Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Creamsicle resto thread- A little sad tonight
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
JRust
Good eye I did clean up the tin too! You may have had your hands on those tits but they are mine now lol-2.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(JRust @ Nov 27 2009, 08:19 PM) *

Good eye I did clean up the tin too! You may have had your hands on those tits but they are mine now lol-2.gif

Ohhh... This is awkward. Jamie is with my ex... mad.gif
computers4kids
Jamie,
The car is looking great--love the rear picture shot you just posted. Is that bumper top one of Mikey's? Eventually, I'll have to break down and buy both of his front and rear bumper tops.

Keep the momentum going... piratenanner.gif
JRust
Nope the rear isn't one of Marks. Found a damn near perfect one at Conedodgers Sac swap I went to last spring. I do have his front bumper top on it though. I also have some of his seals to put on. I should make decent progress today. I actually have most the saturday open. So I plan to spend alot of it in the garage biggrin.gif . Probably get my tranny all mated up. I'd like to get the ss HE & exhaust all on too.

Is it easier to put those on once the motor & tranny are bolted in the car? I think I usually put them on after but it's been a few years. Be nice to have it all bolted together.
computers4kids
QUOTE(JRust @ Nov 28 2009, 07:34 AM) *

Is it easier to put those on once the motor & tranny are bolted in the car? I think I usually put them on after but it's been a few years. Be nice to have it all bolted together.

Probably just personal preference. I like to put everything on the motor, trans, exhaust, everything and lift it up as a whole unit. I hate working under the car--but that's just me. You might wait on putting the carbs on though, unless your OK with lifting the car that much higher.
JRust
I got a few things done today but not as much as I'd hoped. I needed a stud puller so I decided a trip to Harbor freight was in order. Of course it is abut 40 minutes from my house. Once there of course they didn't carry a stud puller. So I bought the ATV jack alot of guys on here use for their motor installs.

Then stopped at the local VW parts place & picked up a few gaskets I was missing for my carbs. Also stopped at Knechts for some blue locktite. Ended up being a good 2 1/2 hour trip. Oh & the local tool shop for a stud puller.

Once I got back home I put together my new jack. Transfered my engine onto it. Installed my newly painted engine bar. Added the studs I was missing on the case below the flywheel for the tranny. I wet sanded some of the parts I painted & added another coat. Got my tranny out & started cleaning it up. I know I pressure washed it before Dr. Evil's tranny clinic? I didn't realize how much crap was still on there. So I'll be spendingsome time cleaning that up some more. Just wouldn't do to mate it to my nice fresh motor. Got clutch, PP & flywheel all ready to bolt up.
Hey what is the torque for the flywheel bolts?

Then I'll bolt my tranny up. Install my SS HE & exhaust. Hope to do some of it tommorow afternoon biggrin.gif I didn't get as much done as I wanted today. Still it was a really nice to have the day dedicated to my 914.
ConeDodger
By the way, I will be holding the swap meet again this coming spring! Probably March or April...

914werke
QUOTE(JRust @ Nov 27 2009, 08:08 PM) *

I also started getting my carbs put on my motor. I am missing a couple gaskets though. Is the gasket that goes between the carbs & the Manifolds one piece or 2?

Carbs blink.gif huh.gif Blasphemy
JRust
I am putting carbs on only to break in my motor. MY FI setup I haven't actually used. Don't know the condition of anything of it. So I will get it running with the carbs I got from you Rich. Then I will be putting my FI on it later. I have pretty much everything for my FI. Just didn't want to troubleshoot the FI when doing the break in of my motor.
JRust
Put on a few more pieces today. Foglight grills, emblems, Flywheel, Clutch & Pressure plate. I started to mate up the tranny but got interupted. So that will wait for another day. I'm hoping to get one night this week to work on it some more.

Busy week with Basketball for my girls. They have games tuesday, friday & Saturday. My son also has Bball practice wed & friday which I got roped into coaching (a first for me). Allready had one parent complain after our first practice that things weren't very organized dry.gif . This after I met with the parent's before our practice to tell them this was my first year coaching & to bear with me as I learn headbang.gif .
zymurgist
It's coming along nicely!
championgt1
Your car looks amazing! drooley.gif
6freak
piratenanner.gif biggrin.gif nice work Jamie smilie_pokal.gif
montoya 73 2.0
Jamie - Tonight you should be watching the Civil War game instead of working on the car! We need your support!

Go Beavers!!!!!
JRust
I finally got some work done today.

Installed my new targa seal! That is one slow PITA of a job. Turned out nice though.

Installed me windshield trim. It was used trim & I can't say I really like how it turned out. It looks okay from a distance but up close it's not that good. Guy I had install the windshield did me no favors. Still it's on & isn't going to get much better without new trim & possible reinstalling the windshield. With all new clips headbang.gif

I worked on my interior some more. Got my dash gages reinstalled along with the lower dash. Was prepping to put the plates on the door jams but couldn't find my gamn rivet gun. I could swear I bought one just for the job too. Oh well I am sure it will turn up once I go buy another one dry.gif

was going to install my rear wndow again but turns out the 2 I have are scratched. I am going to have Morph hopefully bring me one tommorow. Otherwise I am going to put a scratched one in. One is right behind the passenger seat anyway so it won't really be noticable anyway.

It was really nice to have my saturday to work on my car. It's been quite a while biggrin.gif
morph
That LE is a really clean looking car.
Nice to see ya today
james
effutuo101
Nice! time for some Beer!
JRust
QUOTE(morph @ Feb 21 2010, 05:17 PM) *

That LE is a really clean looking car.
Nice to see ya today
james

Thanks James. Good to see you too as always. Here is one picture with my gages & lower dash back on. Nothing to special but hey it's a new picture confused24.gif
I also managed to put 2 scratches in my freshly painted gage console headbang.gif I'll get it all touched up fine. Along with touching up the screws so they are black again. Was going to take one of my newly installed targa seal. Forgot to charge my dang camera though. I was lucky to get this pic before it died dry.gif
JRust
Snapped a picture with the new targa seal installed & the top on. Progress has been slow but I am ready to get going again smile.gif
RJMII
yeah get your butt in gear! LOL
montoya 73 2.0
Looking good Jamie! You got little less than two months to get her done son! I gotta get my ass going also. Just ordered a bunch of stuff from Morph for my interior.
JRust
I got quite a bit done today. Put my rear window back in (did it a while ago & pulled it as I just didn't get it quite right). Put all trim pieces back on.
Installed the center console, backpad & seats
Center cushion (thanks Morph) .
Installed inner door seals (thanks Mikey914) Have the outer door seals to do
Installed door threshold plates (Thanks Dave)

Its been so long I couldn't find some parts. Luckily I have my 73 here to swipe pieces/hardware from.

I've got my door panels all ready to go but need to get endcaps & the triangle window seal from Mikey914. So those will go on along with the door panels.

I will have a delay installing my engine. Just not happy with the battery tray install or the area around it. I'm going to pull it off & redo it. I'm also going to replace the seal channel below the batter tray. It had some rust & has some little chunks missing. I'm going to get that all cleaned up as it just pisses me off sad.gif That area should have been taken care of by my paint guy. At least it will be done right.

Overall it was a kick ass day. It was beautiful & sunny. I spent the day in & out of the garage between 914's biggrin.gif
championgt1
Looking good! Are you going to pull the fresh air box and put in a black screen?
KELTY360
What happened to your clutch pedal? Is this one of those rare Sporto LEs? poke.gif

Lookin' great Jamie.
montoya 73 2.0
Is it just me or do LE's not have seat belts? Just an observation buddy! poke.gif
JRust
The clutch pedal is onthe floor as it isn't hooked up. Yes no seat belts yet poke.gif . I did say the interior was almost finished rolleyes.gif . I also need to buy some speakers to fit the stock speaker grills.

I also put the new letters & rain tray on the engine lid. The letters don't show that great in the pic but it's looks great.
bcaschera
I never get tired of looking at these things wub.gif

great job cheer.gif
JRust
Passenger door finished! Guess I need to clean the lense on my camera. LOL

Still need to put in the seatbelts. Find my heater lever & paint it red again. Put on drivers door panel. Working on my engine bay this weekend. Going to be a bigger job than I was figuring dry.gif . What else is new confused24.gif
effutuo101
Very Nice! I look forward to seeing this in person again.
JRust
I spent most my day saturday & a few hours today on the creamsicle. Man it was a gorgeous weekend. I got more of the interior finished. Finished the drivers door. My drivers exterior door handle was broken. I pulled apart 3 different door handles to make one. Was able to piece one together for it & rekey it to match. I spent a fair amount of time screwing with those before I got it right. Got a set of speakers out of my 73 that were still good so my stock radio is all set.

I'm not sure what these wires go to? Check the pics below. This isn't long enough to make it to the center console defrost stuff?

I also added the liscense place light to the rear. Put the aluminum channel on the door frame where the window meets when close. I need a couple seals for those. Calling Mikey914 smile.gif .

I spent time getting the FI off my 73 along with a few other pieces. I'v got to start getting my FI together for this motor. Next on my list is to replace the channel in the engine bay for the seal. Just about to the point of just having to install the drivetrain blink.gif
Sleepin
Aren't those the defroster and interior light wires?
JRust
QUOTE(Sleepin @ Apr 18 2010, 08:19 PM) *

The interior backpad lights are different & there also. Just didn't think it was the defrost as they aren't long enough to reach that confused24.gif
computers4kids
QUOTE(JRust @ Apr 18 2010, 08:22 PM) *

QUOTE(Sleepin @ Apr 18 2010, 08:19 PM) *

The interior backpad lights are different & there also. Just didn't think it was the defrost as they aren't long enough to reach that confused24.gif

Looks to me like the wires that plug into the center console harness.
Root_Werks
Wow Jamie, this is coming along really nicely!

Nice work. smilie_pokal.gif
Limesoda
Looks really good. I am inspired. I'm still waiting to get my car but next weekend I'll be a very happy camper. Keep up the good work!

JRust
Okay I've got some more done. I wasn't hapy with how the battery tray area was done. Just wasn't treated before it was shot. There was some rust in spots. Mostly where the battery tray met the wall. I sanded, cleaned up, treated, primed & reshot the area. Looks much better now. It being mothers day I doubt I will get much time in the garage today. If I can sneak down for a bit. I am going to install the engine bay seals.

I've got my motor almost set to go in. My distibutor was off a good 1/4 turn which is where my buddy set the timing. I've got to fix that & am reading up on how. Any tips appreciated. I keep thinking of my dang toyota years ago when I got my distributor off by a tooth or 2. Little different setup here & I haven't got my brain wrapped around it yet. I know it's easy enough. Just need to get it through my thick skull smile.gif .

Tommorow the motor goes in piratenanner.gif

Here are pics of my motor ready to go. Just waiting to bolt up my muffler which will be here tommorow. Thanks Rich beer.gif
computers4kids
QUOTE(JRust @ May 9 2010, 11:14 AM) *

Here are pics of my motor ready to go. Just waiting to bolt up my muffler which will be here tommorow. Thanks Rich beer.gif

Jamie, did you forget a part happy11.gif poke.gif
JRust
That is a spare I got out for someone dry.gif . There are more pieces going on for sure before I put it in. It going to happen tommorow though
jcambo7
popcorn[1].gif
Root_Werks
Nice!

Looks really clean.

Even after I cleaned my hell hole area, painted etc. I want to do a little touch up again myself. Seems you can never do enough cleaning or painting in those areas.
JRust
Well the motor didn't make it in today. Spent a little more time painting & sanding the battery tray area. Still not quite as nice as I want it but it will do. I've got the motor mostly ready. I have all the fuel hoses in place. I need to get all the vacum lines in place. I can do that in the car too. Then figure out where all the wiring goes again. Sure wish I had someone with a 73-74 2.0 FI car close by that could come over for a while. Always nice to have a car to compare wiring & misc things too. It was a productive day for the most part. Had a couple parts runs mixed between everything. Pushing my time envelope but such is life.

Oh yeah I had Fed Ex drop by my nice used Banana muffler. I have that on too smile.gif (thanks for getting that to me so quick Rich)
AZ914
Nice work Jamie! Think you'll make it by WCR?
JRust
QUOTE(AZ914 @ May 11 2010, 06:20 AM) *

Nice work Jamie! Think you'll make it by WCR?

I'm pretty sure but if it isn't quite right I'm towing it down anyway. Might need some fine tuning barring some catastrophy. Guess I'll have a better idea at the end of the day idea.gif
914werke
smile.gif
tod914
Looks super nice!!! Great work.
JRust
Motor is in piratenanner.gif

Now I'm taking a break for lunch. I'll be back down hooking everything up after lunch. I've gone from being nervous to fire it up to TERRIFIED WTF.gif
Root_Werks
Light that thing up! piratenanner.gif
KELTY360
Attaboy! smilie_pokal.gif
DanT
that Banana looks just right in your "sicle" smile.gif
Rand
"We're not gonna fall for the banana in the tail pipe." tongue.gif
Nice work Jamie. Looking forward to seeing it in person.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.