Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: mepstein build thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Larmo63
"I knew the tank would be bad. 20 years of sitting would do that to any tank but I think the rest of the car will be ok. I told Scott I don't want to do it if it needs major work. No long replacement, major panel work, ect. If it needs that, I'll put it away and buy a car that's already been redone. I don't think its worth putting big money in these cars when there are good ones available for less than cost of good restoration."

(Post #54 of this thread) lol-2.gif
jimkelly
i got mine here, although my trans has not been modified, i just drive it like it was smile.gif

http://www.nirvanamotorsports.com/porsche-...ed-shift-knobs/
mepstein
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Feb 4 2016, 06:57 PM) *

"I knew the tank would be bad. 20 years of sitting would do that to any tank but I think the rest of the car will be ok. I told Scott I don't want to do it if it needs major work. No long replacement, major panel work, ect. If it needs that, I'll put it away and buy a car that's already been redone. I don't think its worth putting big money in these cars when there are good ones available for less than cost of good restoration."

headbang.gif
dlee6204
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Feb 4 2016, 06:57 PM) *

That's awesome lol-2.gif
Larmo63
We live in a free country, and you are free to change your mind, Mark.

God knows I have when it comes to my 914s.
mepstein
Timothy's gauges pray.gif
jmill
first.gif

They look perfect"
timothy_nd28
What lays behind it looks perfect!
jd74914
QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ Feb 13 2016, 01:01 PM) *

What lays behind it looks perfect!

Looks like the rear fender of a 962. drooley.gif
mepstein
The gauges look even better in person. I had sent him old, crappy gauges so when I pulled them out of the box, I was blown away. The LEDs are just icing...
timothy_nd28
Thanks beerchug.gif I wasn't sure where to set the controller to switch to red,so I set the threshold around 5800 rpm.
mepstein
QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ Feb 13 2016, 09:43 PM) *

Thanks beerchug.gif I wasn't sure where to set the controller to switch to red,so I set the threshold around 5800 rpm.

The engine builder said the redline is 6800. I'm sure we can make some adjustments.
timothy_nd28
No adjustments needed, this controller has a built in rev limiter which will keep the engine from exceeding 5800rpm,,,kidding! Yes, this is a easy adjustment.
scotty b
Mark's rust repairs will be done this week, then BIG RED is off to his shop smile.gif
BeatNavy
Wow, I enjoy seeing work like this, Scotty. I know Mark will be happy.

Time for him to pick up another car smile.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Jul 11 2016, 07:03 PM) *

My boss just picked up a '65 - 912 that I'm determined to get from him.
BeatNavy
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 11 2016, 07:38 PM) *

QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Jul 11 2016, 07:03 PM) *

My boss just picked up a '65 - 912 that I'm determined to get from him.

Nice! I guess a problem is only really a problem when it's, well,...a problem.

No problem!
gms
Nice work (as usual) Scotty!
Cairo94507
smilie_pokal.gif welder.gif smash.gif
wndsnd
Looks Fantastic!

mepstein
QUOTE(scotty b @ Jul 11 2016, 06:56 PM) *

Mark's rust repairs will be done this week, then BIG RED is off to his shop smile.gif

Scott - I think there's a reinforcement piece for that floor pan from RD floating around some where. If you see it, throw it in the car.
mepstein
Just received 3 sets of door cards from 914 rubber.
mepstein
this little guy bumped my pickup of big red from scotty b's by a couple days.
mepstein
But my boss let me play with this as a consolation.
Dion
Tough life there in Delaware Mark! Break out your Miami Vice soundtrack:-)
mepstein
QUOTE(Dion @ Oct 27 2016, 04:07 PM) *

Tough life there in Delaware Mark! Break out your Miami Vice soundtrack:-)

As cliche' as it looks it's actually a really fun.
sixnotfour
sure has a long nose....and we make fun of crazy 914 style attempts Haha...I bet it will be great to have your 914 in control..
mepstein
Pulled the dash pad and cleaned it up. Still looked good. I don't think it was ever perfect when it went in the car but it's one of the few things that 25 years of storage didn't hurt. I'm going to pull the sub dash to weld in the restoration design piece that puts the key on the left side of the column and then strip the tub to get it ready for media blasting.
914forme
RD make a piece to restore the key to is proper location? idea.gif
914forme
914-6 switch dash piece

Never knew that, thank you Mark
Cairo94507
Very cool.
mepstein
One of the fun things about having 3 project cars and 2 motorcycle builds going is coming home each day to the parts fairy.
mepstein
I haven't forgotten about big red. Since the 3.2 engine and trans I planned on using went to the blue narrowbody, I decided to do something different. So we are going cableshift 915 transmission on the back of a 3.6 engine. The engine is a big chunk of money that I don't have yet but I was able to pick up a core trans.
mepstein
It needs some work where the clutch cable mount is broken. Now who do I know who welds mag? biggrin.gif
mepstein
I purchased the trans as a core since it had "issues".
I found a "tooth" and a pin sitting inside the case.
Looked a little more and found the gear with the missing tooth.
All in all, not bad.
Fix the case
Send to machine shop to flip the diff.
Find a gear, add a LSD and rebuild.
Cairo94507
My dentist might be able to do a post and crown on that broken tooth......
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.