Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The neo914-6 Concept
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
neo914-6
QUOTE(AndrewBlyholder @ Aug 8 2006, 01:42 PM) *

Love the Neo914 project. I've had similar dreams, but I've several years from starting on anything. My long term goal is to create a comfortable highway cruiser with all the modern amenities, like good climate control/AC. My wife's family is in LA so we do the highway 5 boggie down from SF several times a year. I'd love to do that in a 914.

So I'm most interested in your new climate control system. I see you're splicing in an Audi system, but how much of it? Including the heater mixing box? If so, how are you mounting that? In the front trunk or behind the front bulkhead in the passenger compartment? AC? Condenser location?

Sorry so many questions,

Thanks,

Andrew

Andrew,

Thanks for the interest, I've heard alot about your race prowness!

I have the Audi S4 dash, climate control unit, controller that I'm adapting, er shoehorning ( sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif into the car. There is room under the cowl without the stock fan/blower and vents. It will fit but the passenger may have limited leg room laugh.gif .

I have 996 dual radiators and condensors to use with the stock Audi A/C compressor and dryer. I doubt it will work by November but as long as all the components are in, I just need to get custom AC lines made and the harness connectors attached. I am currently using an AC delete accessory belt, it must have come from Germany, LOL.

No pics until it is more complete but I am photo documenting most of the steps for those who want to duplicate it.
neo914-6
For AndrewB, new use of a jackstand... laugh.gif
TonyAKAVW
Last night a custom fabricator came by and took measurements off of my car for the rear spoiler. He'll be back next week with a prototype hinge to test for fit. Clearly this guy knows what he's doing. He showed up in a really wild hot rod he built. I'll try to get a picture of it next week. Very cool custom built car. WWII bomber motif with 50 cal barrels on the front, and tons of custom fabricated stuff including a throttle from some plane that he's using as his cruise control!

Anyway, the spoiler fabrication appears to be in good hands.

-Tony
neo914-6
Thanks Tony clap56.gif

He was referred to me by my friend a Yamaha designer...
mrdezyne
Felix,
What is your status, any progress lately? Can't wait to see this beast at SEMA!
JoeSharp
The fabracator ( David West) has the parts he needs to do the spoiler and my permission to cut it up for what he needs. I hope this will help to make it make to the show.
Joe
neo914-6
QUOTE(Joe Sharp @ Sep 6 2006, 02:51 PM) *

The fabracator ( David West) has the parts he needs to do the spoiler and my permission to cut it up for what he needs. I hope this will help to make it make to the show.
Joe

Every bit helps. biggrin.gif

Thanks!

Mr Dezyne,

Thanks for asking I gave an update on the Pelican post, not much time to post right now. I meet with the painter in 10 minutes...
mrdezyne
popcorn[1].gif thumb3d.gif

Keep up the good fight, we are all dying to see the rewards of your efforts...
neo914-6
Not much posting till now. I'm getting over a flu bug probably because I was working so late each night. The filler and glass dust/fumes didn't help.

The body prep is coming along, Ashley is working hard to avoid overuse of filler. It got into the high 90's a couple of weeks ago so I erected a car tent.

The front bumper was/is a project, I molded some fog light bezels out of yogurt containers and then molded the BMW intake bezels in plastic coated cardboard. The challenge was making it symetrical. It turned out the body and fenders weren't so I may have to refuse full front view pics for this reason. rolleyes.gif I'm still happy with the results and am learning alot more about fiberglass and forming materials. I'm going to tackle some CF after the "scoop" top.

I test fitted the cut-down tail light and housing. David will be up next week to fit the articulating spoiler. He's designed in the actuators and micro switches. I will have a "LAPUWALI" sticker under the spoiler as a tribute to James.

The headlight lenses are due any day now thanks to Tony and Jes' dad. I'm going to mount the ballasts inside the fender so I'll need to fab some liners to protect them.

That's it for now, maybe not until SEMA. Hope to see some of you there!

Click to view attachment
mrdezyne
I'd like to get a pair of those lenses also if and when they become available. I will get into Vegas on the 31st (Halloween in Vegas! All the freaks come out!) and leave on the 3rd so that gives me 3 days to track you down.... See ya there!
Mueller
Felix,

steering wheel extension is machined...you'll need 6 1/4-20 x 7/8 button socket head cap screws. If you want black oxide finish you can get them from mcmaster-carr....91255A541 is the item number, $7.20 for a pack of 50, or I can pick up some standard finish ones and we can paint them.

Gas filler tube is machined as well and fits nicely, I will be in Fremont on Tuesday, we can meet up for lunch...
neo914-6
QUOTE(Mueller @ Oct 2 2006, 11:45 AM) *

Felix,

steering wheel extension is machined...you'll need 6 1/4-20 x 7/8 button socket head cap screws. If you want black oxide finish you can get them from mcmaster-carr....91255A541 is the item number, $7.20 for a pack of 50, or I can pick up some standard finish ones and we can paint them.

Gas filler tube is machined as well and fits nicely, I will be in Fremont on Tuesday, we can meet up for lunch...

clap56.gif see ya tomorrow!
Aaron Cox
ahhhhhhhh moooooore Pics!!!!
jonwatts

Felix,

steering wheel extension is machined...

So Felix, do you still need my spare steering column? I keep forgetting to drop it off.

neo914-6
QUOTE(jonwatts @ Oct 2 2006, 08:41 PM) *

Felix,

steering wheel extension is machined...

So Felix, do you still need my spare steering column? I keep forgetting to drop it off.

Sure, want to join us for lunch in Fremont? I "may" not need the shaft if I a welder can add length with another rod. Have a windshield frame header? Jason just got rid of alot of tub parts!

Dang my second rocker came out of the mold crappy, I was trying two layer fiberglass and didn't saturate the mold enough but at least the corner was filled this time (cabosil). wacko.gif

I had the bumper almost finished but the right corner didn't quite match so I took the grinder to it...

Man I am going to beer3.gif drunk.gif after this project! laugh.gif
Mueller
gas filler "bezel" (???) finished....

working on the pedal assembly after lunch and grocery shopping chowtime.gif beer3.gif

Click to view attachment
neo914-6
QUOTE(Mueller @ Oct 22 2006, 01:26 PM) *

gas filler "bezel" (???) finished....

working on the pedal assembly after lunch and grocery shopping chowtime.gif beer3.gif

Click to view attachment

Sweet! Any chance of getting a radial "spun" pattern? See you Tues?

I'm taking Thur and Fri off to get it back together. Anyone in the Bay Area free to lend a hand would be appreciated...
Mueller
QUOTE(neo914-6 @ Oct 22 2006, 02:40 PM) *

I'm taking Thur and Fri off to get it back together. Anyone in the Bay Area free to lend a hand would be appreciated...

here you go, hard to see in the pic....Tuesday will work, I'm leaving Thrusday morning for Idaho with the family to visit some friends for the weekend...

Click to view attachment
neo914-6
QUOTE(Mueller @ Oct 22 2006, 07:16 PM) *

QUOTE(neo914-6 @ Oct 22 2006, 02:40 PM) *

here you go, hard to see in the pic....Tuesday will work, I'm leaving Thrusday morning for Idaho with the family to visit some friends for the weekend...

Click to view attachment

We're working on a project for Micron, watch out for the bears. ohmy.gif

Hey, leave me the keys to your truck, not kidding... laugh.gif blink.gif
Joe Bob
Are you going have any exterior graphics?
Mueller
pedal assemblies done...I "misplaced" the roll pin for that "J" dude smile.gif

hopefully I can find it before Tuesday....
IronHillRestorations
Any photos of the current condition?
neo914-6
Thursday arrival from Yeamans Auto Body (Scotts business)... mueba.gif

mrhurtalot
QUOTE(neo914-6 @ Oct 27 2006, 04:20 AM) *

Wow. clap56.gif looks amazing!! cant wait till its finished!
Bigbohr
QUOTE(TonyAKAVW @ Aug 2 2006, 03:57 PM) *

btw Felix, what is up with the headlight in turnsignal bucket deal??

First batch of lenses will be arriving here about a month from now. As far as I know thats the 'critical part.'

-Tony

Was there any more news on these clear lenses? That should be pretty cool.

John Kelly
Wow, looks fantastic Felix! Can't wait to see it put back together.

John www.ghiaspecialties.com
TonyAKAVW

Ahh yes, the saga of the lenses. The worst part of this is that I won't be able to get Felix the lenses in time for the show. The first batch of lenses were molded Monday of last week, but they didn't come out well. At this point the die is being polished. That is supposed to be done within the next week, but I don't know when the die will get back on to the injection molding machine. I'm hoping within 2-3 weeks but I don't know.

I'll try to find the pictures I have later.

-Tony
GTeener
QUOTE(neo914-6 @ Oct 27 2006, 02:20 AM) *

thumb3d.gif Looking really cool!

Good stuff Felix clap56.gif
neo914-6
QUOTE(TonyAKAVW @ Oct 27 2006, 10:06 AM) *

Ahh yes, the saga of the lenses. The worst part of this is that I won't be able to get Felix the lenses in time for the show. The first batch of lenses were molded Monday of last week, but they didn't come out well. At this point the die is being polished. That is supposed to be done within the next week, but I don't know when the die will get back on to the injection molding machine. I'm hoping within 2-3 weeks but I don't know.

I'll try to find the pictures I have later.

-Tony

I would have really liked the lenses on for the show and Tony did his best. I spent a little extra time finishing the bezel and they look "mean". I'll wait for the lenses before getting professional pictures...

Thanks all for the kind words!!! I'll have to update the contributors list soon...
TonyAKAVW
Here's the preliminary pictures of the lenses and the die.
TonyAKAVW
The die.. currently out for polishing.
McMark
drooley.gif Custom made parts make me drool! drooley.gif
bryanf
Just a thought....You might want to talk to the guys as Prototypes Plus (Menlo Park) for a quicker way to make parts like these lenses. They should be able to whip out a couple of flame polished CNC machined parts in no time. Of course they'll be pricey, and you won't be able to sell them to all your friends, but it should be a lot quicker than the injection molded route...Or they may come up with some othe cool quick prototyping technique (like SLA to silicone molds)...

Bryan

marks914
Parts with a constant material thickness like thoes lenses can be drape formed or vacuum formed very quickly and inexpensively.

Give it a try,

PS my SEMA car shipped yesterday! YAY!
alpha434
There isn't a comparison with die molding. Flame polishing leaves imperfections And drape forming/ vacuum molding still needs a die.

Here's my idea. You need something quick, that will look good. Take the lense and bead blast the whole face of it, so that it will be a nice, even "snowy clear." It won't be quite as cool as the clear clear, but when the lights are on, the things will glow like the sun.
richardL
Felix is making progress. Here are some pictures from this morning

Click to view attachment
richardL
Last, thats the spoiler between the rear lights above

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

nomore9one4
All that work and no cupholder! w00t.gif Looking awesome.I can't wait to see it completed. clap56.gif
KELTY360
Simply breathtaking.....gasp....air, I need air!
Eric_Shea
Screw the car... is that a front targa top seal? ohmy.gif

(Looking good Felix)
Loser_Cruiser
i kinda like the look of the projectors with out a lens covering it at all. good work. cant wait to see it finished. clap56.gif
Andyrew
Lookin better than I thought!!!!

ya baby!!
snflupigus
so when will those body molds be for sale smile.gif
neo914-6
neo loaded, I'm OUTAHERE!!!!

Click to view attachment

Anyone with my cell# is free to call in the early AM to keep me up... biggrin.gif
VegasRacer
Happy Motoring Felix. driving.gif
I'll call you at 3 AM when I get off from work.

I can't wait to see the Neo914-6. boldblue.gif
StratPlayer
John take plenty of pics.... beer.gif
neo914-6
So the threads won't get lost:

Friday before the transport to SEMA

RichardL picks up parts

VegasRacer's SEMA pictorial including neo914

VegasRacer's 914 club dinner meet

Rob's SEMA meeting thread

Pics at Yeaman Auto Body

Automated spoiler

Ed's Suby roadtrip to SEMA

Another Ed's excellent adventure in his Suby 914

I'll update my sub-threads now that I have a little more time, that is after I spend more of with family. It's nice to be able to sleep again. laugh.gif More SEMA pics to follow once I get them developed and converted to digital. Thanks for the nice comments!
neo914-6
Besides showing a car in SEMA, there were a few "firsts" for me:

Driving all night with little sleep (avg 5 hrs for 3 months) blink.gif
Driving a full size truck and trailer 1100 miles RT driving.gif

Having the car semi-presentable was the first major milestone. The next will be getting it running and then completing the rest of the 1000 details...

Click to view attachment

this was in Henderson, Boxster cover fits good!! biggrin.gif
Click to view attachment

this was on the way back...
Click to view attachment
neo914-6
A plug for Le's Auto Glass 408-202-5634 who installed the windshield and the rear window at my house. Not PPG but a very nice quality and great price. They installed it 4 hours before I left for Las Vegas.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.