Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Atlanta transmission rebuild clinic planning thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Al Meredith
I'll be there to watch and cook if George wants me to. I was planning to find a place we can get together on Saturday evening for a burger and a beer. I was thinking of a sports bar on Windy Hill. I'll go there tomorrow and see what accomodations they have and let us all know on this thread. Al
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(Al Meredith @ Oct 5 2009, 05:28 PM) *

I'll be there to watch and cook if George wants me to. I was planning to find a place we can get together on Saturday evening for a burger and a beer. I was thinking of a sports bar on Windy Hill. I'll go there tomorrow and see what accomodations they have and let us all know on this thread. Al

very good Al always leave it to you to be the hostest with the mostest. I was trying to keep it simple though with the lunch so we would not get into a big cooking thing so everyone could talk.
Dr Evil
A few things to consider, all clinics have been different, but the one thing that has been the same is that we have been dirty at the end of the day and we have been working LATE. You will not be transmission experts at the end of this clinic as that takes a bit more practice and experience. However, you will have built your own under supervision and many of you will bring 2 or 3 and this will absolutely take all of the time available. In Canada I had 4 builders with 9 boxes and I worked until midnight each night until the last one was done. So ask your self the following:

How many trannies are you bringing?

How many MUST you have done?

How late are you willing to work?

How late is AA able to let us use the space?

Dr Evil
Doing some due diligence on the prices offered by George (and because he asked me if these were available for less elsewhere) and he is giving us a good deal smile.gif Buy new and or used with confidence. I will have some used and a small amount of new.
ncfj40
Ok, Took some pictures for you. I have no idea what a slider, or dog teeth, etc are so If you need something else let me know. It will be easy to take more as it's still apart. (Don't know that I could get it back together if I wanted to biggrin.gif )
Dr Evil
1st teeth and synchro band are poo. Let me point stuff out on your pics. Gimme a sec.
ncfj40
More Pictures.
Dr Evil
Alright, lets see if I can clear this up. The parts that wear on the tranz are the parts there for friction and mating (Mmmmm). The synchro band, the slider, and the dog teeth.

Yellow is the synchro band. It needs to be rough. No shiny parts allowed.
Orange is the slider. It needs to have pointy teeth, not rounded or flat.
Green are the dog teeth. They need to be pointy like the slider teeth.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Here is 2nd gear which is a common wear point and you can see in one of the pics earlier that all 3 parts are crap now.
Click to view attachment

Here is 1st gear. I need the slider removed and the teeth photoed to be able to tell you if it is usable. Probably not, though as the synchro has a visible shiny part on it (arrowed), and the dog teeth are flattened.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Dr Evil
Also, oil left on the parts for pics makes sharp things look dull so I need it cleaned to tell you if the bands are any good or if the teeth are any good wink.gif
ncfj40
It all sounds really bad.
Is it? or are these normal wear parts and are expected to be replaced?
Or is it junk, Cost prohibitive to repair and we should stay home? sad.gif
Dr Evil
Nope, not bad at all. This is normal. Having a usable 1st set up is not common. I have ways to save you $$ on that stuff, though. I will have used synchro bands for $20 at the clinic, used teeth for $50 (for your 1st dog teeth) which leaves you needing a seal kit and a 1st slider. Not bad, really, and if you care for your tranny it will service you for many decades to come after the clinic.
ncfj40
Awesome, I was about to get depressed for a minute there. Should I try to cleanup the oil and take more pics? Doesn't sound like you need them, but no problem if you want them. See ya Saturday. piratenanner.gif
Dr Evil
Michaelmoo, your stack looks good. I cant tell about 1st as the slider is in the way, but I would guess it will need replacing of those parts.
Dr Evil
QUOTE(ncfj40 @ Oct 5 2009, 10:45 PM) *

Awesome, I was about to get depressed for a minute there. Should I try to cleanup the oil and take more pics? Doesn't sound like you need them, but no problem if you want them. See ya Saturday. piratenanner.gif

Nah, dont sweat it.
Dr Evil
Wow, 26 people on the list so far (updated today) smile.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Just confirmed that Steve Gaglione is joining us! As you all know Steve is one of the world's premier 914 enthusiasts and owns one of the rare m-471 cars He is a wealth of 914 knowledge so be sure to write down all of the questions that you would like to ask him. He will be hosting the trophy case tour.
Zimms
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Oct 6 2009, 06:24 PM) *

Just confirmed that Steve Gaglione is joining us! As you all know Steve is one of the world's premier 914 enthusiasts and owns one of the rare m-471 cars He is a wealth of 914 knowledge so be sure to write down all of the questions that you would like to ask him. He will be hosting the trophy case tour.

Looking forward to it!
blitZ
Cool...

Is there a time the event will start on Saturday?

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Oct 6 2009, 05:24 PM) *

carr914
Dr Evil & Dr 914, I was going to go with Steve Gaglione to deliver a couple of cars, but now it looks like Janie Gaglione will be going with Steve (if she feels well enough, she just had some Dental Surgery - Get Well Janie). So I don't know if I will be there spectating or not.

T.C.
Dr Evil
Start time on both days is 9-9:30am
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Oct 6 2009, 06:29 PM) *

I think that it would be nice for all of his efforts, to take Doc Evil out saturday night. What do you have planned for Saturday night Al ??
ConeDodger
Dr. Evil,
If Paul (Ury914) and TC come to spectate - can you be sure to get pictures of them with thongs on the outside of their pants? biggrin.gif
Dr Evil
Rob, I didnt know you swung that way. Not that there is anything wrong with that gayfight.gif wink.gif
SGB
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Oct 7 2009, 10:58 AM) *

I think that it would be nice for all of his efforts, to take Doc Evil out saturday night. What do you have planned for Saturday night Al ??

Hey George- I think Mike expects to work pretty late there at your shop. IDK if there will be opportunity to go out, although I think there are plenty of runners to go get stuff...

If he has time, the Marietta Diner is a real, uh, experience. Either that, or the Big Chicken. smile.gif
Dr Evil
I am a fan of BBQ. I bet it can be taken to the shop idea.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Oct 7 2009, 11:14 AM) *

Rob, I didnt know you swung that way. Not that there is anything wrong with that gayfight.gif wink.gif

Unfortunately, I don't. And I say that because of the options it gives you. It would just be good to have blackmail photos... biggrin.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Just thinking about the Marietta Diner and their oversize portions and those very large desserts in the display case makes my gut feel bloated

QUOTE(SGB @ Oct 7 2009, 12:56 PM) *

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Oct 7 2009, 10:58 AM) *

Hey George- I think Mike expects to work pretty late there at your shop. IDK if there will be opportunity to go out, although I think there are plenty of runners to go get stuff...

If he has time, the Marietta Diner is a real, uh, experience. Either that, or the Big Chicken. smile.gif

dr914@autoatlanta.com
Williams Brothers for the barbecue. Two miles from here.

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Oct 7 2009, 01:11 PM) *

I am a fan of BBQ. I bet it can be taken to the shop idea.gif

ncfj40
Question for the Doctor or those in the know.
I'm cleaning up my case in prep for this weekend. Do i need to know how many and what thickness of the gaskets between the intermediate pate and case for the pinion depth? or just how many? In other words are they all the same thickness you just vary the quantity? or do they vary in thickness also?
Dr Evil
Um, you need to read the WHOLE post in my rebuild thread. The answers are within:
"***NOTE***
When you remove the intermediate plate you will have some gaskets between it and the case. These are of a particular thickness and need to be replaced with the same to keep the pinion shaft depth the same. Use a micrometer to measure the thickness of these (usually more than one) and keep that number handy. When you reinstall you need to measure the gaskets that come with the new kit and replace with ones that are of the same thickness."

Link is in my signature,"EvilWerks Tranny Rebuild Service and Parts (Click Here) "

Post #2 at the bottom wink.gif
ncfj40
Ya, I read that.
I have four paper thin gaskets and the two against the sealing surfaces are stuck. I don't know how I'm going to measure them. I was kind of Hopeing they were all the same thickness and I just had to know how many. No such luck. dry.gif
Dr Evil
Take a razor and remove a section that has not been compressed. You will be fine, I'll take care of you smile.gif
SGB
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Oct 7 2009, 08:07 PM) *

You will be fine, I'll take care of you smile.gif

Benchside manner/ Bedside manner... "The Doctor will see you now."
URY914
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Oct 7 2009, 09:16 AM) *

Dr. Evil,
If Paul (Ury914) and TC come to spectate - can you be sure to get pictures of them with thongs on the outside of their pants? biggrin.gif

I'm out. I just don't want anyone taking my picture. biggrin.gif
Joe Owensby
What is a recommended nearby hotel? thanks, JoeO
Rick L
What are the dates?
Dr Evil
Your fucking with me, right? blink.gif Its this weekend. It should be posted in the first post.
Dr Evil
OK, its not in the first post wink.gif
michaelmoo
I second Williams Brothers BBQ. I love that place.
michaelmoo
Also what tools do we need to bring?
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(Joe Owensby @ Oct 7 2009, 07:43 PM) *

What is a recommended nearby hotel? thanks, JoeO

The Hampton Inn Joe http://www.hamptoninn.com/en/hp/hotels/ind...ctyhocn=ATLFRHX
Dr Evil
QUOTE(michaelmoo @ Oct 8 2009, 08:38 AM) *

Also what tools do we need to bring?

Regular tools.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
We should have quite a crowd. At least ten more people said they were coming to observe. Looks like Dr. Evil will have quite and audience..
blitZ
Looks like it will rain all day tomorrow, so I'll not drive my 914. Appreciate you hosting this event Doctors.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
It is not going to rain tomorrow! Maybe a chance of some liquid sunshine, but I am driving my car and having it outside! The more 914s the better!

People are already starting to show up and the shop is almost ready. Everything starts at 9:30
SGB
QUOTE(blitZ @ Oct 9 2009, 01:59 PM) *

... Doctors.

OMG, It's an answer to the residency question! OK, maybe not, but you could both wear cool white coats. Have you listened to a running trans with a stethoscope, Herr Doktor?

I'll see you guys sometime tomorrow. It is sure to be later than 9:30, but I'll just be one of those folks in the way.

Anyway, I concur. THANKS DOCTORS. smile.gif
carr914
Have Fun guys, wish I could be there.

T.C.
Dr Evil
Matt and I arrived about an hour ago at his brothers house 20min from AA. It was a LOOOOOOOONG drive fraught with accidents, traffic jams, and no A/C. Last night we worked on Matt's car until 2:30am and we left at 6:30 this AM. No sleep. I dozed on the way here and Matt did not. I tried to drive so he could sleep but he was too busy telling me how to drive.....rolleyes.gif Its his car. This weekend some time we will have to tune up his car as it died right when we were about 1/2 mi from our destination. I got it started, but it hesitates under load unless the RPMs are up and was missing here and there. The front bearings also need to be replaced. I tasked Matt with this. Maybe a pertronix as well.

See ya'll in the AM. I am looking forward to shopping for some supplies right before the clinic.
bcheney
Maybe a silly ass question...has anyone ever video taped a complete Dr Evil rebuild? I would certainly buy a copy of that! Have a great time guys...all the best with the clinic!! Wish I could be there sad.gif
Dr Evil
A video is in the making currently. Stay tuned! It will be AWESOME!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.