Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Creamsicle resto thread- A little sad tonight
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
billh1963
So.....sold?????????
Eric_Shea
QUOTE(sda4property@gmail.com @ Nov 19 2012, 11:31 AM) *

No BS: I bought a bumble Bee this year. I did not buy the "Car". I bought the COA & VIN that match the engine and body. Get what I am saying. Without the correct vin & COA from Porsche...All you got is a regular good ol 914.

Even with a COA... All you got is a regular good ol 914 (with a paint job)! biggrin.gif

Congrats Jamie!
FourBlades

Well bought! piratenanner.gif

These are cool looking and rare cars.

John
JRust
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Nov 27 2012, 04:47 PM) *

QUOTE(sda4property@gmail.com @ Nov 19 2012, 11:31 AM) *

No BS: I bought a bumble Bee this year. I did not buy the "Car". I bought the COA & VIN that match the engine and body. Get what I am saying. Without the correct vin & COA from Porsche...All you got is a regular good ol 914.

Even with a COA... All you got is a regular good ol 914 (with a paint job)! biggrin.gif

Congrats Jamie!

LOL! Good one Eric lol-2.gif
Kirmizi
Glad it finally worked out Jamie!
Have you found another one yet? biggrin.gif
Mike
tumamilhem
Jamie, buy mine! biggrin.gif
JeffBowlsby

shades.gif 'scuze me...?
Eric_Shea
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Nov 27 2012, 10:34 PM) *

shades.gif 'scuze me...?

Sorry... "And a spoiler". biggrin.gif
sixnotfour
And blacked out trim..
jersey914
Congrats, nice car, rare find!
JRust
Tonight is bitter sweet. It has been a long road since my restoration began. So many headache's & a few nightmare experiences with shops. I am happy to have this chapter of my life with my restoration come to a close. It was really hard to see it go. I am still incredibly worried something will happen in transport. Or the new owner Tommy won't be happy with it. I have always been open & honest with my car. Probably to my own detriment. I would rather talk something down & have someone be really happy. Than to praise it & have some disappointment.

Will I do one again? I dont think so to this extent. At least not a bone stock resto. I think I'll stick to my conversions. I'm going to get my v8 car setup & just enjoy driving my 914 again. I think I have had enough of the multiple 914 projects. I have 3 right now but really the v8 is the only one that is staying.

So no regrets here but I am a little sad tonight to have my Creamsicle gone for good. I am glad it is going to a fellow 914world member. I hope he will enjoy it for many years to come. Thanks to everyone who has helped me over the years with this project. There are to many to thanks but I will give a big shout out to my buddy Mark at Original customs. pray.gif He was my saving grace on more than one occasion. So much so I made the 9 hour drive to his place I think 3 different times for work.

To the 914 world community to whom I owe so much. My sincere thanks wub.gif Click to view attachment
JeffBowlsby
Noooooo...they didnt put that on the transport backwards did they....I hear the rear windows can come out at highway speeds.
billh1963
And open transport as well!!!! This car deserved the extra money for enclosed transport ....I hope it makes it okay
computers4kids
Well, Jamie I'm happy for you. I bet it was hard to see it go, even though it was the right thing to do for you. I'm excited to see your V8 go through the transformation. piratenanner.gif Are you going to paint it black? I sure miss working on a project car. Linda and I will be traveling through the NE this Summer and hopefully we can connect. At Thanksgiving I met my niece's boyfriend who is a bio engineer student at San Diego State...and guess where he lived and worked until recently...Yup, Corvalis. He worked at your HP plant. It's a small world. I showed him a picture of a 914 and asked if he had seen any of those running around his home town. smile.gif
Mark
KELTY360
QUOTE(Kirmizi @ Nov 27 2012, 08:28 PM) *

Glad it finally worked out Jamie!
Have you found another one yet? biggrin.gif
Mike

More like has another one found him yet? biggrin.gif

Way to go Jamie! Bet you can't get down to just one. shades.gif
JRust
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Dec 7 2012, 08:22 AM) *

Ironically I bought a Triumph TR7 convertible last night. It has a Buick 215 v8 in it & I couldn't resist. Motor is built & I am supposed to get the dyno of 260hp to the rear wheels. Guy had it sitting in his garage parked since 1995. The body has a few dings but has NO rust! Overall it is in good shape but I admit it was a weak moment for me to go look at a car. If it wasn't for the motor I would not have bothered

On the transport I wasn't thrilled with anything about it. It is just temporary. They were only hauling it 120 miles to Vancouver. Where it is getting loaded on a Semi for the trip to Florida. Not enclosed transport there either but better than last night's.
rhodyguy
a TR7? shouldn't that be a TR8? good luck with that one jamie. are you going to build a wedge shaped garage?

k
JRust
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Dec 7 2012, 09:54 AM) *

a TR7? shouldn't that be a TR8? good luck with that one jamie. are you going to build a wedge shaped garage?

k

It is a wanna'b TR8. It is a conversion which seemed fitting to me last night
JRust
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Dec 6 2012, 11:24 PM) *

Noooooo...they didnt put that on the transport backwards did they....I hear the rear windows can come out at highway speeds.

Yeah it was a fiasco with those guys last night. They came & left to go get another car. Then came back to load again. I was not there when they put it in place. I had planned to be but they were gone for a good hour so I left to go grab the TR7 I bought. When I came back they had it on with the other 3 cars behind it. To say I was less than thrilled with it would be an understatement mad.gif
KELTY360
QUOTE(JRust @ Dec 7 2012, 10:34 AM) *

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Dec 7 2012, 08:22 AM) *

Ironically I bought a Triumph TR7 convertible last night. It has a Buick 215 v8 in it & I couldn't resist. Motor is built & I am supposed to get the dyno of 260hp to the rear wheels. Guy had it sitting in his garage parked since 1995. The body has a few dings but has NO rust! Overall it is in good shape but I admit it was a weak moment for me to go look at a car. If it wasn't for the motor I would not have bothered

On the transport I wasn't thrilled with anything about it. It is just temporary. They were only hauling it 120 miles to Vancouver. Where it is getting loaded on a Semi for the trip to Florida. Not enclosed transport there either but better than last night's.

So you're saying that the 'Sicle wasn't even on the transporter before you were off buying another car? lol-2.gif Guess I win that bet!

Be sure to tell the guys on the Triumph forum that you bought the car to swap the engine into a 914...that should get a reaction. idea.gif Better yet, tell them you're swapping it into an X/19.
Gint
That TR7.5 should be fun though. No pics?
JRust
QUOTE(Gint @ Dec 7 2012, 07:22 PM) *

That TR7.5 should be fun though. No pics?

Not yet. I dropped it at a buddies until I get my shop cleaned out. The top is bad & it is raining. So it probably won't be to my house until next weekend. It's white with black accents. Guess I can call it the ice cream sandwich evilgrin.gif
McMark
Jamie I think I feel similar to you. It's such a great car, but I know it's not the car you really want. Glad to see it go. Sad to see it go.

So when does the triumph come down? av-943.gif
sixnotfour
I have an offer to trade my viper car for a 46k TR-6.... I dont think so .....german versus Brit. = not on my watch.

my dad brain washed me
billh1963
Glad to see you appreciate the British cars as well!

I used to have a 1980 TR8...bought it from the original owner back in 1996. The car only had around 35K miles. It was a nice car and EXTREMELY reliable. The only work I did on it was stuff i wanted to do...the car never left me stranded.

My current British ride is a 1973 TR6!

IPB Image

tumamilhem
VERY nice Triumph! My buddy Richard had one in the 70's. He still regrets selling it.
tumamilhem
QUOTE(JRust @ Dec 7 2012, 01:47 AM) *

Tonight is bitter sweet. It has been a long road since my restoration began. So many headache's & a few nightmare experiences with shops. I am happy to have this chapter of my life with my restoration come to a close. It was really hard to see it go. I am still incredibly worried something will happen in transport. Or the new owner Tommy won't be happy with it. I have always been open & honest with my car. Probably to my own detriment. I would rather talk something down & have someone be really happy. Than to praise it & have some disappointment.

Will I do one again? I dont think so to this extent. At least not a bone stock resto. I think I'll stick to my conversions. I'm going to get my v8 car setup & just enjoy driving my 914 again. I think I have had enough of the multiple 914 projects. I have 3 right now but really the v8 is the only one that is staying.

So no regrets here but I am a little sad tonight to have my Creamsicle gone for good. I am glad it is going to a fellow 914world member. I hope he will enjoy it for many years to come. Thanks to everyone who has helped me over the years with this project. There are to many to thanks but I will give a big shout out to my buddy Mark at Original customs. pray.gif He was my saving grace on more than one occasion. So much so I made the 9 hour drive to his place I think 3 different times for work.

To the 914 world community to whom I owe so much. My sincere thanks wub.gif Click to view attachment

Damn, I feel bad for buying it now! lol

I just happen to discover 914World and Jamie's restoration thread in searching LE Can Am cars, just looking for old memorabilia, ads, pics, etc. I spent an entire afternoon reading the entire thread and was happy to discover so many 914 buffs like myself (I've owned two). rolleyes.gif

I contacted Jamie about his car and over the course of a month or so, getting to know him, found him to be a pretty nice guy, honest, informative, generous and moreover, reminded me of an elderly gentleman who after pulling me over not having my first 914 for 24 hours to check out my car and later befriended (this guy was a 914 expert, "Dr. Phil" the Porsche doctor I called him, owned 18 914s over his lifetime, offered to help work on my first car and found my second one and we became friends before he passed away).

My correspondence with Jamie over the last few months has been really great. Not just in regards to the car, but getting to know him and the kind of guy he is. He's been very helpful, honest, informative, generous with his time, and resources throughout our correspondence and sale of the car. I know he put a lot of time and effort into this car, so even though he wanted to let it go, I know it's personal when you put so much into it, which is one of the reasons that made it special for me too. beerchug.gif

I'm very happy to have this car as my third 914 (hoping to sell my nice red '75 soon to help pay for it!). It will have a good home and be well enjoyed - all thanks to Jamie who put so much into it. Unfortunately, I'm not so mechanically inclined as most of you guys are, so I do appreciate all the work that was done. pray.gif It's funny, I never had any intention of buying another 914 until I came across this thread.

I'm very much looking forward to receiving the car. I bought it a couple weeks ago now and it'll be another week and a half before it arrives, hopefully without the rear window blown out! lol! If so, Anybody know where I can find another rear window with defroster? confused24.gif

So anyway, I'm very happy to know Jamie, my first friend on 914 World, happy to discover this community of enthusiasts and experts of a shared love for this car and very happy to soon be driving a beautiful 914 LE that is just that much more special from all the time, energy, love and effort that went into making it into what it is today. Thank you, Jamie! And thank you 914 World!

Oh, one other thing - this Creamsicle - made ON MY BIRTHDAY! How cool is that?! aktion035.gif

The proud and most recent owner of a 914 LE Can Am 'Creamsicle' driving.gif

Tommy
tumamilhem
Oh yeah - and welcome.png to me! beer.gif
billh1963
I'm glad that you got the car; albeit with a somewhat heavy heart. I had been looking for some extra cash to buy it and just as I got everything lined up, you bought it!! dry.gif

Seriously, though. I am happy for you and think it's a great car. I am happy to see it come to the East Coast. You are only three hours away from me and Phil W...maybe you can make a road trip to the South Carolina LowCountry some day. At the very least we'll see you at the Tropical Ramble next year!
tumamilhem
That would be cool! Yeah, I was hoping to sell my nice red '75 before buying the car, but it seemed there was other interest in it so I had to go ahead and buy it. Need to sell my red one now! driving.gif

I don't know who Phil W is or anybody on 914 World that is in my city or surrounding area either, so it would be nice to meet up with other enthusiasts. beerchug.gif

When and where is the Tropical Ramble? I would love check that out! rolleyes.gif
poorsche914
QUOTE(tumamilhem @ Dec 8 2012, 02:13 PM) *
Oh, one other thing - this Creamsicle - made ON MY BIRTHDAY! How cool is that?! aktion035.gif

That IS cool w00t.gif

driving.gif
KELTY360
QUOTE(tumamilhem @ Dec 8 2012, 12:13 PM) *

I contacted Jamie about his car and over the course of a month or so, getting to know him, found him to be a pretty nice guy, honest, informative, generous and moreover, reminded me of an elderly gentleman who after pulling me over not having my first 914 for 24 hours to check out my car and later befriended (this guy was a 914 expert, "Dr. Phil" the Porsche doctor I called him, owned 18 914s over his lifetime, offered to help work on my first car and found my second one and we became friends before he passed away).

Is this the Phil you're talking about? His passing was a sad chapter in 914World

Click to view attachment

Oh yeah... welcome.png Jamie put his heart and soul, blood and tears into that restoration. When he started it, he had hair!
tumamilhem
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Dec 8 2012, 03:59 PM) *

QUOTE(tumamilhem @ Dec 8 2012, 12:13 PM) *

Is this the Phil you're talking about? His passing was a sad chapter in 914World

Click to view attachment

Oh yeah... welcome.png Jamie put his heart and soul, blood and tears into that restoration. When he started it, he had hair!

Oh man... you just brought a tear to my face. Yes, that's my buddy Phil.

Phil did a lot of work on my Scarlet Red '75 914 that I have up for sale. He was the one who actually found my '75 in the paper as I was at his house having lunch and taking a break from working on my '74.

I met Phil within less than 24 hours of buying my first 914. I as driving around (we lived in close proximity, within about 5 or 6 miles of each other, me in Riverside and him in Ortega). This guy kept following me around in his pickup truck, trying to get my attention. At a stop light he pulled along side of me and yelled, "Hey man! Pull over! I want to talk to you!" So I did. He was inquiring about my car, which was a real junker. I told him I needed to fix this, get parts for this, etc. He said, "Oh man, I got so many extra parts you can have 'em!" (And boy he wasn't kidding! His garage from floor to ceiling was nothing but 914 parts!) "I can help you fix that!" So he gave me his number the next weekend I called him and said, "Hey, this is Tommy with the 914." He said, "Hey man! Come on over and we'll fix up your car!" Therein began my friendship with Phil, which lasted until his death.

I nicknamed him "Dr. Phil - The Porsche Doctor". In his garage, he had a street-type sign that said Porsche Doctor or something of that nature, so I nicknamed him that. He did major surgery on my car out of the goodness of his heart. He took me to the Sport Car Vintage Car Races in Savannah so we could watch all these 914s and the like race. I was at his house every weekend. We went on outings with his very nice wife Liz, had lunch together, and work on my car - a LOT. He was almost finished restoring a beautiful signal orange car for his wife. I mean this thing was impeccable. He had 4 other parts cars in his backyard. Plus one. I remember the phone call - "Hey Tom! You'll never guess what I found in my garage! MY OTHER CAR!" I told you he had floor-to-ceiling parts! He has so many parts, that they completely covered his black 914! It had been hidden for so long, he could never remember what had happened to it! His wife had a kiln in the garage (she made homemade pottery) and finally made him clean up the garage because she was afraid with all that un-organization, that the kiln would eventually set fire to something!

Phil had had a couple of different cancers he had been fighting. He lived about 20 years longer than the doctors told him though. And in the end, it wasn't even cancer that killed him. It was a brain tumor, even though they killed the tumor. They didn't remove the tumor because he had has so much kimo, they though he would be too weak to remove it. So they killed the tumor, but the mass eventually pressed up against his brain and that's what killed him. Phil was always in great spirits and very active for a 74 year old guy. His wife was 41, which had something to do with it. These two were so great together. Like a couple of kids, honestly. They went on trips, hiking, always working on his cars, etc. But it was his spirit that I think made him live so long with the cancer. I remember one afternoon the three of us were having lunch at his house. He was eating cake and a few other things that wouldn't be so healthy. He said to me, "You know what the great thing about having cancer is? You don't gain any weight! I haven't gained a goddamn pound in years!" lol That was Phil's personality. He as a great guy, generous, honesty, considerate and very warm, friendly and welcoming. He was a good friend, as was his wife Liz, and a great guy. And he literally knew every single nut and bolt on that car.

It's funny, because just yesterday I was wearing a t-shirt he gave to me. It's an old t-shirt with a picture of a 914 on it. He also wanted to give me his favorite leather bomber jacket, but I just couldn't take it. After he died, his wife Liz said he left it for me. But somehow we lost touch. I didn't know about the funeral until after the fact and then wasn't able to reach her soon after our last conversation.

Thank you so much for this picture. I don't have one of him or us. It's good to see my old buddy again.

I'll never forget him.
Gint
Phil was that kinda guy. There are a lot of 914 guys like that. Right here...

QUOTE(billh1963 @ Dec 8 2012, 11:11 AM) *
My current British ride is a 1973 TR6!

And a nice looking one at that.
mepstein
driving.gif
billh1963
I almost bought that car. But, tumamilhem beat me to it.

I drug my feet because of the reconstructed title. Guess I waited too long

Creamsicle for sale
scotty b
Seems like this poor car has been plagued with F.I. issues sad.gif

Probably just needs a couple Webers on it hide.gif
a few loose screws
Does anyone know if there are any recent photos of this car????

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.