Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Atlanta transmission rebuild clinic planning thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Dr Evil
Nope, Ga is a far south as I am going. I am already booked up. So, show up smile.gif

I havent had a chance to get in touch with my contact at AA yet. Maybe tomorrow if class work allows.
Joe Owensby
Let us all know when the details are worked out. JoeO
Dr Evil
I've been tasked so this has been slipping. Let me get in touch with the contact guy. smile.gif
Dr Evil
Okey Dokey, I talked with Sean at AA and we are on. smilie_pokal.gif

So, those of you that are going to be builders need to PM me so I can give you the payment info.
Dr Evil
George has been nice enough to give us breakfast and lunch for both days smile.gif

I am still waiting to hear back from some of you who said you would be paying.
FourBlades
OK, I am in for one box maybe two, if the DR thinks this looks ok to rebuild:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

A few more pictures in my 1973 restoration thread. This is the box that came
with the car, it looks surprisingly nice inside to my untrained eye. Spins freely,
gear shifters move freely.

Whatcha think?

John
Dr Evil
Looks good so far, but I can not tell what parts you will need for 1st as they are obscured. Remove 1st slider and take pics of the teeth and the band on both the parts.
FourBlades

OK, will do tonight. Should I remove the 3/4 slider also?

John
Dr Evil
No such animal as a 3-4 slider wink.gif
FourBlades

Right! Next thing you are going to tell me is that my case of turn signal
fluid is no good...

SGB
we will have no 3-4 sliding around here, ye scoundrel!

10OCtober is firm friends?
I almost lost track of this...

smile.gif
Dr Evil
Oct 10 is firm smile.gif
Zimms
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

My case needs to be cleaned before i get there. Do you want us to bring everything disassembled and cleaned, or will we do that during the rebuild? (Minus the outer case)

Thanks,

Mark
Dr Evil
Mark,
Excellent pics! It is hard to read them due to the "mud?" on everything. Disassembly is up to you if you have the tools. I will be bringing some special tools to the clinic for this. If you could clean up the stack a bit so that the wear surfaces of the synchro bands are visible that would help out a lot. Then take some more pics. So far it looks promising, but it is hard to be sure.
Dr Evil
The list of paid students has been updated smile.gif
D1A3
I'm in! My car likes to grind into first and sometimes second. Hopefully I can get everything dropped this weekend and take some pics. Let me know what you want me to do to be firmed up on your list...

Thanks for coming down to the A-T-L!!!!!

-- Jason
Dr Evil
Jason,
PM me if you are going to be a builder.
ncfj40
Is it to late to get in on this as a builder?

I have a 914 tail shifter that I need to rebuild and convert for installation into a VW bug. Anyone have the needed nose cone and hockey stick?
obscurity
Trying to get the transmission apart. This is my first disassembly so I' sure I'm missing something simple. I've exposed all the tail end gears and am trying to remove the stack. It seems to slide up about 1/8" and then stops.

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

In the images above I am pointing to the gap that opens. I have seen some tutorials that suggest you have to remove the 30mm bolt at the top of the stack and disassemble that half before the whole thing slides out but most of the picks from others seem to have those gears intact. What am I missing?

thanks,
john

sorry about the poor quality of the picture. Its is a cellphone pic in the dark
obscurity
ok I found Dr. Evils tutorial on how to remove the stack. but I have a few problems. First the shift console seems hoplessly stuck in it hole. I can't get it to budge. Second, when I engage 5th gear it does not seem to lock the transmission.

Any thoughts?
John
Dr Evil
John, by not following the instructions to begin with you have jammed the shift console in the stack. You will now have to drive the roll pin out of the outer ball doodad and pull the console off leaving the selector rod in. Then you can get the selector rod out. No biggie, but I wish I had better news for you wink.gif
obscurity
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Sep 22 2009, 01:41 AM) *

John, by not following the instructions to begin with you have jammed the shift console in the stack. You will now have to drive the roll pin out of the outer ball doodad and pull the console off leaving the selector rod in. Then you can get the selector rod out. No biggie, but I wish I had better news for you wink.gif

I am not in front of the trans right now but I can't remember a ball. I should mention this is a tailshifter. Is the ball on the sideshift.

Sorry for the trouble,
John
Dr Evil
No worries about the trouble, its not my transmission wink.gif

Since it is a tail shifter, did you remove the plug on the side where the side shift console would have been. You must to this to get the stack out. You do not have the ball thing, it would be there instead of the plug. The plug is on the left side and is held in with 2 nuts.
obscurity
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Sep 22 2009, 12:05 PM) *

No worries about the trouble, its not my transmission wink.gif

Since it is a tail shifter, did you remove the plug on the side where the side shift console would have been. You must to this to get the stack out. You do not have the ball thing, it would be there instead of the plug. The plug is on the left side and is held in with 2 nuts.

The plug will not budge. I don't know if it is glued or if something inside can hold it in place but it doesn't want to move. I beat on it for about an hour last night.

John
Dr Evil
It SHOULD just be a paper seal, but amateurs like to put sealant where it dont belong. Get a driver under the lip and pry. It must and will come out. PB blast it to release the gasket.
obscurity
Finally got the cover off and this is what's inside (finally):

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

What do you think?
Dr Evil
cant tell 2nd and 3rd from those pics, but it looks like a good start smile.gif
JazonJJordan
yellowsleep[1].gif Fellas, I was snoozing...
but I want on the boat. I'm in for the 10th and as a paying attendee if I can get things ready by then.
Sir Evil, I have funds standing by. I will see if I can get over to the shop and pull my engine/trans and pull the stack for photos. smash.gif

I am already off for the 10th but have to find a place to stay that night too~ huh.gif
Hopefully coming up with my white 73 also. shades.gif
Dr Evil
What is cool about this clinic is that we are not full so late comers are fine and it is at AA so parts should be available smile.gif
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Oct 1 2009, 12:41 AM) *

What is cool about this clinic is that we are not full so late comers are fine and it is at AA so parts should be available smile.gif

Can scratch me off spectator list as I am going to the football game instead.
Dr Evil
Well, the hell with you then mad.gif

Just kidding. I dont worry about the spectators, its the paid people that I need to keep track of wink.gif
plas76targa
Mike - reminde me, before we leave Frederick, to bring the ECC 2008 shirt that should go to "Stepup2theMike". (I believe that what's left on the list Rich L kept)

T-8 days to a 680 mile roadtrip!
michaelmoo
PM sent.

Here is the guts of it. I've only had an issue with 1st grinding. But the other gears felt fine.
stepuptotheMike
QUOTE(plas76targa @ Oct 1 2009, 08:55 AM) *

Mike - reminde me, before we leave Frederick, to bring the ECC 2008 shirt that should go to "Stepup2theMike". (I believe that what's left on the list Rich L kept)

T-8 days to a 680 mile roadtrip!

Wow... I had totally forgot about that! Awesome that you have it.

Unfortunately, it looks like I'm going to have a family thing the weekend of the 10th and won't be able to attend the clinic.

When are you guys heading down the road? I'm assuming that you will be coming down 85 towards ATL, if so, you'll run right through Charlotte. Could potentially meet up at a pitstop.

Mike
ncfj40
So We took ours apart today. Is there anything in particular that you would like pictures of?

Should I try to re-assemble to bring to the clinic or should I just leave it apart?

Should we bring hand tools or anything?

Jay
obscurity
A few more pics of the stack. Hopfully these are clearer.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
bag5rcg
Hi...I am in...I live about a half hour from AA....From what I am reading it sounds like this is a 2 dayer...Saturday/Sunday?...I will probably make Sunday.
FourBlades

Can someone recommend some hotels near AutoAtlanta? It might be cool if
everyone staying in hotels picked the same one. I'd rather pay more than stay
in a questionable area.

I plan to arrive friday evening because its a 500+ mile drive.

I also plan to bring some extra parts to sell or swap, bring stuff you don't
need and lets save some shipping.

John
JimmyG
Well... Looks like I will be there to be a builder! I will not have time to break down the tranny so it's going to be a surprise. I am really looking forward to this. I have never worked on these before so I'm going to look like a bull in a china shop so ya'll look out for flying parts!
Can't help John with the place, I will let you know if I get something set up. May stay with family there.
Thanks for getting on the list so late Dr. Be looking forward to meeting you all
Jimmy
SGB
A few weekends back I stayed here:
Drury Inn & Suites: Marietta Area
1170 Powers Ferry PlMarietta, GA 30067-6404
It is off Cobb Pkwy, just a few miles from AA. They have good breakfast and free drinks/ hor devores in the evening. I think it was $59.00

Also, there is a Motel 6 (cheaper) and a few others there at I-75 and Cobb
SGB
Hey Doc-
What is the agenda? When will the actual clinic get underway? How long have the others lasted?
I'll probably drive over, hang out, and drive back. What time Saturday will you folks get started?
Zimms
What tools should we bring with us?
Dr Evil
Mike Moore – from the pics all looks well, but I can not see the contact surface of the 1st gear parts so I can not tell you about it. Take the 1st gear fork off (one 13mm bolt and it slides off) and take pics of the teeth on the slider and the dog teeth on the gear.

Jay – see the pics I am requesting of Mike. Take pics of all the contact areas where the selectors touch the gear parts. I’ll make and post a pic. Leave it apart. Bring hand tools to the clinic. I will have the special ones, you will need to supply things like breaker bar, 13mm socket and wratchet, 14mm socket, etc.

Obscurity – your 2nd gear is TOAST. The dog teeth are GONE, the slider is going to be toothless and the synchro band is shiny (=bad). 1st is looking pretty rough as well. Remove it and take pics as I described in the beginning of this post for Mike.

Bag5rcg – yes 2 days, long hours.

Fourblades – extra parts are a good thing  I will be getting in Fri as well with Matt.

SGB – Since I am not a morning person I like to start later in the morning, but it will depend on AA for when I can work. I will start as early as 9am, but 10 am is good as well. I tend to go until midnight on both days depending on who sticks around. At the Canada one we worked from morning until midnight because there were people there that wanted to keep working 

Zimms – see reply to Jay
Dr Evil
ALL:

Since AA has offered to feed us they need an accurate count (specify Sat, Sun or both as both days are food days). Thus, if you are in as a builder or a spectator please post so here (again) so I can get the most recent total for them.

Also, George has said that he is stocking some parts for us which is kick ass! Thus, between new at a discounted price and used at a discounted price you are all getting nicely hooked up smile.gif
904svo
I will be there both days
Dr Evil
If you have paid me you dont have to rerespond wink.gif I got your $ so I have your name.

SVO, you are now accounted for.
JimmyG
Doc
I will be there both days as a builder and give up the money when I see ya
Jimmy
dr914@autoatlanta.com
I have made a sort of group buy on the parts from one of our great suppliers and will have in stock saturday for attendees only a special deal on transmission parts new (and of course the used) But here are some part numbers and prices on the new stuff

Trans gasket kit 914 300 901 00 31.12
Syncro ring (five required) 911 302 301 06 76.70 each
1st reverse slider 911 302 226 00 399.14
2nd through 5th slider 911 302 411 10 180.95
1st gear dog teeth 911 302 241 06 140.40
2nd through 5th dog teeth 901 302 242 03 140.40
intermediate plate bearing 999 053 025 00 183.21
intermediate plate bearing 999 052 016 00 182.51

These are the latest and greatest prices. Also we are allowing everyone to stroll though the parts stacks to find any treasure they want at great prices as well.
Please come hungry. We are serving coffee juice and donuts in the morning and a sandwich chip and soda smorgasbord at lunch. Also we thought that everyone could go out that night and recount the stories.

ncfj40
My son and Ian and I will be there both days building. We will be paying day of.
Jay Wilson
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.