Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The neo914-6 Concept
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
watsonrx13
QUOTE(mikez @ Aug 7 2008, 10:21 AM) *

Mark that minimum AND MAXIMUM heights.....that's to keep the monster trucks from burning out your retinas. driving.gif

That's not a law here if FL, if you've got a 4x4, it's got to be big....

Besides, when I drive, the big boy's light go right over my top.... biggrin.gif

-- rob
neo914-6
QUOTE(kerensky @ Aug 7 2008, 08:03 AM) *

QUOTE(neo914-6 @ Aug 6 2008, 06:50 PM) *
I'll look out for those Florida police! I researched CA vehicle code in the headlight thread and couldn't find anything illegal. Maybe I didn't look close enough... rolleyes.gif
Actually, it's probably not legal in any state. The law has a minimum height requirement for headlights, and IIRC one reason the 914 was designed with pop-ups was to lift the headlights up into a legal height range. Can't be sure without measuring, or at least going to research some figures, but I'd wager that the conversion lights would be mounted too low to be legal.

Of course, in some places you may not get hassled much. It's kind alike smoked taillights - those are illegal in most states, but there are places where you'll never get a second glance over 'em. Then go to a different town and cops will pull a 180 and chase you down to ticket you for them.

Chad,

Thanks for the concern. As stated in my headlight thread, mine ARE within the min/max height and should satisfy the light intensity requirement. The only areas I lack is having the ability for high and low beams and the pre-production covers having 0 distortion. I doubt an officer would take the time to question their legality because they "look" factory. It is a risk (low in my assessment) and anyone considering this should be willing to accept any consequences.

A friend, Chris Julian had his headlights in the AIR bumper/airdam (obviously too low) that attracted alot of attention but was never questioned about them.
Click to view attachment
SirAndy
QUOTE(neo914-6 @ Aug 4 2008, 03:06 AM) *

You can safely cut off one section on the rubber stops to give you a bit more shock travel ...
bye1.gif Andy
rufio0205
i dont see why they would have a problem with replacing them if they become more efficient. the guy who told me it was illegal to have fixed lights soon there after told me to buy a pair of European H4 lights and just replace the bulbs. hahaha
the european ones don't fall into the requirements of the law...hahahha.

i'd rather do the headlight conversion than a bulb replacement. pop up is ugo. imho

that and they aren't aerodynamic friendly.
neo914-6
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 7 2008, 02:25 PM) *

QUOTE(neo914-6 @ Aug 4 2008, 03:06 AM) *

You can safely cut off one section on the rubber stops to give you a bit more shock travel ...
bye1.gif Andy

Thanks Andy, didn't think of that! It was a bit of a pain pulling up the short shaft through the bushing halves.

Glad you could represent the "world" at the shoot out. I almost rode with Mueller. We laughed because there are 0 pictures of him like he's been excommunicated. laugh.gif
microsa
Anything further since Aug 2008? Just today found this build thread and am absolutely flabbergasted!!!
neo914-6
QUOTE(microsa @ Jan 25 2009, 11:17 AM) *

Anything further since Aug 2008? Just today found this build thread and am absolutely flabbergasted!!!

Hey thanks for visiting, I hope "flabbergasted" is a good thing rolleyes.gif

Sorry for the lack of progress. The underlying purpose of this project was to demonstrate skills that I would allow me to return to the automotive industry. My goal, Tesla Motors never panned out and there are so few other automotive opportunities in the SF Bay Area.

I've been focused on finding a more creative design job but now I just need to find a job so I can fund the completion of this project or sell it altogether. In retrospect I could use the nearly $50k I spent so far but this project was (is) a blast... w00t.gif
marks914
Felix,
We had a big shot director go over to Tesla last summer, and he is unemployed now. He took a pretty big risk and left a geally good job to go over there. I think the Tesla guys are figuring out its harder to build a car than they thought.
Another avenue for you could be some "freelance contract". we have a few people who are contract, they are their own contract house, they make more, the comapny pays less and everyone is happy

Mark
SilverBullet
Man I haven't looked at this thread in YEARS! So awesome!!!!!! I need to visit soon.
germanv82000
I too stumbled onto Neo's page today long after the daily looks. Still and will continue to be a trendsetter. Got much inspiration over the years, thanks Felix. Scott P.
HUBBSTER
I'm just getting back into 914s and found your car on Cardomain

Thats an amazing amount of work, I'm sure it must have cost you at least $1000 biggrin.gif

I'm thinking more of an LS3 conversion but modernizing it with new AC, Nav,

I'd like to redo the interior w lots more carbon fiber

Do you have any more photos of your finished interior ?

What are those door panels from and how much modifying was involved ?

Thanks
DAMMNN
the Lexus Flagship Hybrid, their top of the line Ls 600 IS equiped with L.E.D. HEADLIGHTS!!!! I believe they are now coming on in the newer Mercedes and Supercars as well. L.E.D.'s ARE being used as headlights! Check it out...
John1180
Hey Neo, any updates on your car? I'd be interested in your headlight setup, did you ever do any more development on it? Any more of your lenses available? John
dfelz
Just read through the thread, this is definitely one of the coolest 914s i have ever seen, please tell me it is still around!! Would love to seem some more pictures, great work Felix!!!
ruby914
Felix? poke.gif come back to the garage driving.gif time to check the oil. icon_bump.gif
Mike Bellis
Why did I never read this thread before?

I feel like I reinvented the wheel... dry.gif

Did this car ever get running? confused24.gif
McMark
Made it to SEMA, but never moved under its own power AFAIK.
Andyrew
Felix hasn't touched it much. Electrical isn't his forte and I think that's where he's stopped on the car.

Mike Bellis
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Nov 22 2013, 09:29 PM) *

Felix hasn't touched it much. Electrical isn't his forte and I think that's where he's stopped on the car.

I could have it running very quickly... evilgrin.gif
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(McMark @ Nov 22 2013, 09:13 PM) *

Made it to SEMA, but never moved under its own power AFAIK.

Felix's 914 was a big hit at SEMA that year, we were honored to have a space reserved for the car , sponsored by us (MSDS, inc.). You rarely see a 914 at a SEMA show.
Maybe if he gets his running for the 2014 show he can park it next to our showpiece.
Marty
DiverX
The Neo 914 is part of my inspiration - going with the Aero 994 kit from Better Bodies but will be redone in metal vs fiberglass plus adding some other touches like 996 intake vents in front of the rear fenders.

The Neo 914 is unique and mine will be unique too - just wish I didn't have to wait so long for it - a lot of work left to do.
mikesmith

That's kinda sad; electrical is the easy part. All that metalwork, fab, paint, finishing and project management ... those are hard.

Someone needs to pick it up and finish it. Hopefully now that Tesla are on the up again, Felix has another chance at his dream as well.
Chris H.
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Nov 22 2013, 11:59 PM) *

I could have it running very quickly... evilgrin.gif

I dunno Mike, do you have any experience with electrical wiring or Audi conversions? What we need here is an electrician with an Audi conversion car, preferably one with some recent provenance (awards, etc). piratenanner.gif laugh.gif

Man you guys have to meet!
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Nov 24 2013, 01:02 PM) *

I dunno Mike, do you have any experience with electrical wiring or Audi conversions? What we need here is an electrician with an Audi conversion car, preferably one with some recent provenance (awards, etc). piratenanner.gif laugh.gif

I just "pinged" Felix on Linkedin. See if he will update us all...
Mueller
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Nov 24 2013, 01:59 PM) *

QUOTE(Chris H. @ Nov 24 2013, 01:02 PM) *

I just "pinged" Felix on Linkedin. See if he will update us all...

Ever hear back from Felix?

It's been a few years since I heard from him, I know he applied for a position at my place of employment yet talked to him only once after his interview and nothing else.

I too would love to see this car up and driving around....
csdilligaf
I sure would like to see how things have gone on this build since the Sema Show. I made the choice to start a build with the 2.7TT and Cayman S 6 speed and now looking for insight as to what all it took to finish it off. I want to go this route in particular because the engine and trans bolt together without an adapter, Keep it German and the power should be ideal. I am in the process of reading the entire thread but just the first browsing over it I did not see what was used for the Flywheel/Clutch package. Would it be part Porsche/part Audi?
csdilligaf
Well I went and got a 2.7T. I had planned on using the 2014 Cadillac 3.6L V6 with 340 HP I already have but after seeing this thread and another of a Boxster with an Audi 2.7TT I just have to keep the German theme. I called 304 Motorsports and looks like they have everything that I could possibly need which is better than the parts and tuning I could find for the Caddy V6. I just wish I knew what Felix meant in his one post about not recommending the 2.7T to another forum member. Maybe I'll find out on my own?
Mueller
QUOTE(csdilligaf @ May 26 2016, 05:22 PM) *

Well I went and got a 2.7T. I had planned on using the 2014 Cadillac 3.6L V6 with 340 HP I already have but after seeing this thread and another of a Boxster with an Audi 2.67T I just have to keep the German theme. I called 304 Motorsports and looks like they have everything that I could possibly need which is better than the parts and tuning I could find for the Caddy V6. I just wish I knew what Felix meant in his one post about not recommending the 2.7T to another forum member. Maybe I'll find out on my own?

Felix still updates his Facebook page, I just got a message saying he changed or updated a picture, no idea if he still has his car or not. I need to reach out to him.

Andyrew
He still has it. I spoke to him a couple months ago. He is thinking of getting back on it sometime but he has been focused on his job and family.
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(Andyrew @ May 26 2016, 06:37 PM) *

He still has it. I spoke to him a couple months ago. He is thinking of getting back on it sometime but he has been focused on his job and family.

Does he need a 914 intervention? That car needs to see the light of day.
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(csdilligaf @ May 24 2016, 01:11 PM) *

I sure would like to see how things have gone on this build since the Sema Show. I made the choice to start a build with the 2.7TT and Cayman S 6 speed and now looking for insight as to what all it took to finish it off. I want to go this route in particular because the engine and trans bolt together without an adapter, Keep it German and the power should be ideal. I am in the process of reading the entire thread but just the first browsing over it I did not see what was used for the Flywheel/Clutch package. Would it be part Porsche/part Audi?

I know that my 1.8T clutch and flywheel fit my 6 speed and 5 speed. I would assume the 2.7 is similar. A 2.7 would be fun but I've found that my 1.8 has more power then my tires can hold. I think if I went 2.7 I would need twin turbos. Or upgrade to a 4.2 with twin turbos... evilgrin.gif
Andyrew
The 2.7's are making great power and boost response on single turbo's. Your also able to keep the boost levels much lower with a single and still make great power.

That being said its a solid 150lbs heavier than the 4 cylinder 1.8.

I am sure Felix used the stock clutch/flywheel as nothing special is required. The Porsche trani will work just fine.

I am running the S4 clutch/PP combo with a supposedly HD package but we will see. You have to run a custom flywheel to make it work on the 1.8t the RA4 flywheel made by ECS tuning.
csdilligaf
So the clutch disk has the same spline as a Boxster S G87.2XX main shaft? The other thing I was wondering is if the shaft is the right length and diameter to mate nicely with the pilot bearing in the flywheel.
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(csdilligaf @ May 28 2016, 11:44 AM) *

So the clutch disk has the same spline as a Boxster S G87.2XX main shaft? The other thing I was wondering is if the shaft is the right length and diameter to mate nicely with the pilot bearing in the flywheel.

Yes they work perfect. The Boxster has a larger diameter clutch but the shaft is identical. Audi manufactured the first generation Boxster 5 speed. I think the 6 speed was originally borrowed from Audi as well/ My Boxster S 6 speed is made by Getrag.

I'm running a LUK clutch with a lightened flywheel for a 1.8T. At 325hp it grips just fine. No issues. I previously ran a SPEC stage 4 clutch which also worked fine but it way pricey compared to the LUK.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.