Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shall I say...SIX?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
J P Stein
By all means, take it off. Otto's did my cooler conversion.
If you have AN lines, have an AN fitting welded on...

BTW, you have to install & tighten that oil line to the tank before you install the tank......unless you have a some kinda magic wrench.....gud luck.
Trekkor
heli-coiled and installed the studs into the back of the motor.
Maltese Falcon
I found out the hard way on my first 6 conversion ('78)--while the engine was goin in IPB Image . I found an aluminum welding shop open on a Sat and he put a 90 deg AN#16 on the cooler . I also went over to Earl's in Hawthorne --yes they used to have a store--and got a #16 tee fitting/ cap and used this for a drain point just after the lower fitting coming off of the oil tank. I can now get lots of oil drained out during maintennance IPB Image
McMark
Trekkor, TEM machine shop can weld aluminum if you need. IPB Image
Trekkor
Tomorrow it'll get done.
Just need to decide if I keep the Porsche fitting or just go AN.

KT
J P Stein
What/which oil tank do you have?
Trekkor
this one
J P Stein
Vellious?
Go with AN.....16 or 20 on the supply side.
Don't dick around with that cooler. Take it to someone that KNOWS what they are doing.
J P Stein
Pics......feed line ....to below cooler
J P Stein
More.......Scavenge line to tank.
J P Stein
Same line from underside
J P Stein
Scavenge line routing from case.....goes aft, then fwd......there's too much "stuff" in the way to just go fwd initally....for me, at least.
Trekkor
That is great! This helps me get a better grasp on what is happening down there.

I'll follow up with my set-up shortly.

KT
Trekkor
Cooler mod is done.
Joe Bob
Hmmmmm, you sure that's gonna clear the swing arm?
Trekkor
'gain. Still have to put it on the motor.

The motor and trans combo is assembled and staged right behind the car.

Tonight, there may be a party. IPB Image

KT
Trekkor
Mike, I'm good... IPB Image

Brant and JP's pics a page back showed me the way.

Got fresh -16, -12 lines, various fittings and firesleeve for the sections near the headers. IPB Image

Found a -12 fitting to come out of the side of the case out at Sears , as well.

KT
Kerrys914
Details on the mod..Did you go it or have a local welder do it? WHhat type of fitting did you use? Looks like a 90deg AN-16 x ?

Cheers and nice work IPB Image
Trekkor
Local welder-$100. IPB Image

He blasted off the anodized coating off the -16 AN 90 and slipped it over the supply tube. He had to bore out the inside diameter of the 90, slightly, to fit it.

He welded on a support gusset as well. I'm happy. IPB Image

KT

( Motor should be installed by 9:00pm... IPB Image )
nebreitling
QUOTE (trekkor @ Jan 5 2005, 07:20 PM)
( Motor should be installed by 9:00pm... IPB Image )

what the heck are you doing posting?! get out there and finish! i'm on the edge of my seat here!
Trekkor
Hey...I've got a SIX!!!

It has finally happened.

It was in at 9:03.

Followed by a lot of IPB Image

McMark is the man! IPB Image

We had it from furniture dolly to installed in 1 hour.
BTW, take off your Webers before install, the axles won't clear.

KT
Trekkor
IPB Image
Trekkor
IPB Image
Trekkor
IPB Image

To all who have helped me get this done.
Thank you very much.

Fact: my shift rod will need a mod. IPB Image

Fact: my oil cooler mod is perfect. No issues.

I'm pumped IPB Image rocking nana.gif

KT
McMark
YAY! IPB Image I can't wait for a drive. IPB Image
nebreitling
trekkor, congratulations. i'm literally cracking open a beer right now in your honor.*

i want to see video footage of your inaugural drive!!

here's to you! IPB Image

*(what the hell. it's only 12.45am and i've only got another 4 hours of work to do before teaching a 9am class. for f--k's sake.)
gaz914
Well done trekkor IPB Image
sixnotfour
6 not 4 IPB Image
nice cooler, great progress
Root_Werks
Sweet! Nice clean cooler mod. I have to pull my engine to replace the chain rails. When I do, I plan on re-doing my cooler mod as well. Looks great! Thanks for the pictures! IPB Image
Randal
Congratulation Trekkor

Great Work

Can't wait to see it run at Alameda where you can use all that power!!
scrz914
FAARDUP!! IPB Image
Gint
Nice goin trekkor!
Series9
Chant: SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX SIX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image rocking nana.gif
Trekkor
Thanks for the compliments!!

Without this club, none of this would have ever happened. IPB Image

More progress!

Oil return tubes are on. ( horrible project, took two hours. Better than a tear down. )
Headers, axles.

You can look for yourself...

KT
Trekkor
looky looky IPB Image
Trekkor
Replacement oil tubes.
Trekkor
Progress report IPB Image

Carbs, clutch cable, speedo cable, shift rod mod IPB Image all on.

Taking a break right now. IPB Image

If I go back out tonight, will report back with some pics...

KT
McMark
Show us the shifter mod. IPB Image
Aaron Cox
how long till the paint on the header burns off IPB Image
Gint
When's it gonna run?
Trekkor
Here's the shift rod mod.

I took a different approach to what's been done here by some.
I just rotated the rod without the set screws and noted the amount of rotation to clear the header.

I cut the rod ends with a sawsall and ground the ends clean.
Tacked the rod together and tested it.

Made slight adjustments and welded it up, grind, clean and paint. Got about an hour into it.

It hangs down as far as the headers, so I'm not worried about clearance issues.

Should run the motor tomorrow or monday.
First drive may have to wait 'til weds. IPB Image

High temp paint will last as long as it lasts. IPB Image

KT
Trekkor
from other side

Forgot to tell you. This mod method requires no measuring or new rod stock. You only lose the width of two saw blades. IPB Image

KT
Aaron Cox
thats a fatty ass bend! IPB Image IPB Image
Trekkor
The bend you saw on the shift rod is the stock unmodified bend. The rod is just rotated approx 60 degrees counter-clockwise. IPB Image

Trek
Maltese Falcon
Hey Trekkor...nice progress on the SIX IPB Image ! I can't tell if you're running the support bracket off of the trans to the L and R side header collectors (?) Make sure you fab yours up to fit...as it will eliminate stress loads on the LONG headers.
Some lucky 914World.commer will take a set of these MSDS headers home at the WCC'05 Raffle this April IPB Image
Now let's hear that six rip...
Marty MSDSinc.
neo914-6
Some lucky 914World.commer will take a set of these MSDS headers home at the WCC'05 Raffle this April  

Marty,
Makes me want to go P-six in my Neo914. I just afford the $15k+ for late 3.6 and modded 915. IPB Image although it's already set up for oil tank, cooler...
brp914
The pic of the oil tank seems to indicate the qtr panel is off the car. If so, why?
J P Stein
QUOTE (brp914 @ Jan 9 2005, 10:44 PM)
The pic of the oil tank seems to indicate the qtr panel is off the car.  If so, why?

Ain't his car. I cut off the quarter panel on mine so's I could take a pic for him IPB Image
Series9
QUOTE (Neo914 @ Jan 9 2005, 11:19 PM)
Makes me want to go P-six in my Neo914. I just afford the $15k+ for late 3.6 and modded 915.

$15k for a late 3.6+915? Are you kidding? If I could have done it for $15k, I would have saved $5k.
Trekkor
More progress tonight...

Oil lines made, oil tank in, bell crank throttle linkage in.

Setting up the fuel system.

McMark came up with some great ideas to sort out the electricals using the FOUR's relay board and harness. IPB Image

Marty, thanks for the headers, the muffler hanger is on!
( prior pics didn't have it, good eye. ) IPB Image

Goal is to run it tomorrow night.

KT
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.