Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mark's (914Rubber) Project Car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
cary
Once again, Thanks Kevin.

Went thru the box of exhaust tidbits sent by Kevin and selected the needed pieces.
Gave them a good soaking and scrub down in the parts cleaner. Then a trip thru the bead blaster.

Then it was time to put them back to work.

Click to view attachment

A thing of beauty .......
Click to view attachment

I so want to weld this thing up tight. But I know it needs to remain flexible to allow for fitting to the fan housing.
Click to view attachment

Tomorrow I will finish welding up the cracks.

rhodyguy
I thought the squarish pieces that pass for late model j-tubes looked pretty good too. Glad you could make the parts work. Enjoy....
cary
Not much progress to report today.
Didn't get out there till 2pm.
Then changed out the O2 sensor in the landlords truck.

After that we moved the For Sale Car from the 2 post lift to the low rise.

Super In Law is working on a small patch for the lower inner firewall.
I drained the fuel tank and ran the old gas over to Waste Management.
I'm getting it ready to remove the fuel tank so we can install a fresh air blower.

The blower in Mark's parts stash works on all three speeds, but the hose ends on the outer case are broken off. sad.gif But on a positive note all three donor/parts cars we have right now have fresh air blowers in them.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Getting down to the end of the work list. Fresh air blower, complete the engine freshening and brakes. Engine is kind of on hold waiting for an 012 CHT. But if need be I might steal the one off my 74 2L up on the shelf. I'm thinking that engine might become the first Rothsport Motec 2056. Need to save up my lunch money.
Mikey914
Thanks Cary,
I've got the CHT project initiated, and will be working on it this next week when I'm back in town.
MArk
cary
Moving on to bringing the engine back to life. Start the day with freshening up the distributor. I also cleaned the trigger points and lubed the shaft.

Click to view attachment

Compared the dizzy part numbers with Brad's parts chart and it looks like this is 73 distributor. Looks like I'll need to verify that all the d-jet parts are compatible.

Click to view attachment

Next I spent some time doing a static timing set up. Which included setting up the TDC marks on both the flywheel and the impeller fan. Marking the dizzy cap. 1,4.3.2.
This will make future tune ups a snap ...................

Click to view attachment

I had marked the engine tin nuts that wouldn't make torque. Looks like the 4 threads that the cheese heads use were stripped out. So I used a little longer standard M6 bolts to tighten them up. biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment
cary
Short day yesterday. We couldn't get the gear box off our new to us 1.7.
This is the first time I've had a problem. Took us 2 hours of twisting, turning and prying. It finally popped loose. Clutch frozen on to the splines.

After that I got the new brakes installed. All done but the bleeding.
Click to view attachment

Today was all about putting the fuel injection, ignition and wiring back on the short block. Along the way I'm making sure every component is correct and in spec. So far, so good. Rusty parts are bead blasted and clear coated. Black painted parts are cleaned and or blasted. Then painted with 2-3 coats of Rustoluem.

Click to view attachment
There was a cap on the injector when in was in the blast cabinet

Click to view attachment

Surgery table ..............

Click to view attachment

Paint shop open for business ..............

Click to view attachment

This is the way to adjust the valves. Next time I'm in the same spot I'll see if there's an interest in doing a Saturday afternoon party.

Click to view attachment

Heading home ................

Click to view attachment
BeatNavy
As always, it's great to read your progress, Cary. I enjoy seeing the detail you put into this.

Did you ever get around to making a template for the suspension tie pieces? I know you have other fish to fry, but I'm going to have to deal with this sooner or later. No worries/no pressure, just curious.
cary
Yes. After the shop TV install I'll have Super In Law go back over them.
PM your address and I'll mail you a tracing.
I didn't have any takers on my $200+ price tag. LOL. I can't imagine cutting and fitting laying on your back. I think if I got 4-5 commits we could get them down to under $100.

I think Mark can have them cut out with a CNC, which would speed up the process. Hand cutting them out takes a bit of time, 12 ga. Saw blades are $25, you have to let the tool cut at its own speed.
BeatNavy
QUOTE(cary @ Oct 8 2016, 09:41 AM) *

Yes. After the shop TV install I'll have Super In Law go back over them.
PM your address and I'll mail you a tracing.
I didn't have any takers on my $200+ price tag. LOL. I can't imagine cutting and fitting laying on your back. I think if I got 4-5 commits we could get them down to under $100.

I think Mark can have them cut out with a CNC, which would speed up the process. Hand cutting them out takes a bit of time, 12 ga. Saw blades are $25, you have to let the tool cut at its own speed.

Awesome, thanks, Cary. These would definitely be a good thing to have professionally fabricated and available for sale at some point. Maybe this will be my excuse to buy a plasma cutter. Or maybe I'll try to see if Root wouldn't mind cutting a few of these....

PM on the way.
Mikey914
We can easily fabricate these. Just needed to work out the details with Cary .
cary
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Oct 9 2016, 12:05 AM) *

We can easily fabricate these. Just needed to work out the details with Cary .

See, what did I tell you. IIRC the patterns work for both sides. You'll just fold it inside out for the left side.
cary
Not much to add for Saturday. Installed the painted brake reservoir strap. Then we proceeded to bleed the brakes. Only to find once we pressurized the system the back calipers freeze up and don't release. sad.gif And it needs new rotors too.
Emailed Mark

Installed the valve cover gaskets and covers. Then on to cleaning the bottom of the engine. Used wire brushes, brake cleaner and air. It was primarily left over blasting media stuck to the oil. Then changed the filter and refilled with Brad Penn 15-40.
While I was there I removed the thermostat and bagged it up for Mark. Bent up

Then back into office/clean room. I was really starting to struggle. The spark plug wires just wouldn't dress out the way I like. Did I have it set up right ? So I turn the engine 45 degrees on the stand and take off the valve cover and watch the #1 combustion cycle again. TDC, exhaust, both tight, intake then TDC again. Everything is dead on. At the end of the day it looks like someone re indexed the distributor, its off 90 degrees. Which is exacerbated by the fact this distributor has the #1 mark cut where we usually have #3. sad.gif

Click to view attachment

Off to my twice yearly Tire Rack Street Survival instructor duties. 914 World member Gary Chapmen will be there also. He does the inside teaching portion.

cary
Couldn't let the dizzy issue go ................
Headed back out to Forest Grove after the TRSS.

Doubled checked that every thing was at #1 TDC. Then set out to remove the distributor.
Then tried pulling out the dizzy gear drive with one of my multiple magnets. No Go. sad.gif
Went to the Haynes manual and it suggested snap ring pliers. Grabbed them out of the special tool cabinet and went to work. Easy Deal .............

Click to view attachment

DANGER : After you pull the dizzy. The special oiling washer is just sitting on the dizzy boss. If left alone it could get knocked into the bottom of the engine. Please dont get distracted and retrieve it with a magnet.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Used the sticky grease to hold the washer in place when I dropped the drive back into the hole. Had to do it twice to get the alignment I wanted.

Click to view attachment

Took two attempts but I have number 1 back where I want it. Now it points right at the vacuum advance hose tube. piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif

Now I can dress the spark plug wires to my liking ...............

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
Very nice way to tidy up the spark plug wires.
cary
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Found my used pins from the rewiring of the 3.2 conversion on my 911.
Click to view attachment

cary
Finished up the return line with a new twist (non CW). Added a couple zip tie holders to the rear engine tin. Keeps it all tidy. I'm also going to have Super In Law fabricate a brace to hold the rear engine tin place. I get tired of it laying over.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

We'll see if I like the location after its back in the car. If not I'll hang it from the outer slot.

cary
One little rust repair behind the drivers seat. Usual spot ..................
Cancer cut out. And entire area sprayed with cold galvanizing.
Click to view attachment

Patch welded in. Tough duty for a right hander. Upside down and backwards.
Super In Law made the patch piece. But after closer inspection I'll need a little extension right under the e brake tubes.
Click to view attachment

Went thru a few sanding belts to smooth down the weld. Not exactly my prettiest work.
A little metal degradation on the upper portion and brazing on the left.
Click to view attachment

cary
QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Jun 1 2016, 06:38 PM) *

QUOTE(DirtyCossack @ Jun 1 2016, 09:21 PM) *

I'd love a pattern!!!

agree.gif I could definitely use that as well, Cary. Thanks for any and all help!

For those that would like a copy of the suspension tie patterns PM me with your mailing address. I have Rich and Rob's already. But I need to go to Staples and get some thicker paper first.

cary
Rich and Rob patterns going out in the mail today.
BeatNavy
Thanks, Cary. You are the man (and so is Super-In-Law) beer.gif
mbseto
QUOTE(cary @ Oct 16 2016, 10:49 AM) *

For those that would like a copy of the suspension tie patterns PM me with your mailing address. I have Rich and Rob's already. But I need to go to Staples and get some thicker paper first.

I could use a pattern, but wouldn't it be easier for you to scan them and just email a scan?
cary
Send me your email and I'll try it tonight ..........
cary
QUOTE(mbseto @ Oct 19 2016, 11:15 AM) *

I could use a pattern, but wouldn't it be easier for you to scan them and just email a scan?

For those that want a PDF. I have the PDF scaled 100% dead on.
Send me your email.
JoeDees
QUOTE(mbseto @ Oct 19 2016, 01:15 PM) *

Reading this, I remembered that I was supposed to scan in and send you my template...sorry. But on the bright side, I'm 100% sure Cary's will be better than mine.
cary
Mark stopped by yesterday to drop off the first batch of steering rack cases (?) to be washed in the jet washer.
He also picked up the templates for the suspension ties to see about having them cut out with a CNC or plasma table.
Click to view attachment
BeatNavy
Cary - thanks again for sending these out. You, sir, are an upstanding 914World citizen. Having said that, if Mark does make these and sell them reasonably priced, I will gladly go that route rather than attempt to make myself.
cary
Mark stopped by yesterday and did a project review on the For Sale Car. It's been a while.
Work List ..................
* Inspect the fuel tank and lines
* Finish the rebuilding of the brake system (rears & bleeding)
* Finish engine/FI refreshment and install
Then it will return to 914 Rubber for the interior and trunk painting.
cary
QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Oct 8 2016, 05:25 AM) *

As always, it's great to read your progress, Cary. I enjoy seeing the detail you put into this.

Did you ever get around to making a template for the suspension tie pieces? I know you have other fish to fry, but I'm going to have to deal with this sooner or later. No worries/no pressure, just curious.

Look what Matt dropped off this afternoon. Don't know the pricing .................
Click to view attachment

rhodyguy
Nice trick with the zip ties and piece of hose on the wires.
cary
As Super In Law is finishing up the engine tray patch on Doug's car. I jumped over and installed the new rotors and calipers on Mark's for sale car.
I did also crack the hose connections right below the engine tray on both sides. biggrin.gif No issues. I removed the hard and soft lines on Saturday after pulling the calipers and rotors.

Click to view attachment
Mikey914
Thanks Cary.
BeatNavy
QUOTE(cary @ May 13 2017, 09:57 PM) *

QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Oct 8 2016, 05:25 AM) *

Look what Matt dropped off this afternoon. Don't know the pricing .................
Click to view attachment

Hey Cary! Sorry, I haven't checked out this thread in a while. Did Mark stamp or cut out some suspension ties?

Mark - are these for sale yet?
cary
Yes. And I haven't heard of the price. They're sitting on the bench at my shop.
I think the thought was to do a set of instruction / video of Super In Law doing the welding and bending.
Mikey914
I can sell you the full set at $30 all 3 pcs. I don't have on the website, but yes PM me with the email and you address for shipping thinking these should ship for less than $6 domestic depending on how they ship.
Mark
BeatNavy
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ May 30 2017, 12:45 PM) *

I can sell you the full set at $30 all 3 pcs. I don't have on the website, but yes PM me with the email and you address for shipping thinking these should ship for less than $6 domestic depending on how they ship.
Mark

PM sent (two actually).

I know there's more I need on your site, and I'll probably remember what those are after these ship...

Thanks Mark (and Cary, and Super-In-Law)!
cary
I'll have Super In Law draw the bend lines on all the larger pieces before Mark picks them up.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.