Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: mepstein build thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
SirAndy

So am I right in assuming this WAS a tailshift at some point?

Yes.
Plus, the tub has the tailshift pivot mount on the rear firewall ...

Did you grind the fender yet?
poke.gif Andy
scotty b
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 23 2010, 05:48 PM) *

Yes.

poke.gif Andy

No stirthepot.gif rolleyes.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Mar 23 2010, 09:38 PM) *

I am gonna install a real tail cone on that tranz. Man, that thing needs some love.

Keep in mind that I would like to get a rennshift and all the extra parts they make to go to the trans. Hopefully that's possible. I can bring it to Hershey or have it shipped to you. And I want to meet you in person and beg forgiveness for this mess.
mepstein
QUOTE(scotty b @ Mar 23 2010, 09:51 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 23 2010, 05:48 PM) *

Yes.

poke.gif Andy

No stirthepot.gif rolleyes.gif

He did and it has the vin of a real GT!
Dr Evil
Ya, it was a tail. The cone is one giveaway, but the short studs for the shift console are another. The tails did not need the long studs to hold the plug in there.

I can do a Wevo. No prob. Saves me a tail cone wink.gif Do I need to save some tail shift rods to install the wevo? I am pretty sure I do. Lucky you posted now as I was about to take some to the recycler on Fri wink.gif I'll hold onto them for you.
mepstein
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Mar 23 2010, 10:08 PM) *

Ya, it was a tail. The cone is one giveaway, but the short studs for the shift console are another. The tails did not need the long studs to hold the plug in there.

I can do a Wevo. No prob. Saves me a tail cone wink.gif Do I need to save some tail shift rods to install the wevo? I am pretty sure I do. Lucky you posted now as I was about to take some to the recycler on Fri wink.gif I'll hold onto them for you.

It's will be a rennshift from J-west, not Wevo. I don't think they replace the tailcone, just the linkage and bushings from the shifter to the trans. (now I'm pretending to know what I'm talking about) http://www.jwesteng.com/porsche/914/
Dr Evil
Oh, in that case, I have nothing special that I have to do unless you are getting the fancy kit that bolts to the console on the case. If it is just the cockpit shifter, then it hooks up stock.
mepstein
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Mar 23 2010, 10:30 PM) *

Oh, in that case, I have nothing special that I have to do unless you are getting the fancy kit that bolts to the console on the case. If it is just the cockpit shifter, then it hooks up stock.

I want the fancy kit. What kind of beer do you like?
Dr Evil
If the fancy kit requires any machining, I am not gonna be able to do it, but can have a shop do it locally. Minor machining is not an issue.

As for beer, free is best, after that I am open to anything that is not too hoppy. smile.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Mar 23 2010, 07:43 PM) *

If the fancy kit requires any machining, I am not gonna be able to do it, but can have a shop do it locally. Minor machining is not an issue.

Can you operate a drill?

shades.gif Andy

PS: There's a installation thread on here where i documented my install ...
mepstein
I looked at a thread from Andys and I think it's just drilling 2 holes where the linkage enters the cone, assembling linkage, welding the rod shorter and installing new bushings. I guess it's more a job for Scott once you get the trans back to shape. I don't think the kit goes into the trans, just upgrades all the linkage up to the point it enters the trans.
Dr Evil
Ya, I can do the drilling. The welding will be Scotty. smile.gif
bigkensteele
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Mar 23 2010, 06:43 PM) *

As for beer, free is best, after that I am open to anything that is not too hoppy. smile.gif

He likes O'Doulls, and he drinks it with a pinky up. poke.gif Newcastle if you want a cheap date. drunk.gif
scotty b
blink.gif
EdwardBlume
Aw my eyes! slap.gif
Eric_Shea
Can you operate a drill?

Questionable... blink.gif

tongue.gif
mepstein
Here's what I'm after without the hood badge. Would like to see more pics if someone knows the car/owner.
jonferns
Isnt that Steve's M471? Beautiful car
Eric_Shea
I believe so.
smg914
QUOTE(Jon Fernandes @ Mar 25 2010, 05:07 AM) *

Yes it is his car and I understand he's very popular Jon. The sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, wastoids, dweebies, dickheads - they all adore him. They think he's a righteous dude.
The car today looks slightly different than it did the the previous photo. It was restored a few years ago to look like it did back in the 70's when owned by Erich Strenger.
jonferns
Love the stripes Steve, was the whole car repainted?
smg914
QUOTE(Jon Fernandes @ Mar 25 2010, 07:44 AM) *

All but the belly, wheel wells and interior. Sorry for the hi-jack. I'm out......

tat2dphreak
QUOTE(smg914 @ Mar 25 2010, 10:38 AM) *

Yes it is his car and I understand he's very popular Jon. The sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, wastoids, dweebies, dickheads - they all adore him. They think he's a righteous dude.
The car today looks slightly different than it did the the previous photo. It was restored a few years ago to look like it did back in the 70's when owned by Erich Strenger.

WOW, that is gorgeous. the flat black really looks great for the stripes. what what color is the red?
smg914
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Mar 25 2010, 08:24 AM) *

QUOTE(smg914 @ Mar 25 2010, 10:38 AM) *

WOW, that is gorgeous. the flat black really looks great for the stripes. what what color is the red?

23 Blood Orange/Tangerine
gothspeed
QUOTE(smg914 @ Mar 25 2010, 08:58 AM) *

All but the belly, wheel wells and interior. Sorry for the hi-jack. I'm out......

For the record, you can never post enough pictures of it smile.gif!!!

Where is a 'flared teener' picture thread when you need it??
mepstein
QUOTE(smg914 @ Mar 25 2010, 11:58 AM) *

QUOTE(Jon Fernandes @ Mar 25 2010, 07:44 AM) *

Thanks for the post . High jack away or start your own thread. We all want to see more of this car!
SirAndy
Did you grind the fender yet? poke.gif
scotty b
barf.gif There were 2 spots on the car that really concerned me form the start. Both were bubbling under the paint. My concern was the bubblings were in straight lines, like a patch panel had been put in and the edges were rusting. Ended up just being very light rust most likely where water or sweat ran down the side while it was in bare metal before. Both rear quarters have been completely stripped. Only had one paint job, but I did find a couple of spots that will neeed some attention. Both door jambs have had some less than stellar repairs done, but I will work with what is there. You will also notice, the old bondo has almost NO adhesion in those spots as is evident by my putty knife blink.gif
scotty b
No turning back now biggrin.gif Couldn't quite get a straight overhead shot sad.gif But both rears are on and have a first coat of Everglass. Will shape those out tomorrow and start on the fronts smash.gif welder.gif
mepstein
Cool!

Would you or one of the crew that's stopping by your place before Hershey bring up the 2.0 Fuchs. I want to sell them at Hershey.
scotty b
Hey Mark here is a pic of the Minilights I told you about. Porsche 5 bolt pattern.
Mike Bellis
Is that sheet rock or bondo on the sail panel?
Dr Evil
I love the mini lites smile.gif
tomeric914
WTH? Epstein's got flares on and mine haven't shown up yet! KMA.gif

JK buddy, you deserve to be first after doing a kickass job on the group buy!
mepstein
I'm interested in the wheels if they are the size I'm looking for. Thanks, Mark
mepstein
QUOTE(tomeric914 @ Mar 25 2010, 10:37 PM) *

Proof that they are being made and shipped. I think they are going out in (roughly) the order the money was received.

I'm still waiting on GT rockers but Scott makes the rockers fit the flares, so there is no need to wait on flare install. From the looks of the previous body work, Scott has his work cut out for him.
mepstein
cool.gif--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(scotty b @ Mar 25 2010, 09:44 PM) *</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
Hey Mark here is a pic of the Minilights I told you about. Porsche 5 bolt pattern.
[/quote]

And these on a 914-6 GT
scotty b
Mo flares on biggrin.gif Mo rust found dry.gif
scotty b
sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif welder.gif
ghuff
Scottyb you are the man.

IPB Image
tat2dphreak
Scottyb you are the man.

agree.gif great work, man!
gothspeed
QUOTE(tomeric914 @ Mar 25 2010, 07:37 PM) *

I am still waiting for mine too!! So I can put them by my night stand biggrin.gif!!

QUOTE(ghuff @ Mar 30 2010, 12:01 PM) *

Scottyb you are the man.

+914 .......... it is looking great!!!
scotty b
Truth is I don't know jack. I just stop by Home Depot every morning and pick up a few amigos.
ghuff
QUOTE(scotty b @ Mar 30 2010, 11:20 AM) *

Truth is I don't know jack. I just stop by Home Depot every morning and pick up a few amigos.

Ahh so you know Jose.
MDG
Scotty can install a complete set of flares in like 52 minutes.

There might be witchcraft involved blink.gif

You are too good man. Kudos.
snakemain
Wow, that's looking good!

My flares are sitting in the baby's room...due in a month. Hopefully I can get someone to weld mine on in the next few weeks!
tat2dphreak
My flares are sitting in the baby's room...due in a month. Hopefully I can get someone to weld mine on in the next few weeks!

mount them to the crib smile.gif
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(ghuff @ Mar 30 2010, 02:01 PM) *

Scottyb you are the man.

[img]

I hope you don't run into problems like that on mine. If you do I will never be able to afford the paint job!
mepstein
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Mar 30 2010, 06:18 PM) *

QUOTE(ghuff @ Mar 30 2010, 02:01 PM) *

Scottyb you are the man.

[img]

I hope you don't run into problems like that on mine. If you do I will never be able to afford the paint job!

Wait a minute, you mean Scott is going to charge me for all this work??? I thought he just...Oh crap, nevermind, it was just a dream.
veltror
unsure.gif Apologies for the Hijack but can anybody who is a dab hand at PS do a Porsche Speed yellow version of the red car with the black stripes, might just be what I am after.

As for the flares going on I wish my resto was at that point but sadly no....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.