Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Creamsicle resto thread- A little sad tonight
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
computers4kids
How SWEET it is!!!!!!!!! piratenanner.gif
JRust
I didn't try to fire it up. Was getting kind of late & worked on the many other little things involved. One of which is reinstalling my axles/cv's. It was so nice not having those in the way when I did the drivetrain install. Usually I work around them. Is there a trick to getting the cv's to mate up the stub axle in the trailing arm. I fought with one for a good 20 minutes before calling it a night dry.gif . Maybe I'm just tired. Any tricks you use would be great. I'll get back to it in the morning.

Besides the axles I need to hook up the starter. I need to track down my ground line. How many wires run to the starter again? I need to go to bed. Nothing is making sense headbang.gif . Back to it tommorow biggrin.gif
JRust
Got my axles on fine. Guess I was just tired last night. I've got it back on the ground now. Just need to do a few hoses & the FI computer. I hope I can track down a diagram of them. I've got a few electrical things I am not sure on yet. Oh yeah & put the relay board in. Then it's break in time. I also need to figure out what I am going to do for a trailer. I bought one but it is not ready for the trip. I may rent a dolly or a trailer. Just goes against the grain wasting on renting. I'll check Craigslist for a trailer today.
AZ914
Hey Jamie.. Check out this link for hose diagrams:
http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/technical_...4_20FI_diag.htm
JRust
Okay where does the single wire coming up from the alternator plug in?

Also on the relay board what plugs in on the big open spot towards the trunk? Am I missing a wiring loom. I also don't seem to have th 2 prong plug that plugs right next to the main wiring harness at the top of the board? Here are pics
JeffBowlsby
That single wire in your hand? I dunno...whats it connected to? It looks out of place on that side of the engine. Could it be the oil temp sender wire?
The 12 pin connection on the relay boards is for your...ignition harness - you know - to the coil, starter, back-up light switch.
The 2 poles at the front of the relay board - rear window defroster harness connection...fogeddaboudit.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ May 12 2010, 01:08 PM) *

Could it be the oil temp sender wire?

Doubt it. Oil temp is green/black and should be under the engine ...

shades.gif Andy
JRust

That single wire in your hand? I dunno...whats it connected to? It looks out of place on that side of the engine. Could it be the oil temp sender wire?
The 12 pin connection on the relay boards is for your...ignition harness - you know - to the coil, starter, back-up light switch.
The 2 poles at the front of the relay board - rear window defroster harness connection...fogeddaboudit.

The single wire is connected to the Alternator.

The 12 pin close to the engine bay that is plugged in controls that?

Or the open 12 pin I have closer to the rear trunk?
JRust
Yeah I was missing one wire llom there dry.gif . I found it & should be good. Had to drop things & go to my girls track meet. Hope to be back at it in an hour or so. Talk about pushing the envelope. Well keep your fingers crossed. Official fire up should be around 8 tonight
Tom
Jamie,
The 12 pin is for the engine electrics. The forward plug is 14 pin and goes into the harness. Alternator wires should be 3 wires with a plug that plugs in next to the voltage regulator. Looking at your pic, your alt plug is plugged in already. I think there is one (hot) large wire that goes to the batt positive at the solenoid. That is the wire that charges the battery. Should have a round type connector, but someone may have changed yours.
Tom
JRust
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 12 2010, 01:17 PM) *

Could it be the oil temp sender wire?

Doubt it. Oil temp is green/black and should be under the engine ...

shades.gif Andy

Okay I think maybe this one should be under the car. It was ran through there & there is a hole for it or so it seems. The wire is Brown with a black strip & has an outer casing that hides that color? I thought it was from the alternator but I don't think it is. With the tin on I can't see what it is connected too confused24.gif

I have the 12 pin squared away for the most part. Which wires go where on the coil though. There are a total of 4 wires one being the white wire with a male end encased in the like 2" hard plastic. Then the 3 for the coil (Green w/ red stripe) , small black wire & slightly bigger second black wire. Thanks for all the help guys. I am so close to being able to fire it up. Just a few minor wiring things sad.gif
Tom
Jamie,
Do you have a large wire hooked up from the alt. to the batt. term on the solenoid? If not, your alt. will not charge the batt.
The wire in your top pic is not supposed to be there. That is the hole for the thermo wire ( multistrand steel, not electric) that hooks up to the flappers.
Tom
JRust
QUOTE(Tom @ May 12 2010, 08:23 PM) *

Jamie,
Do you have a large wire hooked up from the alt. to the batt. term on the solenoid? If not, your alt. will not charge the batt.
The wire in your top pic is not supposed to be there. That is the hole for the thermo wire ( multistrand steel, not electric) that hooks up to the flappers.
Tom

Yes I have the large wire to the solenoid on the starter right? Any idea what that wire that isn't supposed to be there goes?
tod914
Jamie, just checked out my engine bay & underneath. Like Jeff mentioned, I think that brown wire is the one that connects to the sensor in the taco plate. I couldn't find any other wires top side that matched it. It should have several tabs that hold it in place from underneath.
JRust
QUOTE(tod914 @ May 12 2010, 10:12 PM) *

Jamie, just checked out my engine bay & underneath. Like Jeff mentioned, I think that brown wire is the one that connects to the sensor in the taco plate. I couldn't find any other wires top side that matched it. It should have several tabs that hold it in place from underneath.

Thanks for taking a look for me. You are right it is the wire coming off the taco plate. I was able to pull it back down through the hole. Now where does it plug into?

Also The red wire coming off the Aux air cleaner. I routed it to the sensor on the plenum? I have a sensor on the motor right next to it. I seem to be short a wire there? Do I have the red wire off the Aux air cleaner in the right place? What color wire is pluged into the sensor on the motor? Thanks Tod
JRust
Still didn't fire it up today dry.gif . Right there but it got late & I was tired. Aparantly not tired enough to sleep as after an hour I came back dwonstairs. Still I am doing breakin bright & early at 7am. Then I'll change the oil & run her lik ehell for a while. Before loading her on the trailer for the trip. Hopefully all will go well with break in. If I have more issues. Screw it I am loading it up & bringing it anyway. smile.gif
watsonrx13
Jamie, here's a couple of links to my website. Since I have the engine still apart I can't take any photos, but there are a lot of shots of the wiring on these pages. I hope I can put this back together based on these photos also.... idea.gif

Dropping engine

Install vacuum lines

Dismantling engine

I hope this helps and good luck.

-- Rob
tod914
Jamie regarding the taco plate. You'll have to remove the cover plate on it, to attach the wire. Should be very doable without dropping the portion with sensor and loosing your oil. Maybe remove one bolt, slide the cover over and reinstall the bolt so it sercures the main plate. There is also a grommet that the wire slides into before you attach it to the sensor. I'll check on the other wires soon as the lawn service leaves.

Tom
Jamie,
The aux air regulator ( I think that is what you meant), wire goes to a white wire ( #12 from 12 pin connector on relay board). It should be switched +12 volts.
Tom
tod914
Ignition wire harness - this has the wires that goto the coil - along with these is a green & red wire. this green & red wire attatch to the oil pressure switch in the hole by the distributor. the white wire that is in this harness attaches to the red wire on your AAR. It should have a plastic coupler on it.
The trigger point section of the harness also has a white wire that comes out. that attaches to air temp sensor.
Your plenium sensor has a rubber boot on it and a connector that will only allow it to go on one way. It's in the same wire section as the TPS.
Hope that helps. Too much stuff in the way to get you clear pictures.
JRust
Okay I didn't get it started but screw it I'm loaded & on the way. Just wasting to much time messing with it. So I'm off & towing it up. Won't get to take it on drives but oh well. See you all soon
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(JRust @ May 13 2010, 09:35 AM) *

Okay I didn't get it started but screw it I'm loaded & on the way. Just wasting to much time messing with it. So I'm off & towing it up. Won't get to take it on drives but oh well. See you all soon

Who are you kidding? You know the group will have you up and running in no time aktion035.gif
Root_Werks
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ May 13 2010, 11:29 AM) *

QUOTE(JRust @ May 13 2010, 09:35 AM) *

Who are you kidding? You know the group will have you up and running in no time aktion035.gif

agree.gif

We can't seem to keep our hands off of anything. I wish I was going. sad.gif
JRust
Okay I've had a few hickups since WCR. Most of which are my fault I guess. When I couldn't get it going there. I brought it home deciding to throw my carbs on to get my motor broken in while I figured out my FI problem. I got part way into installing my carbs & decided I should just get it going with my FI. After not having it ready for WCR I figured I have time. So I wanted to do it right & once no matter how long it took. I also was ready to pour gas over it & torch it dry.gif .

After talking with a local guy about his experience with a Porsche mechanic. I went by to talk with him & see if he would reinstall my FI. I told him my problems & he said no problem. As it was he had a 914 he needed a 2.0 motor for. I had a running spare in my garage. We struck a deal that he would get my motor for his work. I dropped it off Memorial day. Turns out he could not get to my car then. My car ended up sitting outside in the rain headbang.gif . We are now 4 months later & besides the incredibly long wait. Not to mention a few hickups. I won't go into them. Let's just say it was par for the course on this restoration dry.gif .

Tommorow morning is supposed to be the day it starts. Please everyone cross your fingers that it starts & runs like it should. My luck with the car has to change at some point right confused24.gif . I want so much to bring my car back home. Driving it home would be even better
computers4kids
It will start today Jamie...I'm crossing my toes as well for extra measure.
NORD

rolleyes.gif popcorn[1].gif driving.gif

Lets GO GO GO Hope this is the Day!
JRust
Big flippin surprise! I can't get ahold of the guy. Bet my car is just sitting outside once again mad.gif . I've gotten this we should be ready friday before. I can guaranDamntee I will never take my 914 here again. You'd think I would be numb to this by now. NOPE I'm flippin pissed again fyou1.gif
PanelBilly
I was thinking there's no way I'll get my car on the road before you do...

but something tells me I may have a chance.
JRust
One thing I have learned with this resto! If I am having someone else work on my car. They are giving me a timetable. My paint took forever(over a year) as did my motor rebuild. Only things that got done in a timely manner I did myself. Well except for the fender section which my seattle teener croud helped me do smile.gif
(thanks again). I am an understanding guy. I have been a little to understanding with people during this resto. It has done nothing but cost me alot of time & money. I'm ready to torch the phucking thing again mad.gif
kphimself
When i first got my car i took it to a local VW place to have the engine looked over and get running (had no clue about these cars), after a month and 1600 bucks they got it running (a simple tune up) then they said i needed to have a new oil dip stick tube fabricated that cost me 450 then out of no where i got a call i need to pay 5,800 for a new engine, after i saw it running, they said it didn't work. The dip stick thing they made was put together out of clear silcone like you use on a window. All it needed was a new piece of rubber that connects between the blower and the block but they crimped it off and screwed me over. I won't name the place in VA beach but i feel your pain, i ended up rebuilding the engine myself and learned never to pay anyone for work on a car, might not come out perfect but at least i'll learn in the process and it will get done in a timely manner. Shit it can't be any worse then these fools that call them shelf experts.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(JRust @ Oct 15 2010, 06:32 PM) *

One thing I have learned with this resto! If I am having someone else work on my car. They are giving me a timetable. My paint took forever(over a year) as did my motor rebuild. Only things that got done in a timely manner I did myself. Well except for the fender section which my seattle teener croud helped me do smile.gif
(thanks again). I am an understanding guy. I have been a little to understanding with people during this resto. It has done nothing but cost me alot of time & money. I'm ready to torch the phucking thing again mad.gif

If I were going to pay someone to rebuild an engine - it would be Mark DeBernardi at Original Customs. For a stock rebuild or a 2056 he can turn it around in very little time. Highly recommend! Plus, he has a really big brain... biggrin.gif
AndyB
But something to remember is the fact that we here on the East Coast have few available 914 Shops. For example the closest 914 owner to me is SWL in Ontario. Racer Chris is 5 hours away and that literally is the closest person that I would trust to work on my teener.
JRust
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Oct 16 2010, 05:41 AM) *

If I were going to pay someone to rebuild an engine - it would be Mark DeBernardi at Original Customs. For a stock rebuild or a 2056 he can turn it around in very little time. Highly recommend! Plus, he has a really big brain... biggrin.gif

Yeah if he were closer that would have happened a long time ago sad.gif . If I have someone else build another motor for me. I may just ship it down to McMark. I have no plans of doing another resto anytime soon. I am going to lay low for a while & quit buying 914's. Going to sell at least 3 of my current cars. Get back to working on my v8 conversion. Debating on selling my roler Aubergine flared car also. Have most everything I need to do another v8 in it. Just not sure I want to do it. I want to get back to my buick 215 v8 914. Time for me to enjoy driving a 914 again.
ConeDodger
Shipping both ways to McMark is no big deal. All you need is a pallet and some banding equipment. He has even delivered an engine to RDenauer or something like that. He is quick and reliable and runs 11+ minute miles. Not that it's relevent but I thought I would throw that in there biggrin.gif
JRust
For the most part my Creamsicle has been just sitting at this shop. Ouside getting rained on icon8.gif . Guy is really nice & I have just let this go on way to long. Swapped him a good 2.0 motor for the work he was supposed to be doing. Redid the FI system. Added all new vacumn hoses. Still not working & my distributor had issues. Sent it to McMark to get rebuilt. Had him rebuild it & got it back ready to install. Still not working. My fuel pump went bad. Brought him another I had on the shelf. I know it was working fine when pulled but had been sitting a good year & a half. Bagged on a shelf & looked brand new. It was completely dead. So I have another one coming from Craig at Camp. I'll drop it off wednesday. If it doesn't work or there is just another issue. I am going to finally just bring it home & figure it out.

I only took it to this guy because I was extremely frustrated at not figuring it out. He was supposed to be a FI guru & a good wrench. So I figured lets just get it finished & working. I dropped it off memorial day last year. It's been a nightmare having my car sitting out period. I should have just picked it up long ago. Guy had some health issues & a divorce. So I was okay getting put off some. Got kind of out of sight out of mind. I'll get an update next week. At least it still looks good huh confused24.gif
JRust
I went by today to visit my Creamsicle. Supposedly they will be firing it up friday. I have heard this about 20 times so I am not holding my breath. I did tell him it's about time for it to come back home running or not. So I tell him I am picking it up next wednesday no matter what.
I will bring it home & get back to working on it. If I can't figure it out I will take it to a shop I can trust to get it going. Mark Whitesell recommended a place by him I will try. If not I may just make a trip down to see McMark smile.gif
Cheapsnake
Jamie, you are a saint to put up with this guy for so long. Hope it fires up friday and makes the wait worthwhile. piratenanner.gif

Tom
PBC914
Beautiful car, and amazing work. Good luck and send lots of pics.

Paul
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(JRust @ Apr 19 2011, 06:32 PM) *

I went by today to visit my Creamsicle. Supposedly they will be firing it up friday. I have heard this about 20 times so I am not holding my breath. I did tell him it's about time for it to come back home running or not. So I tell him I am picking it up next wednesday no matter what.
I will bring it home & get back to working on it. If I can't figure it out I will take it to a shop I can trust to get it going. Mark Whitesell recommended a place by him I will try. If not I may just make a trip down to see McMark smile.gif

Too bad you aren't closer this way, my guy would have it running in a day. Hell, as much as I have been learning about d-jet lately I could probably get it going. confused24.gif
montoya 73 2.0
If you decide to go down south and you would like some company, i could roadtrip with you.

QUOTE(JRust @ Apr 19 2011, 04:32 PM) *

JRust
I brought my LE home today. After 10 months of being at this shop. I am in the same boat as when I dropped it off. Well some parts have been replaced. Not sure if I am any closer though. I won't get to mess with it until late saturday
Mike Bellis
Dude... You need to get that thing running... sad.gif
computers4kids
OK guys, how about a Saturday work party at Jamie's place...there so many talented 914 gurus in the area--this is one 914 that deserves to be at this year's WCR under its own power.
Jamie...you have been amazingly patient. I wish I was closer.
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(computers4kids @ Apr 26 2011, 08:33 PM) *

OK guys, how about a Saturday work party at Jamie's place...there so many talented 914 gurus in the area--this is one 914 that deserves to be at this year's WCR under its own power.
Jamie...you have been amazingly patient. I wish I was closer.

agree.gif
If only I was closer...
JRust
I will be doing some troubleshooting this saturday afternoon. I can't get to it any sooner. I will figure out where I stand then. I really have no idea where I am at right now with it. I may bring it down & leave it with McMark. Just let him figure it out & write a check when I pick it up to drive it home confused24.gif . I will put some time in it before that happens. Still I have 2 other conversions I need to work on. I just want this finished & running. Then it is going up for sale. Hell it would be for sale now if what I could get not running wouldn't be insulting dry.gif
JRust
Yeah I am working on this again tommorow! Wish me luck huh.gif
JRust
Okay well first thing was I needed a battery. Next I started checking wires. Fuel pump wasn't plugged in. Next was my distributor that McMark rebuilt for me was still sitting in the passenger seat. So I started by replacing the old distributor with the rebuilt one with petronix in it. I managed to get the wires backwords on the coil though headbang.gif . There was only the one green wire coming off the old distributor. I assumed that was the hot wire & not the ground. So I put the red hotwire from the new distributor on the same side the green wire was headbang.gif . Once I went to try turning it over I got smoke dry.gif . So out came the new rebuilt distributor hissyfit.gif . I put the old one back in & went to start it again. Turns over no problem but not firing. I listen for the fuel pump & don't hear anything. I then have my wife come out to turn on the car while I am under by the fuel pump. turning on the key doesn't make any difference with the pump. So it isn't getting power. I checked fuses & swapped relays. Next I am going to hotwire it to see if it is the pump.
JRust
Okay so I hotwired the fuel pump. Even straight power I get nothing. So the fuel pump is toast. I sprayed a little starter fluid in the intake. Got a nice little cough which is an improvement. Right now the fuel pump needs replaced. Which strangely enough was one problem at the shop. He said my fuel pump was flat out dead. I brought him 2 different pumps. 1st was bad & leaked. The second one I brought him was a good working unit. He told me he had put the fuel pump in dry.gif . I'm thinking it was just one of those times he tried to make me think he did some work on it. I'd be willing to bet the fuel pump I dropped off is sitting somewhere at his shop. I'll be calling him to see if thats the case. If not this is the second pump in the car that is completely dead. Which means there is some problem causing that. I don't have another pump so I'm stuck waiting until I do
Cheapsnake
QUOTE(JRust @ Apr 30 2011, 01:58 PM) *

Okay so I hotwired the fuel pump. Even straight power I get nothing. So the fuel pump is toast. I sprayed a little starter fluid in the intake. Got a nice little cough which is an improvement. Right now the fuel pump needs replaced. Which strangely enough was one problem at the shop. He said my fuel pump was flat out dead. I brought him 2 different pumps. 1st was bad & leaked. The second one I brought him was a good working unit. He told me he had put the fuel pump in dry.gif . I'm thinking it was just one of those times he tried to make me think he did some work on it. I'd be willing to bet the fuel pump I dropped off is sitting somewhere at his shop. I'll be calling him to see if thats the case. If not this is the second pump in the car that is completely dead. Which means there is some problem causing that. I don't have another pump so I'm stuck waiting until I do

Jamie, there's a special place in heaven for guys like you and a special place in hell for your mechanic. We're pulling for you.

Tom
computers4kids
QUOTE(JRust @ Apr 30 2011, 02:58 PM) *

I sprayed a little starter fluid in the intake. Got a nice little cough

Cough is good news. piratenanner.gif What kind of mechanic did you bring your car to? You gave him a good 2ltr for his work...I'm sorry for sounding a bit put out, but a year later???

Test the voltage at the fuel pump harness before you connect another pump. Also make sure the relay is good and the fuse hasn't been rigged. It's hard to believe you had 2-3 bad pumps, but hey who knows. Might want to just hot wire the next pump for now and see if you can get your motor running.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.