Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Atlanta transmission rebuild clinic planning thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
smg914
Click to view attachment
JazonJJordan
(From owner-of-the-last-box:) smash.gif Thanks Mike and thanks George! I enjoyed the expertise and depth of knowledge you lent and soon, I will be on the road again~

Great group and great weekend- I enjoyed that much//JazonJJordan// shades.gif
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Oct 11 2009, 08:43 PM) *

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Oct 10 2009, 11:24 PM) *

QUOTE(montoya 73 2.0 @ Oct 11 2009, 01:12 AM) *

Doc, your looking a little rough around the edges? You come over here all shaven and now you look like moses after coming out of the desert! confused24.gif What's the dealio buddy? poke.gif

My garage ain't go no heat, but my winter's got plenty cold. face warmer's helpful.

Zach

We missed you here Zach! The doc and the doc are still here finishing up the last gearbox and William is cleaning up. Just got back from dropping off Steve at the airport. Great weekend. (long) We know Evil is going to be a great doc with that kind of dedication. Hopefully not working for the Government health care system though!!!!

Richard Casto
Looks like a good time was had by all! Sorry, I had to miss it. It was my wifes birthday.
FourBlades

Wow, great set of pictures Steve! smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif

They really captured what it was like to be there.

What a great time. Big thanks to the Doc, who looks does bear more than a little
resemblance to Dr. Zoidberg in person. laugh.gif What a patient guy helping all these
newbies who don't know synchro rings from dog teeth.

Another big thanks to George and his staff, who really spent a lot of time and
effort getting ready and stayed all weekend supporting the event. If you have
never visited Auto Atlanta, it is really worth seeing. All the cool cars plus
thousands of parts and super knowledgable and friendly people.

Finally, thanks to all the people attending who helped me out with my trans,
loaned me tools, and took pictures while my hands were covered in oil. A
really laid back and friendly group.

John

michaelmoo
First I’d like to say a huge thanks to George for allowing us to do this class at Automobile Atlanta. It was the perfect place for it. It was very gracious of you to let all of us take over your building for two days.

Second, Dr. Evil (Mike) was a fantastic teacher. If anyone is reading this and if he is having another class near you. Take it. But again a big thanks to Mike. I’m so glad my trans has been rebuilt to go along with my newly rebuilt engine.

Third it was great seeing new people and others that I’ve meet along the way in the Porsche world or through racing. Always great to talk cars!! And I’m sure my wife appreciated the car talk break…

I hope that Dr. Evil had a good time while he was here. I know he liked Williams brothers BBQ.

Joe no problem letting you use Thor. They still make them. www.thorhammer.com
The new ones look a little different since mine was made in the early 60’s. Funny story. I was broken into about 10 years ago and every one of my tools was stolen. Every one of my Craftsmen and Snap-On tools that dated from the 1960’s to the 1990’s were gone. The only tool they left was Thor. Maybe they were scared of its awesome power. I don’t know. But I’m glad I still have it.

I had a great time (outside of my sinus cold I had) and would love to have more classes like this in the future.
JFJ914
QUOTE(michaelmoo @ Oct 12 2009, 11:09 AM) *

First I’d like to say a huge thanks to George for allowing us to do this class at Automobile Atlanta. It was the perfect place for it. It was very gracious of you to let all of us take over your building for two days.

Second, Dr. Evil (Mike) was a fantastic teacher. If anyone is reading this and if he is having another class near you. Take it. But again a big thanks to Mike. I’m so glad my trans has been rebuilt to go along with my newly rebuilt engine.

Third it was great seeing new people and others that I’ve meet along the way in the Porsche world or through racing. Always great to talk cars!! And I’m sure my wife appreciated the car talk break…

I couldn't say it any better! Thank you George and Mike. I could only stay for a short time Sat afternoon but could see this was THE Atlanta 914 event of 2009.
Al Meredith
Thanks to all involved , I had a great time ! Thanks to Steve for sharing pictures of AA for all that have never been there. AL
carr914
I wish I knew who was who or was this taken at the Atlanta Mental Health Clinic? biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment
carr914
Nice Looking car drooley.gif Ivory?

Click to view attachment

JimmyG
Had a great time!!! As already mentioned, thanks to Mike and George. One extra thing I would like to mention is thanks to the spectators. For transmission newbies like myself, who were all glassy-eyed, knee-deep in a hundred parts that were unidentifiable in the beginning, the spectators had the opportunity to move about and watch the assembly process by others and were a great help to me in between visits from the doctor. So if you go to one of Mike's clinics and are not prepared to build yourself, rest assured your help is appreciated. I'll be looking forward to getting the Dr. Evil video!

Jimmy

plas76targa
Ditto what Michaelmoo said - George, I appreciate you and your staff for hosting the event and graciously answering our many questions, and thank you for the floor space to work on my non-transmission related problems.

Mike (Dr Evil) and I left Atlanta area at 10 pm Sunday evening and drove all night to Frederick, MD with only one 'almost' major breakdown. We had stopped to switch drivers and 'pit stop' around 3 am west of Bristol, TN. Only to find a nice fuel leak from a ruptured line at the #3 injector. Fixed that but the car wouldn't start. Tried everything and finally settled on timing issue - moved the dizzy just enough to start and Vroom the car starts. Brought out the strobe light, checked the timing at 3500 and off we went. That little 1.7 with 50 series tires just sang at 4 grand and 80 mph. I took a picture of the offending fuel line. I'll download later.

Thanks again George and Dr Evil. It was great meeting many of you and regretfully there were a few I did NOT get a chance to chat with due to fussing with my car both days. At least as the Dr's chauffer I wasn't focused on a transmission.
Zimms
Mike - Thank you for your time, patience and insight. I am looking forward to rebuilding aboother one soon.

George - Thank you for making you place home for all of us and havingrepalcements readily available.

I had a great time meeting and talking to everyone.

Mark
obscurity
Mike and George,

Thanks for your patience and hospitaity! I had a blast and learned a lot. Met a bunch of fun people and saw some really nice cars. I find myself strangely excited to build another transmission. It was a very rewarding experience. Now I just need classes in body work and engine rebuilding and my car might make it back on the road biggrin.gif

We need to organize these sorts of things more often.

John
dr914@autoatlanta.com
I am very very happy that everyone had a great time but more importantly to me was the fact that I had at Automobile true fellow 914 enthusiasts who share my deep passion for the car. Guys like you justify my whole existence and the fact that I have dedicated my life to the preservation of the marque.
Yes we should do it again, the clinic went beyond the typical get together in the fact that we were all working together for a common goal.
Thank you Doc for taking your valuable weekend to lead the way, and bring us all together. Such a great group of guys with an overwhelming passion.
If anyone has an idea for a future clinic I would welcome the idea and someone to lead it (for example installation of springs and shocks, or major service, or installation of new carpet, or rebuilding of calipers, or anything that you can think of better than I.
Again thank you all for keeping the 914 alive and your deep dedication to the marque. George
bag5rcg
I would love to have an engine clinic next ..... I'm sure allot of us have one or many engines sitting around just waiting to be rebuilt...I know I have a few
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(bag5rcg @ Oct 13 2009, 02:37 PM) *

I would love to have an engine clinic next ..... I'm sure allot of us have one or many engines sitting around just waiting to be rebuilt...I know I have a few

The engine clinic could be accomplished if we set it up ahead of time with rebuilt parts and new parts already on the premises. The only other way to accomplish this would to just rebuild one engine while everyone watches and someone narrates. That is why Doc's clinic was so good.....EVERYONE could actually rebuild their transmissions at our shop and with doc's assistance. And that is what I really liked about it. Everyone was accomplishing something for themselves, and the camaraderie and assistance was top notch
JazonJJordan
Thank you George for being a most gracious host, master technician and supplier on the spot, there and ready.
I would not have ventured unless this had come together and I understand much better the inner workings and felt the fellowship of 914ers.
Tools were shared with me and even left for me to finish my two boxes late Sunday. Several helped me taking them apart -into unknown territory and again Mike put one together right. Perfect parts were delivered by George and sage advice.
Meanwhile Matt's orange beauty was tuned, front bearings were renewed for the drive home to Maryland with Dr. Evil -Mike- as copilot 10? hrs.
Bill built two completely, I brought two -completed one and one as spare parts for now. Brian shared tools and efforts and muscle I did not have enough of.
We all scrubbed a lot, my arms were numb from the hrs of soaking -in cleaner- no doubt.
The awesome ivory gt clone returned for engine adjustments -blown engine-, several roadsters nicely completed rolled through. The tour is a museum and graveyard holds hope and despair in both hands. A lot of 914s...gave their lives...so these may live on...a few died of Trauma but most died tragically of cancer; rustoration-dēficientia. A lack of repair or care -sadly. A few from fires-

I prepose a surgical class weekend.
Day1)Rent a commercial compressor and blast registered attendees with before and after photos and video for the members to see the great progress made here.
3 blasters can run at the same time. Get down to surface to see what is really needed. Trailer the cars there over the weekend or before. George can blast some of his old cars that have been sitting or for parts if the roster is not full otherwise.
Day 2)Weld floor-longs or consoles tacked into place, then fully welded. Everything exosed could be primed and wait until further work later and completely sealed at home. This would let you prep the car in a single set, see what you have under-neath and weld it right one time by the best or yourself in one day/night. Prepare to repair in the worse scenario and have steel ready or cash ready to get it done and get them out of there. If it looks better under-neath (it seldom does-) then you are cured of cancer in one weekend. Take it home and seal it like a -insert metaphor-, and put all the little and big pieces back on it yu took off and drive the thing for 30more years. Oh yeah, after some bodywork and paint. The hardest part is over. Go strip your car now!

We would need:

1) 15- Cars in Southeast states area (or further-) that can be stripped to frame and can be placed on flat trailer.
2) 5- 914 rotisserie.

3) 1-commercial compressor 1-backup source if needed.

4) blasting media- soda probably and walnut shells.

5) 5 welders and 2 weldors that are very good to excellent. Plus supplies.

6) Naked photos of each car stripped and area's of cancer concern/We need enough consoles, engine trays and floorboards to cover every possbility that te photos indicate.
7) We need the steel indicated as needed + $ for same.

8) We need to work 5 cars at a time. Logistics planner. Moving things along.
First #1&2 are blasted.Moved to cleaning.
2nd #1 moved to Techical Eval and plan formed.
3rd #2 moved to Technical Eval an plan formed.
4th #3&4 are blasted.Moved to cleaning.
5th #3 moved Techical Eval and plan formed.
6th #4 moved Techical Eval and plan formed.
7th #5 is blasted. Moved to cleaning.
8th #5 moved Techical Eval and plan formed.

this repeats in 4 hr blocks until all are complete. 4hr+4hr+4hrs done.

Second day is similar but steps include removal by plasma cutter or other device sawzall-smiley.gif
fitment smash.gif and alignment, then tac welding and then full welding.
Car off rotisserie onto trailer again, ready to go.
Discount if -you- bring your car, gas charge by Google Maps mileage calculated.
Pick up and delivery. Discount for Rotisserie, welder or Weldor truck or trailer. Got one?
$500 plus gas cost to pic up drop off.
Steel brought can be used- discounted price from 914 suppliers as bulk buy.
I would hand over $500 to get this done once and for all. Weld my teener solid as a tree! Cancer cure requires photos demonstating car is bare a month before pickup and covered by a tarp-ready to go. Consultations given for poss expense so we can save up- schedules are signed for whoever wants to go early morn or afternoon and is contacted day to to ensure smooth progress.

This is what would have the greatest impact for those that need the most.
This is easily the cheapest way to save a 914 tothe core-when 10 of those 15 would be lost.
It will produce results that most could not match at home at any price.
It will move sales and put 15 living breathing and healthy 914s backon the road.
This would be an ideal time for paint- new wiring harness-new lights-locks-new interior-anything and everything. Dead 914s don't need parts-right?
These are are local but this is repeatable anywhere as an example.
Could we do this? Anyone-? Would this be feasable?
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Excellent idea and easily done if the coordination was handled. The only problem is the space. would be great to do outside on a spring day. We could CERTAINLY handle the welding on the cars and the piecing of the new parts.
Sounds like something Jason could set up and coordinate!!!!

QUOTE(JazonJJordan @ Oct 13 2009, 03:43 PM) *

Thank you George for being a most gracious host, master technician and supplier on the spot, there and ready.
I would not have ventured unless this had come together and I understand much better the inner workings and felt the fellowship of 914ers.
Tools were shared with me and even left for me to finish my two boxes late Sunday. Several helped me taking them apart -into unknown territory and again Mike put one together right. Perfect parts were delivered by George and sage advice.
Meanwhile Matt's orange beauty was tuned, front bearings were renewed for the drive home to Maryland with Dr. Evil -Mike- as copilot 10? hrs.
Bill built two completely, I brought two -completed one and one as spare parts for now. Brian shared tools and efforts and muscle I did not have enough of.
We all scrubbed a lot, my arms were numb from the hrs of soaking -in cleaner- no doubt.
The awesome ivory gt clone returned for engine adjustments -blown engine-, several roadsters nicely completed rolled through. The tour is a museum and graveyard holds hope and despair in both hands. A lot of 914s...gave their lives...so these may live on...a few died of Trauma but most died tragically of cancer; rustoration-dēficientia. A lack of repair or care -sadly. A few from fires-

I prepose a surgical class weekend.
Day1)Rent a commercial compressor and blast registered attendees with before and after photos and video for the members to see the great progress made here.
3 blasters can run at the same time. Get down to surface to see what is really needed. Trailer the cars there over the weekend or before. George can blast some of his old cars that have been sitting or for parts if the roster is not full otherwise.
Day 2)Weld floor-longs or consoles tacked into place, then fully welded. Everything exosed could be primed and wait until further work later and completely sealed at home. This would let you prep the car in a single set, see what you have under-neath and weld it right one time by the best or yourself in one day/night. Prepare to repair in the worse scenario and have steel ready or cash ready to get it done and get them out of there. If it looks better under-neath (it seldom does-) then you are cured of cancer in one weekend. Take it home and seal it like a -insert metaphor-, and put all the little and big pieces back on it yu took off and drive the thing for 30more years. Oh yeah, after some bodywork and paint. The hardest part is over. Go strip your car now!

We would need:

1) 15- Cars in Southeast states area (or further-) that can be stripped to frame and can be placed on flat trailer.
2) 5- 914 rotisserie.

3) 1-commercial compressor 1-backup source if needed.

4) blasting media- soda probably and walnut shells.

5) 5 welders and 2 weldors that are very good to excellent. Plus supplies.

6) Naked photos of each car stripped and area's of cancer concern/We need enough consoles, engine trays and floorboards to cover every possbility that te photos indicate.
7) We need the steel indicated as needed + $ for same.

8) We need to work 5 cars at a time. Logistics planner. Moving things along.
First #1&2 are blasted.Moved to cleaning.
2nd #1 moved to Techical Eval and plan formed.
3rd #2 moved to Technical Eval an plan formed.
4th #3&4 are blasted.Moved to cleaning.
5th #3 moved Techical Eval and plan formed.
6th #4 moved Techical Eval and plan formed.
7th #5 is blasted. Moved to cleaning.
8th #5 moved Techical Eval and plan formed.

this repeats in 4 hr blocks until all are complete. 4hr+4hr+4hrs done.

Second day is similar but steps include removal by plasma cutter or other device sawzall-smiley.gif
fitment smash.gif and alignment, then tac welding and then full welding.
Car off rotisserie onto trailer again, ready to go.
Discount if -you- bring your car, gas charge by Google Maps mileage calculated.
Pick up and delivery. Discount for Rotisserie, welder or Weldor truck or trailer. Got one?
$500 plus gas cost to pic up drop off.
Steel brought can be used- discounted price from 914 suppliers as bulk buy.
I would hand over $500 to get this done once and for all. Weld my teener solid as a tree! Cancer cure requires photos demonstating car is bare a month before pickup and covered by a tarp-ready to go. Consultations given for poss expense so we can save up- schedules are signed for whoever wants to go early morn or afternoon and is contacted day to to ensure smooth progress.

This is what would have the greatest impact for those that need the most.
This is easily the cheapest way to save a 914 tothe core-when 10 of those 15 would be lost.
It will produce results that most could not match at home at any price.
It will move sales and put 15 living breathing and healthy 914s backon the road.
This would be an ideal time for paint- new wiring harness-new lights-locks-new interior-anything and everything. Dead 914s don't need parts-right?
These are are local but this is repeatable anywhere as an example.
Could we do this? Anyone-? Would this be feasable?

JazonJJordan
If those 914s just outside the garage are sales candidate's- they are real posibilities, a great way to buy a 914, stripped to the shell and restored (as practical) by you the buyer and then taken home to be completed.
I have two I woul consider right now- the yellow 916 clone and blue-red hooded one for my nephew.
You are right, as I paced it off last weekend, we would need that space for doing this. But remember- We are working only 5 at time so the completed cars can stack in your block-wall area and 5in the shop eans only 5 outside at most.
You actually have room on a weekend if the shop was empty of projects.
No problem. Even easier with those other cars moved alone as they occupy 15 spots at least and some have not moved for a while. Be nice to sell a few and renew them at the same time- Putting a few more on the road in good condition.
Just a thought, but as I said- their is enough room already in the block area and inside and just outside the garage. You have 4 candidate's in the blocked area alone that were stacking up...(haha)..we can certainly do it. shades.gif

Spring sounds good- if we run out of registered slots we can have another clinic.
I will need two slots if we can do it for $500 a restored car. I have two cars but might have two more by then. I can deliver a photo confirming it is stripped bare a month before the clinic and I have a truck and wood floored trailer that I can deliver my shell on- so I am applying for a discount as the car does not have to b picked up by th clinic or returned afterward.
I can also loan a 90amp flux wire welder and helmet and two compressors with trimmers an cutoff wheels and die grinders. I have a light commercial blaster with built in vacume to greatly reduce all dust and reclaims 85% of the reuseable media cutting that cost by 3/4+ to "sandblast" (not sand-). These are a few of the items I can contribute to the group to help everyone along.
I would like to choke out the procrastinators here and repeat, if you register for this I will pick up your car and return it too. So many will never come because it is just too difficult. Solved. However- if you deliver it early- there would be a discount refunded. You can make this cheap, down to buying relacement panels and the remaining fee to get ths done at the clinic, if we rent less gear because you bring more gear- everything costs less- of course. It is passed on to those members that contributed-costing them less. Details are -not- formed. How much who what- is not determined yet.
We have to start with the first (15 cars) registered atendees.
I just took the first two slots- now there is 13 slots left.
This will develope this week if there is interest.
It seems at least several months off at least-likely as George said- in the spring possibly.
It will likely be a weekend clinic of real work but still fun and relaxed overall.
I would like to see a BB grill and picnic in the works to keep costs down and food and drinks ready each day. Anyone got a BBQ grill? We would need a couple.
When we are finished we should have 15 structurally restored 914s back to the community. You could sell them as project cars after that. They go for $200-$600 and not parted out yet. If parted, every one of those shells are free then, but instead we let them go to the crusher. Only because we lack a clinic like this - what a differrence! It's the right thing to do...and a tasty way to do it...
IF offered as a clinic to fix your cancer hellhole and whatever you have, it is picked up on a trailer an returned to you after you strip it over the weekend and get it welded by you or a better welder-member; is that worth $500 + parts. It was going to cost those parts anyway- one way or another. So what is gettng it done- done right, done now worth? delivered and returned + gas?
JazonJJordan
Good suggestion, I would like one too- I would commit to this as I have 4 engines that I would like to rebuild too.
QUOTE(bag5rcg @ Oct 13 2009, 05:37 PM) *

VaccaRabite
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Oct 11 2009, 07:43 PM) *

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Oct 10 2009, 11:24 PM) *

QUOTE(montoya 73 2.0 @ Oct 11 2009, 01:12 AM) *

Doc, your looking a little rough around the edges? You come over here all shaven and now you look like moses after coming out of the desert! confused24.gif What's the dealio buddy? poke.gif

My garage ain't go no heat, but my winter's got plenty cold. face warmer's helpful.

Zach

We missed you here Zach! The doc and the doc are still here finishing up the last gearbox and William is cleaning up. Just got back from dropping off Steve at the airport. Great weekend. (long) We know Evil is going to be a great doc with that kind of dedication. Hopefully not working for the Government health care system though!!!!

Wished I could have come. I was in Texas settling my grandmothers estate, avoiding flu laden inlaws, and trying to de-stress over stressed people. Just got home, and it is NICE to be back in the world again.

Zach
Dr Evil
I think I am finally recovered from this ordeal. What a drive!

First, thanks to George and all at AA for hosting us, feeding us, and being available to help Matt fix up his car so that drive home was better.

Seeing the GT40 was pretty awe inspiring. That car wreaks of sex wink.gif
Being able to hang at AA was a treat as well. Who would have thunk it.
We had a great bunch of people, without a doubt.

The drive home seemed to have a touch of the divine involved. Matt has the times a little of and is missing some key points. We left at about 10pm from his brothers house. About 2:30-3am I pulled over at a gas station as I was getting sleepy and thirsty. When Matt tried to start the car there was no joy. WTF! So I open the cover and smell gas. I found the #3 injector hose had split and was leaking fuel all over the passenger side. I took a section of hose from the supply line and replaced #3. Then we tried to start it and still nothing. After futzing around with the engine I found that the dizzy had spun as far as it could CCW! OK, so I busted out the timing light and set the timing to the mark Matt had placed on the front rim of hte fan. It started up and off we went......then I felt that it was not running right as it was knocking under light load so I had Matt pull off at the next exit (Bristol, TN). I double checked the timing to only then be told that the white mark was the wrong mark and that I should be looking for the faint red mark (I was tired, Matt didn't tell me that the white mark he made was wrong, cut me some slack). So, I re-adjusted the timing and we were on our way with out any further issues. The drive beat me to death. When the car wouldnt start originally I was barely able to hold a screwdriver. I hate to imagine what would have happened if the timing would not have slipped causing me to look in the engine bay to find the fuel leak.

hot_shoe914
QUOTE(JazonJJordan @ Oct 13 2009, 06:19 PM) *

If those 914s just outside the garage are sales candidate's- they are real posibilities, a great way to buy a 914, stripped to the shell and restored (as practical) by you the buyer and then taken home to be completed.
I have two I woul consider right now- the yellow 916 clone and blue-red hooded one for my nephew.
You are right, as I paced it off last weekend, we would need that space for doing this. But remember- We are working only 5 at time so the completed cars can stack in your block-wall area and 5in the shop eans only 5 outside at most.
You actually have room on a weekend if the shop was empty of projects.
No problem. Even easier with those other cars moved alone as they occupy 15 spots at least and some have not moved for a while. Be nice to sell a few and renew them at the same time- Putting a few more on the road in good condition.
Just a thought, but as I said- their is enough room already in the block area and inside and just outside the garage. You have 4 candidate's in the blocked area alone that were stacking up...(haha)..we can certainly do it. shades.gif

Spring sounds good- if we run out of registered slots we can have another clinic.
I will need two slots if we can do it for $500 a restored car. I have two cars but might have two more by then. I can deliver a photo confirming it is stripped bare a month before the clinic and I have a truck and wood floored trailer that I can deliver my shell on- so I am applying for a discount as the car does not have to b picked up by th clinic or returned afterward.
I can also loan a 90amp flux wire welder and helmet and two compressors with trimmers an cutoff wheels and die grinders. I have a light commercial blaster with built in vacume to greatly reduce all dust and reclaims 85% of the reuseable media cutting that cost by 3/4+ to "sandblast" (not sand-). These are a few of the items I can contribute to the group to help everyone along.
I would like to choke out the procrastinators here and repeat, if you register for this I will pick up your car and return it too. So many will never come because it is just too difficult. Solved. However- if you deliver it early- there would be a discount refunded. You can make this cheap, down to buying relacement panels and the remaining fee to get ths done at the clinic, if we rent less gear because you bring more gear- everything costs less- of course. It is passed on to those members that contributed-costing them less. Details are -not- formed. How much who what- is not determined yet.
We have to start with the first (15 cars) registered atendees.
I just took the first two slots- now there is 13 slots left.
This will develope this week if there is interest.
It seems at least several months off at least-likely as George said- in the spring possibly.
It will likely be a weekend clinic of real work but still fun and relaxed overall.
I would like to see a BB grill and picnic in the works to keep costs down and food and drinks ready each day. Anyone got a BBQ grill? We would need a couple.
When we are finished we should have 15 structurally restored 914s back to the community. You could sell them as project cars after that. They go for $200-$600 and not parted out yet. If parted, every one of those shells are free then, but instead we let them go to the crusher. Only because we lack a clinic like this - what a differrence! It's the right thing to do...and a tasty way to do it...
IF offered as a clinic to fix your cancer hellhole and whatever you have, it is picked up on a trailer an returned to you after you strip it over the weekend and get it welded by you or a better welder-member; is that worth $500 + parts. It was going to cost those parts anyway- one way or another. So what is gettng it done- done right, done now worth? delivered and returned + gas?

I would like to maybe spice this up a bit by offering to let everyone have a hand in restoring my Bumble Bee. I can get her stripped and haul her down on a trailer. I have been stock piling parts for her and this sounds like a good time to kill her cancer. Even though she came from California with a blue plate for the last 20+ years, she started out in Indiana so there is some cancer. Question is will I be able to save enough money for a quality paint job by spring and also for other parts I may need. Not looking for a concourse winner but rather trying to preserve one of the few remaining LE's out there. My first LE, a creamsicle, was totaled less than 3 days after I got her from Bryan"Skip" Page, a former employee of Georges. This would be kind of a memorial to Skip as he was a true 914 enthusiast like George and a dear friend for nearly 30 years. I may be way out of line her and if so just tell me but if not let me know what I would need to do and have on hand and maybe this could be possible.

Donald

p.s. The lady I bought this car from sold me the car on the condition that I told her I wouldn't part with it and I have no plans of doing so. She and her husband both raced this car in the POC out in Los Angeles and they both truly loved this car. If this was to happen I would invite her out as this car is very special to her holding many fond memories of her late husband. It would also be a kind of memorial for her to her late husband. They both won the c-stock championship in this car back in '97. I am sure this would totally overwhlem her but bring her great joy at the same time. I'm not looking for anything free other than some labor as I would provide all parts needed or buy them from George if I don't already have them. She won't be getting all new parts as I am a poor man but trying to find very good used parts.
JazonJJordan
Good to meet you Donald- Jordan here~

Donald, that sounds great- a great story and what- this is all about;

A SouthEast clinic event to pick up 914 Cancer victims to blast them to bare metal, inspect them, weld them and reprotect them (finally) for a single weekend of member work, camaraderie and pooled talents and tools- welders, compressors, grinders and such.
Hosted in the spring at AutoAtlanta by George lending super tech support and advice and any sheet metal replacement panels or any other parts you might need to resurrect your 914 and get it back on the road in a few months...

I will count you in as:
#3- Attendee Donald's Black 1974 LE Bumblebee (Memphis-TN)
Myself as #2- Attendee Jordan's Red 1973 1.7 (Augusta-GA) and
again as #1- Attendee Jordan's White 1973 1.7 (Augusta-GA).

We will develope details as we go along and post a pic board of the coming cars as well. Glad to have you aboard- We will have to move this very soon to an opening thread also. -Jordan

The SouthEast 914 Cancer Clinic spring 2010' (SE9CC'10) gathers speed....

That now leaves;
15 slots (Jordan)
14 slots (Jordan)
13 slots (Donald)
12 slots left...
FourBlades

I'd be in for the body work clinic / thrash for welding or painting.

I would say you will need a team of workers for each car and use that to limit the
number of cars you try to do. Like maybe have 4 people per car or you will never
get it finished in 2 or 3 days. You could tailor this to what work each car needs.
Just longs is easy, floors are easy, if you have to do inner wheel houses and
suspension mounts that takes longer.

Rent a major, portable soda blaster or it will take forever to do the blasting.

Maybe George has some favorite wrecks he'd like saved that he can offer for sale?

John
JazonJJordan
*Moved to it's own thread- in GARAGE and under SouthEast 914 Cancer Clinic spring 2010* Thanks everyone- looks like we are a -Go!- already biggrin.gif * -Jordan
JazonJJordan
***Hi John- I also moved this to a thread under GARAGE and transfered everything over*under SouthEast 914 Cancer Clinic spring 2010***

John, I would agree, good points- which is why I felt it would have to be well sorted out and George noted all needed parts need to be available.

I was planning a timed dry run later to see what can be done, and 15 shells was the minimum to make it worthwhile generally.

PM me with ideas on methods to keep everything flowing, if you would. You seem to have a knack for this and I would enjoy your input in planning.

What we really seem to need are actual times with our proposed setup capacity that day too; I have blasted an entire car in a half hour but also have drug through one -for days. This is why I suggested the commercial unit that is used for commercial (like steel bridge work) jobs like jack hammer work too. Comes on a trailer moving 120 cfm or much more. You can run 3 blasters at the same time- no problem. They rent for a few hundred a day.

I will put you down also, thanks for the suggestion too. You are quite right or things won't flow easily. -Jordan

***Hi John- I also moved this to a thread under GARAGE and transfered everything over*under SouthEast 914 Cancer Clinic spring 2010***

QUOTE(FourBlades @ Oct 14 2009, 10:31 AM) *

I'd be in for the body work clinic / thrash for welding or painting.

I would say you will need a team of workers for each car and use that to limit the
number of cars you try to do. Like maybe have 4 people per car or you will never
get it finished in 2 or 3 days. You could tailor this to what work each car needs.
Just longs is easy, floors are easy, if you have to do inner wheel houses and
suspension mounts that takes longer.

Rent a major, portable soda blaster or it will take forever to do the blasting.

Maybe George has some favorite wrecks he'd like saved that he can offer for sale?

John
JazonJJordan
*Moved to it's own thread- in GARAGE and under SouthEast 914 Cancer Clinic spring 2010* Thanks everyone- looks like we are a -Go!- already * -Jordan
JazonJJordan
(moved)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.