Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Creamsicle resto thread- A little sad tonight
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
JRust
QUOTE(computers4kids @ Apr 30 2011, 06:38 PM) *

Cough is good news. piratenanner.gif What kind of mechanic did you bring your car to? You gave him a good 2ltr for his work...I'm sorry for sounding a bit put out, but a year later???

Test the voltage at the fuel pump harness before you connect another pump. Also make sure the relay is good and the fuse hasn't been rigged. It's hard to believe you had 2-3 bad pumps, but hey who knows. Might want to just hot wire the next pump for now and see if you can get your motor running.

Yeah the cough is good news. I actually checked more fuel pumps before putting them in. Went through more like 5 but all had issues with leakage. I'm pretty sure this is the dead one. I should be able to get the working one from him this week. I will check the voltage from the harness too. What should it be putting out voltage wise with the key on?

As far as feeling put out confused24.gif . It's my own fault. I should have picked it up a long time ago. Guy had some serious personal & health issues come up. Still doesn't quite cover why it would take so long. So while I will never take a 914 back there. I also am not going to bash his business publicly. I certainly won't be sending any of my friends to see him either. Having said all that. He is a nice guy & I wouldn't avoid him if I saw him.
JRust
Okay so lack of time & troubleshooting skills has led me to take the LE down to McMark. I am heading down this saturday & dropping it off. driving.gif While I would love it to be something simple & cheap. To simple will make me look like an idiot blink.gif . Hell I'll just be happy to have it fixed evilgrin.gif
banksyinoz
so much patience, i would have been locked up for murder by now if i was in your shoes smile.gif

wishing for a happy ending soon
nsr-jamie
You are a very patient person..sorry its taking so long to get the work done but you have made lots of progress (mostly on your side)...I actually have a brand new stock Bosch fuel pump that I don't need after switching to carbs...its been in storage for over 10 years but was new in the box, the only problem is its on the other side of the world for me now (in Canada)..I would gladly trade it to you for some parts or sell at a fair price...but I would need to make it back to Canada for a bit to pick it up.

I hope you get things sorted out with your car. I love the creamsicles and hope you don't sell it.

Also you have a cool first name!! beerchug.gif

Jamie (nsr-jamie)
JRust
I did find a fuel pump. I came home with 5 from the transmission clinic. The first I tried leaked like a sieve. The second was totally dead. The 3rd pump seemed to do the trick. I know it is working & I have pressure. Now I don't think my injectors are working. Anyway McMark will figure it all out soon.
Root_Werks
smilie_pokal.gif Progress, I bet Mark get's it figured out soon.

driving.gif
Chris Pincetich
QUOTE(JRust @ Apr 26 2011, 08:46 PM) *

I may bring it down & leave it with McMark. Just let him figure it out & write a check when I pick it up to drive it home confused24.gif .

I had to swallow my pride and do that last month. McMark got my 914 running, and his rates are very reasonable. Now I wish I could be there this weekend to see you in town! My 914 is still at the OC shop, more rustoration in progress!
Have a safe trip beerchug.gif
jzdu
I'm in the same boat. I've got a local mechanic helping with the final hookup of the D-jet. I can't wait to hear this thing run!!
McMark
I brought my LE home today. After 10 months of being at this shop. I am in the same boat as when I dropped it off. Well some parts have been replaced. Not sure if I am any closer though. I won't get to mess with it until late saturday

Two hours on the clock and I just finished the 20min break in period. cool_shades.gif
Eric_Shea
Careful with that Mark guy Jamie... looks like he's billing to two hours for 20 minutes worth of work! ohmy.gif

biggrin.gif poke.gif

hide.gif
McMark
av-943.gif

I gotta get that Cayenne somehow!
computers4kids
QUOTE(McMark @ Jun 12 2011, 11:23 AM) *

I brought my LE home today. After 10 months of being at this shop. I am in the same boat as when I dropped it off. Well some parts have been replaced. Not sure if I am any closer though. I won't get to mess with it until late saturday

Two hours on the clock and I just finished the 20min break in period. cool_shades.gif

OK, don't leave us hanging with the famous 1 year mystery engine problem..do tell. smilie_pokal.gif
Michael N
QUOTE(computers4kids @ Jun 12 2011, 12:01 PM) *

QUOTE(McMark @ Jun 12 2011, 11:23 AM) *

OK, don't leave us hanging with the famous 1 year mystery engine problem..do tell. smilie_pokal.gif

I agree...spill it. What was the issue?
JRust
Yeah spill it! Hopefully whatever it is doesn't make me look to big an idiot dry.gif
JRust
Okay I know a few problems. Some of which were my problems. One was the fuel lines were hooked up backwords. I kept it the same when changing the pumps. which means I got it back from my other wrench that way dry.gif .
Also my ditributor was in 180 degree's off. Which I also managed to do after I had o swaped after burning up my rebuilt one with petronix dry.gif . Well I can lay claim to both those issues.

Oh well I am way past being proud on this car. I just want if finished & running biggrin.gif
McMark
Yup, hooked up a fuel pressure gauge and saw no fuel pressure, but could hear the pump run. Swapped those lines and problem fixed.

Cranked and got a few sputters and pops, but nothing significant. Pulled the valve cover and set #1 to TDC for sure then pulled the distributor and checked the orientation of the distributor drive gear. That was 180* out. So flipped that around. Installed a set of points and condenser in the newly rebuilt distributor and double checked the trigger points were working. Installed everything and timed it by lining up the rotor with the line on the distributor.

Turned the key and it sputtered to life. 20 minutes later it's got the engine brake in finally done. But.... there's still some oddities to work out. It doesn't idle and a few other things. But I'm headed back in right now to double check everything and install a throttle cable so I can test drive it. wink.gif
Eric_Shea
Good work Mark. smilie_pokal.gif
Michael N
smilie_pokal.gif
JRust
QUOTE(McMark @ Jun 12 2011, 04:09 PM) *

Turned the key and it sputtered to life. 20 minutes later it's got the engine brake in finally done. But.... there's still some oddities to work out. It doesn't idle and a few other things. But I'm headed back in right now to double check everything and install a throttle cable so I can test drive it. wink.gif

driving.gif Sweet! I can't wait to hear how it goes smile.gif
Tom
biggrin.gif Good news Jamie! Hope things will get straightened out in time for the WCR this year.
Tom
ConeDodger
Ok... I take it back. He can get it running. biggrin.gif
McMark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtbERHnYX0M

The MPS looks like it needs some tweaking. I dropped in a spare to get it running.
JRust
AWESOME piratenanner.gif

You know if you haven't driven it down the road. I think some of the lights still need plugged in. Oh yeah & the tags are expired. Guess I better hit the DMV this week for them
McMark
Yeah, tags are good. wink.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bG-I_F2HwSk
poorsche914
piratenanner.gif creamsicle914.jpg driving.gif
Mr.242
THE WORLD IS ENDING!

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat, is going on?

Hide your wives, hide your kids.... driving-girl.gif
KELTY360
QUOTE(Mr.242 @ Jun 12 2011, 08:37 PM) *

THE WORLD IS ENDING!

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat, is going on?

Hide your wives, hide your kids.... driving-girl.gif

Nah, it's not ending, we're just going through the wormhole. popcorn[1].gif
SirAndy
smilie_pokal.gif
majkos
Our hero! aktion035.gif way to go Mark

BTW was it the MPS for the oddies?

and could have you warm the motor a bit more for a smoother take off? rolleyes.gif
JRust
The real question now will be who is going to drive it up to WCR? Of course Mark get's dibs over anyone else. Just whoever it is needs to get a ride back home from someone making the trip up. It's that or I fly down to drive it back. Although I took a quick look & those prices are insane. One way to San Fransico for $500+ no thanks blink.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(JRust @ Jun 13 2011, 05:54 AM) *

The real question now will be who is going to drive it up to WCR? Of course Mark get's dibs over anyone else. Just whoever it is needs to get a ride back home from someone making the trip up. It's that or I fly down to drive it back. Although I took a quick look & those prices are insane. One way to San Fransico for $500+ no thanks blink.gif

There are a couple people who are local going up. I expect someone can bring him back. Ya'll can't keep him up there though... As you can see, he is pretty valuable to us. biggrin.gif
McMark
QUOTE(majkos @ Jun 13 2011, 06:40 AM) *

BTW was it the MPS for the oddies?

and could have you warm the motor a bit more for a smoother take off? rolleyes.gif

Give the ol' girl a break. It's the first time she moved on her own. wink.gif

Got the MPS tweaked a bit yesterday. The aneroid cells had become dislodged somehow. Maybe someone dropped the MPS at some point. But with the cells misaligned, it was causing an extra lean condition.

I'll probably be driving it up. As long asits registered. poke.gif
Root_Werks
driving.gif
Michael N

Mark can't drive the Creamcicle up because he'll be driving the limo. poke.gif slap.gif
Eric_Shea
I'll drive it...
JRust
QUOTE(McMark @ Jun 13 2011, 08:05 AM) *

I'll probably be driving it up. As long asits registered. poke.gif

Perfect! I will get the tags tommorow & send them down. Talk to you soon Mark biggrin.gif
McMark
QUOTE(Michael N @ Jun 13 2011, 09:18 AM) *

Mark can't drive the Creamcicle up because he'll be driving the limo. poke.gif slap.gif

I'm going to use Jamie's car to tow the limo chassis up there and then just coast downhill going home. laugh.gif
Chris Pincetich
It lives beerchug.gif
I was there when the entire garage filled with smoke after it caught for the first time.
Michael N
QUOTE(McMark @ Jun 13 2011, 09:39 AM) *

QUOTE(Michael N @ Jun 13 2011, 09:18 AM) *

I'm going to use Jamie's car to tow the limo chassis up there and then just coast downhill going home. laugh.gif

av-943.gif lol-2.gif av-943.gif
JRust
QUOTE(ChrisNPDrider @ Jun 13 2011, 02:06 PM) *

It lives beerchug.gif
I was there when the entire garage filled with smoke after it caught for the first time.

I had dreams of that happening with me in the garage! dry.gif

Of course I've had dreams that involved it going up in smoke too evilgrin.gif
JRust
Drove my LE for about 20 minutes tonight piratenanner.gif . Mark has it running great. I can't wait to put it through the autoX tommorow. Then it get's a much needed bath. It is one filthy car after sitting through the previous year at the wrench who shall remain nameless. Now I just need to spend some time sorting out a few cosmetic problems. Also the rebuilt tranny is leaking byt he tailcone/intermediate plate. So I will be pulling it to replace that gasket. Kind of strange as all it has done is sit for a long time. Figures though but who cares. I can actually drive it biggrin.gif

Mark at Original Customs is my hero! first.gif
Bleyseng
pics???
JRust
Here is one of my Co-Driver Ian! It is missing the spoiler as I am flat towing it. It ran great all day & had no issues on the track. Awesome day!!!
McMark
I was glad to see your guys hammering on it at the AX. Drive it like you stole it. laugh.gif
JRust
Another update as it has been a while. I pulled the tranny that was leaking from the tailcone. It was a rebuilt one but the gasket got a little goobered when it was put on. I had another rebuilt tranny on my shelf so I just put it in there. The dash that I bought off ebay supposedly uncracked wasn't as I said before. It wasn't super obvious before. Now the cracks look more pronounced & annoy the hell out of me. I just bought a excellent uncracked dash for it. Damn things are spendy dry.gif . I started pulling out my intereior last night to get the dash off. I still need to get the lower dash out & then I am ready to pull it. While there are plenty of little things with my paint that drive me nuts. My car looks great just not perfect. At least I will have my interior as close to perfect as I can. There will be no cracks or tears in anything. I will take some pics for you guys soon biggrin.gif
JRust
I got my new (used) uncracked dash yesterday. I installed it tonight. I still have to put everything under the dash back in. I forgot what a pain in the ass getting to some of those plastic nuts are dry.gif . Oh well it does look great in place. I'll get a pic up once I get everything back in
McMark
popcorn[1].gif smilie_pokal.gif
JRust
Figured I needed to update my resto thread with the latest. After deciding to redo my interior floor after finding some rust by the seat mounts. I pulled all the tar mat off the floor. Wire brushed everything & treated the small rust area's. I had one little 1/8" hole I had to fill. I got that all done & moved onto the rear trunk.

It was not done well when I had it painted. It sitting outside at the shop didn't help the tailight leak. I had some minor rust there to deal with. Mostly because the guy who painted it didn't do the work in the trunk he should have. Anyway I completely stripped the rear trunk & prepped it for paint. Once I did that I wasn't happy with the front trunk. I stripped it & prepped it for paint too. After trying to used the rattle cans I had made when I got my car painted. I wasn't happy with the results. So I decided to go buy a paint gun & take my first shot at painting. Man painting is definitely not easy. I was happy with the rear trunk on my first attempt.

The front trunk I wasn't happy with. I was trying to paint basically the area where the spare sits. So everything below the shelf. I didn't do a good job of taping by the wall & ended up needing to redo the front trunk.

I also repainted the interior floor. I've got to pull my rear window & reinstall it. The windshield calking I used didn't cut it. I'll be doing that this week. Next weekend I plan to put the interior back in. The only thing I should have left after that is the front valance. One end by the tire had the fiberglass hole tear out by the screw. So now I get to learn to deal with fiberglass blink.gif
JRust
My plan for tomorrow is to finish hooking up the clutch at the pedal cluster. Then start my LE & back it out of the trailer. I've got to get into town to get some buytl tape to reinstall the rear window. Anyone think it would be worth the trouble to add a rear window defrost I have in another car? It was not a stock option but some were added from the factory. Once that is installed my interior goes back in. I do have to get the front valance fixed & back on also. But then the LE is finished. Although that is a big knock on wood. I've thought I had it finished way to many times sad.gif
Cairo94507
I like the defroster glass and have one to go in my six. If you have it, install it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.