Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Creamsicle resto thread- A little sad tonight
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
dlee6204
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jan 14 2012, 09:32 AM) *

I like the defroster glass and have one to go in my six. If you have it, install it.

agree.gif
computers4kids
Jamie,
Are you thinking you might "officially" put the LE up for sale? You've worked so hard on it.
Mark
914werke
QUOTE(JRust @ Jan 13 2012, 08:54 PM) *
*EDIT* Anyone think it would be worth the trouble to add a rear window defrost I have in another car? It was not a stock option but some were added from the factory.

Dont you mean it just wasnt as delivered on your car?
It was an option, and my car does have one. confused24.gif
Installing the glass is easy, the tougher part is obtaining the correct harness, switch then threading it through the tunnel & eng. bay wiring loom "snorkle" to power at the relay board. idea.gif
JRust
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Jan 14 2012, 11:35 AM) *

Installing the glass is easy, the tougher part is obtaining the correct harness, switch then threading it through the tunnel & eng. bay wiring loom "snorkle" to power at the relay board. idea.gif

Well the car I pull it from should have the correct harness right? Is it part of the main wiring loom or just attached to it? I actually have it in 2 cars I could pull it from.

I didn't get out to do it this morning. Turns out there was a swap meet 20 minutes from my house in albany. I needed to go to napa to get the buytl tape. So I decided to detour & go by the swap meet. It was a total redneck fest for dirt track racing stuff. Had a buddy there selling a car so really just stopped to say hey. Glad I did as my buddy says you should go by this trailer. It's a tilt bed & he's only asking $400. So I go over to check it out. Old guy selling it is just trying to get rid of stuff. I just got my enclosed trailer so wasn't looking for one. I kinda shuffled my feet while talking to him. Said I don't need it but I've got $300 with me. He says sold & held out his hand evilgrin.gif . Even better is he is delivering to my house in another hour or so aktion035.gif .
JRust
Okay I still didn't decide on the rear window. Here is a pic of my restored pedal cluster before getting covered up! My big plans for today involve watching my 49ers beat up on the Giants. On to the super bowl niners piratenanner.gif
JRust

Man you weren't kidding. I pulled everything I needed out of the wrecked 74 I have. IT was a serious PITA getting that wire through the sleeve in the engine bay. So while I worked on the LE a good part of the day today. I really only accomplished installing the rear window & getting the wiring run. So my rear window defrost is all done & installed. Cool to have it finished.
JFJ914
QUOTE(JRust @ Feb 11 2012, 11:20 PM) *

Man you weren't kidding. I pulled everything I needed out of the wrecked 74 I have. IT was a serious PITA getting that wire through the sleeve in the engine bay. So while I worked on the LE a good part of the day today. I really only accomplished installing the rear window & getting the wiring run. So my rear window defrost is all done & installed. Cool to have it finished.

I have a harness I need to install in my car, can you expand on what you did to pull yours?
JRust
QUOTE(John Jentz @ Feb 12 2012, 01:16 PM) *

I have a harness I need to install in my car, can you expand on what you did to pull yours?

The car I pulled mine from was no problem. I just cut the rubber sleeve in the engine bay.

The install will go something like this. It is helpful to have a buddy to help feed the wire in the engine bay.

1st. Disconnect your battery!Your backpad, center console & any carpet on the center tunnel all need to be removed. You will be running wire down the tunnel with the rest of the wiring. Your car also need to be up in the air so you have access to the the main wiring. This job is easier if the motor is out but that isn't necessary. My motor was in my LE when I did the install.

2nd. Check your defrost harness for any cracks or problems. Lay it out in the interior along the center tunnel to see where it should go. Clip the end with the black plug about an inch wide. Clip the wires 1 ft below & put the clipped end by your battery. You will reattach it once you have routed your wires through.

3rd. Get under your car. Pull the rubber sleeve out of the firewall & the front of the engine shelf. There is a lip to both sides that hold it in place. Get it loose & pull the firewall (bottom end) & roll it back on itself an inch or so. This will clear the hole for you to be bale to feed your wire through to the engine bay.

4th. Pull the little square metal cover at the firewall on the center tunnel. Feed the end of the wiring you clipped through firewall following the main wiring. Once in the engine have your buddy pull through the wiring until it branches. The wiring loom splits as the wires go up to the glass. Feed through what you need to reach the relay board. Remember you still have 1 ft of wire to reattach. So take that into account.

5th. With your wire in the engine bay you need to snake it through with the main wiring through that foot long rubber sleeve. This is the biggest PITA of the project. It is fairly easy to get it started in the bottom. Feeding it through the top is not easy. You can use a coat hanger or something similar. Problem is it is so tight you may scrape your main wiring in there. Not a good idea. In the end I made one cut in the top of the rubber sleeve. Once I made that cut feeding it through became much easier. Once that is through the sleeve. Just push both ends of the sleeve back into their respective holes. Reattach your plug that connects to the relay board.

6th. Take the 2 screws holding the relay board out so you can move it. You need to connect the ground below the relay board. There is the one bolt below with a 10mm nut on it. Attach that & reinstall your relay board. You can plug the defrost into it if you are ready.

7th. Get back inside your car. Route the wiring right next to the main wiring running through the center of your car. Follow it all the way to the fuse box/board. Take the 2 screws holding your fuse box in place. Connect your ground the to bolt on the wall. Another 10mm nut sits on it. I plugged mine to the fuse box where it was plugged into the car I pulled it from. This was to the 5th spot from the right. This is to the row closest to the wall between you & the gas tank. Reinstall the fuse box.

8th. The wiring to your actual switch which branches off next to the wires you just connected to the fuse box. You will route from your fusebox under the dash over next to your radio. The defrost switch sits between your radio & your cigarette lighter. The hole is already in the metal part of the dash. Typically the basket weave will be covering it. You just need to open the hole in the basket weave & install your switch.

Sorry that is really long winded. I guess I should have taken pictures as I went through the process. Didn't think of doing that though confused24.gif
Cairo94507
Congratulations! I have always liked the look of the defroster rear window in our cars. My 1st 914, a '73 2.0 came with it and I have a perfect defroster glass and nicely restored defroster harness and switch for my six build. So even though my car came w/o a defroster rear window, it will have one when done.
JFJ914
Thanks for the description!
PanelBilly
Don't forget to keep saying I love you honey, always makes it slide in easier
JRust
Well I dropped off a bunch of parts to my powder coater a few weeks back. Called to check on them friday. Turns out my guy got sent out of state for work. So all my parts are locked in his shop & haven't been worked on yet mad.gif . Sucks as I took all my extra seat mount/rails to get powder coated. Including the ones from my LE. I'll be lucky to get them before I leave on the 12th for Vegas. I've been holding off finishing my interior until I got those back. So I am just going to get everything else put in place this week. Worst case I will pull them out of my suby project so I have an actual seat. Still annoying as hell but my powder coater does good work & is very reasonable. So wait I will as I have a pair of 16x8 fuchs coming that go to him next.

So tonight after work I am installing the vinyl pieces that sit on the seat brace & the side of the tunnel between the seats. Then the backpad get's put back in. Although I've got a little swapping to do there. My previous uncracked backpad decided to crack on top by the seat belt on the drivers side. I was more than a little pissed as I barely leaned right there when it happened sad.gif . So I need to pull that side off another pad I have to get it back to uncracked & pristine smile.gif . If that all goes well I will finish installing the carpet.
JRust
Well I got the vinyl & carpet all done. My backpad need some work. I may just try to find a better one. I have 3 & one of them would be fairly nice. Problem is the bottom on all 3 have issues. Of course they are covered so it's not exactly obvious. I really want to have the interior perfect.
JRust
I was able to piece together a good backpad from 2 of the ones I had. Had to do a little work with the vinyl on the bottoms. I have my interior all installed but kind of temporarily. My seat rails/mounts are off getting powder coated. I put some of those in so I can drive it tomorrow & give it a good shakedown. I'll be picking up my new powdercoated parts tomorrow & will drive the LE up to get them.

I also did some fiberglass work for the first time on my LE front Valance. Had one of the holes ripped out to the side. So redid that corner lip & fixed a few small cracks. Then I painted it last night. I still have a little of the orange peel look to my paint. You've got to be very close to really notice it. Plus it's a repro Valance anyway so concours shape it will never be. I'll shoot some pics tonight biggrin.gif
AZ914
Awesome.. Keep it up! Rt 66 in 2 weeks!
6freak
looks real good Jamie smile.gif nice work
McMark
Don't forget that OE finish isn't mirror smooth. These are 'economy cars'. A little orange peel is period correct.

Lookin' great. drooley.gif
JRust
I am basically finished with the LE finally. It is absolutely filthy in the pics. I am paying someone to detail it tomorrow. Give it the serious cut buff wash & wax it needs. While the carpet is all new & doesn't need cleaned. All the vinyl needs treated. The pics make the interior look much worse than it is. It is as close to pristine as I can get it. I'll go ahead & upload the pics I have. The only thing I have left to do is install the engine trunk lid. Then I drive it the 30 minutes to the detailers place. I leave it there for about 5 hours. Only thing that sucks is the weather is so crappy. By the time I drive it to vegas it will be filthy again. At least it will clean up easier after the wax.

I can't even begin to say how happy I am to have it all together & finished. w00t.gif
Mike Bellis
NIce!
Cairo94507
Congratulations beerchug.gif
malcolm2
Looks awesome. Did you do anything special to the seat rails? I have read a few posts where folks talk about NOT painting the edge of the rail where the seat has to slide. Looks like yours is flat black. Have you tried to move it yet?
JRust
QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Mar 11 2012, 08:08 AM) *

Looks awesome. Did you do anything special to the seat rails? I have read a few posts where folks talk about NOT painting the edge of the rail where the seat has to slide. Looks like yours is flat black. Have you tried to move it yet?

I had them powder coated. I don't doubt the rails will wear off. I put some lithium grease on them hoping it will keep a while. They moved great lubed up & didn't do any damage yet. Of course it hasn't had any real use yet smile.gif
Mike Bellis
Hurry up and sell that thing so you can buy more 914's!!!
sixnotfour
Its been a long road for the LE. Congrats, and Enjoy it !!
JRust
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Mar 11 2012, 09:47 AM) *

Hurry up and sell that thing so you can buy more 914's!!!

I actually may sell it at Route 66. I've got a buyer coming to see it. We shall see but it would be a nice send off trip driving.gif
JRust
Got back from getting it Detailed piratenanner.gif
Lennies914
Congrats Jamie. She's a beauty! Nice job. first.gif
dlee6204
Very nice! smilie_pokal.gif
JeffBowlsby
Yay! Another LE saved...Looks great!
cary
Stopped by to look at the 75 tub he has for sale.

The LE is stunning. He did a beautiful job. Very impressive. I only hope the one I'm working now turns out 1/2 as nice.

Have fun on your trip ................
JRust
I've listed it on ebay now. Let's hope it goes to another great 914 owner
FourBlades

I want an LE!!!!

You need one as part of your complete collection. smile.gif

Too bad I have 6 cars already...

John
sixnotfour
lets Go;
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-914...=item4cffd7492f
914werke
Congrats Jamie! Looks great.
& you already have some action on the Auction!
JRust
Yeah I have had alot of interest. I will be surprised if it makes it to the end without someone doing the Buy it now. We shall see though Talk is cheap & I have had plenty of that. Must be why I am still poor confused24.gif laugh.gif
76-914
Glad to hear that the car and you made it back w/o incident beerchug.gif
AZ914
Get some interior shots up there.. that will definitely drive the bids!
jersey914
What did your LE end up selling for and where is it's new home?

I turned out great! You should be proud!
JRust
I haven't actually sold it yet. The guy who bought it on ebay turned out to be trying a scam. I won't do ebay again. It is in the classifieds for sale here. I am in no hurry. I am content to keep it & drive it. So while it's officially still for sale. I am not actively doing anything to sell it confused24.gif . Had a rear main seal leak that I just fixed. I'll drive it for another month before I store it for winter.
jersey914
QUOTE(JRust @ Oct 6 2012, 11:43 AM) *

I haven't actually sold it yet. The guy who bought it on ebay turned out to be trying a scam. I won't do ebay again. It is in the classifieds for sale here. I am in no hurry. I am content to keep it & drive it. So while it's officially still for sale. I am not actively doing anything to sell it confused24.gif . Had a rear main seal leak that I just fixed. I'll drive it for another month before I store it for winter.

message me your asking price, please
McMark
Here's the sale thread. I've worked on this car and driven it and I think it's worth every penny. Especially considering how (in my opinion) the LE cars are going to climb in resale faster than the 914/4s as nice examples of our cars become more desirable.
sda4property@gmail.com
No BS: I bought a bumble Bee this year. I did not buy the "Car". I bought the COA & VIN that match the engine and body. Get what I am saying. Without the correct vin & COA from Porsche...All you got is a regular good ol 914.
JRust
QUOTE(sda4property@gmail.com @ Nov 19 2012, 10:31 AM) *

No BS: I bought a bumble Bee this year. I did not buy the "Car". I bought the COA & VIN that match the engine and body. Get what I am saying. Without the correct vin & COA from Porsche...All you got is a regular good ol 914.

I have the COA or did before losing it. I still have pics of it though along with the original sales & window sticker. So it is an original LE Creamsicle. Not sure what your point is in my thread?
billh1963
QUOTE(JRust @ Nov 19 2012, 01:38 PM) *

Not sure what your point is in my thread?

That is weird....isn't it? Maybe he is just reinforcing that your car is a great deal since you have the COA?

You should bring that car to South Carolina....I will hold a bake sale to drum up money to buy it! I want that car!!!!!!!!! biggrin.gif
JRust
I have a sale pending I think. No money in my hand yet so who knows confused24.gif
billh1963
QUOTE(JRust @ Nov 19 2012, 01:50 PM) *

I have a sale pending I think. No money in my hand yet so who knows confused24.gif

I hate to hear that (for me)...but, congratulations! aktion035.gif

I was just thinking about what I could do to generate the cash. You know how much I like that car!
jersey914
Good luck! No wammys!
tumamilhem
QUOTE(JRust @ Nov 19 2012, 01:50 PM) *

cheer.gif driving.gif beerchug.gif smilie_pokal.gif aktion035.gif
tumamilhem
QUOTE(JRust @ Nov 19 2012, 01:38 PM) *

QUOTE(sda4property@gmail.com @ Nov 19 2012, 10:31 AM) *

I have the COA or did before losing it. I still have pics of it though along with the original sales & window sticker. So it is an original LE Creamsicle. Not sure what your point is in my thread?

COA! popcorn[1].gif
JRust
QUOTE(tumamilhem @ Nov 27 2012, 01:09 PM) *

COA! popcorn[1].gif

Congrats Tommy aktion035.gif You are the proud new owner biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.