Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The neo914-6 Concept
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
neo914-6
thought I'd post John's pics he took at SEMA (he's an excellent photographer)
BIGKAT_83
Felix found your car on a Hot rod website, with 600 hundred pictures of the sema show.
Check it out.

http://www.ls1tech.com/SEMA_06/pages/IMG_3170.htm

Bob
neo914-6
QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ Nov 12 2006, 09:48 AM) *

Felix found your car on a Hot rod website, with 600 hundred pictures of the sema show.
Check it out.

http://www.ls1tech.com/SEMA_06/pages/IMG_3170.htm

Bob

Thanks, I wonder if they'll make it on some foreign sites... rolleyes.gif
neo914-6
pics and comments on these sites: biggrin.gif

neo914 on vwvortex

Honda-Tech, thanks turboman

The Unofficial BMW M5 Messageboard "bichin 914 with all the modern tricks"

Jancecustoms.com sema_2006

Nasioc.com SEMA THREAD!!! Pics Galore...3-Days of sensory overload

dieselstation.com "Some cool SEMA stuff..., Neo 914, Citroen DS"
nice comments:
considering that 914 appears to have been done by an individual with finite funding not a company, i am VERY impressed.
I especially like the engine choice - i have a soft spot for the 2.7T.

I think that spoiler on the 914 flips down when not needed, that rules!

Something at SEMA that doesn't suck, I must be dreaming.

i need to reiterate: that 914-6 is the shit.

forums.thecarlounge.net

What's the story on this neo-914? Is this for real, is it a new car?

I don't know, but that is FRIGGIN AWESOME!!!

That 914 with the 2.7TT motor is amazing craftsmanship.

that 914 is so badass. I cant read the price, or is it not there. Anywho its just sick!

pitstop.com

my thread on Pelican

SEMA Gallery 1

SEMA Gallery 2

SEMA Gallery 3

pics on CarDomain.com

neo on a Russian? site, found 5/09
GTeener
QUOTE(neo914-6 @ Nov 16 2006, 05:23 PM) *

Liked this quote:

considering that 914 appears to have been done by an individual with finite funding not a company, i am VERY impressed.

Great press Felix! thumb3d.gif

Can't wait to see her when she's really finished wink.gif
neo914-6
QUOTE(GTeener @ Nov 16 2006, 05:34 PM) *

Liked this quote:

Great press Felix! thumb3d.gif

Can't wait to see her when she's really finished wink.gif

I particularly liked the dieselstation comments, hey when are 914's ever finished? biggrin.gif
neo914-6
I've had a little break and now have a new goal/deadline. Get the car driveable for SJ Auto Show by Jan 10th.

-I compared Darren's Boxster clutch parts to the Audi 2.7, the differences are: engine pulse toner wheel mount, fore and aft dimensions, design variation. The common things are: starter ring dia and teeth, 9.5" dia clutch, clutch slave, pilot bearing, and release bearing

-Find 964 clutch pedal assembly or buy an aftermarket Tilton

-Swap CV's and mount the unequal length axles

-Install Audi wiring harnesses, ECU, Battery, air box

-Mount the formed water tubes, fit hoses to the radiators and fill tank

-Mount the Hella HID ballasts and wire harness

-wire the LED tail, mirror signal, and front signal lights

-finalize a shifter cover, design and frame the center instrumentation

-Bend Lexan side windows and mount up so people can't reach in the car

-Mount the Borla mufflers

Opps, forgot some:

-Mount e-throttle

-verify existing e-fuel pump pressure and flow

-Find remote ignition switch and start button

-install seals
turbo914v8
QUOTE(neo914-6 @ Nov 23 2006, 12:32 AM) *

I've had a little break and now have a new goal/deadline. Get the car driveable for SJ Auto Show by Jan 10th.

-I compared Darren's Boxster clutch parts to the Audi 2.7, the differences are: engine pulse toner wheel mount, fore and aft dimensions, design variation. The common things are: starter ring dia and teeth, 9.5" dia clutch, clutch slave, pilot bearing, and release bearing

-Swap CV's and mount the axles

Oh I think you forget something on your list.....

Sell the car to me. biggrin.gif

Great work, I cant wait to see it finished.
John Kelly
Hi Felix,

You probably already know this but Lexan makes a product with a scratch resistant surface on one side. I think it is called mar gaurd. I used it for my chopped Ghia roadster windshield. It held up nicely. If I could afford a project manager, you would be my first choice. I'm so impressed with your drive! I am finally focusing on huge job of editing some of the footage from the flare work. I will send you a copy when it is done. Hard to believe it is the same car...

John www.ghiaspecialties.com
Casper
John,

Did you do the flare work on this car? I would like to purchase the video of that work when you have it complete.

Thanks,

Tom Cooper
neo914-6
QUOTE(turbo914v8 @ Nov 23 2006, 04:29 AM) *

QUOTE(neo914-6 @ Nov 23 2006, 12:32 AM) *

-Swap CV's and mount the axles

Oh I think you forget something on your list.....

Sell the car to me. biggrin.gif

Great work, I cant wait to see it finished.

Paul,

I'm "afraid" to add up the costs and my time... blink.gif laugh.gif
neo914-6
QUOTE(John Kelly @ Nov 23 2006, 06:50 AM) *

Hi Felix,

You probably already know this but Lexan makes a product with a scratch resistant surface on one side. I think it is called mar gaurd. I used it for my chopped Ghia roadster windshield. It held up nicely. If I could afford a project manager, you would be my first choice. I'm so impressed with your drive! I am finally focusing on huge job of editing some of the footage from the flare work. I will send you a copy when it is done. Hard to believe it is the same car...

John,

TAP also has a one or two sided scratch resistant plexiglass but am told they loose that quality when heated. Really tough, resists rubbing from a Scotchpad. Did you bend your windshield? I was hoping to cold bend the Lexan but may need to build a heat box and wood jig.

Feel free to post any of the pics on your websites, John (Vegasracer) has high res if you need them. I'll try to get digital video for the SJ Auto show.

John Kelly
Hi Tom,

Felix was kind enough to trust me to do the rear flares to the point of bare metal, unwelded, and still needing cosmetic work, Mark DeBernardi did the fronts using some of my techniques, and I'm sure, plenty of his own. If you email me directly, I will let you know when the video is done: ghiafab@coastaccess.com It will contain both methods. Sorry for the hihjack Felix.

Quick edit:

Hi Felix the Ghia windshield held its curve by itself...put the rubber on and installed it...that was it. It goes back to flat when removed.

neo914-6
QUOTE(John Kelly @ Nov 23 2006, 10:40 AM) *

Sorry for the hihjack Felix.

No highjack, I support people who contributed to this project and the metal craft that you teach. smile.gif
mrhurtalot
if the car reaaaaaaaly wants to be modern.

make it get 4 miles to the gallon and go ahead and shove about100 computer controlled everythings in there.

lamo

just kididn man looks amazing.
neo914-6
QUOTE(mrhurtalot @ Nov 26 2006, 11:06 AM) *

if the car reaaaaaaaly wants to be modern.

make it get 4 miles to the gallon and go ahead and shove about100 computer controlled everythings in there.

lamo

just kididn man looks amazing.

lamo or lmao? biggrin.gif

Even my V8 914 get's better mileage than 4MPG! Modern fuel management yields great MPG and I do plan to use as much of the Audi S4 intruments and diagnostics if I can sort out the wiring, LOL.
Click to view attachment
mrhurtalot
hooray! im glad!

i think my explorer has less wires than that.

hmm how about a 914x4

Andyrew
Felix.. you going to incorperate a gps into it?

I bought one at staples for 150 durring black friday... its so accurate... right out of the box!! Also it shows gas stations, and country roads, (took 88 to carson city... accurate to about 20 feet.) displays MPH, altitude, position, N S E W, ect..

I think it would be a great addition to the NEO.. all 1 lb of it...
neo914-6
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Nov 26 2006, 05:21 PM) *

Felix.. you going to incorperate a gps into it?

I bought one at staples for 150 durring black friday... its so accurate... right out of the box!! Also it shows gas stations, and country roads, (took 88 to carson city... accurate to about 20 feet.) displays MPH, altitude, position, N S E W, ect..

I think it would be a great addition to the NEO.. all 1 lb of it...

Andrew,

Those are NICE! What time did you get in line? I was having coffee and bagels on black friday far away from the malls. biggrin.gif

I'm planning to incorporate a computer with all media, GPS, etc. My upholsterer has a line on them. There goes the rear trunk, LOL. laugh.gif
neo914-6
Unfortunately I made virtually no progress on my list before the show. I need to disassemble alot and remove the drivetrain after the show.

I found out I have the wrong 944 CV's thanks to Aaron as they have the wrong spline count vs. the 930 axle.

I did get a Boxster clutch pedal assembly and bench wired alot of the components...

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
neo914-6
I also mounted the ballast and lit up the HID's. Found out I need to angle them down a little...

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
McMark
WOW!!! The lights work!!! mueba.gif Things are coming together.

Stickers will go out next Monday. wink.gif
neo914-6
Mark,

I'll need the stock 914 brake pedal asm back. I'd have to punch a big hole in the tank to use the Boxster asm.

Check out what Jason found from the UK, it's 964...
Click to view attachment
McMark
Felix, I'll bring it to Mike on Saturday.
Bigbohr
Sorry to ask again, but is there any progress made on the clear lenses for the turn-signal openings?
neo914-6
QUOTE(Bigbohr @ Jan 5 2007, 09:45 AM) *

Sorry to ask again, but is there any progress made on the clear lenses for the turn-signal openings?

Last info from Tony was that his wife was hand carrying them on her flight on the 13th. I should get the first set shortly thereafter smile.gif
neo914-6
Bought some Boxster bumpers so I can remold the rear bumperette pockets. I also got bought some stock intercoolers because I can fit two rights, since the pair has different plumbing ports. Bought a BMW door latch since the stock 914 latch didn't look right.

Got the most of the seals installed, it took longer than I thought.

Bad news, my halogen light on a post fell on the rear fender flare and made a little nick. Fortunately the fender was strong enough to resist a dent... sad.gif

Got the car loaded for SJ Auto Show, this is the LAST time I want to tow it!
TonyAKAVW
Last info from Tony was that his wife was hand carrying them on her flight on the 13th. I should get the first set shortly thereafter

That's correct. I don't know how many sets she will be bringing with her, but definitely more than 1. I can't wait to see how they come out. Its been a long time in the making with these.

-Tony
nocones
Still REALLY interested in getting a set of these!
Bigbohr
[quote name='TonyAKAVW' date='Jan 10 2007, 10:05 AM' post='845944']
[quote]
That's correct. I don't know how many sets she will be bringing with her, but definitely more than 1. I can't wait to see how they come out. Its been a long time in the making with these.

-Tony
[/quote]

Cool beans. I think clear lenses will look great.
Hope they will turn out good and be for sale real soon ...
Thanks for making this happen.

neo914-6
smilie_pokal.gif Got the lenses Friday, thanks TonyAKAVW! clap56.gif

Click to view attachment
neo914-6
another

Click to view attachment
neo914-6
I'll light them up tonight, anyone have extra screws and a U clamp?

neo914-6
Finally won a targa pad and these refurbished latches from 914parts.com on eBay. biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment

TonyAKAVW
COOL!!

The defect in the middle of the lenses will be gone in the next batch. I'll get you some of those when they get here..

-Tony
Aaron Cox
tight!
Crazyhippy
Casting mark? Can it be wet sanded and polished out now?

BJH
TonyAKAVW
Apparently the die does not yet have cooling channels in it and defects like that occur. Once the die has some large holes put in it, cool water will be pumped through, and somehow that makes the lenses form better. I'm not sure why, but thats the explanation I was given.

The plastic is squeezed into the die under extremely high pressure and at high temp. A large chrome plated screw (maybe 3 feet long) pushes the molten plastc through a progrssively heated, chrome plated tube to a nozzle that injects the plastic at two points, (at the ends, at each of the screw holes). It seems that the small divot in the middle (its a divot on the inside) is where the two flows of plastic meet. Somehow cooling the die and running a bunch of lenses through it will remove that.

-Tony
GTeener
Looking nice Felix! Thanks for sharing your progress.
byndbad914
Felix - you know, I forgot to ask, but with your setup do you have both hi- and lo-beam in one light? Most of those lights I have seen require you to have an individual light (or 2 per side) to have hi and lo. Technically to be street legal requires both tho' in NorCal or any mega-opolis, you really never need hi-beams biggrin.gif
neo914-6
QUOTE(byndbad914 @ Jan 22 2007, 01:13 PM) *

Felix - you know, I forgot to ask, but with your setup do you have both hi- and lo-beam in one light? Most of those lights I have seen require you to have an individual light (or 2 per side) to have hi and lo. Technically to be street legal requires both tho' in NorCal or any mega-opolis, you really never need hi-beams biggrin.gif

Tim I may have missed it but didn't see that in the CA code

I couldn't package two in a single pod and still get the right angle

How was PRI?
byndbad914
QUOTE(neo914-6 @ Jan 22 2007, 05:20 PM) *

Tim I may have missed it but didn't see that in the CA code

I couldn't package two in a single pod and still get the right angle

How was PRI?
I think that may be some sort of federal DOT standard, but I am almost positive hi and lo is a requirement - question for my buddy that is a Long Beach police officer next time we talk biggrin.gif

I see your link where you tried two and I agree, won't fit if trying to fit a turn signal too. However, my thought was to try to make two fit and put a turn lens in the bumper area. AFAIK there isn't a strict height standard on turn signal placement, so maybe even in my front valence area (my Sheridan kit has a flat spot below the bumper/above the dam).

PRI is pretty amazing really. I had a crappy time working the booth with my buddy because there were two full grown men hanging from his nipples the whole goddamn show if you know what I mean. F'ing irritating to hear the same old questions and conversation over and over and over.... and over.... but the show itself is really amazing if you are into racing stuff. SEMA is cool from a show car and bolt-on standpoint, whereas PRI is the serious racing show. Hard to get into tho' unless you know somebody of course.

Bad side of the PRI show is I see all the stuff I "shoulda done" when building my tube car v. what I did already. That never ends tho' as there is always something cool/innovative coming out. Like your light idea thumb3d.gif When this all gets sorted and Tony has lenses for sale, I am all over it. Even with the dimple I think it looks good and is a great idea.
TonyAKAVW
I was doing some looking and found that there are a lot of people doing HID retrofits to non-HID cars. So you can get projector housings, just the bare housings on ebay for $50-$150 depending on which model. AND, they have housings made for bi-xenon bulbs so you get hi and low beams from a single projector. I'm going to start looking into this more, as it may be a cheap way to put headlights in the turn signal buckets. A set of bulbs and ballasts are going to be in the $200 range. This compares nicely with the $700 to $800 for the prepackaged Hella units that aren't bi-xenon.

Here's a website of one place that sells the projectors.

The Retrofit Source

Interestingly, the bi-xenon headlights use a small solenoid to shift either the bulb or the lens (not sure yet) from the hi-beam arc to the low-beam arc.

-Tony

byndbad914
very cool Tony! That would solve all the issues!
TonyAKAVW
I did some more reading/browsing on that HID stuff last night and it looks like unfortunately, the smallest diameter commonly available projector housing is 2.9 inches in diameter. The turn signal bucket lens is only about 2.5 inches across, so that would present a problem.

It might work out okay, but I'm looking into LED headlights. Basically stuff a whole bunch of white LEDs with individual lenses in there. There are a few issues to overcome... First, while there are nice lenses available for the LEDs I'm looking at, I'm not sure they have quite the vertical cutoff necessary. I'll be looking into this.

Second, LEDs require careful thermal management. The LEDs I'm thinking of using dissipate 3-5 watts in a pretty small area, and I will probably use 10-20 of them. So a decent heatsink will be needed.

Lastly, and maybe the most difficult is the legal issue. As far as I know right now the laws are not written to allow LEDs for headlights. The major problem is the limit on the number of filaments. While LEDs have no filaments per se, there would be the equivalent of 20-40 bulbs to comprise the pair of headlights. This exceeds a limitation on the number of bulbs on the front of a car. And unlike the HID/projector headlights, there is no vehicle currently sold with LED headlights. I'm certain though that within 5 years there will be, and the laws will need re-writing.

-Tony
degreeoff
Hands down my man, THAT is the hottest 914 ever.....
Rand
QUOTE(TonyAKAVW @ Jan 23 2007, 12:33 PM) *

...I'm looking into LED headlights.
...there is no vehicle currently sold with LED headlights. I'm certain though that within 5 years there will be, and the laws will need re-writing.

-Tony

I've been watching this too. A few manufacturers have been toying with it:
LED Headlights Find Their Way to High-End Automobiles

I figure it's just a matter of time. They are plenty bright, it just seems to be tough to get them to project. Easy to be seen by others, not so easy to light up what needs to be seen by the driver.
Bigbohr
QUOTE(TonyAKAVW @ Jan 23 2007, 12:33 PM) *

the smallest diameter commonly available projector housing is 2.9 inches in diameter. The turn signal bucket lens is only about 2.5 inches across, so that would present a problem.

You could check out Hella 50mm modules. They have a 2" lens. The module body gets wider to something like 3" but that could fit inside the fender. Expensive though.
neo914-6
I am beginning to work on neo914 again after ~5 month hiatus, thanks to a tough early half of '07

IPB Image

Mueller installed the rear Eric Shea v-caliper and his needle bearings. The arms were refinished and rebuilt by Jim (roadster fan). These were equipped with 944 hubs, stubs, 911 CV's and will replace the Rich Johnson 5-lug conversion currently on the car which were sold with my V8.

I'm employing Rich Johnson to rebuild my Koni struts, powdercoat welded A-arms donated by Mueller, install Shine needle bearings, and his Boxster calipers mounted with machined adapters. Rich will do something "special" to the calipers. rolleyes.gif

I'm contemplating getting some stock doors and windows until I can finish my single piece windows. They may be on the backburner until I get the car running.

Still buying lots of miscl parts and selling unecessary parts.

Many other things brewing as soon as I get my garage cleared and remember where I left off. screwy.gif

In my tendency to do too many things at once, I am planning on a house addition which may include a real garage! boldblue.gif
alpha434
My girlfriend says; "that's a nice Mazda"

laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.