I'm setting the bar...
I want to have the motor in the car by the end of November! mueba.gif

I need the oil tank and lines.

KT
Trekkor
Red Headers

KT
Root_Werks
Trekkor, I like the headers! smilie_pokal.gif I opted for the insta-rust Bursch ones. biggrin.gif Hey, I'm cheap!

Do you have the throttle linkage sorted out? Can I help with that at all?
Trekkor
I need some advice and pictures to set up the linkage.

You could really help. clap56.gif

KT
Root_Werks
I just drove the 914-6 last night w/o wife. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif Hammered the snot out of. That poor 2.2 just loves to scream. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Yeah, let me pull my latest bell crank off this weekend. I want to re-do it and make a cleaner one from a jig. This one was a test one that just happened to work perfect. So when the time comes, you pay for shipping and it's yours. I want to make nicer looking ones to sell to suckers..... I mean customers. laugh.gif
Trekkor
Yes, I want it!

I can use the stock-4 cable right?
Post some pics here would you?

KT
Eric_Shea
Keep this up Trekkor... you'll have yourself a Halloween Classic; Night of the Living Thread laugh.gif
Trekkor
I was thinking more along the lines of...

"Thread time for Bonzo" monkeydance.gif

lol2.gif

KT
Root_Werks
QUOTE(trekkor @ Oct 22 2004, 04:57 PM)
Yes, I want it!

I can use the stock-4 cable right?
Post some pics here would you?

KT

Yeah, useses the stock 914-4 cable. You need nothing but a couple of hand tools to install and adjust. That's it. I'll even make and throw in another rod so it will be a complete kit for you. biggrin.gif

I almost, mind you almost got to it last night. I lowered the 914 about 1" set it down and adjusted the front to match. But by the time I was ready to put it back up to start doing the heater tubes and pull the throttle, I had to go to a Cub Scout thingy. Oh well. I will start on it tonight again.

The only pic's I have suck. But I will take better ones when I pull it off. biggrin.gif
Trekkor
Great! biggrin.gif

Looking foward to that!

KT
Trekkor
Ran the motor for a few minutes this afternoon.

It just fires up and runs well.

My earball was spot on with the timing light.
35 degrees at 6000 rpm's. clap56.gif

I love revving it up. wub.gif

KT
Root_Werks
Sweet! Yep, gotta love the sound of a six. wub.gif

I can't ship off the prototype bell crank until I get my parts from Gary (Parts Obsolete). I am hoping to get everything this weekend. He said he never had anyone order 10 balls and 20 ball cups before. laugh.gif He didn't have them in stock. Anyway, yesterday he said he should have them this week and shoot them off to me.

So, have you striaghtened your shifter bar yet?

I still have my 914 up in the air and will take some pic's of my heater system. It works good, but not great. rolleyes.gif
Trekkor
Dan, Thanks for the update on the throttle parts.

Shifter is still in use mueba.gif

I'm still a little confused about the shifter.
One SIX owner says his shifter is unmodified and works perfect confused24.gif

I'll do it ...only if I must.

KT
IronHillRestorations
QUOTE(trekkor @ Nov 10 2004, 06:14 PM)
One SIX owner says his shifter is unmodified and works perfect

Tailshifter, has to be. There's no way a stock side shifter shift rod will work with a six. You'll do it, cause you must biggrin.gif
Trekkor
Then.. I must. cool_shades.gif

KT
Root_Werks
You willll, modifiy you shift bar (insert Jedi hand wave here). laugh.gif

Yep, on the side shifters, the bend in the bar hits the engine or the headers. I can't rememeber anymore, it has been too long since I installed one that wasn't modified.

You can do it yourself, or you can send your bar to me and I will weld in a straight peice for you. sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif

When do you plan on pulling the 4cyl out? boldblue.gif
Trekkor
The FOUR should be coming out in a couple of weeks.

Make way for the SIX!

KT
Kerrys914
Guys, how long is the shift bar? I need to get a shipping box from work and need the length. huh.gif

Cheers
Brad Smith
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Jun 1 2004, 05:04 AM)
Take it and run my man! That is a helluva deal. I will give you $1600! biggrin.gif

Let the bidding begin... laugh.gif
Brad Smith
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Jun 6 2004, 10:43 AM)
Once again I'll say if you are gonna do a conversion, just drop a Small Block chevy in it..

Easier and cheaper to repair than a six.. You can get 300 HP and never even try to do so! Just bolt it together. Hell all the parts can come from Summit!

TIV, or V8 if you ask me...

Corvair 6. Cheap, easy 175 hp, air cooled so you don't have to mess with that plumbing crap. biggrin.gif

Brad
IronHillRestorations
QUOTE(Brad Smith @ Nov 11 2004, 11:32 AM)
Corvair 6. Cheap, easy 175 hp, air cooled so you don't have to mess with that plumbing crap.

IIRC that engine turns the wrong way, so you'd have five killer reverse gears and one granny forward! biggrin.gif Oh and that awesome fanbelt set up! barf.gif Good reason why they didn't make that car too many years!
Root_Werks
QUOTE(Kerrys914 @ Nov 11 2004, 08:47 AM)
Guys, how long is the shift bar? I need to get a shipping box from work and need the length. huh.gif

Cheers

Well, when I straighten bars, I cut out 73 1/4" so add another 6" to each side for good messure and I would say the bar is no longer than 86"? idea.gif
Series9
QUOTE(9146986 @ Nov 11 2004, 01:28 PM)
Corvair 6.  Cheap, easy 175 hp, air cooled so you don't have to mess with that plumbing crap.

IIRC that engine turns the wrong way, so you'd have five killer reverse gears and one granny forward! biggrin.gif Oh and that awesome fanbelt set up! barf.gif Good reason why they didn't make that car too many years!

Well, you could use a 915 tranny without having to flip the diff... wink.gif
Mueller
QUOTE(914RS @ Nov 11 2004, 01:47 PM)
QUOTE(9146986 @ Nov 11 2004, 01:28 PM)
Corvair 6.  Cheap, easy 175 hp, air cooled so you don't have to mess with that plumbing crap.

Well, you could use a 915 tranny without having to flip the diff... wink.gif

then you have to add on $600 for the adapter plate and flywheel (regardless of transmission used) hmmmm what gearbox did the Corvair use??
sixnotfour
Not to Keep the Corvair thing going but, they did produce them from 1960 to 1969 with a
huge suspension improvemenet in 1965.
When I was 16 i had an air cooled and turbocharged first car with a tach ,cyl. head temp gage, and a boost gage ,and a horizental cooling fan.
3rd place in year end points for autocross that year too.
Oh ya cost me 300 bucks. Jeff
IronHillRestorations
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Nov 11 2004, 12:45 PM)
Well, when I straighten bars, I cut out 73 1/4" so add another 6" to each side for good messure and I would say the bar is no longer than 86"? idea.gif

Nah, you either got your numbers transposed or scored some primo dude smoke.gif

I know it's not seven feet long!

IIRC (I made a jig so I wouldn't have to remember), it's something like 34 1/4" center to center of the cross hole, and set screw hole.
Root_Werks
QUOTE(9146986 @ Nov 11 2004, 01:56 PM)
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Nov 11 2004, 12:45 PM)
Well, when I straighten bars, I cut out 73 1/4" so add another 6" to each side for good messure and I would say the bar is no longer than 86"?   idea.gif

Nah, you either got your numbers transposed or scored some primo dude smoke.gif

I know it's not seven feet long!

IIRC (I made a jig so I wouldn't have to remember), it's something like 34 1/4" center to center of the cross hole, and set screw hole.

ohmy.gif

OOps! Dang, that would be one long shift bar! laugh.gif Yeah, I think I cut 34 1/4" section out? Dang, now I can't remember? I was too busy playing with beer girl(see other forum). drooley.gif
IronHillRestorations
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Nov 11 2004, 01:47 PM)
Not to Keep the Corvair thing going but, they did produce them from 1960 to 1969 with a
huge suspension improvemenet in 1965.
When I was 16 i had an air cooled and turbocharged first car with a tach ,cyl. head temp gage, and a boost gage ,and a horizental cooling fan.
3rd place in year end points for autocross that year too.
Oh ya cost me 300 bucks. Jeff

Obviously I've forgotten how long Chevy did make them... oops wacko.gif

One of my sister's boyfriends had one with daisy stickers all over it.
Brad Smith
QUOTE(9146986 @ Nov 11 2004, 12:28 PM)

True... but a reverse grind cam costs the same as a "regular" performance cam. No big deal there.
sixnotfour
Dont forget the valve seats fall out on a regular basis, I lost more valve seats than fan belts.
I even had one with weber 40IDA triples.angle exhaust ports custom headers
Porsche 6 or chev v-8 dont waist your time on the corvair engine.
I know your a 914 owner but you cant be that desperate. (its a joke)
Trekkor
Update time.

Motor is in time and carbs are synced.
Super smooth idle.
There is still a little snapping and popping around 2500-3200 if I slowly raise the rpms.

If I rev it fast it romps up to 6000+ right now. Yowza! boldblue.gif
My remote tach only reads to 6k wink.gif

When it comes off high rpm it sits at 2k for a moment and then settles back to 1k idle. confused24.gif

I picked up a 9x12 yard canopy so I can work on the install in the next week or so regardless of the weather.
$18 at a garage sale.

Threaded in new studs for the engine mount, also.

I should have my oil tank and lines, throttle linkage and engine tin by the end of this month.

Wife says go for it, *but* only after the house projects are done. idea.gif
Trekkor
a little something for the folks...
McMark
Let me know when you need/want my help. I'm ready for some fun. monkeydance.gif
Root_Werks
Cool beans Trekkor! I can't wait to see some of the "Pull" pics and "install" pics! Great job! boldblue.gif smilie_pokal.gif
VintageExcellence
I must say: 4cyl engines = bla bla yuck yuck whether it is a build 2.0 or a big 4 (even those rabbi engines bla bla, I'm better than all of you with my perfect big 4s that cost more than 911 engines), V8s ehhh they are ok but never have the resale and they don't sound German (ya big deal but it means something to many of us) you also loose the trunk,

Ahh the Porsche 6 cyl... YES! costs money to do but it is well worth the trouble. I go to Porsche shows and hang out with the other 914-6 guys, its like being part of a special group. I can relate to 914 guys with 4cyl engines very well. A 914 with 200hp is a completly different car. So much fun and so worth it.

For a street car I like 3.0 and larger engines, less revs but much more torque, I can use 3rd gear for everything if I wanted. I was so pleased with my 3.0 Weber engine that I pulled it and bought a Euro 3.2 and I'm going to use the Motronic. So its FI time for me. More work but 250hp sounds very nice. Now that I have so much power I am fixing all the other stuff on the car to effectivley drive this car. I am tweaking the suspension heavily, doing Boxster brakes all the way around, seats with bolsters to hold me in one place, regeared transmission, and I am going to build a huge ralley bar for spotlights and such for fast night driving.

Its worth the trouble, hands down. Of course I built my whole car for very little, but then I am a Porsche mechanic and a parts vendor so I come across deals here and there. rocking nana.gif
Trekkor
Parts, parts...Whose gots da parts?

Parts, parts...I gots da parts! ( sung to your favorite music )rock_band.gif

I'll post the pics later. I drove like 300 miles and made several stops. Left at 11:00 a.m. yesterday and got back at 1:00 a.m. today unsure.gif

Bay area traffic is RUDE.

I now have ALL the main components for the conversion.
Only spent $3400 including the engine thus far...

Let's celebrate mueba.gif

KT
Root_Werks
Your bell crank kit (missing the ball cups) is in the mail. boldblue.gif
Trekkor
oil tank
Trekkor
t-stat and cooler
Trekkor
rebuilt alt. and guages
Trekkor
I'm hijacking my own thread unsure.gif

Gots me a set a dees, too. w00t.gif

KT
nine14cats
Trekkor,

Can't wait till you join us on the dark side.......6 cylinder power! smilie_pokal.gif

Muuuuhuuuuhaaaahaaaahaaaa! laugh.gif

You watching this, Randal?

Go six Bud!

Bill P.
Trekkor
Also, i saw Theo's 914-6 2.2 conversion last night.
Nice, nice, nice!

His side shift rod is unmodified with no interference, as he told me...I saw it. wink.gif

No mod needed!

Has Patrick moly bar mount and headers.

KT
Trekkor
Thanks, Bill for the support.

GO 3.6, GO!

KT
brant
QUOTE(trekkor @ Dec 2 2004, 04:17 PM)
Also, i saw Theo's 914-6 2.2 conversion last night.
Nice, nice, nice!

His side shift rod is unmodified with no interference, as he told me...I saw it. wink.gif

No mod needed!

Has Patrick moly bar mount and headers.

KT

Trekkor,

if you get the patrick bulkhead mount low enough you don't have to modify the rod...

still its better that you do modify the rod.. straighter the bettter..

I put my patrick mount as low as possible and could get a straight bar in there.. (I did put a 1 degree bend on the rear 6inches of bar, just to smooth up the motion)

brant
Randal
You watching this, Randal?

But of course, but hopefully not from behind all you mucho guys (and girls) with those 6 cylinders motors!

All I want for Christmas is a Raby 2.7, a 2.7, a 2.7.....

Keep good thoughts for me!
nine14cats
Hi Randal!

I hope Santa is okay giving you that Raby 2.7......which way is SHE leaning?

laugh.gif

I just had to...... smile.gif

Bill P.

P.S. I think it would be cool if you could do a big type IV. It would be fun to have the small 6 (Trekkor), the big 4 (Randal), and the big 6 (Bill P.) going head to head in Auto-x and Time Trials...
Randal
I hope Santa is okay giving you that Raby 2.7......which way is SHE leaning?

You're a perceptive guy Bill, you must be in sales!

It would be a blast to get a few more folks up there competing for the top 3 or 4 spots in AutoX.

Now time trailing is a totally different game. Although a big Raby in a car that tipped the scales around 1850 would go like stink, especially with 12" slicks.
theol00
HI Trekkor - it was great to finally meeting you - can't wait to see you up at sears the next time - good luck with the car ! smilie_pokal.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(nine14cats @ Dec 2 2004, 04:16 PM)
I think it would be cool if you could do a big type IV. It would be fun to have the small 6 (Trekkor), the big 4 (Randal), and the big 6 (Bill P.) going head to head in Auto-x and Time Trials...

aren't you forgetting someone ?

idea.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.