Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Installing a V-8...a few questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
michaelt55
I have a GT lid also. Tell me if it makes that much difference in cooling? If it makes a 5 degree difference I am swapping mine out.

Michael
TC 914-8
QUOTE(JRust @ Aug 1 2008, 11:30 PM) *

Sounds good Mark! Dual tips fill it perfectly. Wish I was close by so we could race. Of course my car would need to be working right headbang.gif

Hey Mark,

Good to see you are still at it, your car will be a champ in no time.

What's the verdict with Jamies Car ?? unsure.gif Are we going to see a new V-8 thread for him??

Keep us posted,

I did a local " Porsches on the Peir " last week in Pt Angles Wa.

when I pulled up with all the 993', Boxters, Caymans, and 930"s all's I saw was nostrils' then they warmed up a bit to allow me to partcipate.
Click to view attachment

Talk to you soon,

Tony

jim_hoyland
Very nice Mark! smilie_pokal.gif
computers4kids
QUOTE(michaelt55 @ Aug 2 2008, 11:04 AM) *

I have a GT lid also. Tell me if it makes that much difference in cooling? If it makes a 5 degree difference I am swapping mine out.
Michael

Michael...I really don't hava any comparsion temps. When I saw how much heat the motor was cranking out, I immediately built the GT grill. I have a laser temp gauge, it would be interesting to see what kind of temps the engine compartment runs. I was waiting for my brakes to arrive, so I never drove the car much with the reg. lid. Both Jamie and I are interested in ceramic coating our headers for just this reason.
Mark
computers4kids
QUOTE(TC 914-8 @ Aug 3 2008, 12:20 AM) *

QUOTE(JRust @ Aug 1 2008, 11:30 PM) *

Sounds good Mark! Dual tips fill it perfectly. Wish I was close by so we could race. Of course my car would need to be working right headbang.gif

Hey Mark,

Good to see you are still at it, your car will be a champ in no time.

What's the verdict with Jamies Car ?? unsure.gif Are we going to see a new V-8 thread for him??

Keep us posted,

I did a local " Porsches on the Peir " last week in Pt Angles Wa.

when I pulled up with all the 993', Boxters, Caymans, and 930"s all's I saw was nostrils' then they warmed up a bit to allow me to partcipate.

Talk to you soon,
Tony

I love the pier picture...classic! So you sponsored the event and you were the only 914...too funny. Jamie's car is coming along...he seems like he's getting a handle on the whole overheating bit.
computers4kids
Well my Summer is almost over...back to work in a week. Work is really going to cut into my play time. av-943.gif Did a little work...
Intalled a Holley Blue electric pump and regulator. I had read they tend to be a bit noisy..that's an understatement. I'm not to sure I'm going to keep it. I even took extra care mounting it on the old 75 fuel pump inspection plate and separated it from the body of the car with a thick bead of butle. The noise is not acceptable.
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

Next, I installed a set of Dr. Evil's axle bolts with stainless wire. I'll feel a little better now...read too many threads of axle catastrophies with the bolts loosening up.

Finally, "Did I ever tell you how much I hate to work on fiberglass?' I'll take metal work any day. Anyway...rear valance is now sweet and ready for paint.
Click to view attachment
TC 914-8
QUOTE(computers4kids @ Aug 4 2008, 06:35 PM) *

Well my Summer is almost over...back to work in a week. Work is really going to cut into my play time. av-943.gif Did a little work...
Intalled a Holley Blue electric pump and regulator. I had read they tend to be a bit noisy..that's an understatement. I'm not to sure I'm going to keep it. I even took extra care mounting it on the old 75 fuel pump inspection plate and separated it from the body of the car with a thick bead of butle. The noise is not acceptable.

Next, I installed a set of Dr. Evil's axle bolts with stainless wire. I'll feel a little better now...read too many threads of axle catastrophies with the bolts loosening up.

Finally, "Did I ever tell you how much I hate to work on fiberglass?' I'll take metal work any day. Anway...rear valance is now sweet and ready for paint.
Click to view attachment

Hi Mark, It wasn't my show on the Peir, it was a PCA event, But yep I was the only 914.

On the topic of the electric fuel pump, I installed a Carter pump up front like yours. I did try to use the supplied rubber gromets and mounting brackets, and it is still prety noisy, until the engine starts then you cant hear it.

Try using a few rubber pads between the bracket and cover plate, then another rubber plate between the cover plate and front wall. It may help.

The Install looks great, and I like the regulator with the gauge, Where did you get it ?
Your rear valance and Exhaust tips look cool. I will be checking my CVbolts when I get home first thing.

Tony

computers4kids
QUOTE(TC 914-8 @ Aug 4 2008, 10:00 PM) *

The Install looks great, and I like the regulator with the gauge, Where did you get it ?
Tony

Tony...the Holley regulator is sold at all the usual places, i.e Jeggs. The standard regulator has one in and two outs...use one for a gauge.
computers4kids
Work has really been getting in the way of getting back to my project... laugh.gif
Have been able to do a few things. First, I replaced my custom oil pan with a chrome stock oil pan which allowed me to use a stock sideshift rod. Now my car shifts fantasitcally...no more oil pan interference.

Well, I finally had time to build my front end grill. I had just mocked-up a temp grill to get the car running. While I was at the WCR2008 I met a guy (Jerry) who had used a Nissan 350Z grill to customize his rengegade cooling pass through on the front bumper. I knew then what I wanted.

With a little luck, I came across a new 350z grill on ebay and walked away with it for $51 with shipping.Click to view attachment

It took a bit of work to make it fit since I'm a perfectionist, but I'm pleased with the way it came out.
Here's a before and after....
Click to view attachment
Little by little it's all coming together driving.gif
JRust
Hey Mark that definately looks better than your get you by one. I can't remember what color you are painting your car. So I am not sure if I like the chrome look yet. I do like the black look on the grills myself. Still until I see it once your car is painted I will reserve judgment.

Having said all that that grill looks like the way to go. It does tie in really well with the fog light grill. Glad to know you got something out of WCR besides the helping me work on my car biggrin.gif . I'll be looking to buy one of those grills for myself. although on my car the grill will be all black if I have to paint it myself. With my front being black I think the chrome or polished would stand out to much confused24.gif
computers4kids
Chrome or Black? Jamie...Do you think the chrome with look better on a black flared car? happy11.gif
I've seen both the black and chrome on cars and I tend to lean toward the chrome. I don't care for the chrome fogs with the black grills as much. If you go black fogs and black grill that would look good...I think. The color of the car has alot to do with how it looks.

I'm going to paint my car the marathon blue metalic...the chrome I believe will look good...if not, I'll paint or power coat them black. You can always go to black not the other way around as easily.

On another note, did I mention I took my car down to the public scales an had it weighed? With the targa top and not installed pieces of chrome, the car weighs right at 2360lbs. Someday, I would like to weigh my stock 74.
JRust
QUOTE(computers4kids @ Sep 1 2008, 10:34 AM) *

Chrome or Black? Jamie...Do you think the chrome with look better on a black flared car? happy11.gif

I think the chrome would look good on a black flared car in my garage dry.gif
Did you go pick up my car yet you dog? headbang.gif
tronporsche
Well, well, well. Mr. Mark. You dirty- son -of -a gun. I don't appreciate you sneaking up on me with this 914 monster you have created!!! I must say, you are quite a craftsman. We got to get together one day and hit Angeles Crest Forest. You'll love it, and really, really, appreciate the work you have just done. Congratulations, you did it ! the car looks greeeaaat !!!!
tronporsche
QUOTE(computers4kids @ Sep 1 2008, 09:34 AM) *

I've seen both the black and chrome on cars and I tend to lean toward the chrome. I don't care for the chrome fogs with the black grills as much. If you go black fogs and black grill that would look good...I think. The color of the car has alot to do with how it looks.

I'm going to paint my car the marathon blue metalic...the chrome I believe will look good...if not, I'll paint or power coat them black. You can always go to black not the other way around as easily.

On another note, did I mention I took my car down to the public scales an had it weighed? With the targa top and not installed pieces of chrome, the car weighs right at 2360lbs. Someday, I would like to weigh my stock 74.

Mark, Im sure you weighd the car with a full tank of gas, correct ? If so, than it is interesting for me to point out that my car weighs 180 pounds more than your car. My rims and adapters are killing me !!!!
computers4kids
QUOTE(tronporsche @ Sep 1 2008, 11:24 PM) *

QUOTE(computers4kids @ Sep 1 2008, 09:34 AM) *

Mark, Im sure you weighd the car with a full tank of gas, correct ? If so, than it is interesting for me to point out that my car weighs 180 pounds more than your car. My rims and adapters are killing me !!!!

Hey, I'm glad to see you are posting your car over here...what a sweet ride. I still love your rims!

The car was weighed with almost a full tank. Don't forget you have all your stereo stuff...that's alot of extra. Plus your diamond plate adds-up. You should weigh one of your rims, tire with an adapter just for curiosity.

Once again...your car looks great.
Mark
tronporsche
Hey Mark, one thing I meant to mention to you, I saw in one of your posts you were asking about the radiator fan being on all of the time, I also read in a book to have it on for a while after the car is turned off to prevent the valves from warping (or lifters). Anyways, that is a good reason to have a "fan switch" added......and the weighing the rim and adapter idea is a good idea !!!
computers4kids
Now that I am actually driving my car some, I realize the fan is acutally cycling on an off maintaing the car somewhere between 180-190. And actually the way it is wired, the fans stay on for 1-2 minutes after the car is turned off. However in my mind, I really don't understand how that could possibly help the engine since no water is circulating (typical Renedgade setup). Now if you had an electrical pump it would make more sense. All I know is it works perfectly...I'm happy.

I took the car to a local paint shop to get an estimate for a base coat clear coat nice paint job. Even after all the work, they still wanted $2400...ouch. I know my color but I'm not positive how to go with the paint. I'm thinking satin black on all the valances, but the bumpers are the stumbling block...body color or sating black is the question???
tronporsche
It's funny, no matter how much you bust your butt and get a perfect prep for these paint shop guys, they always find a way to say your work isn't good enough and they have so much more to do, for more money. You are in the game with doing the work yourself !!!! But if you don't feel like it, I am more than sure you can get one of these guys here to do it in thier own garage !!!.........I remember reading the fan staying on is to cool of the coolant, so it is just not sitting there at the high boiling temp. after the car is just turned off........I think the picture on the right hand side will work if that bumper is plastic or fiberglass and is not going to fade or peel. I can also tell you, a lot of sport cars also go with the mesh the same color as the car, kind of gives it a "euro roadster" look, I think. Just remember, if you are going to have that chrome grill, you are going to have to bring out more chrome on your car and rims IMO. My mesh is a smaller area and you have a longer, more attractive mesh, with that said, I am considering spraying mine black, but if you can zoom in on it here, it might help you to see the point I am trying to make.......Wait a minuite, I''m confused, didn't you just say you were going to paint the car Marathon blue metallic ??? Hey I've got an idea, if you go with the chrome look, I think one of those chrome luggage racks on the back trunk would compliment it idea.gif
rhodyguy
CHROME!! jerry broke the code with the z grill.
computers4kids
It's been over a month since I posted on my v-8 project thread...work, work, work!
Well, I had made a decision a month ago that is was just about time to paint the car...so I had to decide if I was going to make any major changes before it was painted. We all know what happens when you paint a car then have to do some major work...yep scratch, dent, oops. Anyway, I decided I wanted to go to 5 lug....yeah, yeah, I know--I wanted more wheel and tire choices.

So the last month I have accumulated the parts to convert the front over to 911 spindles, but I chose to keep my B&M calipers and porterfield pads--they worked awesome. Also picked-up new ball joints, Click to view attachmentand a turbo tie rod kit Click to view attachmentwhile I was in there. Thanks to another teener, I was also able to source a set of Boge Koni reds strut inserts for the front as well.Click to view attachment

For the rears, THOMAS drilled a set of hubs and pressed in studs for me. Click to view attachment I knew to freeze the new bearings, to install them Click to view attachment (not my freezer pic...no evidence for the wife LOL)., but all the threads that I had read, no one had mentioned about freezing the hubs as well when it was time to pull them into the bearings. Once again 914world to the rescue.
And after a mishap with the 5 lug drilling of my 4 lug zimmerman rotors, I went and picked-up a new set of 6 rotors. Click to view attachment I'll go ahead a drill the two centering holes for the small screws in the correct position before I install them (sixes have these two holes in different spots on the hubs).

The wheels I picked-up are a matched set of 1978 fuchs, 16 X 6 and 16 X 7s that are darn near perfect...and fully polished. The caps I bought from ebay and a set of pollished alloy lugs came from AutoAtlanta (still waiting for them).

For tires, I bought a set of BF Goodrich 205/45/16 Z rated sports from Costco. Great deal, they gave me an instant 60 dollar rebate from BF Goodrich and the tires ended up costing me 381 out the door balanced and all--which I felt was a great deal for a quality tire. Tip: Had to bring the rims in and say the tires were going on a 911 to get Costco to mount them (policy...only mount stock tires) LOL.

Hopefully the last of the odd ball pieces will arrive today so I can put it all back together...who want to be the lugs won't show-up?

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
computers4kids
Thanks to Bruce Stone and all his help, I completed my 5 lug conversion, front and rear. Click to view attachmentToday I was able to install the wheels and drop the car back on the ground. Still needs a front end alignment but it's ready to roll again.

The car sits with a slight rake, with the back slightly higher. Overall the car is now at a nice ride height, which is about 1/1/4 lower than it was when I had 15s with 60 series tires.

Click to view attachment
Lastly, also added a bit of more engine bling...Edlebrock Elite series valve covers.
Click to view attachment
computers4kids
Had some more time to work on the project so I worked on the front bumper and valance. Because of how I'm going to paint the car, I decided I needed some more chrome bling. Took off the painted front bumper and adapted a chrome one for my v8 grill and added a Renegade valance.

I have a decent chrome bumper for the back, but I'm hoping to find a gorgeous one.

Picked-up a 914VWPorsche rear badge, but unfortunately it's the wrong color...I need to paint it black or have it chromed.
JRust
Hey Mark when are you going to paint that car? Rims look great! Nice choice on the fuchs
computers4kids
QUOTE(JRust @ Oct 27 2008, 09:51 PM) *

Nice choice on the fuchs

Nice choice on the fuchs..no chrome, those are highly polished baby!

Yeah, it's getting close to getting some paint, but I want to sort everything out first. I even ditched the stock leather wheel for a sporty one...just for you. poke.gif
TC 914-8
Hey Mark,
I must say she's looking good. You should have her ready for the 09 ramble. I am originally from So. Cal, so I waiting to see when and where it's going to be. I might make it, on a trailer of course, ( Trailer queen).
But never the less I would love to see your car when it's done, you have done a fine job.

I did pick up a fuel reg. and gauge set up from Jegs, It dropped my pressure from 12psi to 5.5. I can't tell a big difference, but knowing the pressure is right makes me fell it's running better.

Tony
computers4kids
Well, I'm just about about of excuses why I haven't painted this tub. Other than having the sail chrome and window channel chrome detailed by a polisher, I'm stuck on how to paint it.

I intended to paint it marathon blue (sliver blue) but still thinking about...
  • paint all the valances semi-gloss black or go with body color?
  • shave the front turn signals or not?
  • Not to sure about the sail panels to paint body color, or cover with vinyl again?
  • Paint the top body color or black?
  • I'm stuck...can't seem to make a decision!
I need to make some decisions confused24.gif
Or...do I just fear finishing this project because I know I'll need to start another stirthepot.gif
JRust
With the silver blue maybe go with something besides black for the trim. Maybe a charcoal grey or something? Then again silver & black does look pretty dang good. Get your photoshop skills going & see what you like idea.gif
computers4kids
I celebrated Veteran's Day today by shaving my turn signal indicators. Yup...welded them right up and the antenna hole too! I think I'm finally starting to get the hang of welding! welder.gif About time!
Click to view attachment
stewteral
Hey Computer Skids:

I'll offer the answers I can. I started my 914-V8 with Renegade and found that Scottie & crew don't know what they are doing, are NOT car-guys and turn out CRAP from their shop. I have met Scottie and chatted twice and know him to be a USED CAR SALESMAN. Did you know in 2002, there was guy in LA who ran a site for a year just to show the bad work that Renegade did..and he was a specialty car sales shop who had planned on buying 15 Renegade cars.
YES, I am dumping on Renegade, but only to keep you from getting MORE screwed than you are from buying their kit. I really hate dishonest people.
I built my car completely myself and not a SINGLE Renegade part in it! I have a built 383 (500 HP) + 930 trans + 12" x 1.25" Wilwood rotor & 4-piston calipers.
I also welded in a complete rollcage which is a great investment for safety and stiffening the chassis!

Your questions:

There seems to be plenty of room to leave the battery tray in the OEM position, why do many move the location to the trunk?
==> The battery is put in the trunk to help balance the rear weight bias. However,
there are a couple problems: most people put the radiator directly behind the radiator to bake in 200 degree heat...What are they thinkin? If you have room in the engine bay or a corner of the trunk, it will be a great solution. I have tried the trunk and now have it in the passenger footwell, but could not feel the difference in how the car handles....so don't sweat the trunk.

I have the Renegade wiring harness but no diagram...can someone send me a copy?
==> Sorry, I did my own wiring.

The exhaust is headers with twin turbo exhaust. Do you remove the stock exhaust heat sheild...it fits either way. Is it good to leave it or remove it?
==> While I have cut out 1/2 the trunk to install 180 degree headers and don't know exactly what you have, I would recommend KEEPING the heatshields.
There is a LOT of heat in the engine bay and the shields may help from melting
plug wires. I finally had to run mine UNDER the headers.
NOTE: Even though the engine is water cooled, I learned the 30% of the cooling comes from AIR COOLING. On my car, I have completely removed the engine cover and made a replacement completely out of screen. If your 305 is mild, that
won't be necessary, but I would recommend attaching a piece of sheetmetal extending DOWN from the engine crossbar that will force air from under the car
up across the engine and OUT into the LOW pressure area created by the Notch-back roof design. Small cost and effort should be helpful in the Visalia summer heat.

Where do you source your power for the front 'dual fan radiator?' From what I have read it needs to be powered all the time, not switched. Is there a source to tap into in the front trunk or do you run a dedicated line...if so how heavy?
==> I boot-legged power from the under-dash power-distribution and fuse assembly. 2 screws drops it our and you can tap off it, run the power forward to a separate dual fuse block and then wire to each fan. With this approach, if 1 fan fails, you will still have 1 working.

I would really love to see pictures of your V-8 914 front end so see what kind of setup you did for valance and cutting the bumper! I'm good on the fender cuts.
==> Since my car is a barely-street car/track car, I bought the fiberglass nose piece (from a shop that is now gone) and cut as much nose out as I could to get as big of an area as I could. If you can achieve an opening the is 50% of radiator area, you are in great shape. Another thing my engineer bud beat on me about:
to SHROUD the airflow to the radiator and out. I just used sheet aluminum. I exhausted out the bottom of the trunk behind my spoiler (low pressure area) instead of out the wheel wells, but both approaches seem to worl.

Stupid Question: The renegade recommends using #8 1/2 metal screws to attach the brackets that hold the coolant hoses to the bottom of the car. It mentions to be careful not to puncture the fuel lines in the tunnel. How can you tell if your'e going to hit a fuel line or not? ...other than just hoping and guessing?
==> the easy answer is to space the hoses OUTBOARD of the center tunnel. However, this is an area of my BIGGEST disagreement with sloppy Renegade: what happens when you drag the bottom of the car over a bad driveway?
I installed 1-1/2" copper tubing and soldered bends on their path UP the central tunnel, up and under the gas tank into the front trunk..there is room and it wasn't hard to do! You could also run 1-1/2" rubber hose and get it done faster. This approach takes cutting access in the engine-bay firewall and then holes through to the trunk. To get access, I cut open the top of the tunnel (and cleaned out 30 years of rust and gunk) and replaced it with Alu sheet.
BTW: I am using a Mezier Remote Electric water pump which was cheaper than the Renegade mechanical thing. The advantage is that when you are idling in traffic, the electric is pumping at max rate! Constant optimal cooling!

If this is help for you, great. If you would like to email me direct, I'd be glad to tell how I solved problems and have pics to show.
Best of luck,
Terry
stewteral@verizon.net

computers4kids
Terry,
Thank you for all your comments and suggestions. I will probably follow-up on your idea to force air upward into the engine compartment to better cool the engine and disperse some of the heat build-up.

To date, I have move passed many of the questions that I had earlier on. Eventually, I'll probably do something different for the water hoses as you mentioned.

I still need to do something to improve shifting (stock 914 linkage sucks). Likewise, it would be a good idea for me to eventually re-gear my transmission with some taller gears.

If you so inclined, I would love to see some pics of your 914.
Thanks again,
Mark

JRust
I for one have been very happy with Renegade hybrids. Are they perfect probably not but they provide a very good service. Especially for those that are not gifted in the fabrication department. I am neither a great wrench nor a real genious when it comes to working on my 914's. Still they spoke to me in terms I could understand. I had no problem with the instalation of their products. I have not done a complete v8 kit thru them. Altough I did buy their radiator kit & am absolutely thrilled with it's performance & fit. Even a self proclaimed idiot like myself was able to install it screwy.gif .

Though I can & do apreciate your skill Terry. I think you could have accomplished the same in your post without the negative comments towards Rengade, their product & staff. Let's keep things positive biggrin.gif I to would love pics of your work & your car. I have a buick 215 in my 70. I've got quite a list of things I wanted to work on this winter. It is kind of on the backburner as I bought a 74 creamsicle. It is taking my time & money instead of the v8 at this point headbang.gif

Mark I can't wait to see your car once you paint it chowtime.gif
TC 914-8
Looks like it's time for Terry to start his own V-8 thread. thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
I have a Rod Simpson kit( so I can't bag on Renegade) with the radiator lines running thru the rocker panels, I rarely see temps over 180-200. I have seen the electric water pump and think that is the way to go if/ when my side pump fails, also a delay off is even a bigger benefit. I also like the idea of engine compartment baffels. I also stand behind the theory of the low pressure area behind the rear window causing an "Up Flow" thru the engine compartment. I had a side scoop with a fan blowing up thru an intercooler on a supercharged V-6 I built a long time ago. Worked like a champ. You could reach over the back with the top off and feel the heat when crusing down the road.

Mark you have come a long way, it's funny to see your questions being answered 6 mos later. At the time it was the hurtle of the day. Now it's all fluff and soon to be polish. Can't wait to see your car painted.

Tony
LvSteveH
QUOTE(stewteral @ Nov 11 2008, 07:39 PM) *

Hey Computer Skids:

I'll offer the answers I can. I started my 914-V8 with Renegade and found that Scottie & crew don't know what they are doing, are NOT car-guys and turn out CRAP from their shop. I have met Scottie and chatted twice and know him to be a USED CAR SALESMAN. Did you know in 2002, there was guy in LA who ran a site for a year just to show the bad work that Renegade did..and he was a specialty car sales shop who had planned on buying 15 Renegade cars.
YES, I am dumping on Renegade, but only to keep you from getting MORE screwed than you are from buying their kit. I really hate dishonest people.
I built my car completely myself and not a SINGLE Renegade part in it! I have a built 383 (500 HP) + 930 trans + 12" x 1.25" Wilwood rotor & 4-piston calipers.
I also welded in a complete rollcage which is a great investment for safety and stiffening the chassis!

"However, this is an area of my BIGGEST disagreement with sloppy Renegade: what happens when you drag the bottom of the car over a bad driveway?
I installed 1-1/2" copper tubing and soldered bends on their path UP the central tunnel, up and under the gas tank into the front trunk..there is room and it wasn't hard to do! You could also run 1-1/2" rubber hose and get it done faster. This approach takes cutting access in the engine-bay firewall and then holes through to the trunk. To get access, I cut open the top of the tunnel (and cleaned out 30 years of rust and gunk) and replaced it with Alu sheet.
BTW: I am using a Mezier Remote Electric water pump which was cheaper than the Renegade mechanical thing. The advantage is that when you are idling in traffic, the electric is pumping at max rate! Constant optimal cooling!"

stewteral@verizon.net

There's one in every crowd rolleyes.gif Maybe he wasn't held enough as a child?

I've lost track of how many V8 conversions I've owned, but I have four right now. Needless to say I've seen the good, the bad, and the ugly.

I've probably bought 10 or so conversions that were already done. Two cars were actually built in house at Renegade before I worked there. Of those 10 cars that were already converted, only the two that were converted at Renegade could be driven reliably without ANY additional work.

The first 914 was converted by Renegade in 1990 then in 2006 it had a tall ratio 915 installed and had a few updates. No problems at all. It might as well have been a honda.

The other Renegade in house car I bought was a 911. Basically someone had bought it already converted and it went to Renegade for inspection. Virtually everything had to be redone. Shortly after Renegade finished it the guy needed money for a pending adoption, and I got a nice car at a great price.

When the car was originally brought to Renegade it ended up on the "Wall of shame". For those who don't know, the "Wall of shame" is reserved for conversions that went wrong. That car is actually still on Renegade's website in that section. Ultimately Renegade replaced the front pan, upgraded the cooling, fuel tank, engine, and conversion components. The end result was a very fast car that ran great. I was very happy with the work that Renegade did, and again, that was before I worked there.

Even though the Renegade small block chevy kit has been around for 20 years it has undergone improvements along the way. It currently incorporates the same floating radiator design that the LS1 kit uses, although the flow characteristics are different. The kit is easy to install, well made, and most importantly it just works. The quality of the machined components is world class.

If you're the type of guy that would rather "build everything yourself" you can do that. Some guy built a remarkable Lamborghini replica in his basement. Of course it took him 10 years and he could have just bought a real countach, but he did it on his own terms. If they are properly installed the kits are in no way sloppy or poorly engineered. One real problem is that often a conversion will be represented as a "Renegade conversion" when it actually only has a Renegade adapter plate that's 20 years old. Everything else might be cobbled together.

Every in house car that Renegade builds is done to the customer's specifications. Some guys just want a basic driver that's safe and reliable while others want something show worthy. Most people fall somewhere in the middle. So, as a consequence, some cars are going to be nicer than others. Plenty of jobs get turned down because the scope of work needed exceeds what the customer can either justify of afford. Right now there's a 1997 993 twin turbo getting upgraded to an LS3 and a 1991 928 getting a 640hp LS7, so there’s plenty of high end work going on.

Suggesting that everyone should run their cooling lines inside the center tunnel leaves me scratching my head. First and foremost, that is really invasive, especially for a kit customer. Secondly, your fuel lines run in the center tunnel and putting them in a confined space with 180 degree coolant is a bad idea. Not to mention how much more heat will migrate into the cabin.

I'll be the first to say running the coolant hoses on the underside of the car isn't the most elegant solution, but it works great, it's easy to do, and it's inexpensive. The underside of a 914 has two recesses along the center tunnel that guides the hose and provides 1/2" more ground clearance. If it's done properly it really doesn't look bad. In terms of function, it's a very direct route that minimizes restriction and most importantly it doesn't trap air.

I know of only one person who had an issue with hoses under the car. He didn't see a VERY large speedbump and nearly high-centered his car. It bent one of the hose retainers over and restricted the flow. He reached under the car, bent it back, and went on his way. Regardless of whether you have hoses under the car or not, you're going to look under the car when you hit something like that. Gates green stripe is extremely tuff stuff. Anything that would get through it would probably compromise a copper or aluminum solid line as well. Of course you can't do a quick roadside repair on a solid line.

Unless there’s a back-story behind the animosity, I just don’t get it. The first time I visited Renegade five years ago I was very impressed with the quality and attention to detail. They used almost all new hardware, even on the transmission covers. I’m not saying Renegade is perfect, like any business they are only as good as the guys doing the work. Several previous employees are members of 914world, and I know for a fact they are very competent mechanics and fabricators.

Everyone here loves what they do, even the office manager drives a 914 every day. You won't find many places with more "car guys" (and gals) than Renegade.

Rather than stir something up why don’t you post some pics and details of your car so everyone can admire your work?

TC 914-8
Here- Here, good job on the rebuttal.

Now let mark have his thread back. stirthepot.gif

Let's see the new paint.
Toast
Sorry TC. I don't normally do this, so I apologize to you because you tried to Un-hijack this thread. And my apologies to Mark for contiuning the hijack of your very informative thread.

stewteral,

I work for Renegade Hybrids. I am the female that Steve mentioned in his post that ones a 914, which has been my daily driver for the last 5 years. I have been a 914 community member since 2001 and many people here at World know that I would not work for a dishonest, non-reputable company, espically in the Porsche industry.

I am very offended by your statements. Renegade has very knowledgable technicians and do not do sloppy, short-cutting work. I see first hand daily the work that is done on the cars here, and the customers dive away very happy. I know of NO "USED CARS" being sold from here.

The gentleman you mentioned from 2002 was upset because we posted pictures of his car on Renegades website "Wall Of Shame" forum, quote/unquote "without his consent". That was the way he brought the car to us, NOT the work we did on his car.

Enough.
I dont dispute things here and never have. If you want to post pictures of the "sloppy" work that you think was done by Renegade Hybrids, then maybe we will have something to go by. Also, post pics of the wonderful work that you bragged about. Better yet, drive it to the next driving event and i'll tell you what I think in person.

Melba toast.gif

Now can we please get back to Mark's V8 progress thread? aktion035.gif
computers4kids
The day has come....yep, time to get some paint! I really had to push myself to make it happen...kinda caught-up in how to paint it. Anyway, once I decided on the color scheme, the rest was easy.thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
Click to view attachment
Hopefully will have some pics someday.
thumb3d.gif
TC 914-8
Good luck Mark, you don't waist any time. What color are you going with?

Keep us posted.
computers4kids
In between rain showers, I brought home my 914 from the paint shop. It's pretty gloomy here and getting dark, but here is a couple pictures to get the idea. I had it painted the original color(silver) but for a "74", not 75 which is the year of this car.
L96 Marathon Blue Metallic (base coat, clear coat). In the sun the paint is just beautiful. I'm really looking forward putting all the "bling" back on it. I had much of the the chrome on the car, including the window bars polished.
Click to view attachment
The really cool thing about picking the car up today, is that 29 years ago today, my wife and I were married and our honeymoon car was a 74 marathon blue 914...how about that for coincidence. I didn't plan it that way. OK...enough about cars, off for a dinner date with my honey. grouphug.gif
JRust
Lookin sweet! It will be even better once everything is put back together. Keep the pics coming

Hope you take your wife somewhere nice! Congrats on 29 years biggrin.gif
jim_hoyland
Very nice Mark ! Can't wait to see your work of art. Try to make the New Years Hangover Run
wallys914
Where did you get the paint done?

When I bought my car 1 years ago the date it has to be re-registered is my anniversary with my wife! Strange Shit....I had to get the car, i can never forget the registration LOL
echocanyons
Lookin' good!

driving.gif

Congrats on the anniversary too!
TC 914-8
Hey Mark,

Wow lookin sharp. beerchug.gif Take your time with putting all the bling back on, give the paint some time to cure. I'm not too far away from you in Sac. too bad I can't go south and see it in person. I can't wait to see it all together, I think your a canidate for COTM, soon.
Congrats on the Car, Your annaversary, and most of all having a 914, 29 years ago.

Tony
Coy
Mark,

That looks really great!!

Congrats! smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif
computers4kids
16 months after I drug my 75 project home from Oregon and a few engine diversions (subaru and big4...couldn't decide), my V-8 project is pretty much done....well, :Qarl:as much as any 914 is laugh.gif
I still need to rechrome the back bumper, install my AC unit and install my new door inside sill trim, but hey...close enough. Additional "now painted thread"
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
JRust
Looking absolutely sweet piratenanner.gif !

Congrats Mark. Your 914-8 is as nice as I knew it would turn out. Still not sure I like the polished wheels over polished lips & painted centers. It does look very nice on your car though. You ass end seems like it sits kinda high? Maybe it just looks that way to me as mine sags a little dry.gif
marks914
Mark,
That looks just right. The only thing you may want to do down the road is the tall gearing. That was the best thing I did for my car. Brad Mayeur did mine for an excellent price. (around $1300.00)

Nice job

Mark
computers4kids
QUOTE(marks914 @ Dec 27 2008, 02:23 PM) *

Mark,
That looks just right. The only thing you may want to do down the road is the tall gearing. That was the best thing I did for my car. Brad Mayeur did mine for an excellent price. (around $1300.00)

Nice job

Mark

Thanks...yeah, first gear is worthless and could use at least a taller 5th for the freeway. I figure when I can justify the expense (not right now) I'll have the gears spread out and a taller 5th.

PS Do you recognize your handywork on the gauges...they look great and stock!
Thanks again,
Mark
computers4kids
Thanks to one of our member vendors, Raul, I was able to install his reproduction door sills...a nice finishing touch.
Click to view attachment

One of the things that has been bothering me is the noise level at an idle and the resonation in the cab below 2,000 rpm. Currently, I have new turbo mufflers with the pipes going up and over the axles after dumping out of the headers. There isn't much room to play with for larger mufflers or anything else....so I started doing a lot of reading on the net about sound waves that accompany exhaust gasses. I didn't want to kill to many horses but wanted it quieter.

As a result, I decided to have a crossover pipe, sometimes called an H pipe installed between the two exhaust branches. There is a lot more to it that just welding in a pipe that connects the two, length, size of pipe, and position along the exhaust route all play into it. Now on most cars there is plenty of room...not is a v-8 914! My crossover pipe begins by branching off the elbow on the high side of exhaust pipe that goes over the axles. It then heads towards the rear of the car above the turbo mufflers across the rear of the car and then back up the other side. A junction was placed in the middle of the rear of the car so when I need to work on one side of the engine etc, I can disconnect and drop the exhaust either the left or right sides.

Bottom line, what a huge difference the pipe made...it did exactly what I had hoped for! My exhaust is still throaty, but mellowed and the resonation is gone at all rpms...that was a bigge. I could not tell any performance change, but the car sounds sweet and perfect for driving now...even my wife will come along grouphug.gif
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentIPB Image
computers4kids
I can't believe what a good chrome shop can do with metal! I took my rear bumper to them to be re-chromed and have some ripples and dings removed...the bumper came back like it was new. I know where the issues were and I can't even tell.

Also here is a tip to save everyone some $. My plastic chrome bumper plug needed re-chroming. Many great tips came in from other members how you could go to a hardware store and get a plug cheaply. Yes the cheap part is true, but the chrome is cheesy. A tip from my chrome guy led me to the "Harley Davidson" shop in town. They have some quality chrome plugs for $2 out the door (item #GW43578) that when snapped into place looks perfect.Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.