Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Zach's Carbs to Microsquirt conversion thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
saigon71
Zach:

I followed advice from Mr. Foley and left my lines long so I had room to work under there with the tank up.

While I ended up with a kink in one of the lines, it was pretty easy to work it out with the extra length of hose under the tank.

I would leave it the way you have it.

Bob
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Apr 10 2014, 08:16 AM) *

I don't know but your custom rear 914 badge is awesome.

McMark made them a while back. I got a bunch of them to give out at East Coast events. I have a few more, come to Hershey and I'd be happy to let you pick one. Don't know colors I have left off hand.

Zach
ChrisFoley
I haven't found time to work on it yet, but one of my thoughts was to find a coil spring to slide over the hose to see if that will help keep a kink from forming.
JFJ914
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Apr 10 2014, 11:52 AM) *

I haven't found time to work on it yet, but one of my thoughts was to find a coil spring to slide over the hose to see if that will help keep a kink from forming.

NAPA has a device to keep hoses from kinking. I saw it on the counter awhile ago. Sorry no other info.
VaccaRabite
So I stopped at best buy and bought the cheapest laptop I could buy.
My old machine is just too damn old and the battery only lasts a few moments. So time to see what a new $250 laptop can do. If I can use it for tuning and web browsing it will be worth it. Tuning may start as early as tomorrow, but likely next week.

Still a very slim chance the heap will make Hershey.

Zach

r_towle
What do you get for 250 this month?
VaccaRabite
Not a hell of a lot, and windows 8. Which I am learning I do not like very much.
But the machine works with Tuner Studio and I can search the web on it. So it does everything I bought it to do.

The sticker on it says a 500GB drive, 4GB ram, 15 inch monitor, Celeron processor.

Zach
r_towle
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Apr 10 2014, 09:36 PM) *

Not a hell of a lot, and windows 8. Which I am learning I do not like very much.
But the machine works with Tuner Studio and I can search the web on it. So it does everything I bought it to do.

The sticker on it says a 500GB drive, 4GB ram, 15 inch monitor, Celeron processor.

Zach

They all come with too little ram....geez.

Windows 8 is a simple click to the classic window....
Check it out, the OS uses 4 gigs to function.....
Chris H.
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Apr 10 2014, 10:43 AM) *

QUOTE(Chris H. @ Apr 10 2014, 08:16 AM) *

I don't know but your custom rear 914 badge is awesome.

McMark made them a while back. I got a bunch of them to give out at East Coast events. I have a few more, come to Hershey and I'd be happy to let you pick one. Don't know colors I have left off hand.

Zach

Thanks man beerchug.gif . Very kind of you to offer. Wish I could be there. I'll catch up with ya next year...hope to drive my conversion-mobile.
VaccaRabite
Click to view attachment
How does this get plumbed in?
How do the fuel rails get plumbed in as well?

Zach
McMark
Tank - Pump - Pass Side Fuel Rail - Driver Side Fuel Rail - Regulator - Tank

In your picture, the fuel regulator outlet is on the left.
VaccaRabite
So fuel flows in from the side of the regulator and out through the bottom?

Or other way around?

Zach

McMark
Ignore the right side.

IPB Image
McMark
Also, this:

IPB Image
VaccaRabite
Car is back on all 4 tires at least for the moment.
Injectors are in. The engine has oil I. It and nothing is (yet) leaking. Shifter is installed but not adjusted from the cockpit. Trying to find the rennshift install instructions.

Tonight I'll get the engine side fuel lines plumbed in, and hopefully finish adjusting the shifter.
If I get that done, I'll get the air cleaner housing in and start chasing wires and cleaning things up.
Last thing this evening will be raising the front end so I can check and unkink the fuel lines under the tank. Getting really close to first start! Click to view attachment
crash914
Nice, then you can come help me this weekend....I want mine running too...
VaccaRabite
Done for the evening.
Got the engine side fuel lines plumbed in.
Shifter in and adjusted.
1.8 Air Box in. That was kind of a bitch.
Got the car moved back and the front end up in the air. Tomorrow's task will be checking the fuel lines under the tank for kinks.
Cleaned up the shop a little and have stuff set up for tomorrow night.

Zach
ablesnead
planning on purchasing a Rennshift don't have access to an engine hoist...will I be able to install it without one
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(ablesnead @ Apr 12 2014, 09:24 PM) *

planning on purchasing a Rennshift don't have access to an engine hoist...will I be able to install it without one

LOL you will be fine!
The hoist was there just to get it out of the way, and to provide a big physical barrier to try and save my 914 from door dings as it shares a bay with my wife's car (and the 6 year old and 2 year old that often ride in it.)

Zach
VaccaRabite
A good day. I got to do my first muzzle loading competition AND work on my car!

I took the cover off the steering rack and looked into the inspection hole. Also felt around. No kinks that I could find. Left the cover off in case I was wrong, but put the car back on the ground. Felt around the portal where the fuel pump is (pump is in the front trunk for 75+cars) and no kinks there either. Screwed that shut.

With the car back on the ground, closed the hood, and smiled. This week has been like it used to be when I worked for the university. Motivation and TIME that I can work on the car. Climbed behind the wheel and played with the shifter a little. It may need a little more adjustment towards R and 1st, but all the others go in REALLY smooth. I was tempted to put the battery in, and turn the key just to see the dash light up after so many years idle. But then I heard my wife scolding the toddler from the house, and I knew my car time was over.

Still, a damn good day. I love the spring. I'm glad spring finally decided to show up! :-)

Zach
congrats...great info / education
VaccaRabite
Today I got a little done but not much.

Got the vacuum line hooked up in the engine bay.
Got the MAP sensor in place and the vacuum line it needed run.
I THINK I have all the vacuum hose barbs closed.

Tomorrow I took off for my last ditch attempt to get the car to Hershey.
There are a few electrical connections that still need to be figured out in the engine bay.
Also need to get the expansion tank back on and get gas in the tank.
Then its vroom vroom.... (I hope).

Zach
VaccaRabite
Dammit!
I'm having grounding issues. Cyl 1&2 injectors will not ground through the injector studs. And of course I have to pull a bunch of crap to get to them to investigate.

Everything else is grounding properly. I'm not sure what insulating those studs.
Zach
tdgray
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Apr 18 2014, 11:13 AM) *

Dammit!
I'm having grounding issues. Cyl 1&2 injectors will not ground through the injector studs. And of course I have to pull a bunch of crap to get to them to investigate.

Everything else is grounding properly. I'm not sure what insulating those studs.
Zach

Aren't you supposed to be going somewhere? rolleyes.gif
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(tdgray @ Apr 18 2014, 11:33 AM) *

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Apr 18 2014, 11:13 AM) *

Dammit!

Zach

Aren't you supposed to be going somewhere? rolleyes.gif

I was hoping to be going in my 914.
Events, as usual, have conspired against me actually getting time to work on the damn thing.
No one is going to be up in my neck of the woods til this evening. No reason to head up yet. Besides there is a big local car show near me this afternoon and it looks like I'll be able to go to both.

Zach
saigon71
Sorry to hear the teener won't make it Zach. On the bright side, I see a lot of alcohol in your near future. beer.gif
VaccaRabite
Well yes. Indeed.
jsayre914
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Apr 18 2014, 10:43 PM) *

Well yes. Indeed.

Bummer

sad.gif
VaccaRabite
Today I buttoned back up the expansion tank on the gas tank.

I also called and made an appointment to bring the car to Translog and let Tony finish it up. I hated doing it, but I want to actually drive the damn thing. I'll work on it this weekend and bring it to him for the final check, start and tuning.

Not having the car at Hershey really pissed me off this year.
Zach
Dr Evil
Ya, then you could have driven yourself home tongue.gif
scotty b
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Apr 22 2014, 04:46 PM) *

Ya, then you could have driven yourself home tongue.gif

Moneypit
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Apr 11 2014, 04:28 PM) *

Car is back on all 4 tires at least for the moment.
Injectors are in. The engine has oil I. It and nothing is (yet) leaking. Shifter is installed but not adjusted from the cockpit. Trying to find the rennshift install instructions.

Tonight I'll get the engine side fuel lines plumbed in, and hopefully finish adjusting the shifter.
If I get that done, I'll get the air cleaner housing in and start chasing wires and cleaning things up.
Last thing this evening will be raising the front end so I can check and unkink the fuel lines under the tank. Getting really close to first start! Click to view attachment

TROGDOORRRR!!!!!!! aktion035.gif
VaccaRabite
Car is now at Translog for finishing. Dragged it there this afternoon and spoke to Tony for a bit. No idea when it will be up and running again, but its going to be sooner then if I was doing it on my own. I can only work weekends, and all my weekends are booked solid through mid June now. Tony got all my notes and I took some time to walk him through the engine bay, and trying to explain how it is all supposed to go together.

This is the really busy season for him, so I don't expect my car to be first. But I do hope o have it back by Matt's annual party in August. :-)

I hate that I had to admit defeat and hand the car off to get finished. But not having the car done by Hershey hurt, and I know this way it will be done right when it is done.

Zach
mepstein
It's not defeat, it's bring in reinforcements - and soon you'll be driving. piratenanner.gif driving.gif beerchug.gif
VaccaRabite
Stopped by Translog today to drop off some stuff. Look what was in the bay:
Click to view attachment
No way I thought they would have time already. Super excited.
It's close!

Zach
Dr Evil
"We have a turd in the punch bowl. Repeat, we have a turd in the punch bowl. Proceed with caution."
bulitt
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ May 15 2014, 06:02 PM) *

"We have a turd in the punch bowl. Repeat, we have a turd in the punch bowl. Proceed with caution."

Turd Expert... lol-2.gif
crash914
Looking good! It won't take long..you will be driving soon...

Mine is running!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kL12MIKktUg

saigon71
Excellent! When you get it back, let's gather the locals for a drive. driving.gif
Moneypit
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ May 15 2014, 04:55 PM) *

Stopped by Translog today to drop off some stuff. Look what was in the bay:
Click to view attachment
No way I thought they would have time already. Super excited.
It's close!

Zach

If it has a Trogdor sticker, it must be fast! It might also occasionally burn thatched-roof cottages, so you might want to consider that with your insurance...
VaccaRabite
I stopped by Translog today with my laptop.
The ECU stopped communicating with Tony's PC, so I showed up with mine to see if I could eliminate the ECU as the issue. No love. I think that the ECU is corrupted and needs to be reflashed.

But while I was there I noticed my 914 was one of many in the shop.
IPB Image
IPB Image

Zach
McMark
USB to serial adapters suck. I would invest in a $200 laptop that has a built in serial port.

And/or send me the ECU so I can test it in my car.
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(McMark @ Nov 11 2014, 06:34 PM) *

USB to serial adapters suck. I would invest in a $200 laptop that has a built in serial port.

And/or send me the ECU so I can test it in my car.

Lol. That IS a $200 laptop. Maybe a $300 laptop. It was the cheapest I could get at BestBuy last year. Nothing they had still had a serial port.

The USB connector I got is the one they sold from DIYAutotune, that they claimed was the best on the market at the time for tuning their systems.

I sent Tony links for the Microsquirt manual for the vII system. I think the current system is the vIII.

Zach
McMark
I use a Dell D630 which has a built in serial port. They're going for about $100 on Amazon.

The plastic body ECU is vIII.
aircooledtechguy
QUOTE(McMark @ Nov 11 2014, 04:30 PM) *

I use a Dell D630 which has a built in serial port. They're going for about $100 on Amazon.

The plastic body ECU is vIII.

Or,. . .

Upgrade to MS3X and use a regular USB/USB cable. . . biggrin.gif driving.gif
scotty b
hide.gif
crash914
You can always swing by and we can test it with my stuff....I have both, bluetooth and usb serial cables....I also have a stim...
McMark
Does the fuel pump turn on with the key?
mr2by4
Mark,
How much does this sort of deluxe, COP, prewired EFI system cost?
VaccaRabite
I did not hear the fuel pump turn on. But I was not listening for it either. I was only there for a few minutes. Long enough to plug in my laptop to see if there was communication.
If I can get time, I'll go back and run more tests, but I'm not sure tony would want me working on my car at his garage.

Zach
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.