Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mark's (914Rubber) Project Car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
BeatNavy
Cool, thanks Cary. I should have purchased a brake months ago - would have helped me several times. If you find a shop that fabs it, please let us know. Awesome work, as always smile.gif
Mikey914
I've got a guy that can set up and do this in quantity. Worth probably stocking.
BeatNavy
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ May 12 2016, 01:21 PM) *

I've got a guy that can set up and do this in quantity. Worth probably stocking.

pray.gif
cary
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ May 12 2016, 10:21 AM) *

Mark and I will do some measuring on Saturday. The issue is, it's so small/narrow.
mb911
I could do it as well.. If you get me measurements I will bend up some samples for all of you
mb911
It's made with a goose neck punch and a small 1/4" die. I could make up a ton of them this coming week if you want?
JoeDees
Everybody talking about making samples, I will gladly beta test your product and write a thorough review... KMA.gif beerchug.gif welder.gif type.gif
BillC
QUOTE(cary @ May 12 2016, 11:30 AM) *

... CW ...

What is "CW"? It's been mentioned a couple of times, but without any breakout of the acronym.
cary
Concours Weenie ............. those that want their car to be as it was delivered from the factory.

Some do it competitively. Some for future resale .........
Right now most restoration projects are being over restored anyway. So its kind of a moot point.
BillC
QUOTE(cary @ May 12 2016, 05:43 PM) *

Concours Weenie ............. those that want their car to be as it was delivered from the factory.

Thanks! That's what I suspected, but just wasn't sure.
76-914
QUOTE(cary @ May 11 2016, 08:13 PM) *

Now back where we started ...............

After the road test went back to the front trunk seal channel R & R on the green car. Didn't want to loose the little pieces.
Reference number: Channel is .78 -82" wide ID.
I'm welding on the right. Super In Law is measuring, cutting and fabricating on the left.

Click to view attachment
New lip welded in ..........

Click to view attachment
Up to the front edge. Can't do it CW without removing the front panel.

Click to view attachment
Here's Super In Laws work area .....................

Click to view attachment
His work is exasperated by the fact that during the last repair the inside flange on the left fender wasn't completely removed.

Click to view attachment
Right front all tidied up ..........

Cary, the next to last pic shows 3 layers of metal. What is the center layer? Looks like my left fender was scabbed on as well.
cary
Yep ............... Dandy
cary
Mark stopped by yesterday and installed a set of his new, thicker version of the fender liners. I have a set of the original version on my white DD.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Why everyone doesn't have these are their cars is beyond me. Held in place by the flex of the material and two brackets. The brackets reuse the existing hardware on the rocker and the rear valance. No modifications to the car.

What would the 914 World be like if we'd had these in the beginning?

Mark will be creating a nice DIY set of instructions.
cary
I've been pulling my hair out with a wiring issue.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=285065
Needed some input so I started another thread.
Once again, the car is ready for Mark to pick up and tidy up for the trip to Medford/WCR.

Ended the day installing the rear bumper top support. After the fact installation.

Click to view attachment

Used a self tapping truss screw after pre-drilling the support with a 3/16" hole.
After I unload the stuff off the top of the trunk I'll seam seal the screw from the inside.

Click to view attachment
AfricanHijinx
I am sad that I didn't meet up with Cary when I lived in Sherwood not to far from him...I could use some of his knowledge right about now.
cary
Thanks ............

Mark, in case I forget. (Blue Car)

1. Fresh air blower works on the middle setting
2. Selection of fuses in glove box (hopefully they won't be needed)
3. I changed the instrument lamp fuse to 5 amp. (I hate and don't trust them SOBs)
cary
While I'm working on the blue car getting it ready for WCR. Super In Law is rebuilding a good portion of the left front headlight bucket.
Click to view attachment

While I was digging thru the totes of the parts for my project car I find my black headlight surrounds. Scrubbed one up and slipped it on to Mark's car.
Click to view attachment
cary
Wiring all wrapped up and reinstalled. Everything checks out. driving.gif
All the twisting and turning needed to reinstall the fuse panel made me little nervous.

Knee pad reinstalled. Missing one cage nut, last right bottom, The rest of them worked fine. Tow bar hardware installed.
We spent a little more time making the headlight covers look a little better.
Car dropped off at Les Schwab at 3:30, its in your name. (phone number).
I told them it needed to be done by 10am.
Click to view attachment
cary
QUOTE(cary @ May 15 2016, 09:23 PM) *

Thanks ............

Mark, in case I forget. (Blue Car)

1. Fresh air blower works on the middle setting
2. Selection of fuses in glove box (hopefully they won't be needed)
3. I changed the instrument lamp fuse to 5 amp. (I hate and don't trust them SOBs)

4. Didn't check the brake lights. We'll do that tomorrow night.
5. Fuse #11 is touchy. Did a quick bang bang on the driving light flash. Popped the fuse. New turn signal switch should cure it, but keep an eye on it. For whatever reason most the relays run thru that fuse.
cary
Back to work. Super In Law has been off 5 days and is hot to trot ...........

He jumped right back on the left head light bucket and pivot.
Click to view attachment

On the way home we discussed building a jig for rebuilding and aligning the fenders,hood and headlight buckets. Something along the lines of the door and windshield frames that Porsche and body shops used to have. Maybe pull the skin off a front hood and use the support bracing for a start ..................

I jumped back on the bondo patch in the wheelhouse. The patch welded in fairly easy. The portion right to the front of it. Not so much .............
Got tired of welding and grinding. Cut out the bad spot.
Click to view attachment

Bondo patch from the outside.
Click to view attachment

Inside with crappy metal removed.
Click to view attachment

Found some more holes that need patching ...................
Click to view attachment
cary
While I was waiting for my turn with the welder. I went to work on the oil can dent on the right quarter panel.
Click to view attachment

Went after it with the shrinking disk and soapy water.
Click to view attachment

Got the oil can dent out. But we have some serious fender contour issues. Pulled the contour off my project car.
We'd been discussing changing out the left rear quarter panel because of some really poor patches. But it has a relatively good contour.

Here's the left.
Click to view attachment

Here's the right. sad.gif
Click to view attachment

The panel has a long crease from the door handle pocket to the fender arch.
It will get pulled out after the fender gets reattached.

Mikey914
Cary I have a new fender if it's easier than dealing with the mess. As long as everything else is straight is should be easier to weld on a new one. I'm back tomorrow.
cary
Mark, I don't plan on being at the shop tomorrow. I have an appointment to survey Doug's (raynekat) project. We'll be out there on Thursday and Friday.

The new patch went in without much fan fare.
Click to view attachment

Then I repositioned the bench fixtures to allow me to weld the outer suspension mount to the new wheelhouse.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Had to fiddle with the bottom of the mount just a bit to get it to slide into place.

Click to view attachment
Added 5/26/16 7:30 PST

Leaving the top and bottom until I'm working standing up.
cary
Then I moved on to installing the new jack point.

Put them together and positioned it on the long.
Click to view attachment

Note : I did need to square up the tube. The cut wasn't quite square.

Then I used Mark's old metal and my fiberglass outer rocker to correctly locate it into position.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Then I mark the inside of the positioned tube with a pencil. That way I can remove the cover without losing the correct position. Held in place with my monster magnets.
Click to view attachment

Welded into place. Used between the 1/8 and 3/16 setting on my Millermatic 180. That tube is pretty thick.
Click to view attachment

Prepped the inside of the cover with 2 coats of Rustoleum. Prepped the long with Rustoleum Cold Galvanizing. Both had the rosette areas taped off for brush on weld thru primer.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Letting the paint dry. Ready for welding in on Thursday am.
Click to view attachment
cary
Welds are a little too proud. Too much weld thru primer. mad.gif
Click to view attachment

Two coats of cold galvanizing compound. After it dried, two coats of Evercoat brush on seam sealer. Then another coat of cold galvanizing.
Tube was taped off again so it can be painted with body color paint.
Click to view attachment
cary
Then I went after reinstalling the door jam that was cut out for removing the jack pint.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
cary
Here's where Super In Law left off yesterday.
Click to view attachment

Cut and pasted the upper corners. Not real tough. A little thin in some places on the left.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Then I brushed on seam sealer into channels. All sealed except for the left.
I gave it a good dose of OSPHO.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
cary
While Super In Law was working on the channels I decided to prep the front hood. I will be using it tomorrow to analyze the hood verses head light bucket alignment. Both left to right and up and down.

Decided to go to NAPA and get studs They will replace the 8mm bolts for ease of installation, alignment and removal. Temporary
Click to view attachment

Quite a bit of surface rust in numerous places. But nothing bubbling thru the paint on the top side.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

All of these were liberally sprayed down with OSPHO. Did find a pretty big pocket of rust under the front lip.
Click to view attachment

I filled the front lip with OSPHO and tilted up for an overnight application.
Click to view attachment
rhodyguy
You might want to check the platform leg to the left of the hoist, front end of car, with your level. Might be an optical illusion but it looks way out of plumb.
cary
We measured all 5 cars that are here and everyone of them has a different measurement in the arrowed location. Hmmmm. Hand Built.
So we'll carry on the hand built legacy and adjust the channels until we get the perfect fit.
Click to view attachment
Waiting for Mark to get home and bring us a new trunk seal. But in the mean time we'll use the old one out of my project car.

Waiting on the battery tray attachment area until it's back on the lift and I can work standing up. The more I look, the iffier the metal looks. The last couple weeks I've been thinking of making the battery tray removable. Maybe blind or welded on nuts. But first things first. Lets put in some metal that can be worked with.
Click to view attachment

cary
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ May 27 2016, 07:28 AM) *

You might want to check the platform leg to the left of the hoist, front end of car, with your level. Might be an optical illusion but it looks way out of plumb.

I'll look at it this am. Hopefully that will get replaced with another 2 post this summer.
cary
Now to see if all of our channel work will fit the hood.

Old rubber seal laid into place. All corners are now nice and tight.
Click to view attachment

But we ran into trouble with the front trunk release cable. One of the allen screws was all rounded out. Dandy .........
Once we took off the hinge we could insert the allen driver and seat it with a couple taps with the hammer. Magic ....
Click to view attachment

We found a big kink in the cable which added to the troubles.
Click to view attachment

Then we had to hunt for a front trunk latch. Car came to us without a latch. We had to go thru everything twice, but we finally found the one from my project car.
Click to view attachment

Final result .............
Click to view attachment

It still needs a 1.5mm clockwise rotation. I may or may not be involved in the final Assembly after paint. But I needed to be sure everything fit and lined up perfectly.
After looking over all the well restored cars at WCR I know that the front hood and eye lids need to be dead on.
Mikey914
Looks like I need to get you a cable and guide tube.
cary
Spent the morning doing some housekeeping and tool sorting. Starting to assemble, purchase and fill a new toolbox for my new job.

Seam sealed the front trunk channel and head light buckets for a second time.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Then set about lifting the car off the frame bench. It got a little complex do to the need to work on the engine compartment firewall, right suspension ear and the back half of the floor.

Click to view attachment

Then spent some research time figuring out my plan of attack.
It does look like we'll need to come up with a good right T4 motor mount.
We should be be able to get one from Doug.

Click to view attachment

raynekat
QUOTE(cary @ May 30 2016, 09:28 PM) *

Then spent some research time figuring out my plan of attack.
It does look like we'll need to come up with a good right T4 motor mount.
We should be be able to get one from Doug.

Click to view attachment

I will have a left and right pair of those available.....
smile.gif
cary
After lunch I finish the welds on the outer console. Sprayed it down with Cold Galvanizing. Then worked on the nicks and cuts on the inner console left from cutting off the tie ins.
Click to view attachment

Super In Law starts on the fabricating the tie in plates. This time I dug out the suspension point cuts that I bought last year. This will aid him with reworking our patterns.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=247894&hl=
Click to view attachment

Puts it into the vise for ease of pattern measurements.
Click to view attachment

Once we perfect the patterns we'll make them available.

JoeDees
I'd love a pattern!!!
BeatNavy
QUOTE(DirtyCossack @ Jun 1 2016, 09:21 PM) *

I'd love a pattern!!!

agree.gif I could definitely use that as well, Cary. Thanks for any and all help!
cary
He took the day off to attend a funeral. He'll be back at it tomorrow.

Picked up some more work when I was making a deal on a new Snap On tool box. One of the mid seventies vehicles that just might be rustier than ours.
Toyota Land Cruiser. Simple. Just a cut out and patch. So he say's. LOL.
Eric_Shea
Keep melt'n metal Cary. Looking good. smilie_pokal.gif

Reading through... The tow eye hook should be M9x1.5 not M10. It wasn't clear if you were making those up for sale but, a stock tow eye is M9. It shocked me when I found that out last week. I thought it was M10 as well. wink.gif
cary
Decided I'd install the left front trunk bumper bracket to start the day. Filled in the larger spot welder cutter holes first.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Then got back to tidying up the nicks and cuts on the inner console.
Click to view attachment

Then I brought out the spot blaster to tidy up the console and the wheelhouse.
Click to view attachment

Drew out the patch cut.
Click to view attachment

Long is ready for Eastwood HD Rustproofing.
Click to view attachment

cary
Let's finish yesterday. Fell asleep after Timbers game

Pulled the wiring harness thru the firewall. A couple shots of removing the rear trunk opening motor.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
For reference in the future, the motor wire ends are under the orange tape.

Rats nest .............. but its now laying in the right front floor pan.
Click to view attachment

Onto to the engine bay firewall removal surgery.
Starts with removal of the brake bias valve mounting plate. It will get transferred to the new firewall. Looks like once again the 75 is different than the earlier cars. Photo #1 is Marks car. #2 is the 73 parts car.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I started with the hillbillied corner (right side). I had serious concerns about getting the heater tube out of the old firewall without damage. But patience was my friend and she came out good as new.

Forgot the shot of half the firewall gone. I'll add that tonight with an edit.
Click to view attachment

I deleted a shot of how the factory welded in the heater tube. I needs to be here for those that haven't been here before. I'll shoot a shot of the other side and elaborate tonight.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

A little more housekeeping then a bath of OSPHO. Then I'll apply the HD rust proofing to the inside of the long. That side should be about ready to go back together. I'll have Super In Law start with the hell hole cover plate this am.

Once again lots of work with the 13" air belt sander.
cary
QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Jun 1 2016, 06:38 PM) *

QUOTE(DirtyCossack @ Jun 1 2016, 09:21 PM) *

I'd love a pattern!!!

agree.gif I could definitely use that as well, Cary. Thanks for any and all help!

Mark stopped by to bring me a couple things. But I took him into the other shop where Super In Law was working. Showed him the work on making the tie together plates.
Once we get one created and fitting perfectly he'll took at having them produced.

I'll still have the patterns for those that want to try there hand at blacksmithing. LOL.
cary
Heater tube shot. Basically under the slathering of seam sealer are two acetylene tack welds. Not always in the same place. Probably the difference between a left or right and assembler.
Click to view attachment
Removal: Cut the weld down with a 3' disk on a mandrel. Them pull off the surrounding tin.

Another future info shot: Jumper wire on the seat belt lock out. Had to remove it to pull the harness thru the center tube.
Click to view attachment
cary
I was going to start a new post of Super In Law building the tie in plates. But I think I'll start a new thread this weekend. Easier for searching in the future. And with the advent of Mark's perhaps producing them in the future it would be better served.

Teaser shot : Beginning cut out.
Click to view attachment
cary
Thursday's a short day. Going to pick up my new tool box.

Here's were I left off.
Click to view attachment

Cut them down to size so I could turn them as I torch them out.
Click to view attachment

All done.
Click to view attachment

Mark stopped by and we fitted in the new front trunk seal. A beautiful thing.
Then we decided that we'll probably replace a major portion of both rear quarter panels. One, to correct previous damage. Two, to look at the rust on the inner sail panel support.
Click to view attachment
I would call this long term ownership investment.
This is where I'll do a plug for 914 Rubber. I think everyone should install his fender liners. Just the way that the sail panel support is exposed inside the fender gives way to future issues.
cary
During Mark's visit we decided we'll replace the left inner firewall too. Bottom edge is pretty rotten. Another one of the time vs. dollars decisions. So away I went cutting out the firewall.

Started with unhooking the left heater tube. Start by cutting and removed the e-brake tubes from the engine side. But first one must get rid of the seam sealer. barf.gif

Click to view attachment

Then away I went. Not too many pictures. Just assholes and elbows.

Click to view attachment

Carnage at the end of the day.

Click to view attachment

I cut out the center section to allow me better access to the spot welds. Angle of the drill. If not perfectly square you snap off the teeth. $7-$9 , cha ching. To speed things up I cut out the left inner firewall right with it.

I am going to like removing the inner firewall to tunnel welds from the inside much better. Pretty messy from the outside. From the outside you have the cutter on the portion that you keep. Big holes. sad.gif Preferred method is cutter portion on the portion that is going into the recycling can.

Click to view attachment

cary
Friday 6.3.16

Start with freeing up the left heater tube.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Looks about par for the course. Cup brush, OSPHO then cold galvanizing at a later date.

Then on to the tedious task of removing the top flange of the firewall. Left side factory spot welds. Right side hillbilly seam welded. sad.gif

Left side I cut around the corner that contains the engine lid cable. Did one torch out yesterday without goggles, Bad Boy. Letting my eyes rest.
Click to view attachment

I did all today's work without a spot cutter. Getting tired of the damage it does to the portion that gets reused. Using the HF/Steck version of the Dynabrade system.
Basically using the end of the 13" belt sander I grind down the spot weld and pop it off with either the Steck spot weld splitter (2 versions in the picture) or wood chisel. AKA, a new twist on Rick's method.
Click to view attachment

No hole. No teeth marks.
Click to view attachment

Basically I cut it out in 2 to 3 inch sections. Made a starter cut with the cut off wheel. Then sawed up to the top making sure I went all the way thru the flange. Most came off with a couple bends back back and forth. A couple had to be ground down.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
cary
Now on to the right side. It had been seam welded do to repairing rust of created by a soggy engine sound deadening pad. Not much you can do. The firewall has a hole. And usually theres damage to the rear engine shelf. We'll need to put the rear shelf on Pete's at RD list.

Here's what it should look like after scraping off the seam sealer.
Click to view attachment

Now here's what I need to get thru.
Click to view attachment
Could do the usual DAPO rant. But it is, what it is. My only wish would be that one wouldn't go quite so overboard. Some day it might need to come apart again.

Not a whole lot of detail. Once again, 2 to 3 inch sections. Eyeballed it and it cut out with the die grinder on the mandrel. Have to be careful of the slope. Only had one nick in engine shelf. Right where it transitions back to horizontal.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Luke M
Hi Cary,

The work looks good on this. If you plan on using the RD firewall you'll need a few parts off the old firewall so hang on to it until you install the new one. My brother installed one on his car and it was a pretty easy install once we got it all setup.
The hardest part we found was making sure the lower half of the firewall measurements where dead on. Keep up the great work.

One more note... if you have a spot welder use it to mate the upper to lower sections. I found that plug welding it in was ok but the spot welder would be a cleaner install. We bought a spot welder after the fact but I'll go back to hit a few spots.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.