Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WCR2010 - Register Here!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
rick 918-S
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Mar 22 2010, 11:56 AM) *

As long as I brought this up, a little data for you guys driving cross country with your 4 cylinders. My car is wired and gauged for CHT readings. When I drive normally in traffic with the Raby kit motor the CHT is usually around 275 F. That is until you go to fifth gear. In fifth gear the temperature rises by 50 F. or so. Now with a stockish 2 liter the CHT is about 50 F. higher than the Raby kit motor. So just driving around you sit at about 300 F. Go to 5th gear at highway speed and your temperature rises to 350 F. These temperatures are at a fairly cool ambient of 70 F. and are compensated, so they are actual temperatures.

The take home message is if you are on the highway in high ambient temperatures and in fifth, be aware of your oil levels and try to spend some time in forth gear once in a while. I suspect you are ok having your temperatures rise by 50 F. but absolutely do not forget to downshift when you go up a grade.

You guys with stock exhaust will have higher CHT. Fan speed seems to have the greatest impact on CHT, but don't let your oil levels drop!

Isn't that kind of hot? Do you have a cooler?
ConeDodger
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Mar 22 2010, 09:13 AM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Mar 22 2010, 11:56 AM) *

As long as I brought this up, a little data for you guys driving cross country with your 4 cylinders. My car is wired and gauged for CHT readings. When I drive normally in traffic with the Raby kit motor the CHT is usually around 275 F. That is until you go to fifth gear. In fifth gear the temperature rises by 50 F. or so. Now with a stockish 2 liter the CHT is about 50 F. higher than the Raby kit motor. So just driving around you sit at about 300 F. Go to 5th gear at highway speed and your temperature rises to 350 F. These temperatures are at a fairly cool ambient of 70 F. and are compensated, so they are actual temperatures.

The take home message is if you are on the highway in high ambient temperatures and in fifth, be aware of your oil levels and try to spend some time in forth gear once in a while. I suspect you are ok having your temperatures rise by 50 F. but absolutely do not forget to downshift when you go up a grade.

You guys with stock exhaust will have higher CHT. Fan speed seems to have the greatest impact on CHT, but don't let your oil levels drop!

Isn't that kind of hot? Do you have a cooler?

Jake would have to comment on whether that is hot or not. I suspect it is quite normal for a probe located under the #3 spark plug collar. I do not have a separate cooler and would not have it hooked up to this motor if I did. As I said, fan speed seems to be the biggest contributing factor. I suspect additional oil or an oil cooler would have some small impact but not that dramatic. Any discussion beyond this should probably go to a separate thread. idea.gif
RoadGlue
There's a temp thread started by Jake somewhere here. smile.gif

Speaking of hot temps... for those of you coming from the east and are headed to South Lake Tahoe via Hwy 50 (through Carson City), be advised that the HWY is steep, long and has fast speed limits. The last time I took a 914 up that hill I had to down shift and hold her around 30 mph to keep from over heating. I was monitoring both head and oil temps. Those of you that just have oil temp gauges are missing out on a world of information too. The head temps spiked well before the oil temp gauge showed trouble. Just something to keep in mind. That's the only road I've had trouble on up there and ymmv. smile.gif
JRust
Okay I just registered! Back off Brett happy11.gif
biosurfer1
Ah the power of FB...getting slackers off their asses for 4 years poke.gif biggrin.gif
JRust
QUOTE(biosurfer1 @ Mar 22 2010, 08:13 PM) *

Ah the power of FB...getting slackers off their asses for 4 years poke.gif biggrin.gif

Hey I was at the last 2 WCR. I haven't been gone for 4 years. Not to mention the 914 shootout & just got back from Route 66. I don't recall seeing your lazy ass at either one of those poke.gif biggrin.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(JRust @ Mar 22 2010, 08:23 PM) *

QUOTE(biosurfer1 @ Mar 22 2010, 08:13 PM) *

Hey I was at the last 2 WCR. I haven't been gone for 4 years. Not to mention the 914 shootout & just got back from Route 66. I don't recall seeing your lazy ass at either one of those poke.gif biggrin.gif

Jamie, You gotta serve donuts. That, he never misses! biggrin.gif
ConeDodger
cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif

Only 52 days left until the WCR 2010 "Teeners at Tahoe" event! Make your plans early so you don't get left out. So far 36 people are going to be there. Actually over 40 if you count people who we know will be there but haven't registered...
ConeDodger
cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif

51 days to WCR 2010 "Teeners at Tahoe"

Time to plan your route, find out who in your area is going so you can caravan.

If all of the beauty at Lake Tahoe was not enough reason to bring a digital camera - we have decided that the drive around the lake on Friday morning will also be a competitive photo rally. You need a partner and you will be given a list of things to get a picture of. No slamming on the brakes or going back is allowed. Besides, if you did slam on the brakes you would have a teener stuffed up your tailpipe! blink.gif If you do that and manage to get all the pictures and are judged to have taken the best pictures - by virtue of your photo rally performance and getting into an accident with two Teeners you could win two awards! The Photo Rally and That Guy!

Some of the things you need a picture of will be geographic and specific. Others will be random and quite possibly not come up. For instance, and this will be one of the rally photos you are assigned to get - A Porsche coming the other way. Imagine the Porsche owners surprise to see 40 Teeners coming the other direction and they're all taking pictures of him! lol-2.gif
Rand
Hey, I think I recognize the cars in that photo lineup. Tell me how I do:
KevinE, Curt/Greenie, Chris/effutuo101 (before sold to oldschool), and Jim.
ScooterD
I'm registered and ready to roll! This should be fun, how many people are signed up at this point?
driving.gif
McMark
33 people as of RIGHT NOW! cool.gif
biosurfer1
Not even close Mark! that was the last post....we're up to 41 and counting:)
jim_hoyland
And the goal is...100 ?
McMark
IPB Image
ConeDodger
QUOTE(McMark @ Mar 24 2010, 04:31 PM) *

IPB Image

Oh dear... We're going to need more chips and dip! blink.gif
ConeDodger

50 DAYS TO GO!!!

The 50th top reason to go to WCR2010 "Teeners at Tahoe" is getting to see at least 2 former "That Guy" winners in one place at the same time! Rumor has it that Eric Shea will be there and Jim Tabor is already registered. Tabor is defending "That Guy" champion! Eric Shea hasn't shown the form that won him the honors in years. Will Eric show some signs of contention? Will someone else step up to challenge the champion? You have to register for WCR2010 "Teeners at Tahoe" to find out!!!
jimtab
AND, I was training hard last night ( my Friday)....only 32 more working days @ 3 per week.....I am sooooo ready to retire......
ConeDodger

49 Days to go!!!

Well there you go folks! Jim is counting the days until his retirement from both his job and from his "That Guy" championship! Who will step up and challenge? biggrin.gif
ConeDodger

[size=4][/size]48 Days to go! Just 4 dozen![/b]

The 48th best reason to go to WCR2010 "Teeners at Tahoe" is you can find out what kind of condition your heart is in! That thin air is just like the stress test they give you... Just one rule though! All fun, no chest pain allowed biggrin.gif
ConeDodger
Late evening bump... Pic of jcd914 killin' a cone biggrin.gif
ConeDodger

Good Morning! It's your WCR2010 "Teeners at Tahoe" cheer.gif waving those pom-poms once again trying to get you people on the fence to jump on board! This is going to be fun, educational, you will have high altitude hangovers you will remember for life! Let's get registered people!!!
kenschipper
Signed up today.

Tahoe boat museum is pretty nice. Wood boats with interesting engines. On the West shore at Chambers Landing. (Also a nice place to eat on the water.)

Ken Schipper
Dr Evil
Thats moor my speed wink.gif I am nerdy like that.
Mike Bellis
Just signed up! got my hotel! Now I got to put the parts back on the car!
ConeDodger

46 Days to go!

Pretty much a month and a half to go till the WCR2010 "Teeners at Tahoe" event! This will be huge! Property values in Tahoe are going up in anticipation of all of the NARP's coming to town. biggrin.gif Seriously, the longer you wait to get registered and reserve your hotel, the higher the "property value". Register and reserve now!

Even out registration price goes up on the 15th of April. No deductions allowed. (a little tax humor. If there is such a thing)
ConeDodger

Just a bit more than six weeks until WCR2010 "Teeners at Tahoe" so get those projects done and buttoned up! We want to see you there. Be sure to study so you can get an A on the Tech Quiz too!

Just 45 days to go!!!
Root_Werks
Michelle and I are seeing if we can get a couple of days off so we can attend. Gotta do a little more work on the new 914 before I'll drive it that far as well. I'm thinking we'll make it.

driving.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Mar 30 2010, 07:50 AM) *

Michelle and I are seeing if we can get a couple of days off so we can attend. Gotta do a little more work on the new 914 before I'll drive it that far as well. I'm thinking we'll make it.

driving.gif

Perfect! We're gettin' the band back together man! (in your best John Belushi voice) biggrin.gif
ConeDodger
cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif

Just 44 days left till WCR2010 Teeners at Tahoe!

Registration costs rise in about 16 days so as they say "feelin' froggy? Better jump"
mightyohm
Just registered. If I am lucky, Kylie will come with me again this year. I don't know if she learned her lesson last time...
McMark
boldblue.gif Woot!
Dr Evil
QUOTE(mightyohm @ Mar 31 2010, 02:15 PM) *

Just registered. If I am lucky, Kylie will come with me again this year. I don't know if she learned her lesson last time...

You should bring her. She is cute wub.gif wink.gif
MartyYeoman
I figure I'll put off registration until April 14th, just like my taxes. shades.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(mightyohm @ Mar 31 2010, 10:15 AM) *

Hmmmm... Actually Jeff, we were hoping Kylie would leave you at home... poke.gif biggrin.gif lol-2.gif
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(Marty Yeoman @ Mar 31 2010, 12:44 PM) *

I figure I'll put off registration until April 14th, just like my taxes. shades.gif

How come I never see this car around town?
mightyohm
Kylie is in! I booked our room. We're driving up Friday.

If I'm lucky I'll have an oil cooler by then so I can drive through the hills flat out. driving.gif

Looking forward to seeing everyone in May. drunk.gif
ConeDodger

Good morning 914World! It's your WCR2010 Cheerleader giving you your 43 day warning! Get your registration in soon because the price goes up and the goodie bag gets lighter after April 15th~ Don't miss out on the fun!
ConeDodger

Time to get your wrench on! Do what you have to and get it running! I stole an engine from a guy down the block! (hi Jim biggrin.gif ) Get those cars running in time for WCR2010 "Teeners at Tahoe" If your car would be more comfortable on jackstands, bring them along and put it up on jackstands when you get here! 42 Days to go!!!
SirAndy
Booked the Hotel today. Now on to the registration ...

cheer.gif Andy
McMark
smilie_pokal.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 2 2010, 03:04 PM) *

Booked the Hotel today. Now on to the registration ...

Done and done. w00t.gif
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Apr 1 2010, 10:04 AM) *

... and the goodie bag gets lighter after April 15th~ Don't miss out on the fun!

I have something to make the goodie bags a little heavier Rob. Maybe not enough to go around though! smile.gif
PM me and I'll tell you about my idea.gif , and thoughts about my planned raffle prizes (plural).
ConeDodger

41 Days and Counting!

In talking behind the scenes with the Member Vendors who are providing their product for our drawing, I have to wonder - how is everyone who wins going to get all this stuff home! Your member vendors who sponsor WCR are being so generous that everyone should go home with something. What will you go home with?
Joe Bob
PAID............ KMA.gif
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Apr 3 2010, 07:56 AM) *

41 Days and Counting!

In talking behind the scenes with the Member Vendors who are providing their product for our drawing, I have to wonder - how is everyone who wins going to get all this stuff home! Your member vendors who sponsor WCR are being so generous that everyone should go home with something. What will you go home with?

Probably a hangover. drunk.gif
ConeDodger
cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif

Only 40 Days left!

Come and get your high-altitude hangover. Some of the best quality hangovers in the world. WCR2010 Teeners at Tahoe! That's where to get them. drunk.gif beerchug.gif beer.gif
ConeDodger
cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif

Only 39 Days left!!!

The days are ticking down! Get your registration in 'cause you don't want to miss this! The WCR2010 Teeners at Tahoe Event will be a blast but only if you come! See you there!!
ConeDodger
cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif

Just 38 Days to go till WCR2010 Teeners at Tahoe!

Better make those wrenches twirl! We are running out of time kiddo's! Make sure your registration is in and your room is reserved... Time is a tickin'
ConeDodger

37 DAYS TO GO!

Better twirl those wrenches like batons guys! The event is coming at us like a train on tracks. Get registered and make your plans! biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.