Full Version: mepstein build thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
mepstein
QUOTE(timofly @ Jan 12 2011, 08:33 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 21 2010, 07:45 PM) *

QUOTE(jmill @ Mar 21 2010, 08:34 PM) *

QUOTE(kwales @ Mar 20 2010, 05:45 PM) *

That may be an aftermarket sway bar. I have a huge diameter rear sway bar that was made by Addco and it's bolted onto the trunk floor of one of my cars- just like that.

A photo of the mounting link area where it attaches to the shock area might show which it is. The factory uses a ball stud to attach to the shock, and Addco uses a bracket. I have one of each of the rear sway bars.

The factory 2.0 swaybar had a doubler spot welded above the mounts inside the rear trunk. No doublers means it's not a factory 2.0 car. Being an early tub ruled that out anyhow.

Did the vin on the top of the inner fender get ground off and painted over?

I want to get rid of the rear swaybar anyway.
Seems like the vin is from a 74?
Anyway, not so important since I'm not trying to sell car. and since everything matches, it shouldn't be a problem re-registering car. If there was something fishy done- once upon a time - well, that was 25+ years ago.
Scott - Remember, that foglight switch has a secret function shades.gif

Mark, that is a '74 VIN, about 17 numbers away from mine!

17 numbers and 4 years away. biggrin.gif
Where are you in NJ? I know there are a bunch of 914's around but I never see them. sad.gif
mepstein
So far it's been pretty easy. Powdercoated parts will get bead blasted, injectors will get overhauled.
mepstein
Cracked fan housing will be replaced.
scotty b
Mark if that stuff is really powder coated, blasting won't do jack to it. You are going to need to get s gallon of aircraft stripper and soak the pieces in it for at least a few hours, possibly overnight depending on how good a job was done.
mepstein
Yes, you told me that's how you do it. I was going to leave the parts natural and wipe down with this product - Gibbs Brand www.roadsters.com/gibbs
RiqueMar
It'll make them look really sharp if, once they're down to their base, you sand them to get everything smooth. I was going to do the same thing with the 3.2 we have, as you can see the lines where they come together...
mepstein
Ferrari 308 cores
mepstein
+ Eric Shea's magic
mepstein
= 914-6 GT calipers biggrin.gif
Eric_Shea
smilie_pokal.gif happy to be a part of this build.
tomeric914
Might be worth clear coating those pretty calipers. Cad plating alone doesn't last long especially if you plan on driving it regularly. Certain car wash concentrates and wheel cleaners will degrade cad plating.

Eric_Shea
ATE uses Zinc so do we. wink.gif
tomeric914
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jan 27 2011, 09:54 AM) *

ATE uses Zinc so do we. wink.gif

Yea, but the same thing can happen with zinc.
Eric_Shea
Clear peels and discolors so... you're kinda stuck either way.
tomeric914
True. Your work is a thing of beauty. Just trying to prolong it!

BTW, I had intentions of just rebuilding/rejetting the carbs I bought from you but you made everything look too nice. Now I have to clean everything else up as well! w00t.gif
Eric_Shea
(sorry) biggrin.gif

That should be a nice 914 setup. Try the Pinesol trick?? Looks like others here have had good results.
tomeric914
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jan 27 2011, 11:34 AM) *

(sorry) biggrin.gif

That should be a nice 914 setup. Try the Pinesol trick?? Looks like others here have had good results.

Sorry for the threadjack Mark.

I haven't cleaned them yet. Had to make sure they came apart first. Typical corrosion inside from sitting. One air corrector was munged and had to be CAREFULLY drilled out to the point of picking the brass threads out of the carburetor body threads. Jets and rebuilds on order. Should get to it next week.
scotty b
THE AMAZING FLYING EPSTEIN !!!! biggrin.gif
jimkelly
or your rotisserie section not tied in to each other?

one day, my pig is gonna be there getting the full spa treatment, one day.

jim
scotty b
Not tied together. I don't see any need if the other bracing on the car is done properly. I also am not finished with the rotisserie. I still need to add some hydraulic jacks on either end to raise and lower it, add some casters to move it around, and if I feel it need it I will add a tie in. Once the wheels are on I think I will need the tie in. Also going to remake the mounts. These were temporary to get the last job done and to get back on Marks car.
mepstein
Would it look funny to delete the windshield washer jets? The pressure system was never functional in the past and I never plan to spray water at this car on purpose. idea.gif
scotty b
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 26 2011, 07:26 AM) *

Would it look funny to delete the windshield washer jets? The pressure system was never functional in the past and I never plan to spray water at this car on purpose. idea.gif

So you're never going to wash it ? huh.gif poke.gif
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(scotty b @ Mar 26 2011, 12:24 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 26 2011, 07:26 AM) *

So you're never going to wash it ? huh.gif poke.gif

Nope, he plans to have it shined down at the corner dry cleaners. I just hope they don't over starch it! happy11.gif
mepstein
Did a shop day at Scott's. Made some progress on the engine parts.
jimkelly
are these all sand blasted - or is this the finish?
Dr Evil
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 31 2011, 07:48 AM) *

Did a shop day at Scott's shop. Made some progress on the engine parts.

Poor Scotty poke.gif
EdwardBlume
aktion035.gif aktion035.gif aktion035.gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif
mepstein
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Mar 31 2011, 08:00 AM) *

are these all sand blasted - or is this the finish?

Heavy duty paint remover, wire wheel, glass bead blasted and then sprayed with Gibbs to (hopefully) prevent oxidation.

Scott was right - removing powder coat is a bitch!
mepstein
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Mar 31 2011, 08:10 AM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 31 2011, 07:48 AM) *

Did a shop day at Scott's shop. Made some progress on the engine parts.

Poor Scotty poke.gif

agree.gif I ran the blaster all afternoon and spoiled his peace and quiet.
SUNAB914
I still need to make it down there, sorry only an hour away and can't get off my butt to do it. Soon I hope! Are you open on Saturdays?
scotty b
QUOTE(SUNAB914 @ Mar 31 2011, 05:52 AM) *

I still need to make it down there, sorry only an hour away and can't get off my butt to do it. Soon I hope! Are you open on Saturdays?

for now. As the weather gets nicer I will be here less and less on Saturdays.....I hope.......... dry.gif
mepstein
Trying to clean engine of remaining colorful tin. PO powder coated tin yellow. Removes easy on the top but I would have to remove (destroy) oil return tubes on the bottom to remove tin. Replacements are $25/each but the thought of doing anything to a leak free engine makes me cringe. I want tin to be silver or black. Any suggestions?

Not my engine but good example of what I'm talking about.
type47
QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 7 2011, 11:15 AM) *

Any suggestions?

Forget about the bottom of the engine. It'll be hidden behind the headers and if you are under there seeing it, you've got bigger troubles.
tomeric914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 7 2011, 03:15 PM) *

Any suggestions?

Lower the ride height so nobody can look underneath.
mepstein
Good points but I've looked at too many engine pics on Pelican and Bee Jay had to show how clean and neat his turned out, and blah blah blah.

So maybe clean and scuff the yellow powder coat and then paint with high temp coating.

Have to see what Scott will approve.
scotty b
blink.gif
mepstein
Yea, starting at post #1 poke.gif
okieflyr
QUOTE(type47 @ Apr 7 2011, 04:43 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 7 2011, 11:15 AM) *

Any suggestions?

Forget about the bottom of the engine. It'll be hidden behind the headers and if you are under there seeing it, you've got bigger troubles.

Let the yellow tin be your health or leak indicators ....
mepstein
Well, it's not quite ready for assembly but I couldn't resist doing a quick mock up.
Still need to send out fuel injectors, convert oil cooler and buy DME(EFI brain) and harness.
mepstein
Our resident German girl stands guard. biggrin.gif
jim912928
yellow will make it faster! lol
MDG
The engine is looking great, Mark! Did you end up using the Vertex fan shroud and if so how was the fit?

m.
mepstein
QUOTE(MDG @ May 12 2011, 06:37 PM) *

The engine is looking great, Mark! Did you end up using the Vertex fan shroud and if so how was the fit?

m.

Yes. I bought the shroud direct from Vertex. Ordered over phone to make sure I got the right one. Great customer service and fast shipping. Alternator and fan fit perfectly. They said they have tweeked the mold and this one is 3rd generation. Comes in the gray as pictured. Doesn't have the smooth finish of stock shroud and looks a bit more industrial than oe Porsche part. Does match the bead blasted finish of my other parts. Says "Made in SA".

J P Stein
The oil return tubes on the motor pictured are of the collapsible type....ether it is not a good example or you have no problem removing them without damage.
mepstein
QUOTE(J P Stein @ May 12 2011, 09:17 PM) *

The oil return tubes on the motor pictured are of the collapsible type....ether it is not a good example or you have no problem removing them without damage.

Your right, not a good example. I'm over that now. Too many other things going on.
Loser_Cruiser
What was your reasoning for using the 3.2 intake on your 3.6? I have heard of people doing this, I was just hoping I could hear the justification.
mepstein
QUOTE(Loser_Cruiser @ May 12 2011, 09:54 PM) *

What was your reasoning for using the 3.2 intake on your 3.6? I have heard of people doing this, I was just hoping I could hear the justification.

It's a 3.2 engine. I'll be lucky to get it back together and not have spare parts like Greg in Brady Bunch. biggrin.gif
scotty b
QUOTE(mepstein @ May 12 2011, 06:08 PM) *

QUOTE(Loser_Cruiser @ May 12 2011, 09:54 PM) *

It's a 3.2 engine. I'll be lucky to get it back together and not have spare parts like Greg in Brady Bunch. biggrin.gif

That may very well be the first and only time the Brady Bunch has been mentioned on this site huh.gif
Eric_Shea
Can you believe Greg was hit'n that?
Cairo94507
But I WANT a 3.2!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.