Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 3D914s 914-6 SHO 3.2L v6
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
3d914
Had a decently warm day today so was able to get the wiring & under-dash relay panel pulled, along with the gauges, steering column, lower dash, etc.
All that's left is the dash top and the dash facia. I'd like to get this painted body color and just leave it metal, but I'll have to see how things will fit.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
3d914
Was able to get the upper dash off today. Just required locating the 9x10mm nuts holding it on. The two visible from the gauge area are the hardest & require a open-ended wrench. The rest can be done with a small 10mm socket wrench. I could get to everything form the doorways and didn't need to get upside-down!

Click to view attachment

Now it's down to the inner dash. Aside from the two screws on each end, there are four 10mm nuts in the front trunk and one under the dash in the center. However, I'm not sure there is enough clearance to get it out with the windshield still in. Gonna have to search or post about that.

Click to view attachment

The dash face has a thin metal cover (off in this pic) that the plastic material is attached to. The material is going and I don't intend to replace it. The metal cover may be needed to make things fit properly. You can see the raised areas where switches go. With the thin metal cover this all looks smooth & flush.

Chris914n6
Dash will come out no problem. The dry rubber seal between it and the windshield will be destroyed.
3d914
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Jan 31 2016, 04:09 PM) *

Dash will come out no problem. The dry rubber seal between it and the windshield will be destroyed.

Gotcha, thanks.
rick 918-S
Been watching this one for years. Nice progress.
3d914
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jan 31 2016, 09:50 PM) *

Been watching this one for years. Nice progress.

Thanks, Rick.
3d914
Got some time on the project this last weekend, but mostly mocking up pieces for closing off the trunk firewall that was cutout for the SHO intake and TB.

Did get to spend some time with our A-10 crew chief building a shelf unit she wanted for her bedroom. Nice having someone with an interest in this kind of work.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

3d914
Doing mostly maintenance stuff on other cars this weekend. Should get some time Sunday to cut metal for the 914-SHO project.

Got some time to finish mobilizing my work bench. Now I can get it out, use it, and put it away with ease. The wheels are mounted to some scrap pieces and hinged to the base of the bench. When in storage, the wheels are down so I can roll it around. When in use, they are swung out so the bench sits on its wide base - that way it doesn't move when I'm pounding on things.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
3d914
Took some time this weekend to try and close off the rear firewall to the trunk. Since I'm trying to reuse some of the original panels - its been slow piecing things together.

Also getting to use the new work-bench. This is the first metal-work/welding that I've done on a flat surface. Everything else has been welding in-place, on the car.

First I had to add a piece to close off the ribs.
Click to view attachment

Then had to extend the lower section so I can cut-off the excess.
Click to view attachment

This is where it will go. The gap just off right-center is how much the whole piece is lowered, marked, then trimmed.
Click to view attachment
bryanc
Gerard, some technical reference if you need:

1989 Shogun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=
3XR9SoQU16c

3d914
QUOTE(bryanc @ Apr 25 2016, 09:54 PM) *

Gerard, some technical reference if you need:

Bryan, nice to hear from you. I saw this on Jay Leno's channel on YouTube. Was even considering once to name my project ShoGun2 - but since the first one didn't really take off, thought that might no be the smartest choice. Awesome car though - would love to take it for a spin on the track.
3d914
Haven't been spending time on the 914-SHO for over 6 weeks. Been going through some tough stuff with my brother, but I think we got him through it. My son was home on leave so spending this weekend with family. Got some time planned for next week and the weekend though. Keep watching.
3d914
I know I haven't been on in a while. After getting my brother squared away, I was having difficulty getting back to the 914. My garage had become unmanageable, so I did what I thought I'd never do - buy a shed.

Click to view attachment

Well this is more like a small barn - 10x16 and lofted so that it has storage under the roof. Once I put my son's 914 in I built another loft a few feet lower - giving me more storage space that was easier to access.

Click to view attachment

And just when I was ready to get back to the 914, my LS400 starter took a crap. SO while I'm in there, I'm going to do a 150K mile service on it first.

So nice to have my garage back though.
Click to view attachment
3d914
Made some progress this morning before it got too hot. Got the side pieces for the rear firewall extension fit, trimmed, and bent.

Click to view attachment

The sides have 90deg tabs front & back to reinforce the extension. I'll also be adding a tab at the bottom. What remains is to add the L-shaped piece (seen on the center extension) at the top where the molding is mounted. The trunk will also get the rib added so the molding fits properly.

Click to view attachment
Darren C
QUOTE(3d914 @ Jul 6 2016, 04:04 AM) *

I did what I thought I'd never do - buy a shed.
Well this is more like a small barn - 10x16 and lofted so that it has storage under the roof.

WOW, thats a shed?

It's 25% bigger than my UK garage!
I wish I'd got that amount of space to work on my 914. I can't even open my 914 doors in my 8x16 garage.

Looks really great and very well built, love the storage space above too. Very nice.
3d914
QUOTE(Darren C @ Jul 10 2016, 12:20 AM) *

WOW, thats a shed?

It's 25% bigger than my UK garage!
I wish I'd got that amount of space to work on my 914. I can't even open my 914 doors in my 8x16 garage.

Looks really great and very well built, love the storage space above too. Very nice.

Thanks, Darren. Yep, that's what goes for a shed over here. In fact I believe that would be considered mid-sized. Some are garage-sized, others are small 8x8x7ft high.

Do you have to work on your 914 outside then?
3d914
Another hot day, but I was able to get the firewall insert mostly roughed out. Still have a bunch of welding to do on the parts and to put it in. Here's the hole with the motor in so you can see what's getting closed up.

Click to view attachment

Here's the parts spot welded together.

Click to view attachment

Left and right installed temporarily.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Tried to take a pic with the front camera, but not very good. Will get a better one later.

Click to view attachment

jd74914
Your new firewall looks awesome!!! It really looks just like a factory piece; very nice!
Darren C
QUOTE(3d914 @ Jul 11 2016, 03:36 AM) *

Thanks, Darren. Yep, that's what goes for a shed over here. In fact I believe that would be considered mid-sized. Some are garage-sized, others are small 8x8x7ft high.

Do you have to work on your 914 outside then?

If I want to open the doors then yes! Otherwise I’ve become something of a contortionist squeezing down the sides and under My 914. I have no power or light, so depending on the weather (which has seen the wettest June in a long while, and the garage flooding each day) I have to push the car outside each time I want to work on it which makes for hard work in this Build off Challenge. I know the USA has a reputation for everything being bigger, but here in UK an average shed from the hardware store is 6 x 4. Modern Houses and Garage size here are a real joke. With most barely 16 x 8 with a 7’ wide door, and cars getting bigger, the minute you put a bicycle, washing machine or vacuum cleaner in it the car wont fit and you have to climb out the sunroof.
Anyway less of that….your bulkhead looks great!
76-914
Like your insulated garage door. A necessity where you live, huh? I clocked a 50 degree difference between O/I surfaces w/ an IR gun. beerchug.gif
3d914
Thanks guys. I wasn't sure how this was gonna come out. But I've found that doing stuff on the bench yields better results than trying to do it on the car.

Got to spend a couple hours doing some of the finish welding and cleanup. I'm anxious to get it welded in place, but need to do more finish work before that happens. Once it's in I can move on to getting the rest of the body ready for primer & paint.

Click to view attachment
3d914
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jul 11 2016, 06:49 AM) *

Like your insulated garage door. A necessity where you live, huh? I clocked a 50 degree difference between O/I surfaces w/ an IR gun. beerchug.gif

76, I've not measured it, but I can feel a big difference. Door faces east, so opening it only a few feet in the mornings for light keeps it from getting too hot also.
Andyrew
Looks like fantastic metal work! You going to notch your top as well smile.gif
rick 918-S
Wow that is a big engine! Looked so much smaller out of the car. Cool.
3d914
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jul 11 2016, 10:12 PM) *

Looks like fantastic metal work! You going to notch your top as well smile.gif

Andrew, I'm still undecided about the top. Going to either go with a soft top that will be smaller to store, or I've even thought about making a two-piece top. So many higher-priority issues - I haven't thought it out fully.

95% of the time in my last 914, which was driven in Phoenix, I went without the top. I used a custom cockpit cover to shade the interior when parked, so the top was always in the trunk. It's cooler out where we're at now, so may not need the top at all except to take trips.
3d914
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jul 12 2016, 05:40 AM) *

Wow that is a big engine! Looked so much smaller out of the car. Cool.

Rick, yeh it is. I really like it though. The intake runners and chamber are huge, but the effect is equally cool. Should look killer under the black wire mesh engine lid. I'm expanding mine to increase cooling - but differently than the GT. I know there's any earlier post where I was mocking one up.

Thanks for the feedback.
3d914
Haven't spent much time on the 914. Spent a couple weekends with my son home working on his bike & his 996. Mostly been working on concreting posts in between all the rain, and finishing up work on the LS400.

The LS400 turned into one of those - while I'm in there . . . jobs. Started with a failed starter, then a dripping water pump, stuck fan clutch, and a leaking power steering pump. Water pump is off and power steering pump has been resealed and haven't even gotten to the starter yet - which just happens to be buried at the back of the top of the motor underneath all the intake stuff.

Gotta love it.

Click to view attachment
914forme
QUOTE(3d914 @ May 8 2016, 05:28 PM) *

Bryan, nice to hear from you. I saw this on Jay Leno's channel on YouTube. Was even considering once to name my project ShoGun2 - but since the first one didn't really take off, thought that might no be the smartest choice. Awesome car though - would love to take it for a spin on the track.

The SHOguns where never meant to be more than a coach built car. Originally they where only going to build two of them. shades.gif They would go to the Ford Dealer purchase and SHO and a Festiva. Mate the two, take the SHO body drop a run of the mill V6 into it, and sell it. Then box flare the Festiva and sell them. Beck was the creator of this little monster, and more than likely sold as many as he wanted to sell. Been hard to sell 1000s of them due to the logistics of multiple car purchases, etc.... Thats how I remember the story going down. Details might be a bit fuzzy, as it was a long time ago, and I got it second hand from a friend of Randy Beck.
3d914
Thanks for the detail Stephen. Here's vid with one On Leno's Garage.
3d914
Finally took some time on this three-day weekend to work on the 914-SHO. Spent a couple of days finishing up a fish tank stand for my daughter.

Click to view attachment

It was my plans to get the 914 into paint by now, but other priorities pushed it back. I did however get around to getting part of the underside in primer. Now I feel a little bit better. Hope to finish up the front this week. Got some metal cleanup to finish before primer.

Click to view attachment
3d914
Got the front portion cleaned up and primered. Once I decide on the undercoating, I'll get a paint that contrasts in color so I can make sure I get the undercoating where it needs to go.

Click to view attachment
jmitro
QUOTE(3d914 @ Sep 5 2016, 09:50 PM) *

. I did however get around to getting part of the underside in primer. Now I feel a little bit better. Hope to finish up the front this week. Got some metal cleanup to finish before primer.

nice work. Epoxy primer?
Your custom metal fab skills are great!
3d914
QUOTE(jmitro @ Sep 9 2016, 07:06 PM) *

QUOTE(3d914 @ Sep 5 2016, 09:50 PM) *

. I did however get around to getting part of the underside in primer. Now I feel a little bit better. Hope to finish up the front this week. Got some metal cleanup to finish before primer.

nice work. Epoxy primer?
Your custom metal fab skills are great!

Thanks. I'm just using SEM high-build primer in a can. I can go directly to undercoating, but may decide to paint it before doing that. I've been using self-etching primer everywhere else.
3d914
Getting ready for the 2017 Build-Off Challenge, so I decided to put my outline of work here. It's more accessible and I can review and mark things off as I make progress.

Rear Trunk
  • Complete firewall modifications
  • Seam seal trunk
  • Build filter box & support frame
Trunk Lid
  • Complete lid customization (NACA ducts, raised section)
  • Complete lid reinforcements
  • Build rear-hinging framework
Engine Lid
  • Hinge lid to trunk lid
  • Build shelf, guides, & lock pins for lid
  • Complete cutouts for mesh
Body Panels
  • Weld panels cutouts (L&R)
  • Cement & fit to FG flares
  • Undercoat inner panels & wheel wells
Dash Modifications
  • Custom fit SHO gauge cluster
  • Modify mid-dash for body color-matching
Interior
  • Fit & build custom seat rails
Primer & Paint
  • Complete paint removal
  • Prep body for primer
  • Send body off for finish work, primer & paint
Electrical
  • Build custom engine harness
  • Install fuse & relay panels in front trunk
  • Rewire front trunk
  • Rewire cockpit, rear trunk
  • Rewire engine bay and connect to engine harness
914 Parts Inventory
  • Inventory & clean all parts to be reused
  • ID & order new/used parts
Install & Assemble
  • Locate Battery in front trunk
  • Install interior & exterior parts
Engine Install
  • Fabricate exhaust
  • Fabricate cooling system & housings
  • Install engine, cooling, & exhaust
3d914
Finally got the rear firewall section welded in. It will get some finish work, primer, and seam-sealed - hopefully before the end of the month.

Click to view attachment
3d914
Got some time to mockup the air box based on my CAD data. I already have the plastic, so this just verifies dimensions and fit. I'll also use it to position pieces for cutting on the plastic sheets I bought.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
914forme
Looking good, I love this build.
3d914
QUOTE(914forme @ Oct 17 2016, 05:56 PM) *

Looking good, I love this build.

Thanks, Stephen. It looks like yours is moving quicker than mine, despite your recent mishap. I sometimes think I should have gone the EG33 route, but hey - there's always the next one right! Keep up the great job you're doing on yours.
3d914
Spent the early afternoon doing ignition service on the LS400 - new wires, plugs, caps, etc. Even doing it with my short-cuts it still took longer than any car I've worked on before.

Spent the rest of the afternoon positioning the NACA ducts and filter box on the trunk lid. The ducts get quite a bit of trimming, but I wanted to make sure they would clear the filter as planned. I also need to fabricate the cradle that holds the filter box. I think I'm going to design it to act as the mounting point for the trunk lid hinges as well.

So here's the NACA ducts positioned. They'll be trimmed up and formed slightly curved so they fit the curvature of the trunk lid. At final assy they get cemented in.

Click to view attachment

The filter is centered and angles toward the bottom of the box, and the ducts are to each side so there is no interference. Since the ends of the ducts get cut off - they just dump air into the box.

Click to view attachment

Here's the box as it sits on top the ducts. There will be rubber seals that seal the air box to the underside of the trunk lid. Part of the seal will likely end up mating to the back side of the ducts.

Click to view attachment

Finally, I've placed spacers under the air box mockup to represent the ducts and the seals. Tomorrow we'll put the trunk lid on and measure the remaining space to the floor of the trunk. From this I can fab the framework to hold the air box.

Click to view attachment

3d914
My son's home so we spent the morning replacing motor mounts on the 996. We did get the trunk lid on the 914 and I got some dimensions. Gonna post them here for reference.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
3d914
Spent some time this weekend checking the design for the trunk lid opening in the opposite direction - hinged at the back. Now that I have the mini hinges I can verify dimensions and fit. I'll need to extend the end of the hinge by six inches and decrease the bend angle for the arm by a little more than 11 degrees.

Here's what it looks like in CAD with the modified Mini hinge. The thick portion under the sheet metal is the support webbing. I'll be adding additional webbing from spare trunks so the hinge can mount to that.
Click to view attachment

Also had some time to prep & fit the right side body panel to weld on. Should have some daylight Friday while I'm off to finish the welding. Have other things to prep for welding during the week.
Click to view attachment
3d914
Working on closing up the left quarter panel - right behind the driver's door. Started cleaning the used panel I bought and removing paint - only to find some damage in the lower-left corner. Aside from the damage in the corner the panel's in good shape.

Click to view attachment

So this section will have to get cut out and I'll make a patch to go in its place. Then it will get cut with the rest of the panel to fit between the door and the flare.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

3d914
OK, got the lower-left corner repaired and the panel pre-cut.

Click to view attachment

Then got it trimmed & test-fitted so I could mark it for cutting. Marks came out good on the back, but I'm going to refit it tomorrow and mark it again to see if they come out the same.

Click to view attachment

Cairo94507
Great progress. I like this build. beerchug.gif
mbseto
I think going with Bosch on the air box was a good decision.
tygaboy
To all you guys who cut large chunks off your cars as part of your build: pray.gif

Great progress, keep it going!
3d914
Thanks guys, I appreciate the encouragement.

mbseto: Nice catch. biggrin.gif

tygaboy: Cutting good panels out to gain access was one of the most agonzing parts of my build. I'll be much relieved when they're back in and finished.
tygaboy
QUOTE(3d914 @ Nov 11 2016, 07:46 AM) *

Thanks guys, I appreciate the encouragement.

mbseto: Nice catch. biggrin.gif

tygaboy: Cutting good panels out to gain access was one of the most agonzing parts of my build. I'll be much relieved when they're back in and finished.

I'm with you on that. My panels are uber straight but I REALLY want to get better access for some of what I have planned. I just can't (yet) bring myself to put cutoff wheel to that nice steel...
Please post in detail as you fit these panels: tips for panel alignment, welding process, etc. We're all watching closely - and rooting for your success! cheer.gif
3d914
Thanks tygaboy,

I spent over six hours this weekend just working on the fit for this panel. That's on top of helping my daughter with her car, working with my wife on the pond, and getting a little chill time relaxing with my wife planning our bedroom renovation.

I don't have a lot of experience with this other than what I've gained working on this car for the last (I'm embarrassed to say) eight years. I don't have all the time-saving tools a regular body-shop would have either. The typical challenge fitting panels on the 914 is all the curves and radii. In this case I had the door handle pocket to act as a guide at the upper left of the panel, and the alignment along the bottom of the door for another. There were two more alignment references needed; a dimension from the front quarter-panel seam (under the door) to the lower-rear edge of the fender; the other a dimension from the back side of the lower channel to one of the fixed suspension mounting points.

Because my patch panel overlapped my cutout edges (see pic above), and with these four references, I was able to start at the front curved edge and mark it on the back of the patch - using the edge of the cutout as a guide. All marking occurred after checking each of the four positional references. I then would cut half the material off up to the mark. So if there was 1/4 inch of material, I took off an 1/8 inch. That allowed me to creep up on the mark. I didn't have another panel on hand - so I was careful not to botch this one.

Click to view attachment

Next I worked on the door handle pocket. The patch was different than mine, so I had to spend some time reshaping and getting the two to line up properly. I continued to do this all the way up until the final fit. As I completed fitting each edge, I would re-verify the four reference positions.

Click to view attachment

I then moved to the top edge. This was a little trick because I didn't have a good way to secure the bottom channel and every time I wanted to adjust the panel at the top, the bottom would move also. Finally I started using the support bracket that connects under the back channel to the inner body. Mine was pretty beat up, but I was able to reshape it and make it usable.

Click to view attachment

The next section to fit was the back edge along the hip of the fender. I left this as an overlap because it gave me one less loose corner to have to deal with when fitting the panel. Now with the others fit and the four positions verified, I was able to mark this on the back and cut.

Click to view attachment

Then I was able to use a couple welding clips to fasten things and verify the fit and all dimensions. This is also when I did additional sanding of the patch edges to provide a small gap for welding. I generally use a black marker to mark the front of the panel where the edge needs to be sanded/filed.

The final cutting needing to be done was behind the FG flare. I've already cleaned it so it will be ready for panel bonding cement - which I'll do after all the welding is finished.

Here's the final fit with the level as a straight edge - carrying the line from the door backward along the panel.

Click to view attachment

3d914
In addition to getting the left panel fit, I was able to get it tack-welded in and had time to tack the right patch in also.

Left side
Click to view attachment

Right side
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.