Full Version: Bringin Sexy Back-
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Series9
QUOTE(ellisor3 @ Jun 2 2011, 03:32 PM) *

QUOTE(Madswede @ Jun 2 2011, 02:45 PM) *

Rawk! aktion035.gif Now I wanna hear it. happy11.gif

Me Too. Kick Ass Joe. sawzall-smiley.gif

It sounds very serious. It's low and grumbly.

I just went to start it again and it wouldn't. The fuel pump seized. It's brand new. wacko.gif

Compared to the rest of it, this is nothing. I'll return it. Whatever.
Madswede
I like the advice you gave me a long time ago: Hit it with a hammer. laugh.gif (I know, the 3.2 isn't a low-P pump for a carburetor set up, but hey at this point ...)
tomeric914
QUOTE(Series9 @ Jun 2 2011, 04:03 PM) *

I just went to start it again and it wouldn't. The fuel pump seized. It's brand new.

That's luck. Better it seized now than after you delivered it. shades.gif
Series9
Working through the list.

I pulled the fuel pump and cleaned it out. I think a little debris stopped it from running. It's working now

The TPS is finished.

I found the wiring problem that was not allowing the engine to be turned off with the key. I was getting 4 volts across the alternator light (field) that was just enough to keep the ECU power relay closed. I moved the gauge power to another switched terminal and that fixed it.

I fabbed the DFU brackets today:

Eric_Shea
Looking good Joe smilie_pokal.gif
Series9
So I'm hooking up the drive shafts and I find this (anyone see something wrong?):

Series9
There's no way to get that axle out without:

Series9
/4 muffler hanger modified for this job.

I also finished the MAP sensor manifold adapter, but it's not exciting enough to warrant a picture.

Eric_Shea
anyone see something wrong?

Missing pins or is it a 6-bolt?
Series9
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jun 10 2011, 07:47 PM) *

anyone see something wrong?

Missing pins or is it a 6-bolt?

6-bolt w 4-bolt boot so you wouldn't notice if it were installed.
Eric_Shea
Probably common I'm afraid. 930 (6-bolt) 108mm CV's are the only 108's available right now...

Either pin that one with larger (12mm?) pins or drill the bosses on the flange and stub axled to accept the 10x1.5 fastener (my choice). Be careful though, both pieces are hardened and it will cost you or your machinist a "bit" or two. If you pin it you'll still have to widen the holes in the stub and flange.
Series9
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jun 10 2011, 11:50 PM) *

Probably common I'm afraid. 930 (6-bolt) 108mm CV's are the only 108's available right now...

Either pin that one with larger (12mm?) pins or drill the bosses on the flange and stub axled to accept the 10x1.5 fastener (my choice). Be careful though, both pieces are hardened and it will cost you or your machinist a "bit" or two. If you pin it you'll still have to widen the holes in the stub and flange.

I found a new Lobro 914 CV on eBay. It's on the way.
ellisor3

Eric or Joe,

Could you explain in a little more detail what the issue is, I am not sure I understand what I am looking at.
Series9
QUOTE(ellisor3 @ Jun 11 2011, 11:42 AM) *

Eric or Joe,

Could you explain in a little more detail what the issue is, I am not sure I understand what I am looking at.

914 CVs have four bolts and two pins. This one is a six-bolt CV, so it's not possible to pin them. Your 3.2 would break that arrangement. I have the correct one on the way.

I got some more done at the end of the day when I was finished with Byron's 951.

Adel clamp fun. I'm very happy with the oil lines attached to the lower valve cover. They were a bitch to install, but all is very secure and nothing will be rubbing.

I also spent some time getting started on tidying up the wiring in the engine bay:

Eric_Shea
You're using 914 CVs in there? huh.gif
Series9
Many little things are being accomplished randomly, but today I made the intake with the MAT sensor installation and I made HUGE progress in the tuning of the engine.

If I had the last pieces it would be very drivable. I should be able to run it around the block next week!

My eyes are friggin' burning from the exhaust fumes. wacko.gif

We are very close to completion.

Here are pictures of the intake fab, finished intake and tuning workstation:

racerbvd
sweet, if you are going to be around tomorrow, I may sneak down to drop off the 951 seats, anything else you need me to drop else off??
ellisor3
Joe, I know you had some reservations about the Tec GT system. What are your thoughts, good and bad?? When can we see some #'s
Series9
I didn't and don't have reservations about the product. I had reservations about the amount of money and time it would cost to set up and tune on a stock engine, when we could use a stock Motronic DME that would make it run perfectly right out of the box.

The ignition portion of the system is excellent. At this point, distributors should be obsolete. Now you get to enjoy a virtually maintenance-free ignition.

As for the fuel side, it should be drivable now. I'll have to put some miles on it and tweak it some more. The file that was sent to me for this engine was basically unusable. It would neither reliably start nor accelerate the engine off idle. On the up side, this has caused me to have to dig deeply into programming and work it out on my own.

Also, if you decide to modify the engine in the future, I will be able to adapt the engine management to accept the changes. In that way, it could pay you back some of what you've spent.

The cool-factor is high. You're going to like it.

I'm gonna driving.gif next week. I'll take some video for you.
Series9
I'm not really working on James' car today, but I like to start it at different times of the day to see how I'm doing on the programming for different situations, hot, cold and otherwise.

This morning, it stumbled, but didn't start.

Then I noticed the TPS voltage (on the screen on the laptop) was 0.00.

That's wrong.

Hmmmm. What's this?

Teething pains:

racerbvd
sad.gif
Can't make it tomorrow, the Pod didn't show up, so the guys drying out my house couldn't load it so the Plumber could strt working on my slab leak..

So I need to make it Wed or after, correct, and if I need to bring anything for that car, let me know..
Series9
Lots of stuff got crossed off the list today.

No pictures, but the interior is back in, the shifter is installed and working, the INTERIOR LIGHT is wired and functional, the oxygen sensor wiring and module were permanently installed, the new CV is in and I proceeded with some more tuning with the lap top.

Unfortunately, I'm still waiting on one more piece before I can run it around the block.

It's getting very close. driving.gif
racerbvd
QUOTE(Series9 @ Jun 28 2011, 12:39 PM) *

Lots of stuff got crossed off the list today.

No pictures, but the interior is back in, the shifter is installed and working, the INTERIOR LIGHT is wired and functional, the oxygen sensor wiring and module were permanently installed, the new CV is in and I proceeded with some more tuning with the lap top.

Unfortunately, I'm still waiting on one more piece before I can run it around the block.

It's getting very close. driving.gif

What are you missing?? Depending on the weather, I'll be down tomorror or Thurs, to pick up the Turbo "S", still dealling with plumbing issues from the slab leak & water damage..
Series9
Today was the last day of fabrication. I'll be getting the last part on Friday. I'll drive it that afternoon.

Here are the bottom cooler brackets and fan/O2 sensor wiring:

ellisor3
Alright!! Let's drive it driving.gif
Series9
QUOTE(ellisor3 @ Jun 29 2011, 08:29 PM) *

Alright!! Let's drive it driving.gif

Friday........ biggrin.gif
racerbvd
Good seeing you today Joe and thanks for Lunch....
Series9
QUOTE(racerbvd @ Jun 30 2011, 06:50 PM) *

Good seeing you today Joe and thanks for Lunch....

I'm already looking forward to the JAX visit next month. Everyone, stand by for pics...... beerchug.gif
Series9
I drove it!!

It's fast.

Video is coming once I figure out how to make it smaller.
beer3.gif
racerbvd
QUOTE(Series9 @ Jul 1 2011, 09:46 AM) *

I drove it!!

It's fast.

beer3.gif

But does it stop???
Rand
QUOTE(Series9 @ Jul 1 2011, 10:46 AM) *

I drove it!!

It's fast.

aktion035.gif Nice work Joe. Congrats ellisor3, you must be stoked about now.
Bee Jay
QUOTE(Series9 @ Jul 1 2011, 10:46 AM) *

I drove it!!

It's fast.

beer3.gif

Music to my ears. I hope to use those exact words in about a month.
Congratulations.
Bee Jay
ellisor3
QUOTE(Series9 @ Jul 1 2011, 01:46 PM) *

I drove it!!

It's fast.

beer3.gif

Kick ass Joe. Fast, well that sounds----Fast. Let's go get a ticket!!! driving.gif
Series9
I'm working on the video. It's 195 MB for three minutes.

Stand by.......

Series9
I was waiting on the throttle linkage from Rich.

It came today. When I started to install it, I noticed that something was wrong.

It looks like this tranny has an intermediate plate from a REAL 6.

I screwed the bellcrank shaft into the transmission and modified the RJ bracket to do the rest:

Series9
I was waiting on the throttle linkage from Rich.

It came today. When I started to install it, I noticed that something was wrong.

It looks like this tranny has an intermediate plate from a REAL 6.

I had to remake the cross-over oil line between the coolers because the 45 on the passenger side was in the way of the throttle linkage.

I screwed the bellcrank shaft into the transmission and modified the RJ bracket to do the rest:
Series9
IPB Image

Click on the picture.....
wow:)
ellisor3
That is awesome Joe. I have already made out my check to the Tax Collectors Office, I will fill in the blank when I actually get the ticket. I will have them set me up a tab. aktion035.gif
Series9
QUOTE(ellisor3 @ Jul 1 2011, 08:49 PM) *

That is awesome Joe. I have already made out my check to the Tax Collectors Office, I will fill in the blank when I actually get the ticket. I will have them set me up a tab. aktion035.gif

You better make out a few checks. It's effin' fast.
Series9
James,

It runs great, but it's too rich. Basically, the programming will continue on a line that supports an incremental reduction in fuel delivery.

I doubt you want 12 MPG.

Just wait. It'll be perfect.....
Series9
Today, I put down the video camera and took the car for a real drive.

I don't know if it's just the muffler's sound making me think this thing is faster than a normal 3.2, or if it really is.

Either way, it's very quick.

On a slightly negative note, we have a substantial oil leak from somewhere around the breather outlet on top of the engine. It could be one of the O rings in the oil thermostat or a bad seal in the idiot light switch. I'm going to have to clean the area up and figure out where it's coming from. At least it's not one of the cam towers....

I also have yet to see a working tachometer. I've tried two different units that should work with the signal this computer outputs, but no dice.

I'll be back on it on Wednesday.
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(Series9 @ Jul 2 2011, 05:50 PM) *

Today, I put down the video camera and took the car for a real drive.

I don't know if it's just the muffler's sound making me think this thing is faster than a normal 3.2, or if it really is.

Either way, it's very quick.

On a slightly negative note, we have a substantial oil leak from somewhere around the breather outlet on top of the engine. It could be one of the O rings in the oil thermostat or a bad seal in the idiot light switch. I'm going to have to clean the area up and figure out where it's coming from. At least it's not one of the cam towers....

I also have yet to see a working tachometer. I've tried two different units that should work with the signal this computer outputs, but no dice.

I'll be back on it on Wednesday.

I had a nasty leak in my 3.2 a few years ago. My worst fear was a leak in the cam tower. It turned out to be the oil pressure switch. An easy fix. I was told it is not unusual for that switch to leak.
tomeric914
QUOTE(Series9 @ Jul 2 2011, 08:50 PM) *

At least it's not one of the cam towers....

Gaaahhh, yeah I was just there... dry.gif

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=1500608
Series9
I think I found the leak.

When the engine arrived at S9, I noticed the crankcase vent was put on backwards.

I removed the four nuts, turned it around and bolted it back up. What I didn't notice was that the gasket isn't symmetrical, so it should have been turned around too.

Long story short, it's a bitch to get to with the engine in the car and the FI installed, but I fixed it.

James, that one's on me. beerchug.gif

Now I need to clean up all the oil and hope we don't see much more. Trying to get a six to be completely drip-free can be a tall order, but I don't think we should need a beach towel to clean up the oil under the car after each drive. blink.gif
racerbvd
James, head up to Whitey's tonight, I'm getting ready to head down, after the long day I have had, I can use it..

Yea, about Sexy....
racerbvd
James, head up to Whitey's tonight, I'm getting ready to head down, after the long day I have had, I can use it..

Yea, about Sexy....
Click to view attachment
KELTY360
QUOTE(racerbvd @ Jul 9 2011, 03:40 PM) *

Yea, about Sexy....
Click to view attachment

Really hope there's no leak from the crankcase vent. barf.gif
Series9
I had some major break-throughs on the programming today. Over the past few days, I've done a huge amount of reading. Today, I started data logging with each programming change I made.

The engine runs out to redline in under full load and I'm getting good O2 sensor readings almost across the board. There are a few tweaks to be made, but I think I'm very close.

I think I've got this one by the nuts.

I'm trying to become a recommended tuner for Clewitt Engineering, so when I think it's finished, I have to submit the data file for approval. Hopefully that will go well. unsure.gif

I'm planning delivery by August 1st.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.