Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
neo914-6
QUOTE(alpha434 @ Jun 23 2007, 10:12 AM) *

My girlfriend says; "that's a nice Mazda"

laugh.gif

She's a keeper! chairfall.gif
neo914-6
Update,

Finally got a digital caliper from OSH (I love it!) to measure my pile of CV's/axles.

I'm beginning to "live" at OSH again, Michael N can attest to that. biggrin.gif

Worked a little on the interior, mounted the leather sun visors, figured out which parts I need and which parts to powdercoat or plate.

Instead of a modifed 964/914 pedal cluster, I will use a 914 brake only cluster, 986 clutch, and Audi S4 e-throttle pedals.

Investigated what I'll need for the hydraulic clutch lines. I bought an OEM hard line from the gearbox slave cylinder and a tubing bender to get it to fit my car. I may need to have a flex line made near the pedal master clutch cylinder.

Worked on the rear axles fitment. The car came with Rich Johnson flanges which will be replaced with a completely modified arm setup with 911/944 CV's, and 944 hubs, see the Mueller thread.

Here are my measurements and web data, with some tolerance for measuring threaded holes. The spreadsheet is not complete but tells me the 944 CV and will bolt up to the Boxster output flanges. Sonu (914 1.8T) used pre 85's so maybe my measurements aren't accurate or they were "close enough". In fact he borrowed my axles/CV's to fit them to his Audi conversion. Previous helpful threads were: NEED AXLE INFO... 944 turbo axle and CV information needed How to convert quattro 6speed to FWD? Project 914 1.8T

CV Diameter
94 mm = 3.7" 914-4/6
100mm = 3.94" 911 to 85*, 6 bolt 911 Carrera models 84-89
100mm = 3.94" 944
100mm = 3.94" 986 (Boxster)

108mm = 4.25" 911 from 85, 930, SC?, 4 bolt 2 pin
*In 1985 Porsche changed the outer diameter of the 911 Carrera CV joint from 100mm to 108mm (same as 911 Turbo).

CV Hole pattern
77.5mm = 3" 914-4/6
85.6mm = 3.4" 944
85.6mm = 3.4 911 84-?
85.6mm = 3.4 986 (output flange)

94mm = 3.7" 911 to 85
94mm = 3.7" 986
94mm = 3.7" 930

interesting Notes on Paragon Products:
CV Joint Kit Product Code: PP911.332.030.01 $88.16
Fits 911 84-94, 911RSA, 930, 965, 993C2/4, 996C2/4, Boxster 97-04

CV Joint Kit - 25 spline
Product Code: PP951.332.901.00 $100.00
Fits 911 89-84 (964), 944S2, 944 Turbo 87-91, 968, Boxster

For 944:
Part # PP944.331.901.00 & 944.331.903.00 fit up to chassis #95HN151524
Part # PP951.332.901.00 & 951.332.903.00 fit from chassis #95HN151524

need to distinquish 911:
65-75
75-84
85-89
85-89 Turbo

CV width
31mm = 914 CV
32mm = 914-6/911
35mm = 944 CV
29mm = 986
40.19mm = 930

Spline count
33 = 914
33 = 914-6/911
33 = 944 pre 86
25 = 944 Turbo 1986 - 1991
25 = Porsche Carrera/4 1989 - 1994

25 = 986 Boxster 1997 - 2005
28 = 911 early to?
28 = 930

GKN Automotive CV Joint Kit
App: 1983-1989 Porsche 944 Base & S & Turbo
Brand: GKN Automotive
Part #: W0133-1611367
Notes: 33 Spline - Inner & Outer. 33 Spline.

GKN Automotive CV Joint Kit
App: 1987-1991 Porsche 944 S2 & Turbo
Brand: GKN Automotive
Part #: W0133-1611068
Notes: 25 Spline - Inner & Outer. 25 Spline

Pelican Parts
CV Joint Kit With Boot
App: 924S/944/944S All, 944 Turbo (1986-87)
Brand: Loebro
Part #: 944-331-901-00-M60

CV Joint Kit With Boot,
App: 944S2/968 (1989-95), 944 Turbo (1988-89, from ch# 95HN151525)
Brand: Loebro
Part #: 951-332-901-00-M60

Febi CV Joint Bolt
App: 1983-1991 Porsche 944 S2
Brand: Febi
Part #: W0133-1644056
Notes: 8x50mm - 12 Point

shaft diameter at spline
Spline shaft dia
?mm = 914
29mm = 914-6/911 early
25mm = 944
?mm = 986
29mm = 930

Axle shaft length
?mm = ?" 914
19.5" 911 '84 early
16" 944 #1
" 944 #2
~21" 986
~30" 930

neo914 shaft lengths needed (measured w/o stub axle flange)
Right 19.5"
Left 20.25"

recent info from Alan:
1/ My tranny is a 1997 - 1999 Boxster tranny (but I understand all Five speed Boxster are the same tranny
just wanted to mentioned to be safe.

2/ The C/V joints are "key" and they must be the smaller ones which attach with Six Bolts. (8mm)

3/ The C/V's it appears are the same for all the later model 1986+ Porsche 944's and are coarse splines

4/ (I mis-quoted to you earlier regarding which were the longer and shorter axles; seems I got them backward)

AXLE info
- Shorter axles (18.5") were used on 911's which used the 915 tranny
- Longer axles (20.25") were used on the Carrera or SC also using 915 tranny.

Also you can check with your Porsche shop / dismantlers and they can confirm the diameters for the C/V's should be 108 mm.

The 911 axles I have the larger 4 bolt 2 pin type CV instead of the smaller 6 bolt CV. Looks like I'll be shopping for 911 axles again...
RoninEclipse2G
Hey Neo, love the whole project, looking great. I noticed your issues with the lighting and wanting either HID or LED and i thought I might know of a site to help. The forums are chock full of useful info

http://www.hidplanet.com
neo914-6
found a potentially adaptable light kit for those interested in keeping them in the original location: Advanced Automotive Concepts
neo914-6
Looks like I will have a neo914 brother in Norway of all places. An Audi tuner there will install the 2.7T with it's 6 speed transaxle into his 914. beerchug.gif

I'm still working on the rear suspension and awaiting Rich Johnson's fine work on my front struts and Boxster brakes. I will postpone installing the front needle bearings.

I also have a bet with Jason for who can get our conversions running first. He just finished building an incredible machine shop to help his project and can refocus on his 914. I recently got layed off from my job (outsourcing is the trend) so I have a time advantage. blink.gif

Anyone know anyone who works at Tesla Motors?
ppickerell
QUOTE(neo914-6 @ Aug 22 2007, 03:08 PM) *

Looks like I will have a neo914 brother in Norway of all places. An Audi tuner there will install the 2.7T with it's 6 speed transaxle into his 914. beerchug.gif

I'm still working on the rear suspension and awaiting Rich Johnson's fine work on my front struts and Boxster brakes. I will postpone installing the front needle bearings.

I also have a bet with Jason for who can get our conversions running first. He just finished building an incredible machine shop to help his project and can refocus on his 914. I recently got layed off from my job (outsourcing is the trend) so I have a time advantage. blink.gif

Anyone know anyone who works at Tesla Motors?

Felix,
I know a bunch of the Tesla guys. I made some of the parts for the test mule.
Patrick
neo914-6
Got some parts plated and powdercoated, I am really pleased how they came out. biggrin.gif

Now I can finish rear susp. assembly and start on the front needle bearing susp.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
PeeGreen 914
Wow... that is going to be one clean little 914...er ahh... neo 914 biggrin.gif
neo914-6
Took my last list from Nov and updated it:
I compared Darren's Boxster clutch parts to the Audi 2.7, the differences are: engine pulse toner wheel mount, fore and aft dimensions, design variation. The common things are: starter ring dia and teeth, 9.5" dia clutch, clutch slave, pilot bearing, and release bearing - ordered an Audi clutch

-Find 964 clutch pedal assembly or buy an aftermarket Tilton - bought a Boxster asm and hacked it up for the clutch pedal asm.

-Swap CV's and mount the unequal length axles - have more axles than I need. Still have not found out the correct combination. I need to contact ajracer again.

-Install Audi wiring harnesses, ECU, Battery, air box - not done yet but checked a wrecked S4 to help determine where the wiring is placed and what the connectors are.

-Mount the formed water tubes, fit hoses to the radiators and fill tank - Almost done, it was/is alot of work

-Mount the Hella HID ballasts and wire harness - This was done early this year

-wire the LED tail, mirror signal, and front signal lights - not started yet

-finalize a shifter cover, design and frame the center instrumentation - just cut open the tunnel to mount the assembly. I still need to design and fab a cover

-Bend Lexan side windows and mount up so people can't reach in the car - not started yet

-Mount the Borla mufflers - not started yet

Opps, forgot some:

-Mount e-throttle - tried to disassemble one up and may have ruined it. I was going to reclock the pedal to mount it easier. Good thing I have a spare

-verify existing e-fuel pump pressure and flow - not started yet

-Find remote ignition switch and start button - not started yet

-install seals - installed most of them

Completed:
-mounted the rebuilt trailing arm asm with V-calipers
-mounted the rebuilt brake pedal asm
-mounted the rebuilt seat slider
-wired the rear view mirror
-mounted the sun visor header
-rebuilt the targa latches
-flared and mounted the cooling tubes under the car
-modified the Y pipes for the dual radiators
-mounted the Boxster radiator asm
-bought another 944 axle
-bought some 944 seat belts
-mounted the e-brake asm and cables
-made a plaster mold of the rear Boxster bumper pocket
-bought a service cover

not secured yet
Click to view attachment
Painted Por-15 before mounting
Click to view attachment
not the final pic but mostly there
Click to view attachment
flaring the tubing with an Earls tool
Click to view attachment
VaccaRabite
So you decided not to sell it?

Zach
mrdezyne
Felix, good to see the work continue and in quick fashion it looks like. The dust layer that is on my project is almost cocoon-like, at this point I'm afraid to disturb it, perhaps it will morph into a completed 914 if I just let it sit a little while longer...

If you had the chance to do it all over again concerning the headlights, would you have tried a stock location like the Miata lights or still attempted HID's in the signal pockets?

Keep up the great work, you are a super inspiration for creative minds...
neo914-6
QUOTE(mrdezyne @ Sep 28 2007, 01:53 PM) *

Felix, good to see the work continue and in quick fashion it looks like. The dust layer that is on my project is almost cocoon-like, at this point I'm afraid to disturb it, perhaps it will morph into a completed 914 if I just let it sit a little while longer...

If you had the chance to do it all over again concerning the headlights, would you have tried a stock location like the Miata lights or still attempted HID's in the signal pockets?

Keep up the great work, you are a super inspiration for creative minds...

Thanks. I'm sure there are iterations like yours that can build on my successes and failures...

The guys in Norway now have two project 914 Audis but have their own challenges.

Yes, I like that the pods have more purpose than turn indication.
neo914-6
This eBay brakeline kit was less than $40, seems to work well. I only needed the rear lines on the trailing arm but can now replace all the lines later.
neo914-6
Hacked up a Boxster pedal assembly. It's interesting how much of it is not manufactured for dissassembly. The pivot was welded in so I had to use the closest diameter bolt and ream out the plastic bushings. It will be close to make it fit in the car where the gas tank is the obstacle, otherwise I'll return to the combo 914/964 pedal assembly with the 986 clutch cyl.
neo914-6
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Sep 28 2007, 06:02 AM) *

So you decided not to sell it?

Zach

Never crossed my mind, I'd probably get $.10 on the dollar laugh.gif
neo914-6
Also, I've promised it to my wife for her graciousness, understanding, and extreme patience, in putting her through this project.

neo914-6
Yayyyyy, piratenanner.gif

The Wife cheer.gif
turboman808
Didn't you make turbsignals with HIDs in them? If you switching to the other lights I will be happy to take the HIDS off your hands.
neo914-6
QUOTE(neo914-6 @ Oct 5 2007, 05:36 PM) *

Yayyyyy, piratenanner.gif

The Wife cheer.gif

note to myself: log off computer when not present... laugh.gif
Rand
laugh.gif
Andyrew
Good to see you still working hard on it felix!!

Tell the wife hi! lol

neo914-6
Big thanks smilie_pokal.gif clap56.gif for FREE parts from:

Bruce (GWN7) for custom headlight delete front hood seal
Eric Shea for custom V-caliper pad spring brkts
Kevin (rhodyguy) for stock t-bars
Stu (sled9146) for ebrake pins and screws
Fiid for offering use of his balljoint tool
Mueller for lots of support and miscl parts

not to mention:
Jed at Silverstar Recycling for a "Jason" discount on Boxster shifter cables and clutch lines
neo914-6
modified aluminum Boxster Y pipes:
Click to view attachment

welded both large diameter flared end and repositioned smaller ends:
Click to view attachment

final configuration painted:
Click to view attachment
neo914-6
shortened and reinforced Boxster clutch pedal (stock rubber pad fits too):

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
neo914-6
Rich Johnson rebuilt Koni struts and Boxster calipers refinished biggrin.gif smilie_pokal.gif
pics before Rich shipped them:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Brake upgrade info
iamchappy
popcorn[1].gif
neo914-6
Bad news, one of the struts was damaged in transit (FedEx Ground). It appears the caliper is gouged and after he recieves it, Rich will need to file a claim, possibly find another caliper, repaint it, etc. which will take more time... sad.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
neo914-6
New Externally Adjustable Koni inserts arrived, this front suspension is pricey! Not sure if I want to fill them with coolant...

Click to view attachment
Wes V
"fill them with coolant"???

Wes
neo914-6
QUOTE(Wes V @ Oct 30 2007, 03:50 PM) *

"fill them with coolant"???

Wes

Oil or Coolant, that is the question or nothing at all...
Wes V
Doh!

After reading that write-up I know what you are talking about. It's the fluid that transfers heat from the cartridge to the outer metal body of the strut.

In the article, he comments on Koni making a recommendation.

That being the case, you should follow EVERY recommendation of Koni in order make sure the warranty stays in effect.

Wes
neo914-6
I spoke to Paragon Products and they concur with Rich that I don't need to fill the struts with coolant unless I was racing the car. Thanks to Mark (914Sixer) for the strut dust covers and to Rich for powdercoating them! biggrin.gif

Finally finished Por-15 coating the inner fenders because the bare metal had minor surface rust. What a dirty job, my pants and shirt were leopard spotted but fortunately I didn't get any on my face and it's a good thing my hair is black. laugh.gif The pictures don't fully show McMark's superb seam welding of John Kelly's rear fenders and the front fenders that McMark hammer formed. clap56.gif

Click to view attachment

Right strut mounted, I should be getting the left side soon so I can roll the car again. FYI, I was working with Rich to get custom "neo914" decals for the calipers but his supplier was unable or unwilling to make them.

Click to view attachment

I finally found 911 axles that will work but may need to shorten the left side unless I find ajracer's spec axles. I must first determine the correct toe of the trailing arms as it dictates their length. Does anyone know how much CV joints should be able to move in and out (if any) the length of the axle?

front susp rebuilding steps
PeeGreen 914
How do cool threads like this get burried so far away? We need updates biggrin.gif
neo914-6
Lack of updates = no progress and many excuses. sad.gif Cold wet weather, no garage, new job search, lack of extra cash, family priorities, and a new Mercedes project to replace my beloved wreck, are the primary reasons. The weather, motivation, and a "green" job possibility are improving and so will progress... biggrin.gif
neo914-6
Knut tells me he is legally unable to proceed with the Audi 2.7tt conversion in Norway and will instead go 3.6L Porsche and Wevo 915. This means I will still be the only one with this conversion unless Sonu finds time from his son and business deals...

I am making progress on the suspension: Strut to a-arm to ball joint pin not fitting, did I get the wrong pin or will a bigger hammer work?

and e-brake Rear brake cable attachment pictorial, because I could not find one...

next is engine removal to sort out the clutch, install the Foley ss fuel lines, and Audi wiring..
SGB
"Doctor Felixstien, I presume?"

Alright! Good to see this back.
neo914-6
QUOTE(SGB @ Jul 24 2008, 06:56 AM) *

"Doctor Felixstien, I presume?"

Alright! Good to see this back.

More like Dr. Felivingston I presume? IPB Image

much better...

Click to view attachment
Wes V
Felix;

What is the current status on getting the car running?

Is Sonu the individual that had a 1.8t (running for a couple weeks) that has decided to convert to the 2.7t?

Wes
neo914-6
QUOTE(Wes V @ Jul 28 2008, 07:23 AM) *

Felix;

What is the current status on getting the car running?

Is Sonu the individual that had a 1.8t (running for a couple weeks) that has decided to convert to the 2.7t?

Wes

Wes,

Most of my to do list is still unfinished due to ...many things. My strategy is not "just running" as I want to properly mount all the components. The wiring is the most daunting as I want to retain the stock Audi instrumentation. I either identify and strip out the wiring that I don't need or try to route the full harness into the car, likely through the heater duct. Modifying wiring may affect other parts from operating which by the way is not one of my strengths. I also need to remove the drivetrain and then refurbish the engine compartment which will be a lengthy and dirty task. Currently I'm taking it step by step. I do have a shared goal and competition (for a cheap bottle of wine) with another conversion pioneer (Boxster) to have our cars done by next year's WCC. Admittedly we "commited" last year so maybe we need to up the ante. rolleyes.gif

I see Sonu occasionally (with Mueller) and he has little progress since he picked up the 2.7t drivetrain and my parts 2.7t to build a 400hp+ version. He was also tube framing it with a-arm suspension.

Thanks for your patient interest...
rufio0205
QUOTE(neo914-6 @ Jul 16 2007, 01:27 AM) *

found a potentially adaptable light kit for those interested in keeping them in the original location: Advanced Automotive Concepts

Has anyone tried this headlight conversion kit?
If you have...what did it take time wise? and how much modification to the car or headlight bucket area or new headlight conversion parts took place?
Pictures?
I cant stand the pop ups....
ps. sorry to hijack
neo914-6
QUOTE(rufio0205 @ Jul 29 2008, 07:28 AM) *

If you have...what did it take time wise? and how much modification to the car or headlight bucket area or new headlight conversion parts took place?
Pictures?
ps. sorry to hijack

I do have a headlight thread but have posted options here as well. Nice to know someone is creating a fixed light option for the Miata. You should ask them to adapt a kit for the 914 buckets...
neo914-6
Hope I got it right:

911 struts, GPR Poly bushing kit, plated hardware, Koni adjustable inserts:

Click to view attachment

metal dust cover (thanks to 914sixer Mark)

Click to view attachment

top nut and top support washer, not much thread left:

Click to view attachment

this would not fit on top of the dust cover so I left it out:

Click to view attachment
Andyrew
Felix hows it going? Glad to see you still at work on the Neo! My v8 has taken a back door to my A4... its now sporting a APR Stage 3 kit w/ a FMIC and a bunch of other gizmo's... I should be at 330-350 w/ water injection on my race file.. and about 300hp on pump.. I've been autoxing it and kicking my dads butt smile.gif! New Gtech shows me doing 1.04 sustained G's on a skidpad with Bridgestone RE01-R's.

What all is left on the Neo? Is the engine in a running state or what is needed for that?

:wavy:
neo914-6
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Aug 5 2008, 12:20 AM) *

Felix hows it going? Glad to see you still at work on the Neo! My v8 has taken a back door to my A4... its now sporting a APR Stage 3 kit w/ a FMIC and a bunch of other gizmo's... I should be at 330-350 w/ water injection on my race file.. and about 300hp on pump.. I've been autoxing it and kicking my dads butt smile.gif! New Gtech shows me doing 1.04 sustained G's on a skidpad with Bridgestone RE01-R's.

What all is left on the Neo? Is the engine in a running state or what is needed for that?

:wavy:

jeeez, I splained the sitiation to Wes on the previous page! confused24.gif

yeah, one of my lack of progress excuses is my other ride, Mercedes Coupe. I finally installed the Recaro C's and transferred parts from my RENNTech wreck. Darn things still has a starting issue I can't figure out... screwy.gif
rufio0205
QUOTE(neo914-6 @ Jul 29 2008, 02:22 PM) *

Pictures?
ps. sorry to hijack

I do have a headlight thread but have posted options here as well. Nice to know someone is creating a fixed light option for the Miata. You should ask them to adapt a kit for the 914 buckets...

apparently. after doing some research....I have found out that in in the state of florida...where i live... it is illegal to convert a car from popups to stand alone stationary lights...and vise a versa...
I can't do a headlight conversion...unless i just hope that no cop ever knows what my car is and cant tell stock from modified.. haha

just a heads up on that.
Wes V
QUOTE(neo914-6 @ Aug 5 2008, 02:59 AM) *

jeeez, I splained the sitiation to Wes on the previous page!

Felix;

We are not trying to rag on you about not working fast enough on the project!

I've looked at just about every string that you have written on the car (very good reading), but it's always seemed aggravating that there isn't one place where us interested guys can get a feel how the project as a whole is coming along.

(I'm interested due to wanting to also use an Audi 2.7t in my 914)

Maybe a good answer (to get us off your back) would be to add a "status" comment in your blog.

Wes
neo914-6
QUOTE(Wes V @ Aug 5 2008, 09:36 AM) *

QUOTE(neo914-6 @ Aug 5 2008, 02:59 AM) *

jeeez, I splained the sitiation to Wes on the previous page!

Felix;

We are not trying to rag on you about not working fast enough on the project!

I've looked at just about every string that you have written on the car (very good reading), but it's always seemed aggravating that there isn't one place where us interested guys can get a feel how the project as a whole is coming along.

(I'm interested due to wanting to also use an Audi 2.7t in my 914)

Maybe a good answer (to get us off your back) would be to add a "status" comment in your blog.

Wes

Was this not detailed enough? confused24.gif
update
I'm working on a more detailed list but it's taking...........time! rolleyes.gif

I thought you were planning a 2.8 NA. I would not recommend the 2.7tt, it fits my theme but few others... wink.gif

neo914-6
QUOTE(rufio0205 @ Aug 5 2008, 06:17 AM) *

QUOTE(neo914-6 @ Jul 29 2008, 02:22 PM) *

Pictures?
ps. sorry to hijack

apparently. after doing some research....I have found out that in in the state of florida...where i live... it is illegal to convert a car from popups to stand alone stationary lights...and vise a versa...
I can't do a headlight conversion...unless i just hope that no cop ever knows what my car is and cant tell stock from modified.. haha

just a heads up on that.

I'll look out for those Florida police! I researched CA vehicle code in the headlight thread and couldn't find anything illegal. Maybe I didn't look close enough... rolleyes.gif
kerensky
QUOTE(neo914-6 @ Aug 6 2008, 06:50 PM) *
I'll look out for those Florida police! I researched CA vehicle code in the headlight thread and couldn't find anything illegal. Maybe I didn't look close enough... rolleyes.gif
Actually, it's probably not legal in any state. The law has a minimum height requirement for headlights, and IIRC one reason the 914 was designed with pop-ups was to lift the headlights up into a legal height range. Can't be sure without measuring, or at least going to research some figures, but I'd wager that the conversion lights would be mounted too low to be legal.

Of course, in some places you may not get hassled much. It's kind alike smoked taillights - those are illegal in most states, but there are places where you'll never get a second glance over 'em. Then go to a different town and cops will pull a 180 and chase you down to ticket you for them.
Joe Bob
Mark that minimum AND MAXIMUM heights.....that's to keep the monster trucks from burning out your retinas. driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.