Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shall I say...SIX?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
SirAndy
QUOTE (914RS @ Jan 9 2005, 11:06 PM)
$15k for a late 3.6+915? Are you kidding?

nope, that's about the going rate around here.

biggest factor is how cheap you can get the 3.6 for ...
IPB Image Andy
SirAndy
QUOTE (trekkor @ Jan 9 2005, 11:29 PM)
Oil lines made, oil tank in, bell crank throttle linkage in.

dude, you'll need some engine-tin!

looks great man, can wait to beat you at the next AX ...
IPB Image Andy
nebreitling
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Jan 9 2005, 11:51 PM)
looks great man, can wait to beat you at the next AX ...

hey, get in line andy! IPB Image
Trekkor
engine-tin

I have it...

looks great man

Thanks, I'm having a blast! IPB Image

can wait to beat you at the next AX ...

IPB Image

hey, get in line andy!

IPB Image

Here's an engine shot.
I'll do a daylight pic tomorrow.

KT
neo914-6
Trekkor,
Great job!, can you itemize how much did you spent on this conversion?
Felix
Trekkor
Sure.

Motor $1500
Oil tank, cooler, thermostat $800
Headers, muffler $400
Motor Mount bar $200
Shift rod mod, engine tin, bell crank $Free
Cooler mod $100
AN Oil lines and hose end fittings $400
Fuel pump $100
Fuel pressure regulator $50
Alternator, guages, motor mounts, hardware, misc bits $400

$3950.

Shop for deals! Used, uneeded items, DIY, etc.

My goal of a $4k conversion is possible.

KT
Joe Bob
Did you ever get a six cylinder tach? I have an extra one....btw...
Root_Werks
I love it when a six comes together. IPB Image
Trekkor
six cylinder tach

Thanks Mike, I do have one. IPB Image

KT
Joe Bob
OK...raining like a MOFO nad I was bored....went thur my parts drawer....it's amazing what you find when YOU ARE NOT looking for it....still can't find my box of studs....but I found two tachs, a bunch of conversion fittings and a pic of the old girlfriend from 20 years ago.....geeez, WHAT was I thinking.....? IPB Image

BTW....Kerry914....you can have it...for a trade or something....
Kerrys914
Cool IPB Image

What are these oil fittings you have?

Also, I like you other avatars better IPB Image then this one IPB Image IPB Image
MXMARK
Great job Trekkor, I already have the 6 so maybe mine will get to go in soon. Thanks Mark
pete-stevers
Fantastic job getting this car togather!!!
If it wasn't for threads like and the club i'd be hesitant to attempt my project...
Thanks and hats off to you! IPB Image IPB Image
Cheers IPB Image
steve
Trekkor
Here we go... IPB Image

Today should be THE BIG DAY. I need about four more hours and I'm driving down the road.

I'm off work for the day already.

Engine tin, battery, electrical, and connect fuel line to pump.

I need to go round up a few things after lunch. Let's do this! IPB Image

KT
Root_Werks
QUOTE (trekkor @ Jan 13 2005, 11:43 AM)
Here we go... IPB Image

Today should be THE BIG DAY. I need about four more hours and I'm driving down the road.

I'm off work for the day already.

Engine tin, battery, electrical, and connect fuel line to pump.

I need to go round up a few things after lunch. Let's do this! IPB Image

KT

IPB Image IPB Image Man, I wish I could be there for the intial fire up and drive! IPB Image IPB Image
Trekkor
I'm slow... IPB Image

I'm going to the hardware store for some electrical connectors and wire.

I will start it tonight. IPB Image

KT
Trekkor
Ran it! IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image

Tomorrow morning I'll put it back on the ground and drive it.

It was around 9:00 when I started it up and around 35 degrees...brrr.

I set the fuel preesure regulator while running to 3.5 PSI.
Takes a while to get an idle when it's this cold out. IPB Image

The header paint is stinky and smokey.

KT
John
Trekkor,

Whose tank is that (a Vellios?) I thought they were different than that. Maybe they changed the style?

How much was the tank? and is there a drain or is it like original and have to disconnect a line?
Trekkor
Yes, Vellios.

Got it used.
Don't know the new price with all the parts. Filler neck, cap, dipstick, filter console and fittings.

No drain. You have to pull a line.
Root_Werks
I knew a guy who just soldered up some pipe with a drain plug to the oil cooler for a 914-6. very slick, I never thought about soldering, but he said it was good to like 600-700 degrees, so I am thinking I might just try that one myself. He spent like $10 on pipe fittings from a hardware store. That sort of price is right up my alley! IPB Image

I wanna see pictures Trekkor! IPB Image
Trekkor
Took it for a drive this morning before work...

Whoa, It's a totally different beast. IPB Image

It through me right back into my seat and the acceleration is amazing. And the sound... IPB Image

I still need to install the engine tin and make some minor adustments to the clutch and carb linkage.

Overall a nice morning...And sunny, too.

I'll get back at it after 3:00.
May need to raise the rear end a touch or put in the 200# coil springs.

I don't want to go back to work right now.
The job is less than five minutes from home. I forgot something and *had* to post. ( I keep hearing that SIX chant )... IPB Image

Have a 914 day. IPB Image

KT
Trekkor
Here ya go , Dan!

I'm gone.

KT
Root_Werks
Right on! Isn't that sound just pure music! Who needs a radio with a six just behind you! IPB Image

Good job! I drove my 914 into work yesterday. Man! I love that car. IPB Image
sixnotfour
Are you sre you should run those air cleaners with all that Rain you guys are getting ? hydro lock,
Just kidding I live in Rain, WASHington and have that style.

Looks awesome , now youre ready for some great SIX IPB Image
IronHillRestorations
QUOTE (trekkor @ Jan 14 2005, 10:28 AM)

Whoa, It's a totally different beast.

It through me right back into my seat and the acceleration is amazing. And the sound...

( I keep hearing that SIX chant )

Are you sure you did the right thing???

Don't you think you would've been just as happy with a big four??????

Us sixerheads are full of it right??????? IPB Image

Congrats Trekkor, and you thought you loved your car before......
GTeener
QUOTE (trekkor @ Jan 14 2005, 10:28 AM)

Whoa, It's a totally different beast. IPB Image

It through me right back into my seat and the acceleration is amazing. And the sound... IPB Image

Have a 914 day. IPB Image

KT

IPB Image Congrats!

Welcome to the club! IPB Image
Trekkor
No regrets. IPB Image I like this "new" club. IPB Image

Had a blast driving this afternoon after work.
It's wild getting used to all the new shift points with the new RPM band.

Adusted the clutch a little. The carbs still need some tweaking.

KT
Rusty

Whoa, It's a totally different beast.  

It through me right back into my seat and the acceleration is amazing. And the sound...  

I still need to install the engine tin and make some minor adustments to the clutch and carb linkage.

Told Ya!

This is Gint BTW, not Rusty. All of the carb party members here at Rusty's say Congrats!
Trekkor
OK...I'm insane now. IPB Image

Revving to 7300 RPM's in a 914 with SIX barrels of power on my neck is rather nice. IPB Image

The dwell angle was off by 17 degrees and acted as a rev limiter, keeping me at 5300 rpm's ( which was fun BTW ) IPB Image

Hmmmm....Whose next? IPB Image

KT
nine14cats
Trekkor...Isn't that a kick having that 6 with Webers behind you just revving up a storm? I just love the sound of that! What kind of rev limiter are you running on the motor?

The reason I ask is that you will need something. The motor will just continue to rev to the moon and during auto-xing you will find yourself spinning that thing waaayyyy up!

You need some protection from yourself....I should know.... IPB Image

Bill P.
Maltese Falcon
Trekkor, you can always retard your ign. timing way back and always keep your headers RED ! IPB Image
Don't Do It...
Trekkor
rev limiter

7300 RPM Rev limiting rotor came with the motor.
I'd like to upgrade to electronic ignition, MSD?

Anyone know where I can find a Pertronix module for an old scuzzy little six?... IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image

KT
Maltese Falcon
www.pertronix.com (aka Patriot Exhausts--acquired from Thunderbird Exhaust), They're down here in SoCal, email them for a dearler near you --or give them a re-sale # and they will sell to you @ dealer $. MSD Ignition won't sell to you...you'll need to buy from Jeg's or a local speed shop. MSD also offers a good selection of "Soft touch" rev limiters. Also , your ign. rotor should have a rev limiter (yr.?) in it , my old 2.7 did.
Randal
Some tell about a very fast 914-6 tearing up a (beautiful) hill climb road in Napa this evening with a couple of 914 club guys on board.

Yes, Trekkor's car is working, so well in fact that I am having to re-think about a big 4, given the performance of his 6. This 2.0 liter goes like stink.

Trekkor's installation work is first class and the proud owner is probably still smiling, as we was when I left him. But, so is the passenger.

Great job Trekkor! You've got a great car.
J P Stein
QUOTE (Randal @ Jan 16 2005, 08:02 PM)

Yes, Trekkor's car is working, so well in fact that I am having to re-think about a big 4, given the performance of his 6. This 2.0 liter goes like stink.

IPB Image IPB Image
Sing along now.....
Anything a 4 can do, a six can do better.
Trekkor
That was fun, Randal.
You showed up just in time, right after I put the final touches on the carbs.

JP, I love that song IPB Image
Come race with us.

KT
Trekkor
O.K.- fours months later dry.gif

Pertronix and MSD ignition have been added, so it's easy starting and reliable.

Only had one oil leak.

I've got seven a/x's and a track day (WCC) on it as well.
This car is really great and I love the sound.

Revving on grid and just before the green flag drops is a good way to get all stoked up.

I HIGHLY recommend doing a SIX conversion to anyone who wants more power and performance out of their 914.

thanks to all who have helped me do this. smilie_pokal.gif

KT
grantsfo
QUOTE (trekkor @ May 27 2005, 07:31 PM)
O.K.- fours months later dry.gif

Pertronix and MSD ignition have been added, so it's easy starting and reliable.

Only had one oil leak.

I've got seven a/x's and a track day (WCC) on it as well.
This car is really great and I love the sound.

Revving on grid and just before the green flag drops is a good way to get all stoked up.

I HIGHLY recommend doing a SIX conversion to anyone who wants more power and performance out of their 914.

thanks to all who have helped me do this. smilie_pokal.gif

KT

Trekkor, I'm thinking of starting a thread, "how to build a race car around a stock 1.8" It was fun going through this thread again! biggrin.gif

Oh yeah and thanks for proving a sub $6K conversion is possible if you want to work hard and shop around for deals.
Joe Bob
Now that Manfred has been dialed in....it's time to do a head to head Trekkor....we both have 2.0/6s and I wanna see what my ride does against yours....where do ya wanna meet? Loser buys lunch.
Trekkor
Mike, If you come up to Marina ( Monterey ) for an a/x, I'll buy you lunch regardless. wink.gif

Glad to hear you plan on keeping Manfred for a while at least.

a sub $6K conversion is possible

Grant, you can do this for $4500 if you don't do all the hopped up extras unrelated to the actual conversion.

KT
thomasotten
Early on is this thread, when Trekkor was undecided about the "small" six, there were several who told him to go ahead and buy the engine, do the conversion, and then upgrade to a larger engine in the future. Is that really feasible? For instance, don't you have to size your headers based on your engine size? Replacing headers can be expensive, especially if you opted for heat exchangers.
TravisNeff
If you opted for OE heat exchangers you only get one size. As for the aftermarket ones I dunno if they offer different sizes. For headers I think that after 3.2 in size that is when you step up in size, bigger will give you top end power, smaller will give you more low end torque.

Anyway, Trekkor's car is a fun ride. The sound of a short stroke six is awesome.
Trekkor
It's coming up on one year since the first drive.

Great year clap.gif

15 a/x's and 7 track days on the conversion with no signs of trouble.

I added the front mounted oil cooler and thermostat for improved cooling on the track.
cooler thread

It always starts, no breakdowns and really fun.
I hope this can be of help to any considering the SIX path.

See you on the track wink.gif

KT
J P Stein
Good for you, Trekkor.

Since building my 2.7L (in 2000) I haven't had a single mechanical problem. In that time, I've missed 2 AXs due to electrical difficulties (owner stupidy biggrin.gif ). I have had to swap out a few fouled plugs in the lanes, tho. There's prolly around 800 AX passes there.

The 911 engine is about bullet proof with a bit of care. It smokes at startup more than when new....the pistons rattle
a bit longer. One more season & I'll tear it down (I said that last year biggrin.gif ).
autohausdolby
I just read this entire thread - coool! I love it when it all goes well, especially when people have been going "no, it won't work" or whatever biggrin.gif
Trekkor
Thanks.

All is still well, BTW. boldblue.gif

KT
Sammy
IMHO, I'd rather have a crappy running small six than a perfectly tuned big four any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Get her up and running, you will never look back.
EDIT: oops, just looked at the dates and realized this was on old thread. Never mind.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.