Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shall I say...SIX?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Rusty
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Jun 27 2004, 09:57 PM)
The price to rebuild a small 6: 10-12k. price to rebuild a 3.0 and up: 10-12k

The small engines look good up front because they are normally REALLY cheap.  Porsche changed when they released the 3.0. Quality went WAY up.

Unless you are governed by some racing rules or building a car for a specific class.. run a 3.0/3.2/3.6.

I also factor in driveability. An injected 3.0/3.2/3.6 quickly becomes a awesome daily driver with enough balls to run with just about anything being produced today and still get decent gas mileage.

Those prices must factor shop labor. If it's going to cost 10-12k to rebuild a small /6, then I'll just take my car to the junkyard when I come back stateside, and just buy a Honda.

-Rusty smoke.gif
Trekkor
Pg. 51 June '04 Panorama-

Motor Meister
rebuild kits
2.0-2.7=$599
3.0-3.2=$649

Complete rebuilt long block 3.6 =$5495 exch.

I want to run my 2.0? and then save my money and look for a fire breathing six bomb.
IronHillRestorations
QUOTE(Lawrence @ Jun 26 2004, 11:19 PM)
[1. Rebuild the existing motor, bored out cylinders to 2.2, solex cams and custom JE pistons. A bit of headwork will help make it flow. Add piston squirters, the oil bypass mod and other clean-up machine work, and I'm in the 6-7k range for the motor I think.

2. Buy another used motor outright (up to 2.7), and box up the stock motor for a future project.

We all know how I feel about FI. :finger2:

By the time you do all the machine work upgrading the (basically) 1969T engine, you may as well find a good 2.2E or S core and build it. In the long run it would probably cost you less.

I'm no FI expert, but I'll tell you that a 3.2 with Motronic is the way to go with large displacement 914's. I feel very competent and comfortable tuning Webers, but I'd trade that skill for reliable, no back firing when cold, turn the key and go, Motronic.

The Motronic system isn't like the 914 FI system. Have you ever drove a 914 with a 3.2 Motronic engine??? It would change your tune smoke.gif

But it's your car and your $$, you need to do what makes you get wood.

PK cool.gif
Brad Roberts
He doesnt know about MM.

B
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(trekkor @ Jun 27 2004, 10:29 AM)
Motor Meister
rebuild kits
2.0-2.7=$599
3.0-3.2=$649

Complete rebuilt long block 3.6 =$5495 exch.

find out *exactly* what's in those "rebuild kits" - sounds like it's just a gasket kit, rod bearings, and rod bolts. MAYBE rings.

find out EXACTLY what MM puts in their "complete rebuilt long block"...
Trekkor
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Jun 27 2004, 11:39 AM)
He doesnt know about MM.

It's true I don't know. wacko.gif

I'm a know knothing knothead blink.gif ...Today.

Tell me what I need to know.
seanery
I talked to those guys (MotorMeister) before I started the conversion process on bluecar. They use and are proud of using, used parts. They feel those are better? I was turned off by them, then discussed them with folks in the LA area and decided it was best to forget they exist.
Trekkor
Are you saying they sell used: bearings, rings, gaskets, etc. as a rebuild kit?

Not likely. Esp if they are a consistant advertiser in Pano. ( $$$ )

Stranger things do happen...I know this to be true.
Brad Roberts
He said:

They use and are proud of using, used parts

They like to reuse old cylinders/pistons/rods/rod bolts... everything Porsche recommends you replace.

You get what you pay for. It ranks right up there with their *rebuilt* trannies. They collect semi worn used parts and *rebuild* trannies with them.

They sell new bearings/seals.

B
Air_Cooled_Nut
Though Porsche is my #1 car, a Ferrari would be a worthy stallion for my stable. I look at the Ferrari engine and it looks gorgeous, especially those with the red textured valve covers. That's what I think of when I hear Ferrari. Heck, I'd be happy with a mock engine (gutless) as a base for a glass table. It's the engine. When I think of Ferrari I think of a beautiful car with a gorgeous Ferrari engine, not a Ferrari body with a common Chevy or Mazda or Subaru engine.

So, when it comes to Porsches, they gotta have the Porsche engine. Now I know the history of the little 914 and even though they did come with the VW four-banger my head, my soul, thinks of the 914 as a true Porsche sports car that has the six-banger powerplant. Open the bonnet and bask in the glow of a pure-Porsche sixer. How could you ever stop smiling?

I say go to the expense and install the six. You can always swap something bigger once the current loans are paid for wink.gif Do it for the purity, the passion, and the self-gratifying oohs-n-aaaahs biggrin.gif

Okay, before feathers get ruffled about the 4-banger...I have a rebuilt 2.0L, stock FI (FI is superior to carbs and the path I choose to drive) in my 914. My Squareback has a BUILT air-cooled engine (carbed laugh.gif ). It's fun to give the snooty V8 crowd and punk rice boyz in Mummy&Daddy's pimp-mobile a serious run for their money in a powerful four-banger, heck yeah. But for my 914 (if I had the $$$) I would definitely drop in a 2.0L six-banger. It's all about the soul.
Trekkor
I ran into a little snag on the test oil line fitting today headbang.gif

One end is the wrong size. Oh well. I'll look tomorrow.

On a positve note, I drove a friend's Boxter today.
He just got new tires and it was blast. It has the 2.7 with the 5 speed.
The sound and the power of the six was AWESOME. clap56.gif

I am going to make every effort to do this project.
The actual transplant, motor checks out O.K., will be after a/x and into winter. biggrin.gif
McMark
Come on trekkor, you're slow! Vroom, vroom!
Gint
When people say: "The small engines are fine" I immediately ask them if they have ever ridden in a 3.0 or 3.2 powered 914. 99% of the time the answer is NO.

The small engines are fine. Yes, I've driven a 3.2 powered 914. But it's your car, do what you want with it.

Here's the thing Trekkor. You got a decent deal on a running small 6. Do the conversion, pop in the motor, and if you want more power later, All you need do is find a lareger motor and fork over the $$$.
Trekkor
Vroom Vroom is right. We started that thing...Tonight clap56.gif clap56.gif

Mark thanks for your help...again. cool_shades.gif

Had to shim out the VW bus bell housing to get the starter gear off the flywheel after start-up..

Carbs need rebuilding...No surprise there.
Fired right up though and revved up. I'm very satisfied.

All you SIX nuts, help me with this.
Weber 40IDA's have 55 idles, 30 chokes and 180's visible down the sight hole ( emulsion tube stack? )

We made a video of the intial start and run ( with flywheel clatter ) . Mark will post it tomorrow night for your entertainment. I wish we shot some footage after some tweaking. The first couple of minute were...well, rather smokey. confused24.gif

Anyway, progress. mueba.gif

Cheer me on!

KT
Randal
Remember that Larry Sharp's little 914 6 - 2.0 used to clean up at GGR autox two/ three years ago.

He knew how to drive and had a solid car.
Trekkor
here
Trekkor
yeah, baby!
nebreitling
awesome, trekkor. your face in that picture says it all!

i say find a way to keep that exhaust as is! smilie_pokal.gif
McMark
The exhaust would be easy to install as is, just take out the rear window. The only thing is I don't think a SuperTrapp 3 inches from your ear is a great idea. lol2.gif Now if he could turn it around, that might be cool.
Root_Werks
Good job locating an engine Trekkor! Now just put the thing in your 914 and enjoy. Don't listen to people who are talking 3.0/3.2/3.6. The engines cost money, a lot of money. You now have a six to put in. Do it, drive it until something better comes along that you can afford.

Congrats! Looks great! beerchug.gif

If you need anthything that I can help with, let me know. I would be willing to help out with my back yard bob 914-6 tin, bell crank throttle linkage and muffler bracket if you like.

Sweat! Another 914 will be a six soon! biggrin.gif
McMark
Here's the video. It's almost 60 MB. If somebody can shrink it, please do. biggrin.gif

http://www.914world.com/members/markd/movi...es/trekkor6.mpg
Trekkor
I really enjoy this video. The engine is absolutly RAW.
Once it get gets off the rough idle it ROARS to life. Deafening.

Listen to the starter dinking up my flywheel. headbang.gif

This is literally the first start-up footage for you.
The thing was running and revving after about twenty seconds after sitting for up to 4 years. We didn't even have to prime the carbs or use starting fluid.

I am very stoked, as the engine is only idling on three cylinders.
Mark cleared the idle jets, we shot smoe carb cleaner at it and it improved greatly. YESSSSS boldblue.gif

Next video will be it bench-roaring on rebuilt Webers.

GO SIX!

KT
SirAndy
so, you'll be running FM as well ???

cool.gif Andy
Trekkor
I'll finish out the year in BP. This is my winter project, Sir.

Next year, we'll be using the new GGR point based classing. confused24.gif

KT
Trekkor
If the the motor was in there right now and it is a 2.0 I'd be in FP.
2.2 and I'm GP.

Slicks and I'm FM with the 2.0, 2.2 = GM

...anyway.

KT
Gint
With the exception of the idle, that thing sounds BAD ASS!
Joe Bob
And they say "I'm" crazy.....
MXMARK
Trekkor, That video makes me want to go home and hook up an oil tank to my 2.0L six that has been sitting for 10 years. Wow!! That was cool. Go little six Go. Mark
Aaron Cox
wow... the clink clank. did that mess up yur starter/flywheel? sounds cool dude! and flip the exhaust and run it out the engine lid laugh.gif
McMark
The flywheel and starter were fine. We shimmed the bell housing back a bit. It was a vw bus bell housing, so the dimensions were a bit off.
Trekkor
icon_bump.gif
Easy 800th post.

Watch the video and tell me something! confused24.gif

KT

Start-up video
Trekkor
Brad, you would of loved it. Even if just to mock me for burning my arm on the header. lol2.gif

KT
nebreitling
"That's HOT!"

nice ending!
MXMARK
Trekkor are you selling that trick exhaust? Maybe I need to buy a dune buggy and put me 2.0L six in it. How did you rig up the oil tank? I have a trans and a starter I just need to get the oil system to bench run my motor. Good luck with the project. Thanks Mark
Trekkor
The exhaust is likely uneeded. Tri-Mil 6 into 1 with Supertrapp...Ouch. ( that's hot.) pointing. lol2.gif

Oil tank is just leaning against my toolbox out of the picture.

Trekkor
Trekkor
Update:

The last two autocrosses had 914-6's that trashed me!
...And I picked up my Patrick Moly Mount today.

One more item to cross off the list. clap56.gif

KT
Steve
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Aug 19 2004, 06:20 AM)
 Don't listen to people who are talking 3.0/3.2/3.6.
  biggrin.gif

Nothing personal against the four bangers but any six is cool no matter what the size is.
My favorite song will always be a six with webers.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Steve @ Sep 22 2004, 07:48 PM)

i don't know ...

the *roar* of a 1.8 with D-Jet and a monza is hard to beat!
laugh.gif Andy
McMark
QUOTE(Steve @ Sep 22 2004, 06:48 PM)
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Aug 19 2004, 06:20 AM)
 Don't listen to people who are talking 3.0/3.2/3.6.
  biggrin.gif

Nothing personal against the four bangers but any six is cool no matter what the size is.

I've been enjoying a couple of Pepe Deluxe albums lately, so I guess those are my favorites.
Maltese Falcon
Trekkor , since you've got your motor mount..it looks like you're converting to 6-congrats ! wink.gif
An old friend of mine , Joe Miller (founded TriMil) built your dune-header. Joe passed on recently-but he built some crazy stuff !
I started our parts upgrade company in 1976, and focused on the 914. Since then I've still got it bad for 914s. If you need some decent mandrel (correct) headers for your conversion- - I can hook you up with a pair when you're ready. These are close copies of the factory race style used in the early 70's, direct fit without extensions.
Since we are both board members here ...you can have these at the W/D price (call me-- can't post $!) blink.gif
Marty/ msdsinc. 818-507-6937
Root_Werks
Trekkor,
I haven't forgot about you! biggrin.gif I will get some templates off to you soon for the engine tin, exhaust (muffler) hanger and whatever else I can dig up for you. I still have the P Moly mount on my conversion, works just fine. Sorry I didn't get that stuff to you earlier, but my after hours shop still has a waiting list. It is fun work, but man! My wife has been giving my looks lately. ohmy.gif
Trekkor
Headers, we've got headers.

Thanks to Marty at MSDS. clap56.gif

www.msdsinc.com

KT
ArtechnikA
very, very pretty !
Trekkor
I got a muffler yesterday from Martin. Thank you.

Ansa four tipped dual quiet packs.

Got the sheet metal templates last week as well, yay!
thanks, dan.

KT
Trekkor
pic
Trekkor
pic
Joe Bob
That should rust in about a week.... wacko.gif
Trekkor
Rust is good...It will match my car. monkeydance.gif
Aaron Cox
splurge on the exhaust. you dont want it to look like a vw do you? biggrin.gif
Trekkor
VW, I love VW's. idea.gif
I want something inexpensive that I can use for street only. This was it.

I'm open to other options for track. Or not. idea.gif

KT
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.