before making purchase decision & negotiating a deal. A similar photo was provided by PO, between finalizing the purchase and taking delivery.) Again, please draw your own conclusions.
Superhawk996
Why do I have a feeling that this isn’t even the finale?

Are you headed toward VIN swap or is this clipped? I’m not an expert on Model year vs VIN range, could this be a 72’ 914/6 chassis?
mb911
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Jan 20 2024, 10:01 AM) *

Are you headed toward VIN swap or is this clipped? I’m not an expert on Model year vs VIN range, could this be a 72’ 914/6?

I am thinking something similar wouldn’t that be a 75/76 front panel?
Cairo94507
It is very common for these 50+ year old 914's to have had mishaps along the way necessitating panel replacements. Nose and rear panels were pretty common. I have attached 2 photos showing my '71 914-6 nose panel corners for reference for your consideration.

I know my car had a later factory nose replacement panel installed when I bought it. The give away was the round holes in the nose panel were not opened up. I sourced an NOS early panel (mid-year) and we modified that to perfectly match the original '71 (early) panel. I guess what I am saying is not to get to wound up about differences; they can all be addressed to perfectly match what came stock in a '70, or whatever year 914 you have, from the factory. So long as the panel is correctly installed- like factory, I see no harm.

The only issue I would have is if someone tried to pass a car off as having never had work, when it has. That is why I documented the entire process of my build for all to see. beerchug.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Superhawk996
QUOTE(mb911 @ Jan 20 2024, 02:10 PM) *

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Jan 20 2024, 10:01 AM) *

Are you headed toward VIN swap or is this clipped? I’m not an expert on Model year vs VIN range, could this be a 72’ 914/6?

I am thinking something similar wouldn’t that be a 75/76 front panel?

I think 72’ and 75’ were similar but 75’ would have holes for the energy absorbing struts though I suppose creative metalwork could fill the holes.
Click to view attachment
Superhawk996
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jan 20 2024, 02:20 PM) *

The only issue I would have is if someone tried to pass a car off as having never had work, when it has.

Bingo. Though offering price seemed to indicate that the car had some issues.

And $1000 for a PPI that didn’t note this would piss me off. blink.gif

Beginning to understand OP’s frustration but wasn’t sure where this was headed with the first few posts.
Cairo94507
Wow! $1K for a PPI that did not identify these issues is borderline incompetent. sad.gif
Superhawk996
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jan 20 2024, 02:43 PM) *

Wow! $1K for a PPI that did not identify these issues is borderline incompetent. sad.gif

Is incompetent.

Fixed it for you - I’m not so polite happy11.gif
rhodyguy
Buying from pictures is like operating a worm drive electric saw while wearing a blindfold.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.