Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My 73 Suby drivetrain conversion upgrade!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
76-914
So whats the plan Jamie? Get everything bolted together and wired up then take it to the mechanic/tuner for exhaust and start up? Still thinking about AC? popcorn[1].gif
JRust
QUOTE(76-914 @ Feb 12 2018, 08:15 AM) *

So whats the plan Jamie? Get everything bolted together and wired up then take it to the mechanic/tuner for exhaust and start up? Still thinking about AC? popcorn[1].gif

A/C is still on the table. I'm going to see what my wrench says about making it fit. With my turbo in front it will take a little work as my oil lines & such to the turbo need changed a bit as the would interfere now. Need to rotate them a bit. I'll see about getting the lines made for the A/C at the same time as I get the hydraulic one for the clutch.

You happen to have a link for that Clevis joint for the clutch pedal?
76-914
https://www.mcmaster.com/#clevises/=1bjgud3

I'd suggest you plan on several trips if your having someone make your AC hoses. Otherwise use my crimper and make your own. All of your engine related AC equipment will go over the top the engine and down n out the right side long. Should be plenty of room for it.
I noticed they have metric clevis' now. The clevis I used was 5/16" so it required changing out the Honda MC plunger which has the metric threads. Easy to do. Just buy a long 5/16" bolt, cut to length then round and polish the end. I still have a bunch of this stuff around here somewhere. PM me and I'll see what I have for you. beerchug.gif
JRust
QUOTE(76-914 @ Feb 12 2018, 10:49 AM) *

https://www.mcmaster.com/#clevises/=1bjgud3

I'd suggest you plan on several trips if your having someone make your AC hoses. Otherwise use my crimper and make your own. All of your engine related AC equipment will go over the top the engine and down n out the right side long. Should be plenty of room for it.
I noticed they have metric clevis' now. The clevis I used was 5/16" so it required changing out the Honda MC plunger which has the metric threads. Easy to do. Just buy a long 5/16" bolt, cut to length then round and polish the end. I still have a bunch of this stuff around here somewhere. PM me and I'll see what I have for you. beerchug.gif

I called to order my cables from Control Cables . They work quickly & it was $128 per cable. I ordered 2 7ft cables with high temp sheathing. They are 1/4-28 ends with 3" of throw. I also got my Clevis from them. Ordered them today & they will ship Wednesday. My kinda place so I may have them by the weekend.
JRust
Okay parts came in this week. I got my Hydraulic conversion plate for the Honda MC from Ross. I got my new shift cables from Control Cables 5 min ago. Hoping my tranny hangar's make it from Ian today or tomorrow as well.

So this weekend I am getting my hydraulic conversion done. With the exception of my actual hydraulic line. Which my wrench will get done for me along with my A/C line I hope. My hope is to have my car buttoned up. Then off to my wrench to finish my turbo setup & Exhaust.

Also I will have my new cables for my Mr2 Shifter in place. It has a short shift on it which I'm not crazy about as it already sits pretty low. So I went on Ebay & Ordered one out of 2000+ MR2. Sits higher but I am entirely sure it will work as I want. I figure I'll have 2 to play with though. So one of them I am sure I will like.
76-914
QUOTE(JRust @ Feb 16 2018, 10:40 AM) *

Okay parts came in this week. I got my Hydraulic conversion plate for the Honda MC from Ross. I got my new shift cables from Control Cables 5 min ago. Hoping my tranny hangar's make it from Ian today or tomorrow as well.

So this weekend I am getting my hydraulic conversion done. With the exception of my actual hydraulic line. Which my wrench will get done for me along with my A/C line I hope. My hope is to have my car buttoned up. Then off to my wrench to finish my turbo setup & Exhaust.

Also I will have my new cables for my Mr2 Shifter in place. It has a short shift on it which I'm not crazy about as it already sits pretty low. So I went on Ebay & Ordered one out of 2000+ MR2. Sits higher but I am entirely sure it will work as I want. I figure I'll have 2 to play with though. So one of them I am sure I will like.

I hadn’t seen that plastic based model of the MR-2 shifter. Stay with it Jamie. beerchug.gif
JRust
Yeah I screwed my day yesterday for car work. Went up to WA & bought a 88 944 turbo that was wrecked. Front end is a little jacked up but only has 68k on the car. Still runs & I plan to rebuild it. IT did however wipe out my day. All I managed for my 914 was painting my tranny ears & my Hydraulic conversion plate. Hoping to get a little time this afternoon but the wife has my day pretty well booked up. Although she & my son have a little trip this week. So all my nights are open to work on it again
Amenson
Unfortunately for the plastic shifter will swap 1,3,5 and 2,4,R. The cable needs to attach above the pivot.

Does your short shifter look like the top of this picture? If so you can easily remove it from the ball and make something like the bottom to get the height you want.

Click to view attachment

I whipped that one out when setting up my lathe. I didn't add the snap ring, the set screw should be enough to hold it in place.

Click to view attachment
Chris H.
I added a small extension to my short MR2 shifter. Stainless steel (avoid the aluminum version, they tend to break).

Looks like this:

Stainless 3.5" extension

I used a stock MR2 knob which screws down onto the shifter a bit. Makes for a pretty good height.

JRust
QUOTE(Amenson @ Feb 18 2018, 07:22 PM) *

Unfortunately for the plastic shifter will swap 1,3,5 and 2,4,R. The cable needs to attach above the pivot.

Does your short shifter look like the top of this picture? If so you can easily remove it from the ball and make something like the bottom to get the height you want.

Well crap. I knew they were different but figured it would still shift the same because of the mid engine setup? Oh well no big loss. That Extension you added the link for will probably have to do it.

Quick pic of the tranny hangars painted & my conversion plate for my hydraulic conversion. The highlight of my work this weekend. LOL
76-914
Whether you need an extension depends upon where you locate your shifter and how long your arms are. Mine is within arms reach and I like the short shifts. Why have a 10-12” throw when you can have a 3-4” throw? confused24.gif
JRust
I did have mine mounted a few inches off the center tunnel before. That was with a Stock MR2 shifter which did not come up to high. Worked great but I figured with the short shifter it would have it sitting to low again. I will play with it & figure it out. Hoping to spend a couple hours Tuesday night on it
rnellums
Haha, I should have told you Jamie. The clutch plate is stainless, no painting required smile.gif.
JRust
Okay I got my hydraulic conversion plate in. Added longer bolts for the pedal cluster that attach the MC. With the adapter plate I didn't the bolt was long enough. Guess I could have gone a 1/4" shorter but at least it works fine. Although I wish I would have bolted it in place to mark the whole I need for the clutch MC. Looks like I am a little off. Although my hole is a little bigger so maybe it will work as is. I've got to press out the studs from the Honda MC. The lower one just needs a short bolt through. The upper can be a little longer but the ones it come with are just to long.

I also installed my Tranny ears. My motor is sitting where it is going to be. It is still farther forward than I would like. In retrospect I wish I would have not sold my previous cradle with my old drivetrain. Wanted to make it easier for whoever bought it. MY old cradle had the drivetrain shifted farther to the rear by a good 3-4". Which with the way I have my turbo out in front of my motor. This puts my turbo to close to the firewall. I'm going to have to modify my header to have enough space I believe. It also screws where I had my battery mounted (down low on the firewall behind the passenger seat) My header is up close there. So my old mount my header just barely caught it on install when I though the drivetrain placement was a couple inches back. I had planned to run the smaller Miata battery which would let me cut down my mount. Even with that I am not sure it will work. One thing to mess with later
76-914
Keep on keeping on, Jamie. beerchug.gif Do something everyday to your car and it will be finished before you know it. Way to go, stay after it.
Amenson
How about this for a shifter? Even comes with built in central e-brake!

Lotus

Regarding engine placement...instead of modifying the header why not move the engine. After working with the coldwater mount on Grey, I really think that the best thing to do with it is to direct bolt the engine to the cradle and use the stock location 914 isolators for the front and rear mounts. Having soft mounts for the engine to cradle but not for the trans to cradle has always bothered me a bit. It is working in the field so it is not a real failure mode, but still...

If you ditch the Subaru engine mounts and modify the cradle to direct bolt the engine a few inches back it solves a bunch of problems. Including the axle alignment and and CG if you use the opportunity to lower the engine the thickness of the suby engine mount.
lastwolf69
QUOTE(JRust @ Feb 23 2018, 12:48 AM) *

Okay I got my hydraulic conversion plate in. Added longer bolts for the pedal cluster that attach the MC. With the adapter plate I didn't the bolt was long enough. Guess I could have gone a 1/4" shorter but at least it works fine. Although I wish I would have bolted it in place to mark the whole I need for the clutch MC. Looks like I am a little off. Although my hole is a little bigger so maybe it will work as is. I've got to press out the studs from the Honda MC. The lower one just needs a short bolt through. The upper can be a little longer but the ones it come with are just to long.

I also installed my Tranny ears. My motor is sitting where it is going to be. It is still farther forward than I would like. In retrospect I wish I would have not sold my previous cradle with my old drivetrain. Wanted to make it easier for whoever bought it. MY old cradle had the drivetrain shifted farther to the rear by a good 3-4". Which with the way I have my turbo out in front of my motor. This puts my turbo to close to the firewall. I'm going to have to modify my header to have enough space I believe. It also screws where I had my battery mounted (down low on the firewall behind the passenger seat) My header is up close there. So my old mount my header just barely caught it on install when I though the drivetrain placement was a couple inches back. I had planned to run the smaller Miata battery which would let me cut down my mount. Even with that I am not sure it will work. One thing to mess with later

When I built my cradle and 5mt mount I ran into the same problem with it being so fare forward (made to spec with one of coldwaters; just with heavier duty steal) I end end up starting over and moving the entire cross beam back 3" this made my drive lines line up perfectly straight.
JRust
QUOTE(Amenson @ Feb 23 2018, 08:28 AM) *

Regarding engine placement...instead of modifying the header why not move the engine. After working with the coldwater mount on Grey, I really think that the best thing to do with it is to direct bolt the engine to the cradle and use the stock location 914 isolators for the front and rear mounts. Having soft mounts for the engine to cradle but not for the trans to cradle has always bothered me a bit. It is working in the field so it is not a real failure mode, but still...

If you ditch the Subaru engine mounts and modify the cradle to direct bolt the engine a few inches back it solves a bunch of problems. Including the axle alignment and and CG if you use the opportunity to lower the engine the thickness of the suby engine mount.

Problem is the oil pan & the cross bar on the cradle. I can't just move it back a few inches as there is maybe an inch between the oil pan & that cross bar. So barring making a completely new cradle. Modifying this one isn't going to make sense.

Doing a new cradle is not completely out of the equation at this point either. I'll be taking it to my wrench for all my turbo work soon. I'll see what he has to say on what would be easiest. He does have a good fab guy. So making another cradle may just happen.
JRust
I bought another MR2 shifter off eBay tonight. The one I got from a late model won't work as someone pointed out as it would reverse my gears. My other mr2 shifter has the short shift kit which I didn't like. I just noticed it also doesn't shift worth a crap. The shifter hits the side to side post keeping it from going into first. So I ordered one from an 86. I also received my new cables. I'm gone all next week for work. I've got a few things on tap tomorrow but it will sit for about 10 days while I am gone.

Tomorrow will be installing the Hydraulic MC. I went to HF to get a small press. Need to press out the studs in the honda MC for shorter bolts. Picked up the 6ton press which was the smallest at HF. Been wanting to have one for years. I'll make good use of it tomorrow & get it mounted on my bench. Nice as it is compact & will go on an end. I also need to get one of my brake MC lines back in as I popped one out a bit during my install of the plate. I hate those damn feed lines dry.gif . We have history
A&P Mech
Sounds like we share some of the same history. Of all the things I have done to my car the MC lines have to be the biggest pain. Good luck and may the "patience" be with you.
76-914
Jamie, my shifter would bind on the side to side when the bolt head would catch. I just ground it down till it cleared. beerchug.gif
Amenson
QUOTE(JRust @ Feb 23 2018, 12:53 PM) *

Problem is the oil pan & the cross bar on the cradle. I can't just move it back a few inches as there is maybe an inch between the oil pan & that cross bar. So barring making a completely new cradle. Modifying this one isn't going to make sense.

Doing a new cradle is not completely out of the equation at this point either. I'll be taking it to my wrench for all my turbo work soon. I'll see what he has to say on what would be easiest. He does have a good fab guy. So making another cradle may just happen.

Ya...I just went back through your thread and found that you have the shortened/boxed oil pan. Definitely no room with that pan and the Coldwater cradle.

You could have kept your firewall mount. I really think that is the best solution...so much so that Mark now has it so that I can install it on his EG build. shades.gif
914forme
agree.gif cradles are so overrated. Porsche never used one, engine and trans can support themselves off the mounts locations. So many ways to build these. I now prefer the front firewall and back trans hanger, think 914-6 or 914-6 conversion cars. Plenty of room then for exhaust, shift linkage, oil plumbing, or about anything else you would like to occupy that space. I'll gladly take practical and simple over cool any day. As Einstein said, "Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler". shades.gif

Can't wait to see this one on the road again.

JRust
Yeah I probably should have kept my firewall mount for it. I just didn't want to screw with everything I have on my firewall. Just my fuel pump really but I didn't want to grind off my paint to weld the plates to it. Overall that would have been a lot less work. Since I have my header coming out front for my turbo in front of the motor. I didn't see any reason not to use the cradle as it would cause me no interference with my exhaust. Oh well though not the first time I have done things the harder longer way dry.gif
76-914
QUOTE(914forme @ Feb 24 2018, 06:05 PM) *

agree.gif cradles are so overrated. Porsche never used one, engine and trans can support themselves off the mounts locations. So many ways to build these. I now prefer the front firewall and back trans hanger, think 914-6 or 914-6 conversion cars. Plenty of room then for exhaust, shift linkage, oil plumbing, or about anything else you would like to occupy that space. I'll gladly take practical and simple over cool any day. As Einstein said, "Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler". shades.gif

Can't wait to see this one on the road again.

Not all cradles are overrated! evilgrin.gif
JRust
Got my clutch MC & brace in place finally. Heading to my wrench this saturday. Need to get the transmission in neutral. I'm missing one end on one of my cable. I ordered my cables with to much throw I think. I was going by memory & did 3" of throw. I think I actually only had 2" of throw in my cables before. On the side to side cable it will work. The forward & back it is to long. I can fabricate a new back of the MR2 base where the cable mounts. That would take care of the problem. Or I order another cable with 2" of throw.

Anyway it is headed to my wrench for the following. Going to get a new cradle fabricated moving my drivetrain back 4". Getting my Turbo installed & exhaust fabricated. Wire up my ECU & finishing touches for all my motor lines.
hockeymutt
Quick question since I'm tossing around the idea of ditching the wrx motor in favor of the ez30. Is it worth the extra work to use the wrx motor?
Chris H.
Click to view attachment

You can get the trans in neutral manually at the shift rod if you need to. It slides in and out of the trans (see arrows) and there are three positions it clicks in to. the middle one is neutral. You will know its neutral because you can rotate or twist the shaft by moving the linkage at the end.
76-914
It looks like the trans flanges are centered with wheels. Why are you setting it back another 4", Jaime? beerchug.gif
JRust
QUOTE(76-914 @ Mar 16 2018, 06:00 AM) *

It looks like the trans flanges are centered with wheels. Why are you setting it back another 4", Jaime? beerchug.gif

They aren't centered. Moving it back 4" would get them centered & where they were with my previous setup. Just an oversight on my part between my old cradle & the new one. Just ordered the cold water one. Which is fine & a good cradle. It is just made with the option of using the 901 tranny or the suby. I could keep it as is but think I'd need to get new axle's. I think the extra angle will just tear them up as they are stretched a bit. Plus this made things tight for my turbo at the firewall as well. I'll see what my wrench suggests is the better way to go
76-914
QUOTE(JRust @ Mar 16 2018, 07:21 AM) *

QUOTE(76-914 @ Mar 16 2018, 06:00 AM) *

They aren't centered. Moving it back 4" would get them centered & where they were with my previous setup. Just an oversight on my part between my old cradle & the new one. Just ordered the cold water one. Which is fine & a good cradle. It is just made with the option of using the 901 tranny or the suby. I could keep it as is but think I'd need to get new axle's. I think the extra angle will just tear them up as they are stretched a bit. Plus this made things tight for my turbo at the firewall as well. I'll see what my wrench suggests is the better way to go

OK, my mistake. I understand now. You'll have plenty of room up front once they're centered. We may see the green machine at RT66 after all. beerchug.gif
JRust
Dropped it off at the shop today. We'll see how this goes. Definitely getting a new cradle tabbed up. Hopefully the guy can get on it right away. If there is a long wait. Driving it to Route 66 may not happen. Hell I am even okay with that. I'll fly out if that is the case. It would knock off a good 35-40 hours blink.gif . With my car gone it will make cleaning up my garage easier. I'll get everything organized so when it comes home it will be more spacious
76-914
QUOTE(JRust @ Mar 17 2018, 10:56 PM) *

Dropped it off at the shop today. We'll see how this goes. Definitely getting a new cradle tabbed up. Hopefully the guy can get on it right away. If there is a long wait. Driving it to Route 66 may not happen. Hell I am even okay with that. I'll fly out if that is the case. It would knock off a good 35-40 hours blink.gif . With my car gone it will make cleaning up my garage easier. I'll get everything organized so when it comes home it will be more spacious

Damn Jamie. Wish you were closer. We could knock one out in a day. Of course it wouldn't be as nice a product as a real fabricator will make for you. rolleyes.gif
JRust
Well an update on my car though not a good one. Took it to the shop before Route 66 hoping he could finish it off in time. No luck there but didn't think WCR would be a problem. Well it would seem I screwed the pooch there as well. It's been a little out of sight out of mind. So I haven't been calling enough to keep things going. The main thing being the guy who was modifying my cradle killed me. He had my cradle over a month. Just got it back to my wrench last week & it wouldn't work. He needed to move my motor mounts back 2". Which he did but he failed to take into account the fact that cross bar was already close to my oil pan. So he moved the mounts but not the bar. Which meant it would not fit. So had to go back to get modified again. When he test fits it Wednesday the guy will come over to make new tranny hangars as well headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif

ARGH! Okay so since he was waiting on the cradle. I did have him go through & reseal my motor, change the timing belt & water pump. As well as new Head Gaskets. Wasn't really due for it as it only has 55k on it. I didn't want anything pending there. So some good came of it I suppose. Without the cradle & the motor in place. It really kept him from doing all the work I brought it over there for. Mainly getting my turbo set & all the lines run. As well as all the intercooler stuff. What sucks is I won't have my car for WCR. Super frustrating as it should have been no problem to have it ready. I should have just bit the bullet & made a cradle myself.

One other issue is my tranny was stuck in gear. Though maybe I just bound it up somehow & he would do something simple to fix. Nah I'm going to have to pull the stack to see what the deal is. I took over my spare tranny today & got to talk things over with him. Probably be a week or 2 after WCR before it's ready. Oh well at least I will have it all dialed in for most the summer.
76-914
It will all be worth it once finished Jamie! I feel your pain. I hate waiting. Hang in there and we'll see you at the '19 Events. beerchug.gif
mgp4591
QUOTE(76-914 @ May 29 2018, 07:51 AM) *

It will all be worth it once finished Jamie! I feel your pain. I hate waiting. Hang in there and we'll see you at the '19 Events. beerchug.gif

You've got another shot for 2018 - see you at RRC!! driving.gif
2mAn
damn, I wanted to come here and give you a hard time, but it looks like you are already getting it.

Keep it up! It will all be worth it when its done, this is the annoying part. Make a list and deal with them one at a time and keep the big picture in sight. Before you know it, its exhaust time followed by a burnout!
JRust
Well the good news is with the test fit on my cradle the axles are lined up nicely. Moving it back 2" was just right. Only issue is the top of the tranny is hitting the bottom of the trunk. Going to need to cut out a bit for it to fit. Or drop the whole drivetrain 2 ". Which I am not going to do. So another cut in my trunk is coming. I'll get it all cleaned up & looking nice though. At this point I want to just drive my car again. I can screw around with making it all look nice later
76-914
That cut out can be a blessing, too. It's very handy for servicing the slave cylinder or a bleed point as that will be the high point on one end. Does it look like she'll be on the road in the next 30-60 days? popcorn[1].gif
Mueller
QUOTE(JRust @ May 31 2018, 07:23 PM) *

Well the good news is with the test fit on my cradle the axles are lined up nicely. Moving it back 2" was just right. Only issue is the top of the tranny is hitting the bottom of the trunk. Going to need to cut out a bit for it to fit. Or drop the whole drivetrain 2 ". Which I am not going to do. So another cut in my trunk is coming. I'll get it all cleaned up & looking nice though. At this point I want to just drive my car again. I can screw around with making it all look nice later

Glad to see forward progress!

Are you documenting this so others don't run into same problem is is your case unique?
JRust
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jun 1 2018, 07:46 AM) *

Are you documenting this so others don't run into same problem is is your case unique?

I will list everything on the cradle problems I had. I may flat out just get another made with a jig that will be right for everyone. It is a little silly for multiple people to keep struggling with cradle's. The problem with the coldwater cradle is it is made to work with the 901. It will work with both but when you run a suby trans it is 2" to far forward. Give a bigger angle on the CV's. Just more likely to blow out the suby CV this way. I talked with Rich 914werks a bit about it. May just help him fab one.

Yeah my car should be on the road by the end of the month. It really isn't that far off. Just isn't going to be ready for WCR.

I am considering ditching my plan of having the turbo in front of the motor & go more with the stock subaru location. Since I need ot cut out my trunk a bit anyway. It would make it easier to put my intercooler at the top of the firewall. Without worrying about the heat from the turbo affecting it. So my current polished header may get pulled in favor of the more stock setup. Still talking it over with my wrench
Mowog4
QUOTE(JRust @ Jun 1 2018, 09:57 AM) *

I will list everything on the cradle problems I had. I may flat out just get another made with a jig that will be right for everyone. It is a little silly for multiple people to keep struggling with cradle's. The problem with the coldwater cradle is it is made to work with the 901. It will work with both but when you run a suby trans it is 2" to far forward. Give a bigger angle on the CV's. Just more likely to blow out the suby CV this way. I talked with Rich 914werks a bit about it. May just help him fab one.

Yeah my car should be on the road by the end of the month. It really isn't that far off. Just isn't going to be ready for WCR.

I am considering ditching my plan of having the turbo in front of the motor & go more with the stock subaru location. Since I need ot cut out my trunk a bit anyway. It would make it easier to put my intercooler at the top of the firewall. Without worrying about the heat from the turbo affecting it. So my current polished header may get pulled in favor of the more stock setup. Still talking it over with my wrench

Jamie
I just ordered a pair of Dutchman axles, the axles I had on mine weren’t splined correctly and they caused the CV’s to bind and pull the axles out of the CV’s. I will see how it works with the stock location of the Coldwater cradle. I’ll be back up and running in two weeks, and let you know. If that doesn’t,t work I am going to use off road 930 CVs on both ends. They appear to have plenty of angle to work, even though it’ll be pricey.

Ed
914work
Jamie do you need an Trunk "steel" for patching?
Im going to be doing some final cutting on a car today.
burton73
Jamie,

Pictures of my V8 car for the 930 trans. I made a raised area in the trunk (for the clearance)
and then got metal from Bruce Stone so I could make the cover fit and look right. Also did a cover for access to the distributor.

My trans is also moved back a couple of inches and the drop-down bracket show.

You could do it and paint the cover later.

Best,

Bob B
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment welder.gif
JRust
QUOTE(914werke @ Jun 1 2018, 11:14 AM) *

Jamie do you need an Trunk "steel" for patching?
Im going to be doing some final cutting on a car today.

Wouldn't hurt Rich. I have the full piece below the twilight. It's a replacement aftermarket panel. Figure to use it but that piece would be less wasteful.

Hey Bob as usual you work is top notch. I will probably weld in the extra tower braces as well. Worry about cutting the rear trunk structurally. Not a huge area but be good to stiffen things
JRust
Yep I am changing the location of my turbo. Just going in the more stock suby spot. Ordered a new equal length header & uppipe. So I'll be cutting out a bit more between the shock towers. Didn't really want to mess with my trunk to much. With the front trunk all used up. I need all the space I can get. LOL! Oh well the other benefit is adding my ac pump wont be a problem now. There was some interference with my turbo up front.
914forme
QUOTE(JRust @ Jun 1 2018, 12:57 PM) *

And well why not just get Rich to fab up an engine mount and a trans hanger setup for the MT5 confused24.gif

His -6 mount is what I used as inspiration for my EG mount. It just makes a lot more sense than a cradle, maybe I am screwy.gif I really like to Keep It Simple because I can be Stupid.

People think the cradle is cool, I get it, but there is really no design reality that calls for the cradle. Only one I can think of is if your going to use it to make mounting points for the suspension. And at that point I would build a tube framed car, with a 914ish body hanging on it. Or do like Dane did.....

Click to view attachment

That is another epic build at a different level.

Keep going Jamie aktion035.gif
mepstein
Every indication is that coldwater is no longer making parts so hopefully some suby guys will take over the production of conversion parts and take it to the next level.

76-914
I can think of 2 advantages to a cradle or I should say my cradle. The first you know of Stephan.
1) Safety; I can roll my engine drive train out intact. No balancing acts.
2) Engine and pan protection. If I am to "bottom out" the cradle is a barrier between the engine, oil pan and exhaust

It's a matter of personal preference. This is why Ice Cream has different flavors. beerchug.gif
JRust
QUOTE(914forme @ Jun 6 2018, 10:50 AM) *

And well why not just get Rich to fab up an engine mount and a trans hanger setup for the MT5 confused24.gif

His -6 mount is what I used as inspiration for my EG mount. It just makes a lot more sense than a cradle, maybe I am screwy.gif I really like to Keep It Simple because I can be Stupid.

People think the cradle is cool, I get it, but there is really no design reality that calls for the cradle. Only one I can think of is if your going to use it to make mounting points for the suspension. And at that point I would build a tube framed car, with a 914ish body hanging on it. Or do like Dane did.....

Keep going Jamie aktion035.gif

I actually had a firewall setup which I sold like an idiot. I had cradle on the brain & didn't want to mess up my nice painted firewall. LOL! Of course I had my cradle & thought I was set. In retrospect I would have been better off saying phuck it & starting from scratch. Doing the mixture of stuff I did has caused me problems. I would have been best off just keeping my original cradle. I was trying to make the conversion easier on whoever bought it. Unfortunately the list of things I should have done is rather long wacko.gif . Once I am done I am going to go through & document what I ended up with. Hopefully that will help with the next guy who does it
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.