Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bringin Sexy Back-
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
ellisor3
QUOTE(racerbvd @ Jul 9 2011, 06:40 PM) *

James, head up to Whitey's tonight, I'm getting ready to head down, after the long day I have had, I can use it..

Yea, about Sexy....
Click to view attachment

Sorry I missed your post, I have been on vacation. If that photo is represenative of the kind of game you have, I am not sorry I missed it. beer.gif
Series9
More tuning and detail work today. August 1st is still the target delivery date.

James, I'd like to have you down next week for a pre-delivery meeting and drive.
racerbvd
QUOTE(ellisor3 @ Jul 16 2011, 11:35 AM) *

QUOTE(racerbvd @ Jul 9 2011, 06:40 PM) *

James, head up to Whitey's tonight, I'm getting ready to head down, after the long day I have had, I can use it..

Yea, about Sexy....
Click to view attachment

Sorry I missed your post, I have been on vacation. If that photo is represenative of the kind of game you have, I am not sorry I missed it. beer.gif

I'm not into big game, but there will be a mini Blues concert the 22nd at the Gazebo in Fleming Island, part of their free out door summer concert series. Joe, you still heading this direction soon?? driving.gif
Series9
Good news!

The FI programming is finished and has been approved by Mr. Clewett himself. smilie_pokal.gif

James, I hope you're coming down on Saturday. Your car is ready for you to drive it. If you don't show, I may have to offer test drives to drum up some more business. shades.gif

As of last night, Nelson committed to converting his engine to this system as well. driving.gif

James, I'm going to offer you "royalties" on the programming I have for your engine. We'll work out some service credits or something like that for each time I pass on the data.
mikelsr
Beautiful job Joe. It's nice to see someone who really cares about what they do.

Mike
ellisor3
I am backtracking a little on some updates that I some how forgot to do. In this issue:

Custom Subwoofer box, Dynamat results and Modified Center Console and Real Inlaid Burl Dash Plate-No Plastic for me.

Click to view attachment
I made a custom subwoofer box to get a 10" Sub in the floor and still have room for feet.

Click to view attachment
I also made a real Burl faceplate and trim for the center console. Not a platic kit.

Click to view attachment
I had to build a new modified center console to accept the new sub box. I decided to add a cup holer after I took this picture-I know Blasphemy.

Click to view attachment
Finished the mock up and ready to be covered.
ellisor3
Here are a few more finished items:

Click to view attachment
Dynamat is in, boy is that stuff heavy.

Click to view attachment
Here is the completed face plate.

Click to view attachment
Here is the installed Tec Gt Unit and O2 module. Very Nice Joe!
ellisor3
These are a couple photos as it sat at Joe's yesterday. Just a few things to finish up, but really close. It needs a little cleaning up but that is the easy part. I will post the final photos when everything is back together.

Click to view attachment
This is a shot of one of the two oil coolers. I was really impressed how well Joe got these to fit in the space available. The supports Joe made hold them in place, rock solid. Very Smooth.

ellisor3
I got to drive it yesterday and it pulls like a freight train. I pulled the shifter knob off changing gears it was so fun. Joe still has a few minor adjustments to make but I am very happy with the project. Joe has been super. As many issues as I have had with this project, it was about time for things to come together.

It was great having the Florida gang at Joe's yesterday. It is great having that kind of knowledge around, I feel smarter already. beerchug.gif
AZ914
Hey Joe!

Could you let me know where you found the following 2 parts:

1. 14 x 1.5mm to hose adapter on the motor (fuel return side)
2. the banjo fitting to hose adapter on the fuel pump (what size is that thing)

I'll be running 9.5mm fuel hose on delivery and 8mm on return and am having a hard time finding these pieces (or perhaps my search effort sucks).
Series9
QUOTE(AZ914 @ Jul 26 2011, 01:42 PM) *

Hey Joe!

I'll be running 9.5mm fuel hose on delivery and 8mm on return and am having a hard time finding these pieces (or perhaps my search effort sucks).

Both at Patrick.

AZ914
QUOTE(Series9 @ Jul 26 2011, 10:44 AM) *

QUOTE(AZ914 @ Jul 26 2011, 01:42 PM) *

Hey Joe!

Both at Patrick.

That was fast, thanks Joe.
ellisor3
Since Mikey has not gotten around to making the Targa Chrome J's yet (slacker). I tried something different with the chrome trim. I had it powder coated. I did the windshield and all the targa trim. It was done in a product called Ultimate Chrome from powderbythepound.com. I actually looked more like chrome before the clear coat was added. The clear coat was necessary for UV protection. Had this been under the car, and would not have needed the clearcoat, it would have looked exactly like chrome. It has a lot of reflectivity, and until you are up close you really can not tell.

Click to view attachment
Inside view (one is OEM and the rest are powdercoated)

Click to view attachment
Sunlight View
Series9
Delivery is set for Saturday.

Today, I sorted out all the gauge lighting, turn signal indicators, etc.

I then moved on to the license plate lights. Sounds simple, but some of the wiring wasn't there and one of the lights has an internal short.

Whatever. After four and a half months, we're there.
driving.gif

Series9
Delivered.

It was a long build, but I'm very satisfied with the result.
beerchug.gif
ellisor3
Well, she is finally done. After a week or so of putting her back together and wrapping up a few loose ends it is time for some pictures and some final thought on this project. Here are some observations and challenges I encountered during this project for those who might want to do this for the first time themselves:

1.) Find a car that is in really good shape. This one was in relatively good shape, with the exception of the 30 pounds of bondo that covered a rear end collision. See the early photo
2.) Create a budget, and a timeframe, you will go way over it, but do it just for the hell of it, that is what you are supposed to do, right. I projected to have this project done in 18 months. I only missed it by 18 months.
3.) Tell your wife you are divorcing her, then tell her you are restoring a 914, the first statement will then come as a relief.
4.) Don't take shortcuts. I tried using some used parts that were supposed to be good. By the time I made them good, I could have just bought new ones.
5.) If you are going to paint. Have the car blasted down to bare metal, no matter how it looks from the outside. I ended up spending more money on body work I didn't expect than I did on the entire first quote.
6.) Get the engine you want, and make sure it is in good shape, don't take anybody's word for it. Get a leak down test, or don't buy it.
7.) If there is work you do not feel comfortable doing, find the right guy to do no just someone who can do it. I have several people help me with this project, a few of them did the job to get a pay check and it showed. I ended up paying twice and even three times by Joe to get it right.
8.) This board has been envaluable in not only asking questions, but inspiration to keep the project going and not get discouraged. Many people on here have been there and done that before. I only wished I had asked more questions. There are not dumb questions, only dumb people who do not ask them.
9.) I made some good decisions on this project and I made some poor ones. One of the best decisions I made on the recommendation of T.C., was to get Joe O'brien at 914 RS to complete the engine install and finish up all the loose ends. I may not be acomplished enough to complte this job, but I know good work when I see it. Joe can not only do the work, he has a passion for it and that made all the difference. (See #7). The more I have gone over Joe's work after having it back, the more impressed I am. We again did not stay on budget, but Joe's suggestions improved the project and made the end result better. Thanks again Joe. beerchug.gif

One final note: Instead of using carbs, or the factory EFI, I did my research and chose the TEC-GT system from Distributorless.com. This unit is fantastic, it eliminates so many problems with the other options. It is somewhat more difficult to tune, but once you are there, you are done. You can have different set ups for street and track. Different track set ups, whatever you want. It is not a cheap system, but I really like it.

Here are the final shots:
ellisor3
Here are a few more.
mepstein
Outstanding!!!
Eric_Shea
smilie_pokal.gif
AZ914
Great write up! Your thread has been invaluable to my conversion. Thx!
jcambo7
drooley.gif Very nice!
Cairo94507
What a beautiful car with top notch work. Enjoy that car.
dlee6204
Saweeet looking car! thumb3d.gif Enjoy it! aktion035.gif
bcheney
James,

It's was great meeting you at S9 for the BBQ a while back. Seeing your project complete is very cool. Glad you got what you've always wanted with this
-6 conversion. Truly a beautiful custom ride that you will enjoy for many years to come. Well done Joe!!
porbmw
Outstanding beerchug.gif
And great thread.
Series9
James' car is back at Series 9 for some metal work in the usual area.

Exploratory surgery yesterday shows the extent of the necessary repairs.

The engine is coming out and I'll get started:

mepstein
Did something happen to set this in motion?
ellisor3
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 3 2012, 12:36 PM) *

Did something happen to set this in motion?

We knew there were some issues when Joe installed the engine but they did not look that bad. Once Joe did some exploratory surgery it became clear that engine would tear the car in half is it was not corrected. Probably should have been done prior to paint, but luckily it will never be seen from the outside.

I guess the sad part is that another shop did extensive repairs to the floor panels and the trunk panels but never mentioned the longs several years ago. Anyway Joe has a new project again.
ellisor3
QUOTE(Series9 @ Feb 3 2012, 11:42 AM) *

James' car is back at Series 9 for some metal work in the usual area.

Exploratory surgery yesterday shows the extent of the necessary repairs.

The engine is coming out and I'll get started:

BTW Joe also does Proctology exams on the side if anyone is interested piratenanner.gif
sean_v8_914
who did the hell hole cover up without regard to structure or rust passivation?
falconfp2001
QUOTE(ellisor3 @ Aug 15 2009, 11:48 AM) *

Here are a few more, just got back my chrome from the Bumper Shop. They did a great job. Looks wavy in the photo but not in person.

And I got new wheels. Pretty?????

How much were the bumpers?

Very Nice

Frank
ellisor3
QUOTE(sean_v8_914 @ Feb 3 2012, 01:40 PM) *

who did the hell hole cover up without regard to structure or rust passivation?

Not sure, way before me.
ellisor3
QUOTE(falconfp2001 @ Feb 3 2012, 01:40 PM) *

QUOTE(ellisor3 @ Aug 15 2009, 11:48 AM) *

Here are a few more, just got back my chrome from the Bumper Shop. They did a great job. Looks wavy in the photo but not in person.

And I got new wheels. Pretty?????

How much were the bumpers?

Very Nice

Frank

They were $250 each plus I had them remove the tow hook and the liscense plate holes. Total cost was about $700.00
SUNAB914
That car looks mean and fast! great job.
Madswede
James' car is the fastest 914 (and quickest car) I've yet driven ... and it was teasing me the whole time, "that's all YOU got?! *I* got more'n that, c'mon floor it and see!"

I'm glad to see you guys are working on this repair, but sad that the car needed it so bad.
Series9
QUOTE(ellisor3 @ Feb 3 2012, 01:23 PM) *

BTW Joe also does Proctology exams on the side if anyone is interested piratenanner.gif

That makes me uncomfortable.......
Madswede
QUOTE(Series9 @ Feb 3 2012, 06:30 PM) *

I was gonna say.

Well, as long as you wash your hands before working on my car, it's your business.
Series9
QUOTE(Madswede @ Feb 3 2012, 08:36 PM) *

QUOTE(Series9 @ Feb 3 2012, 06:30 PM) *

I was gonna say.

Well, as long as you wash your hands before working on my car, it's your business.

Fair enough..... blink.gif
Series9
I started the dissection today.

I'm warning you now, IF YOU HAVE A WEAK STOMACH, DO NOT LOOK AT THIS!

After doing this much.....

Series9
....it became apparent that I was going to have to have access to the other side to do the repair correctly.

Well, there's no sense in putting it off any longer.

COVER YOUR EYES:
Series9
After removal of the expanding foam and Bondo:

Eric_Shea
Doing it right is the only way to do it. Good thing Joe's on the job.
sixnotfour
Big Pucker..... Better now than later.
Series9
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Feb 25 2012, 02:43 PM) *

Big Pucker..... Better now than later.

I'm accustomed to having to do what's necessary, but I still took a deep breath when I was standing there with the jig saw in my hand.
dlee6204
yikes.gif
ellisor3
Joe,

I realize everyone just got Cass's book, but you didn't have to prove anything.

Just threw up in my mouth. Send completed photos only next time. poke.gif
Series9
The bad metal is out. It looks a lot nicer to me now.

Series9
QUOTE(ellisor3 @ Feb 25 2012, 04:43 PM) *

Joe,

I realize everyone just got Cass's book, but you didn't have to prove anything.

Just threw up in my mouth. Send completed photos only next time. poke.gif

laugh.gif

I had a conversation with myself this morning that went like this: "I need to call James to talk about cutting the fender"............."No, I better not do that..It'll be better if he just gets shocked once."
ellisor3
Soooooo you're still going to get the painter to take care of that 1/4' scratch on the rear fender we talked about, right??

I've gone through a lot of underwear during this build!!
Series9
QUOTE(ellisor3 @ Feb 25 2012, 05:10 PM) *

Soooooo you're still going to get the painter to take care of that 1/4' scratch on the rear fender we talked about, right??

I've gone through a lot of underwear during this build!!

The painter was over today. He said "Wow. That's a committed repair." We're mixing a quart of paint anyway.

I'm going to need that code.....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.