Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Atlanta transmission rebuild clinic planning thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Dr Evil
Scott, you can be my personal assistant. smile.gif
mharrison
If I am able to make it, I will be a paying student, not a spectator. Hopefully things will work out!

I even discussed it with SWMBO last night and she is 'tentatively' OK with it. So, it all depends on the car.
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(mharrison @ Jun 19 2009, 09:20 AM) *

If I am able to make it, I will be a paying student, not a spectator. Hopefully things will work out!

DITTO
JFJ914
Scott,

Is there going to be a Rocket City Ramble in Oct?
SGB
I'm pondering a reduced ramble- scenic drives, AX only. We haven't been canvasing for prizes like last year. Rusty and the rest of last years organizers have opted out.

Stand by for last minute decisions...
Dr Evil
I have an idea of trying to get a group buy for 1st sliders since currently the cheapest ones are at Pelican for $435 and most of you will need them I bet.

Maybe AA can hook us up?
carr914
Guys, don't forget Petit LeMans is Oct 10-11, Jake, SGB, rfuerst, and myself are usually in Atlanta that weekend.

T.C.
Zimms
T.C.

Petit is September 23-26 this year.

Road Atlanta Schedule

carr914
Thanks, I read the schedule off their header that had the date of the bike race next to Petit

T.C.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jun 19 2009, 10:45 PM) *

I have an idea of trying to get a group buy for 1st sliders since currently the cheapest ones are at Pelican for $435 and most of you will need them I bet.

Maybe AA can hook us up?

We are here to help!
Dr Evil
If the dates are no go for ACH then George has kindly offered up AA as a spot. smile.gif
Al Meredith
Scott, How could we combine the tranny rebuild with a ramble in N. Georgia ?

Al
URY914
I'm in for Jakes, anytime is good.
Joe Owensby
Put me down as a paying customer for a rebuild. JoeO
gerziebaker
AA would be great if we can't schedule ACH. If you haven't seen George's 914 collection you're in for a treat.
obscurity
I can't beleive I missed this thread. I am definitely interested. Maybe even for the paying part of it but I need to make a project decision regarding my transmission (ie side vs tail). If there is such a thing as a tenetive rebuild spot put me in it! I think I read the whole thread but any decision on location and final date?
Dr Evil
No date yet. I am still waiting for the group to decide.
Zimms
How about the weekend of the 10th?

It's not Halloween
It avoid's the 1 year anniversary
UGA is away in Tennessee that weekend
Not sure about the peanut special

Anyone second this or object?
michaelmoo
Works for me. I second it.

QUOTE(Zimms @ Jun 22 2009, 06:46 PM) *

How about the weekend of the 10th?

It's not Halloween
It avoid's the 1 year anniversary
UGA is away in Tennessee that weekend
Not sure about the peanut special

Anyone second this or object?

gerziebaker
The 10th is ok with me. Let's hear from the other paying participants and get this finalized. I still vote for AA because of the ready supply of parts, and the location. Anybody that wants to organize a North Georgia ramble, organize it seperately so we're not confusing the two events.
Dr Evil
The 10th works for me. AA or ACH, ya'll decide and make sure the hosts are cool with the 10th.
michaelmoo
Excellent. I have the Oct 10th marked down!!!

Hopefully AA or ACH will work. If not the fall back can be at my place.

Mike

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jun 23 2009, 08:38 AM) *

The 10th works for me. AA or ACH, ya'll decide and make sure the hosts are cool with the 10th.

blitZ
The Octoberfest should be in full swing in Helen, GA about that time. Sounds like perfect timing.

The date is fine.
obscurity
Forgive me if this question is a dumb one(or has been addressed already). Assuming we are a paying "student" does it matter if we bring a side or tail shifter.

John
gerziebaker
OK. AA and ACH, is the 10th ok with either of you?
Two914s
I just heard about this, and I want to be a paying customer!

I have MANY transmissions in Atlanta (of both types) in case somebody wants to buy one to rebuild....

I also have several sets of sideshift linkages.

This is a fantastic idea. I look forward to meeting everyone.
Dr Evil
QUOTE(obscurity @ Jun 23 2009, 02:16 PM) *

Forgive me if this question is a dumb one(or has been addressed already). Assuming we are a paying "student" does it matter if we bring a side or tail shifter.

John

Nope. I HATE rebuilding tail shifters, but it doesnt matter what type you bring or how many. The seal kist have all the seals for both configurations.

The 10th is perfect for me as the wife will be out of town doing her own thing. I just need to hear back from Jake or George.
db9146
I was waiting to see which weekend this was going to take place in October and I guess its looking like the 10th. That being the case, I'll have to pass as a paying attendee (I really wanted to learn as I tear into one). I'll keep an eye on the thread and if it changes, I'm in.
Joe Owensby
The 10th is good for me. I guess all we need is to confirm a host. Mike, options for flights are obviously Atlanta for AA's place. I think it is about 1+ hour drive to Jake's place from the Atlanta airport, more if it is during any kind of traffic time period. If we have it at ACH, then another option may be to fly into Greenville/Spartanburg in SC. It is a little over an hour from the GSP airport to Jake's place. There used to be pretty good flights to there from Harrisburg. I am not sure if there are any more good connections, as the airlines have cut back on flights, but I thought I'd throw this out as an option to look into. If it works out that way, I can pick you up at the GSP airport. If it works out better to fly into Atlanta, I am sure we can work something out with the Atlanta people.

I am OK for either location. JoeO
Dr Evil
Right now the plan is to drive down with Matt (plas76targa). 16hrs there and back in his stock tail shift 914 rolleyes.gif I guess I am coming along to push smile.gif
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jun 24 2009, 11:24 PM) *

Right now the plan is to drive down with Matt (plas76targa). 16hrs there and back in his stock tail shift 914 rolleyes.gif I guess I am coming along to push smile.gif

av-943.gif
plas76targa

av-943.gif
[/quote]

so what's so funny about that? dry.gif
hot_shoe914
I guess I am coming along to push

so what's so funny about that? dry.gif
[/quote]

confused24.gif
hot_shoe914
Have we heard from Jake or George yet? Do we have a host for the 10th? popcorn[1].gif
Jake Raby
I can't do the 10th weekend... Its fine with me if George can host the event on the 10th or if it goes back to Mike's pace as originally planned.

I think what's more important is attendance at the event and it being convenient for the attendees.. My place is very cool and has lots of benefits, but its just not conveniently located for most.
hot_shoe914
I can't do the 10th weekend...

sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif confused24.gif headbang.gif hissyfit.gif hanged.gif poke.gif whip[1].gif dumbass.gif
Dr Evil
I'll contact AA and get this started
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jun 28 2009, 09:45 PM) *

I'll contact AA and get this started

No problem. I am my staff are here at your convenience.
obscurity
Is there anyway to guesstimate what the average cost of parts is? I understand every transmission is different and I am certainly not trying to corner you on a number but just a ballpark expectation based on the transmissions you have done in the past.

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jun 16 2009, 01:10 PM) *

The important stuff ( clarified 6/18):
*If you bring one or more gear boxes for rebuild then the cost is $300
*Spectating is free and you can ask questions (but will have to wear a thong on the out side of your pants so we know you are freeloading tongue.gif )
*The cost includes: gloves, rags, cleaners, parts trays, aluminum baking sheets for parts cleaning spots, sarcasm, foul language (when no kids around), etc.
*New parts area available through me ( I will beat any suppliers prices, let me know). Seal kits area available before hand for $40
*People are encouraged to bring cores to part out as people will potentially need more parts than I will have.
*The clinic is 2 full days and I will work as long as you do. I usually start at 0930 and go until after 2200 if necessary.
*PM me if you are going to be a paying guest and make sure to tell me which clinic you are going to attend.

Updated 6/18
Paying students (x4):
- michaelmoo
- Zimms
- John Grier
- William Grier

Spectators (x15)
- blitz
- Pnambic
- carr914
- john grier
- URY914
- 904svo
- SGB
- mharrison
- John Jentz
- stepuptothemike
- poorsche914
- Joe Owensby
- d914
- hot_shoe914
- gerziebaker

Dr Evil
That is totally possible. I have asked everyone that is bringing a box to tell me what their symptoms are so I can give them a best case, worst case scenario.

QUOTE(obscurity @ Jun 29 2009, 01:33 PM) *

Is there anyway to guesstimate what the average cost of parts is? I understand every transmission is different and I am certainly not trying to corner you on a number but just a ballpark expectation based on the transmissions you have done in the past.

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jun 16 2009, 01:10 PM) *

The important stuff ( clarified 6/18):
*If you bring one or more gear boxes for rebuild then the cost is $300
*Spectating is free and you can ask questions (but will have to wear a thong on the out side of your pants so we know you are freeloading tongue.gif )
*The cost includes: gloves, rags, cleaners, parts trays, aluminum baking sheets for parts cleaning spots, sarcasm, foul language (when no kids around), etc.
*New parts area available through me ( I will beat any suppliers prices, let me know). Seal kits area available before hand for $40
*People are encouraged to bring cores to part out as people will potentially need more parts than I will have.
*The clinic is 2 full days and I will work as long as you do. I usually start at 0930 and go until after 2200 if necessary.
*PM me if you are going to be a paying guest and make sure to tell me which clinic you are going to attend.

Updated 6/18
Paying students (x4):
- michaelmoo
- Zimms
- John Grier
- William Grier

Spectators (x15)
- blitz
- Pnambic
- carr914
- john grier
- URY914
- 904svo
- SGB
- mharrison
- John Jentz
- stepuptothemike
- poorsche914
- Joe Owensby
- d914
- hot_shoe914
- gerziebaker

Zimms
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jun 29 2009, 02:36 PM) *

That is totally possible. I have asked everyone that is bringing a box to tell me what their symptoms are so I can give them a best case, worst case scenario.

Mine has been sitting on the floor of my garage for 2-3 years, symtoms unknown. Would photos do any good?
Dr Evil
Pulling the tail cone and checking the 1st gear parts would be a good idea. Those are the money parts and pulling the cone is easy.
Dr Evil
Back to the top icon_bump.gif

Oct 10 at AA....I need to contact George wink.gif
Jax914
This sounds like a hoot! I may try to make it up to observe/harass.

If anyone needs a disassembled tail shift trans with "almost everything" I've got one for free / pickup in Jax, FL.

Or if I come up, I can bring it with me.

Dr Evil
I have initiated contact with AA, but I have not heard back. I can not consider this concrete and start accepting dues dry.gif
Dr Evil
I have yet to hear back from AA so I think it would be a good idea to come up with an alternative location dry.gif I forwarded my info to George to pass onto one of his henchmen to set it all up....Bueller? Bueller?

So, where can we hold this now??
stepuptotheMike
bumpity bump bump
Dr Evil
I got the contact info for our agent inside of AA from George so things are still on without a hitch. I will be contacting him tomorrow.
Dr Evil
For those of you that are able, ( tranz not in car, or car not needing it before the clinic) to figure out what parts you may need, I recommend you pull the stack beforehand. Instructions on doing that (for the side shifter) are in my rebuild link below. You can post pics here and I can Dx your parts needs.
FourBlades

I am really tempted to make it and bring 2 side shifters of unknown condition
that I need rebuilt.

I have not been monitoring too closely, is there a FL session in the works?

If it was winter, I could host one here in Melbourne but I don't know how
convenient that would be for many people (other than me biggrin.gif).

John
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.