Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bringin Sexy Back-
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Series9
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Apr 1 2011, 08:53 PM) *

... you make it look so easy!

That's because the webcam only shows 1/8 of what really happens and there's no audio, so you can't hear me cuss.
laugh.gif

Series9
QUOTE(MDG @ Apr 1 2011, 03:56 PM) *

....And seeing as how Scotty, Mark, Dana, Eric, etc., etc., etc., et al, etc., aren't posting anything everybody has no choice but to hang out here smile.gif

Ummm.....thanks, I think. unsure.gif
Series9
QUOTE(ellisor3 @ Apr 1 2011, 05:58 PM) *

[
I tried to check out Joe's progress on the web cam. Apparently whoever Joe has working for him has been sweeping that corner for 3 days. Probably should get rid of them. http://www.914rs.com/webcam.html

Plus, I have never seen a guy get so much done without ever putting anything on his work bench. http://www.914rs.com/webcam2.html lol-2.gif

We had some bad weather. Every time the power blinks, I have to go reset the cameras. Ooops.
Eric_Shea
Removal isn't nessasary

Yes it is. They were all "suppose" to have -6's

hide.gif
MDG
QUOTE(Series9 @ Apr 2 2011, 11:39 AM) *

QUOTE(MDG @ Apr 1 2011, 03:56 PM) *

....And seeing as how Scotty, Mark, Dana, Eric, etc., etc., etc., et al, etc., aren't posting anything everybody has no choice but to hang out here smile.gif

Ummm.....thanks, I think. unsure.gif

c'mon . . . . poke.gif smile.gif Besides, none of those guys have shop cams . . . oh sure, they can look clever when the camera is snapping pics . . but what really happens when no one is looking?

No Joe, YOU are the man.
J P Stein
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Apr 2 2011, 08:48 AM) *

Removal isn't nessasary

Yes it is. They were all "suppose" to have -6's

hide.gif

Besides, it makes room for some useful stuff.
Series9
PMS engine mount arrived today.

I was supposed to be finishing Luckie's 986 today, but UPS dropped the ball on the flywheel bolts.

It's raining outside, so I'm kinda stuck for the day.

Cupomeat
QUOTE(Series9 @ Apr 1 2011, 10:06 AM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 1 2011, 09:55 AM) *

motor mounts from a 4 cylinder

Ding ding. Winner. first.gif

Wanna sticker?

Sure I wanna sticker, but I hardly know her... lol-2.gif
Series9
These were on back-order, but the Setrab 119 fanpacks have arrived:

Series9
Grind and clean for welding in the new engine mount.

Series9
I'm going to use these PMS mounts from now on.

Very nice:

PeeGreen 914
I have to agree. I really liked my PMS motor mount on my 6. Very nice.
Series9
Painted:

Series9
It's nice to have an 'extra' 3.2 in the shop.

Remember that bellcrank bushing I was trying to source?

I pulled the console off Nelson's engine today and look.....the bushing is cast into this one. I don't remember that from 3.2s in the past.

Series9
If your powder coater doesn't plug the threaded holes, get out your tap:

Series9
Let this be a lesson.

Test fit before you paint and powdercoat:

Series9
Otherwise, you have to pay your mechanic to paint.

It turned out fine:

Series9
Here it is on the engine with a grommet installed:

Gint
QUOTE(Series9 @ Mar 30 2011, 08:33 PM) *
QUOTE(MoveQik @ Mar 30 2011, 10:52 AM) *
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Mar 30 2011, 07:40 AM) *
Joe, that looks awesome!!!!!!!!!

Down boy. biggrin.gif
Twas a joke from another thread. biggrin.gif

Don't make me angry, your won't like me when I'm ........

laugh.gif

Dude, that paint is SIK! Love the pearl. Nice looking 914.

Hey Mike, those wheels look good sitting still. poke.gif
Series9
Here is the state of the engine today. Once I get a few more pieces, the manifolds will go on.

I'm pushing to get the engine built up, so I can put it in the car. The oil system can't really move forward until that happens.

My flying schedule is full for the next ten days. Stand by.

Here's where I finished today:

Series9
Bad weather is bad for flying, but good for projects in the shop.

I got the seals I was waiting for and had some unplanned hours in the shop.

Because the fuel hoses had their ends powder coated, I'm worried about pressurizing this engine.

I'm not too sure about baking powder coat with rubber hoses attached. We'll find out soon. I'm not putting the engine in the car before I put 80psi through the lines.

It's starting to look like a 3.2:

Series9
Do you think the pressure regulator and damper should be baked in a powder coating oven? I don't know, but the engine looks nice at the moment:
AZ914
Yeah... I dunno. I'd bake the shroud and a stripped intake but not everything. It does look beautiful though!
ellisor3
Looks super Joe, BTW none of the fuel lines or regulators were powder coated. I found the paint to match the powder coating. I would still check the lines. I just hope for more bad weather.

piratenanner.gif
Series9
QUOTE(ellisor3 @ Apr 15 2011, 10:21 PM) *

Looks super Joe, BTW none of the fuel lines or regulators were powder coated. I found the paint to match the powder coating. I would still check the lines. I just hope for more bad weather.

piratenanner.gif

That's good news. I'll put some fuel through and let you know.
Series9
The new fuel lines came today.

I had to remove the center console, storage tray, subwoofer, knee trim and carpet to get the access I wanted.

The front tunnel access was dynamatted in and the rear was "enlarged":

Series9
Interior out.

Old fuel lines out:

Series9
After a test fit of the SS lines, I discovered that the return line would need a little reshaping on the engine end due to the PMS engine mount. I pulled out the tubing bender and massaged it a little. Now it fits. It's no ding on the manufacturer, I recommend these nice pieces by Rotary'14.

I stupidly forgot to order new firewall grommets and don't have any that fit, so on to other matters.

The engine harness is almost complete. Here are some detail pictures including the new 14-pin male connector that will hook directly to the 14-pin female on the car. The relay board has been deleted:

Series9
Made some serious progress today.

Two of the oil return tubes were damaged in shipping. Here are the new ones in place:

Series9
Headers on. This should be pretty quick, but missing studs and other difficult hardware made it take a while:

Series9
MAP sensor for the TECgt.

Bracket fab and installed:

Series9
Both the fans supplied had to be rejected. Here's a new one:

Series9
Since we're putting the coolers in the back, James was kind enough to see the logic in putting the tank in the stock location.

DWD tank install will proceed this week.

Here's the old system out. James gets his front trunk back and I'm really glad we did this to get the hot oil lines out of the cockpit.

Unbelievably, the supply line fitting had a -10 (or smaller) orifice.

Series9
On the other side of things, the scavenge side also had -16 line.

Pointless. -12 is fine, but look at this neck-down at the oil filter.

It's a good thing we decided to look at everything:

Series9
The last one from today.

I guess I forgot to take a picture of the very nice PMS/KEP flywheel and clutch arrangement, but this is looking pretty well.

Super nice muffler:

Series9
For those of you who remember the obstructed supply-line picture. I cut the hose at the other end today. Same thing:

Eric_Shea
Joe... any theories on what caused it?
Series9
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Apr 26 2011, 10:49 PM) *

Joe... any theories on what caused it?

Incompatible hose/fitting?

MoveQik
QUOTE(Series9 @ Apr 26 2011, 06:49 PM) *

Since we're putting the coolers in the back, James was kind enough to see the logic in putting the tank in the stock location.

DWD tank install will proceed this week.

Best tank on the market. beerchug.gif
McMark
Love those 119 cooler fan packs. wub.gif
Series9
More progress.

Fuel lines installed:

Series9
Oil tank test fit after cutting.

The scavenge hole is big because there was already a hole there for a breather line from the old engine.

Series9
Put the filter console remnant on the wall and throw the rest away:

Series9
Mask and paint. Don't worry about the black paint. It'll be a little oily around here:

Series9
It looks like I only took one picture today.

The fuel plumbing on the engine passed with no leaks.

The other work consisted of running a couple of wires from the engine bay into the main harness in the tunnel, getting the fuel pump wire to its appropriate location up front, finished the last grinding of the passenger-side /4 engine mount and got that area painted, rewrapping the wiring harness in the engine bay, etc.

I'm trying to make sure I get everything that is easier to do with the engine out done so the engine can go in.

Nelson's 914 needs a couple days of work, so I'll get back on this next week.

The engine will be in the car shortly.
JmuRiz
Looking good, makes me wish I had the money and lived closer...I'd just have you do my conversion smile.gif
Series9
Oil tank installed:

Series9
We'll call this a test-fit for now. I may not have to take it back out, we'll see.

The muffler is a little crooked. It was a lot crooked until I removed the muffler hanger. I'll have a make another one that will hold it straight.

MDG
thumb3d.gif Beautiful, Joe.

I may have missed this in an earlier post - what muffler is that?
tomeric914
Hey Joe,

I don't like how close the scavenge line adapter is going to be to the exhaust. I found a better alternative to the Setrab fittings for my application at a local hydraulics shop for $8. This screws right into the case and replaces the factory M22 to M30 adapter. The orifice diameter is no different than the factory adapter.

Part number 9068-12-22 3/4" Male JIC x M22x1.5 Male Metric (Steel) which comes with a sealing washer.

Also found here: http://www.discounthydraulichose.com/9068_...tric_p/9068.htm

Click to view attachment

YES, I know my engine case is dirty. It matches the transmission!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.