Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Installing a V-8...a few questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
computers4kids
One of my next projects on this car is to re-gear the transmission. I need a higher geared 5th. 1st is pretty much useless right now. Here's a suggestion that one 914 member suggested...he said it made a big difference on his v8 teener.

You lock out 1st
2nd is stock
3rd is a flipped 4th (V)
4th is a flipped 3rd (N)
Throw away the stock 5th ((ZD) and install the H or HA flipped

I was able to recently able to pickup an H gear for a good price, so now I've got to make some gear decisions.
Here is the stock gearing in my 901 case. My tires are 23.5 inches.
Click to view attachment

Here is what I am thinking...I know, the topend is insane, but the RPMs should be good at 70. A (locked out); F; N; V, H
Click to view attachment
Here is a cutout 901 just for fun...not mine laugh.gif
Click to view attachment
echocanyons
Great news with the crossover pipe I thought it sounded super when I was down but a bit quieter is probably a nicer ride.

What shop did you use for the chrome?

I wonder if we could round up a few more of the regional people and plan a drive, Sequoia park maybe (springtime of course)?
marks914
That is my reccomendation for sure. decent spacing, kind of like an old camaro. Best money I spent on my car. It is a real blast dropping it down in 2nd on the expressway. Its nice that I can hit 60 in 1st and 100 in 2nd, never wound out 3rd though.

Mark
computers4kids
QUOTE(echocanyons @ Jan 24 2009, 06:17 PM) *

Great news with the crossover pipe I thought it sounded super when I was down but a bit quieter is probably a nicer ride.

What shop did you use for the chrome?

I wonder if we could round up a few more of the regional people and plan a drive, Sequoia park maybe?

A ride always sound like fun! The chome shop that I have been using is "Visalia Chrome" on Switzler street in Visalia. It's a one man show (I think)....family business, father now the son is running it. He does excellent work. No checks, cards etc...only cash, and you have to leave a deposit for the work. I would say his prices are average, but the work is superior.
TC 914-8
QUOTE(computers4kids @ Jan 24 2009, 05:54 PM) *

One of my next projects on this car is to re-gear the transmission. I need a higher geared 5th. 1st is pretty much useless right now. Here's a suggestion that one 914 member suggested...he said it made a big difference on his v8 teener.

You lock out 1st
2nd is stock
3rd is a flipped 4th (V)
4th is a flipped 3rd (N)

I was able to recently able to pickup an H gear for a good price, so now I've got to make some gear decisions.

Here is what I am thinking...I know, the topend is insane, but the RPMs should be good at 70. A (locked out); F; N; V, H
Click to view attachment

Wow Mark, I told you it never ends. Where did you find the 5th gear at a reasonable price?

what is the purpose in flipping 4th to 3rd?

We'll have to talk about this gear ratio stuff in detail, I have the same problem.

I'll be working at a Food Max west shaw in Fresno, I'll drop you a PM to get your # maybe Wed or Thurs night we can get a burger, I can come your way, I Have to see your car in person.

Tony
marks914
QUOTE(TC 914-8 @ Jan 25 2009, 10:45 AM) *

QUOTE(computers4kids @ Jan 24 2009, 05:54 PM) *

You lock out 1st
2nd is stock
3rd is a flipped 4th (V)
4th is a flipped 3rd (N)

Click to view attachment

Wow Mark, I told you it never ends. Where did you find the 5th gear at a reasonable price?

what is the purpose in flipping 4th to 3rd?

We'll have to talk about this gear ratio stuff in detail, I have the same problem.

I'll be working at a Food Max west shaw in Fresno, I'll drop you a PM to get your # maybe Wed or Thurs night we can get a burger, I can come your way, I Have to see your car in person.

Tony

Tony,
Take a look at my gear chart above, "flipping" 3rd andt 4th gives you the right spacing. If you leave 3rd and 4th where that are, its a long way to 5th. I dont show 1st (locked out)
Mark
TC 914-8
I see said the blind man, When you say "Flipping" you mean changing / Switching the order of the gear on the Shaft? I tend to think it is the set, the pilot and output gear? I do understand the concept of closer ratio but I need to get up to speed (no pun intended) on phsycally moving the gears around on the shafts. It seems you would have to move both ? to maintain the distance between the center point of the shafts, which would be Down shifting going fron 3 to 4th. Give me some time and it will come to me.

Are there any good threads showing gear box construction?

Thanks Mark,

Tony
marks914
The swapping is just like this:
You lock out 1st
2nd is stock
3rd is a flipped 4th (V)
4th is a flipped 3rd (N)

which means:
Lock out 1st
2nd is stock
3rd: take the set off and replace it with the 4th gears reversed or "flipped" (drive gear is now the idle gear)
4th is the old 3rd gear flipped
5th is a H or HA (2nd out of a 901 box I believe, not a 914 box) flipped

Mark
TC 914-8
That makes sense, Fliping means moving the position on the " drive and Idler" along with the order on the cluster. Right?
So when I get there, which will be some day soon, where and what do I look to buy for the 5th gear?
I do agree 1st gear is useless with a V-8, but I do use it for the uphill starts, parking lot, slow stuff. I know it is very fragile but do you really want to lock it out?

T
Dr. Roger
in hind sight i'd have kept the first gear for hills as stated above. but i live close to san francisco and experience steep hill starts.
you'll never "accidentally" start in first with a lead foot....

i had no idea they came in a narrow and deep rear valence. good to know. keep up the good work.

has anyone mentioned that you should prepare for smiling muscle cramps?
marks914
QUOTE(TC 914-8 @ Jan 25 2009, 07:32 PM) *

That makes sense, Fliping means moving the position on the " drive and Idler" along with the order on the cluster. Right?
So when I get there, which will be some day soon, where and what do I look to buy for the 5th gear?
I do agree 1st gear is useless with a V-8, but I do use it for the uphill starts, parking lot, slow stuff. I know it is very fragile but do you really want to lock it out?

T

That is right on the swap and flip
For a taller 5th look for an H or HA,
Do you want to lock out 1st? Do whatever you want, its your car.
Mark
JRust
I personally like having first available. I am very careful using it though. Nice to have in stop & go traffic. I haven't done a dang thing to my v8 in months. IT has been beautiful & sunny out. Enough that I am tempted to take a drive. Then I remember I literally have no heat & 41 degrees just aint cutting it dry.gif . Guess it's good that my master cylinder is leaking & I got no brakes. If I fixed it I'd be ou there freezing my ass off blink.gif
computers4kids
To lock out first or not?

For me, using 1st gear occasionally & responsibly on acceleration is not really the issue. Since I'm the only one that drives my car, I don't see a problem with leaving it...Could be really handy in stop and go traffic or up a serious incline in stopped traffic.

However, my biggest concern is accidentally downshifting into 1st....going from 4th to 3rd can easily translate into disaster if you downshift from 4th to 1st by mistake. One might say "what idiot" would do that...no one with a v8 intentionally, but with the loosy-goosy 901 shift mechanism it's not that difficult. One slip like this and and your tranny would probably implode...then you have real problems.
Click to view attachment
Someday when I hit the lottery, I will add a Renshift on for sure...then it's probably no longer an issue of accidentally hitting first. I tried to see if one could put a "lock out" on first gear, like you can in reverse but couldn't find anyone that said it could be done. I think having a Renshift with R and 1st locked out at all times would be perfect...the driver has to intentionally unlock those gears when moving into them.

Dr. Evil had a great article how to semi-permanently lock out first inside the transmission. I know some guys literally remove the 1st gear...not sure why though, perhaps just good insurance?
andys
QUOTE(computers4kids @ Jan 27 2009, 06:55 AM) *

To lock out first or not?

For me, using 1st gear occasionally & responsibly on acceleration is not really the issue. Since I'm the only one that drives my car, I don't see a problem with leaving it...Could be really handy in stop and go traffic or up a serious incline in stopped traffic.

However, my biggest concern is accidentally downshifting into 1st....going from 4th to 3rd can easily translate into disaster if you downshift from 4th to 1st by mistake. One might say "what idiot" would do that...no one with a v8 intentionally, but with the loosy-goosy 901 shift mechanism it's not that difficult. One slip like this and and your tranny would probably implode...then you have real problems.
Click to view attachment
Someday when I hit the lottery, I will add a Renshift on for sure...then it's probably no longer an issue of accidentally hitting first. I tried to see if one could put a "lock out" on first gear, like you can in reverse but couldn't find anyone that said it could be done. I think having a Renshift with R and 1st locked out at all times would be perfect...the driver has to intentionally unlock those gears when moving into them.

Dr. Evil had a great article how to semi-permanently lock out first inside the transmission. I know some guys literally remove the 1st gear...not sure why though, perhaps just good insurance?

With that same concern in mind, I believe it's one of our local 914 owners that replaced the springs on the R - 1 gate with a stronger set springs that are located in the shifter tower. He reports that after the mod you really have to want to put it into first, and he has a lot more comfort level after the spring swap.

Andys
dkjens
Where does one find an H or HA gear set (which is higher?), does anybody make them (new)?
How high is a switched 2nd gear?
Dr. Roger
someone around here knows where the list of transaxle case numbers are. they can reveal where you may find the gear sets you're looking for.
type47fan
Click to view attachment"H" = 19:32 (0.594), "HB"= 19:31 (0.613), '"HA" = 20:32 (0.625)

"H" -
902/00 4spd '65-'66 911/912
902/01 4spd '67-'68 912
902/04 4spd
902/14 4spd

"HA" -
901/53 5spd
901/54 5spd
901/78 5spd
901/79 5spd
901/83 5spd
901/84 5psd

"HB" -
901/06 4spd
901/10 4spd
901/12 4spd
905/00 sporto
905/01 sporto
905/13 sporto

These are all 2nd gear sets. Some transmissions (type "914") have the 2nd gear fixed on the drivehaft and is, thus, not removable. The 904 driveshaft had no fixed 2nd gear and was splined to accomodate different gears.

Technically, although referred to as a type "901" gearbox, the transmission supplied in the 914 is a type "914", for mid-engined application. Look at the numbers stamped on the spline of the case. The type "901" box is for the tail draggers.

If you decide to turn your car into a 4 speed or only use 1st gear as a crawler, you might consider getting an early 4 speed shift knob . . . .
pktzygt
QUOTE(computers4kids @ Aug 31 2008, 11:05 PM) *
With a little luck, I came across a new 350z grill on ebay and walked away with it for $51 with shipping.Click to view attachment

Beautiful car!!! So beautiful that I was hoping that you wouldn't mind if I borrow your 350z grill idea?

I was planning on using a billet grill from a chevy truck, but it's looking like it won't fit very well. I did find a 350z grill that had 13 bars instead of your 16 bars to give it a little different look. I'm mostly concerned about how well did the curvature match the 914 bumper. What did you have to do to make that grill fit? It looks like the top bar on the 350z grill is shorter on the ends than the lower bars. Did you cut the rest of the bars to match in length? How did you mount it?

Thanks,
Sean
computers4kids
QUOTE(pktzygt @ Feb 3 2009, 04:56 AM) *

QUOTE(computers4kids @ Aug 31 2008, 11:05 PM) *
With a little luck, I came across a new 350z grill on ebay and walked away with it for $51 with shipping.Click to view attachment

Beautiful car!!! So beautiful that I was hoping that you wouldn't mind if I borrow your 350z grill idea?

I was planning on using a billet grill from a chevy truck, but it's looking like it won't fit very well. I did find a 350z grill that had 13 bars instead of your 16 bars to give it a little different look. I'm mostly concerned about how well did the curvature match the 914 bumper. What did you have to do to make that grill fit? It looks like the top bar on the 350z grill is shorter on the ends than the lower bars. Did you cut the rest of the bars to match in length? How did you mount it?

Thanks,
Sean

Hi Sean,
The curvature of the 350z grill is pretty darn close to that of our front bumpers. You will need to shorten both ends and remove I as recall a couple of bars on each side of the width. This stuff cuts like butter with a cutting wheel. Just tape where you are going to cut so you don't accidentally mar-up the area next to the cuts. After cutting, use a DA or sander with fine sand paper to smooth the cut....looks perfect. The recesses of my grill bars is black, so I used a small paint brush and dabbed the ends to make it looked finished...can't even tell.

I welded a supports from a piece of an extra engine lid across the center of the bumper on either side. The grill comes with brackets on the backside and they will bolt to those brackets I welded on. I used some fiberglass spacers from the hardware store to space the grill flush.

The ends of the grill bars also flex easily. You will find the ends curve a bit downward for the 350z...just flex them straight to match the 914 horn grill pattern.

My buddy did the same for his v8 914 and went with black grill and black bumper for the stealth look....looks very nice as well if the bling is not your style.

Here is a picture of my painted bumper version still hanging in the garage....if your interested I would sell you that one ready to go (primered)...

Mark
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
pktzygt
Thanks for the info. I think I might as well cut up one of my spare bumpers. It seems like a fairly easy project for me to practice my welding skills on. I think I will go for chromefor now on my black bumper and decide how it looks. Now I just need to decide on the 16 bar (better protection) or the 13 bar (hopefully looks closer to the fog light grills). I'll let you know if I change my mind about the bumper you offered.

Thanks again.
JRust
Here is a pic of mine using the 350z grill. I gotta admit mine is held in place at the moment with Zip ties dry.gif . Still even without my valance I think it turned out nice. Really is pretty dead on with the foglight grills for spcing between ribs
pktzygt
QUOTE(JRust @ Feb 3 2009, 01:03 PM) *

Here is a pic of mine using the 350z grill. I gotta admit mine is held in place at the moment with Zip ties dry.gif . Still even without my valance I think it turned out nice. Really is pretty dead on with the foglight grills for spcing between ribs

Yours looks to be the 13 bar version. Do you remember where you bought yours from?
computers4kids
QUOTE(pktzygt @ Feb 4 2009, 02:09 AM) *

QUOTE(JRust @ Feb 3 2009, 01:03 PM) *

Yours looks to be the 13 bar version. Do you remember where you bought yours from?

Trex grills are high quality grills but can be had very cheap on ebay, or buy them direct from a retailer...several people sell them. Check around first...I found quite a few different prices. I bought mine new on ebay for $41.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
andys
Mark/JRust,

I seen they list a 02, 03, 04, 05 350Z grill application separately from a 06, 07 application. Are they in fact different? Which one should I get?

Thanks,

Andys
computers4kids
QUOTE(andys @ Feb 4 2009, 12:45 PM) *

Mark/JRust,

I seen they list a 02, 03, 04, 05 350Z grill application separately from a 06, 07 application. Are they in fact different? Which one should I get?

Thanks,

Andys

I purchased the 2006, I can't speak to the other years. You could always call Nissan or someone who sells the Trex grills and ask. Check the part number for a 2006 Trex grill against the other years.
Sorry no help.
JRust
Seems like mine was an 05 but I don't remember. Been a while too so I doubt it still shows in my que? I'm sure Mark's 06 is the way to go. His memory is better than mine wacko.gif
Scott S
QUOTE(computers4kids @ Jan 5 2009, 01:56 PM) *

Thanks to one of our member vendors, Raul, I was able to install his reproduction door sills...a nice finishing touch.
Click to view attachment

One of the things that has been bothering me is the noise level at an idle and the resonation in the cab below 2,000 rpm. Currently, I have new turbo mufflers with the pipes going up and over the axles after dumping out of the headers. There isn't much room to play with for larger mufflers or anything else....so I started doing a lot of reading on the net about sound waves that accompany exhaust gasses. I didn't want to kill to many horses but wanted it quieter.

As a result, I decided to have a crossover pipe, sometimes called an H pipe installed between the two exhaust branches. There is a lot more to it that just welding in a pipe that connects the two, length, size of pipe, and position along the exhaust route all play into it. Now on most cars there is plenty of room...not is a v-8 914! My crossover pipe begins by branching off the elbow on the high side of exhaust pipe that goes over the axles. It then heads towards the rear of the car above the turbo mufflers across the rear of the car and then back up the other side. A junction was placed in the middle of the rear of the car so when I need to work on one side of the engine etc, I can disconnect and drop the exhaust either the left or right sides.

Bottom line, what a huge difference the pipe made...it did exactly what I had hoped for! My exhaust is still throaty, but mellowed and the resonation is gone at all rpms...that was a bigge. I could not tell any performance change, but the car sounds sweet and perfect for driving now...even my wife will come along grouphug.gif
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

First of all - the car is simply beautiful. I love the color with the polished fuchs - even the black euro emblem - great total package.

I am havinf a hard time picturing your exhaust set -up, even with the pics. I am very interested in it. Anyway you could post a diagram?

Thanks!
Scott S
computers4kids
QUOTE(Scott Schroeder @ Feb 5 2009, 11:03 AM) *

QUOTE(computers4kids @ Jan 5 2009, 01:56 PM) *

One of the things that has been bothering me is the noise level at an idle and the resonation...

As a result, I decided to have a crossover pipe, sometimes called an H pipe installed between the two exhaust branches. There is a lot more to it that just welding in a pipe that connects the two, length, size of pipe, and position along the exhaust route all play into it. Now on most cars there is plenty of room...not is a v-8 914! My crossover pipe begins by branching off the elbow on the high side of exhaust pipe that goes over the axles. It then heads towards the rear of the car above the turbo mufflers across the rear of the car and then back up the other side. A junction was placed in the middle of the rear of the car so when I need to work on one side of the engine etc, I can disconnect and drop the exhaust either the left or right sides.

Bottom line, what a huge difference the pipe made...it did exactly what I had hoped for! My exhaust is still throaty, but mellowed and the resonation is gone at all rpms...that was a bigge. I could not tell any performance change, but the car sounds sweet and perfect for driving now...even my wife will come along grouphug.gif

First of all - the car is simply beautiful. I love the color with the polished fuchs - even the black euro emblem - great total package.

I am havinf a hard time picturing your exhaust set -up, even with the pics. I am very interested in it. Anyway you could post a diagram?

Thanks!
Scott S

Thanks for the compliments Scott. Hopefully this diagram will make a little more sense...hard to visualize. I just used an engine pic off the net for illustration purposes. The 914 engine is a small block chevy with a 901.
Click to view attachment
computers4kids
Had sometime today, so I headed for the garage.
I have begun to install AC on my car, although I still have to figure-out a compressor bracket and pulley. Couple years ago I horse traded parts with a real nice guy I had met at the Rustmeet in Riverside and ended up with an AC system that looked new inside and out....obviously stored for 30 + years.
Click to view attachment

Here's one that I would highly suggest for all 914 v-8 motors. My motor is a bit cold blooded and doesn't like a slow idle for the first 3 minutes until it gets warmed-up. Once warmed-up, it just purrs at 600 rpm. Even with the autochoke and fast idle cam, the motor needs a faster warm-up rpm when it is cold. After some reading, I knew what I needed: An Edelbrock Idle Compensator. Normally these are for kicking-up the idle when the AC is on, I wired it so I can manually kick the idle up until the motor is warm, and then manually kick the idle down when I want. It also will kick in if the AC is turned on. It's quite slick, and works awesome.
The kit is between 100-120 at parts stores. After I bought mine I came across a guy who sold me an extra for considerably less, so if you want one I'll make you a deal!
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
computers4kids
Last but not least, I picked-up a NOS 4 speed leather stitched gear knob for a teener for $15. My tranny is still a 5 speed but I never use 1st anymore, so it's the pattern I use and will ultimately end-up with when I rebuild my transmission and install the h gear I picked-up.
Rod
Well I just had a really enjoyable hour reading through your thread smile.gif great car, well done, your attention to detail is superb, the grill is by far the best I have seen yet and I love the colour..

I live in the UK and have a 1.7L teener in need of an engine upgrade, reading that has encouraged me to think seriously about the V8 route - don't thonk there are any others here in the UK???

Cheers, nice ride. beerchug.gif
computers4kids
QUOTE(Rod @ Feb 11 2009, 12:12 PM) *

Well I just had a really enjoyable hour reading through your thread smile.gif

Thanks Rod. Building a V8 teener has been a lot of fun.

One of the items I've been meaning to do was drop my car 1 1/2 all the way around. I was able to pickup a nice set of Bilsteins which I added a set of 200lb springs to. The stars must have been lined-up for me today. I decided to move the circlip to the middle position to start with to see if the ride height would be where I want it....got lucky, it was just right. I figured I'd have to move the clips at least a couple of times.
Click to view attachment
Here are some current pictures with the new ride height.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
computers4kids
Another
dkjens
That's a very nice looking little sleeper. I bet you can acquire many new cars racing for pinkslips he he.
pktzygt
QUOTE(computers4kids @ Feb 28 2009, 10:57 PM) *

I don't know what it is about this picture, but WOW!!!

Someday....
computers4kids
I decided to remove the aftermarket steering wheel (5 bolt) that came with one of my parts cars and go with a MOMO (6 bolt). The black leather looks perfect with my interior.

Parts used:
MOMO adapter for a late 914...part #8082
MOMO 13" wheel...with my gauge cluster it's perfect
Turn signal canceling ring with horn contact...113-415-660-A (bug aftermarket part that fits Beetles 71-79, Ghia 71-74, Bus 74-79) This part is a great addition for MOMOs on our cars.

Tips: I used a waver thin washer on top of the cclip that is a stop for the adapter on the steering column. This gave me the little bit more space that I wanted between where the adapter and steering column meet.

For the horn button, I took the large washer that goes under the big steering wheel nut and soldered a ground wire to the washer. Some MOMO horn buttons have one connection while others have two (hot and ground). Eventually I'll put a porsche horn button on (I think) and I'll be setup for both types of horn buttons.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
computers4kids
This is a little bit of a side trip to my thread, but I've been looking for quite a while for a good deal on a trailer (my 914 chariot) for my 914. I finally found one that had everything I wanted & more for a good used price of $1300. I'll paint the trailer semi-gloss black to go with my 914.
Features:
  • It’s a low boy trailer with a very gentle 3' dove tail....my car is very low to the ground and I wanted a trailer that would be very easy for loading. I also have water lines under my car to add to the mix.
  • The trailer doesn't need ramps it's a full tilt trailer. Mounted on the front is a large hydraulic ram that can be operated by hand pumping, or it also has an air pressure device mounted to the hydraulic ram that when connected to an air source will operate the ram tilting the trailer.
  • Extra wide diamond plate runners...the 914's wheel based is exactly dead center on them....some trailers the runners are space out wider.
  • New 3000 lb electric winch with hand control inside the tool box mounted up front.
  • 2 5/16 ball
  • Hitch connector is the horse trailer type that allows you to slide into a trailer, not the typical ball type.
  • Brand new tires

Bottom line, it's a great trailer for the price well suited for hauling a 914....I'm thrilled.
Click to view attachment
dkjens
Nice trailer. I bought the $80.00 wireless color back-up camera from Pep Boys to allow me to hook up to my toy-hauler on my own, love it.
JRust
Nice Mark, Great buy & definately well suited for all the parts cars you bring home. It's been a while so you should be coming accross one this week dry.gif .

Seriously though it's a nice trailer. Be kind of a pain to open your car door to get out. Guess that is only the case if you drive it up. With your winch that will be a piece of cake. Good score biggrin.gif
computers4kids
QUOTE(JRust @ Mar 16 2009, 12:26 PM) *

Nice Mark, Great buy & definately well suited for all the parts cars you bring home. It's been a while so you should be coming accross one this week dry.gif .

Seriously though it's a nice trailer. Be kind of a pain to open your car door to get out. Guess that is only the case if you drive it up. With your winch that will be a piece of cake. Good score biggrin.gif

Hey Jamie. Actually you load the car with the trailer in the tilt mode. When in tilt, the doors easily clear the fenders and open and close. So if you drive it up in tilt, just drive up, stop, get out, lower the tilt...pretty trick...or, like you said, just drive half way and let the winch pull it the rest. smilie_pokal.gif
Click to view attachment

Little paint and TLC and my 914 chariot is ready for the road.
IPB Image
TC 914-8
Hi Mark,

Excelent score, I have an eye out for a trailer too. hope I can find a deal like that.

bye1.gif
charliew
The car really looks sleeper and nice.

It also looks like it has trailer brakes. Actually if the doors will clear the 914 is light enough you could push it by hand to center the weight over the axle after you get out. You might want to make some chocks that drop in some holes in the floor to set the front wheels against when pulling on to avoid rolling into the front braces. Just pull up till it touches the stops, lower it, and roll it back to where you want it. If it's running you could also back it on.

You might want to look for a tool box to put beside the ram to hold the tiedowns and maybe some chain and a come along and gloves incase some unforseen thing happens to the winch. Jegs had the best prices on tie downs when I got mine but check other places also.

It's amazing how many new friends you will make once they know you have a car trailer and how many things can get screwed up when you loan it out. Bent wheels, knocked of dust covers and tail lights usually are where to check when it gets back home.
computers4kids
Click to view attachmentI decided to make an investment...that is, in my car--I bought a Renshift. I've been drewling over this shifter by JWest engineering for quite a while, but always seemed to need something more important. I always thought my shifting was pretty good...that is for a 914. Even so I pulled the orginal one and went for it. What an amazing piece of work. Along with the shifter I also installed all new bushings (originally I thought they were OK, but the cup bushing had cracked somewhere in time, which explained why my 4th-5th shift was not quite right).
Click to view attachment
computers4kids
Wow...what a difference! My 914 now shifts like a modern car, each shift feels so positive. I can't rave enough about this improvement, one of the best things I've done. Now with the new cocoa mats that just arrived, I'm pretty happy with the way it all turned out.
JRust
Glad you got the adjustments all worked out. I am definately going to pony up for a REnnshift after I finish the LE. Looking forward to seeing your car in person very soon biggrin.gif
computers4kids
One of the issues that I had to work out (aggravated when I lowered my car) was the tight clearance of the OEM shift coupler and the SBC fan belt. When moving into 2nd and 4th gears the rod rotates the coupler and would rub the fan belt. wacko.gif
Coupler Search
IPB Image

Thanks to Stephen (smdubovsky) a solution was found. Stephen makes six rods using a 360 degree rotational coupler. Stephen's machine talents built just the coupler portion for me, which replaced the OEM coupler. Now I have almost 5/8 of an inch clearance through all gears. As an added bonus of the couplers design along with the newly installed Renshift, I have a nice shifting v8 914 now. I can't thank Stephen enough for his helpfulness and talents.
Click to view attachment

computers4kids
I also added some tie-down brackets from David Lee to make securing the 914 to the trailer easy. His rear shock bolt brackets were a no brainer bolt-on.
Click to view attachment
However, the front loops that attached to the torsion bar mounting points just hung down too far. My car is very low, especially with the spoiler. The loops hung down a a couple of inches below the spoiler. I wasn't happy with the look or the fact the loops would drag if I tried to load it on trailer. It was my lowering of the car that made the problem.

So I decided to mount my old flat tow kit and remove the cross bar. Then I removed the tie down loops from the brackets they were welded too. Now with a set of tow bar pins, adding or removing the loops are simple when needed. Nothing shows when not pinned, yet hangs down to nicely clear the spoiler for the tie-down straps when trailering.
Click to view attachment
computers4kids
A little bored today, so I decided to build a flap for the dizzy cutout. Not really necessary since, you can't see anything once the targa lid is in the trunk....which is usually 99.99% of the time. I almost always have the top off.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
computers4kids
Also had a little surprise when I went to put the targa top on for the first time--nothing that a razor blade couldn't fix...early lid brackets rubber bumpers are taller than late lid bracket bumpers.
Click to view attachment
WCR2009 in just a few days...I'm ready--it will be so much fun. Car is on the trailer and ready to go. MDB2.gif
Click to view attachment
JRust
What you mean your car is working allready? Thats just not right blink.gif . There are still a few days left confused24.gif

Seriously though good to know some are ready. Trailer looks nice repainted. Be seeing you soon biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.