Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My 73 Suby drivetrain conversion upgrade!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
76-914
Sounds like Jamie is pumping the accelerator pedal? confused24.gif Did you place that little metal inductor wheel back onto the flywheel before you installed the pressure plate? beerchug.gif
sixnotfour
Jamie , thats the calmest no start video Ive ever seen...stay calm and check on
JRust
Missed plugging in my crank sensor & also one negative wire. Need to trace what it goes to. May be the negative wire for my fuel pump? I'll find out tonight. I did not stay up all night thinking about it. Done enough of that with my car through the years. I put it out of my mind & slept like a baby. The one that wakes up every 2 hours upset headbang.gif
Chris H.
That's most likely it. I don't think the ECU would trigger the injectors if it doesn't see a signal from the crank sensor. And if you're fuel pump isn't grounded... BTW can you HEAR the fuel pump running? Is it a Walbro or something else?
dan10101
QUOTE(JRust @ Aug 26 2019, 12:01 PM) *

Missed plugging in my crank sensor & also one negative wire. Need to trace what it goes to. May be the negative wire for my fuel pump? I'll find out tonight. I did not stay up all night thinking about it. Done enough of that with my car through the years. I put it out of my mind & slept like a baby. The one that wakes up every 2 hours upset headbang.gif

Cool.

Sounds like my house.
JRust
Okay went down tonight after work to give it another try. Got the crank sensor plugged in & the ground that wasn't yesterday. Turned on my phone to record & went to start it. Turned over great but still got nothing. My fuel pump no longer clicks but runs like it is supposed to confused24.gif . Okay I get to looking some more. Down but my fuel pump is a shut off valve I forgot about. Damned if it isn't turn off. I turn it back on & go turn my key. Pump is much louder & sounds horrible for the few seconds before it turns off. I don't start it but turn it off & cycle it again. I hear the pump being a bit loud again but I also hear some gurgles from my fuel tank. Ah okay I let it cycle a few times. It calms down & sounds normal. I of course didn't keep recording with my phone. Gave it a try again & got a burp. I cycle it again & got it to fire up. Ran it for about 45 seconds & shut it off. Figured to get it on video. Did get some smoke from the tailpipe & a bit around the motor. So go back to start it again on video & just turned over. Not sure if I flooded it or what. I left it alone & figured I'd call tonight a win. I'll try to fire it up in the morning before I leave for work & will get it on video. I can say the exhaust isn't exactly subtle shades.gif
Andyrew
smilie_pokal.gif
Cairo94507
Major milestone. Congratulations; it is alive. beerchug.gif
pploco
Nice job. Can't wait to hear that beast.
Chris H.
QUOTE(JRust @ Aug 27 2019, 12:57 AM) *

Okay went down tonight after work to give it another try. Got the crank sensor plugged in & the ground that wasn't yesterday. Turned on my phone to record & went to start it. Turned over great but still got nothing. My fuel pump no longer clicks but runs like it is supposed to confused24.gif . Okay I get to looking some more. Down but my fuel pump is a shut off valve I forgot about. Damned if it isn't turn off. I turn it back on & go turn my key. Pump is much louder & sounds horrible for the few seconds before it turns off. I don't start it but turn it off & cycle it again. I hear the pump being a bit loud again but I also hear some gurgles from my fuel tank. Ah okay I let it cycle a few times. It calms down & sounds normal. I of course didn't keep recording with my phone. Gave it a try again & got a burp. I cycle it again & got it to fire up. Ran it for about 45 seconds & shut it off. Figured to get it on video. Did get some smoke from the tailpipe & a bit around the motor. So go back to start it again on video & just turned over. Not sure if I flooded it or what. I left it alone & figured I'd call tonight a win. I'll try to fire it up in the morning before I leave for work & will get it on video. I can say the exhaust isn't exactly subtle shades.gif

smilie_pokal.gif YOU WIN Jamie!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlhKZaQk860

The loud pump/gurgling is actually normal, at least in my car. You can hear it "charge" the fuel system for a few seconds, and sometimes it cycles fuel back in to the tank. My pump used to be VERY loud to the point where I thought there was something wrong with it, but it was just barely touching something under the tank in one spot that caused some reverb. Fixed that and it's a fairly quiet hum now but you can still hear it. You might not be able to over your exhaust biggrin.gif .
JRust
Tried to fire it up this morning with no luck. Only had a minute but I don't think I flooded it last night. I hear my fuel pump but almost wonder if I might have screwed it up the first little bit trying to start it without any fuel coming to it. My car turning over is acting just like it did before I opened the shut off valve I missed? I'll get back to screwing with it tonight hopefully.

My wife did send me a text this morning congratulating me on getting my car started. She get's up super early for work & I didn't see her. I realized I probably woke her up when I started it last night. Quickly apologized. She replied I thought it was thunder until I heard it rev happy11.gif . Our room is right above the garage lol-2.gif
JRust
Tried to start it but no joy. I hear the fuel pump but I don't think it is actually pressurizing the system. Pull the feed line to the motor after the pump & there was no pressure in the line. Fuel would pour from it just from gravity. While it wasn't running the fact there was no pressure in the line after just trying to start it. I believe the pump is my problem. Sound right?
dakotaewing
Did you possibly short / damage the pump on the initial start up?
Chris H.
What pump are you using? Walbro?
JRust
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Aug 29 2019, 06:19 AM) *

What pump are you using? Walbro?

Yeah
Amenson
Pull the pump and blow it out, could just be a chunk of random debris jamming it up. Also check any pre-pump filters/screens.
Chris H.
Definite possibility. Walbro is a pretty tough pump but you never know. You can stick the line securely into a gas can and then flip the key on. See if the pump runs and report back. BE CAREFUL man! It's early!
Costa05
Is it possible that the fuel pump polarity is off. Not sure if fuel pumps run in reverse when polarity is switched. Or maybe the fuel lines pressure side and return side hoses are flopped. Does not explain why it ran for a short period though. confused24.gif
Andyrew
QUOTE(JRust @ Aug 28 2019, 10:13 PM) *

Tried to start it but no joy. I hear the fuel pump but I don't think it is actually pressurizing the system. Pull the feed line to the motor after the pump & there was no pressure in the line. Fuel would pour from it just from gravity. While it wasn't running the fact there was no pressure in the line after just trying to start it. I believe the pump is my problem. Sound right?

Ya, the pump sounds wrong. Like its only getting a few volts. Check your power to the pump. Polarity could be an issue as well. They dont like being run wrong, and your sounds... bad... It should sound similar to my pump. Loud, high pitched, and obnoxious.
Chris H.
Here's what it should sound like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjz0Wm8xK5w

(focus on the pump whine, not the e-brake warning biggrin.gif )

JRust
Went to harbor freight & picked up a fuel pressure gauge. Put it after the pump between the pump & the motor. I still hear it when I turn the key but I get no pressure. Ordered a new pump finally. Should have just done it a week ago dry.gif
Andyrew
QUOTE(JRust @ Sep 5 2019, 08:27 PM) *

Went to harbor freight & picked up a fuel pressure gauge. Put it after the pump between the pump & the motor. I still hear it when I turn the key but I get no pressure. Ordered a new pump finally. Should have just done it a week ago dry.gif

I knew that pump sounded weird...

Also check your filters. I had some filters clog me up.
Chris914n6
QUOTE(JRust @ Sep 5 2019, 08:27 PM) *

Connect the fuel rail backwards? I did that once...

I also replaced my Walbro with a Bosch. The Walbro was LOUD, inconsistent pressure, kinda slow to build pressure, and got super hot. According to Walbro not a chinese fake.
Chris H.
Yeah that pump did not sound right. It's supposed to whine, not make that clicking chugging sound. Hopefully that's all it is.

I've had good luck with the Walbro so far. Never had any pressure problems, but if it's touching ANYTHING on the body directly it's loud as hell due to vibration. I put some insulation around mine and can't hear it when driving. What's the model # of the Bosch you used Chris?
JRust
Hell yes it's alive although she is smoking quite a bit piratenanner.gif Finally it's running video

Flipping hydraulic clutch cable spraying fluid everywhere. I've got no pedal I've just got to get my wife to come down & push the pedal so I can see where it is leaking from. SO I can't take it for a drive yet headbang.gif
dan10101
Yes Sir!!

Let it run a bit and see if it clears up. It usually does.
Most excellent!
ClayPerrine
Jamie,
Congrats on the startup. It sounds good. I read your thread, and your trials and tribulations sound like mine. Trust me, when you take it for the first drive after the conversion, you will realize it has all been worth it.

Again, congrats!

Clay
JRust
Got my clutch line fixed. Bled it but need to do it a bit more. Took it down to the gas station for some Non ethanol premium. Also have an oil leak above the header I need to find. It pops a fair amount. Next up is getting it to a DYNO for a tune. Hoping to do it this week
Andyrew
Magic number to beat is 288whp

tongue.gif wink.gif
Robarabian
QUOTE(JRust @ Sep 9 2019, 06:13 PM) *

Got my clutch line fixed. Bled it but need to do it a bit more. Took it down to the gas station for some Non ethanol premium. Also have an oil leak above the header I need to find. It pops a fair amount. Next up is getting it to a DYNO for a tune. Hoping to do it this week

Congrats!! Mine is scary at 220 hp. If you break 250 be real careful.
76-914
piratenanner.gif Fucking A Tweety. beerchug.gif You made it. I had complete confidence in you all the way, Jamie. Good on ya. driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif
pploco
Let me know your impressions of that Cobb 20G turbo - I've got the same one for my motor.

Definitely needs a tune. What map are you running now?
JRust
I'm dropping it by the Dyno shop tomorrow. They are going to work it in over the next 2 days biggrin.gif
JRust
QUOTE(pploco @ Sep 10 2019, 09:11 AM) *

Let me know your impressions of that Cobb 20G turbo - I've got the same one for my motor.

Definitely needs a tune. What map are you running now?

No idea the map I have I got from Outfront motorsports. They gave me a map to get it started basically. I gave them the specs of my build & they made a map for me. He made it clear I would need to get it to a Dyno for a real tune though. Dropped it off this morning. Am going to run by there before I head home today. They said they would give me a ring when they were ready to put it on the Dyno. Which now that it is after 2. I would assume will happen tomorrow. Update will come when I get one
JRust
Holy cow it's still at the shop. Every time he'd go to put it on the dyno they would find another problem. Car was getting to hot. I had made the mistake earlier when they were chasing leaks. It was leaking from around the water pump. It was leaking where the thermostat goes. In pulling that they noticed no thermostat & put one in. I said that was fine without remembering the thermostat just causing problems with the long lines we have to run. Got that taken back out & it stays under 210 with no problem. Fans kick on around 195 I think. Then stays around 200. Which I am great with. So they go to put it on the dyno again yesterday & I am having a super lean fuel issue in random spots. Looks like my fuel pump wires were loose. The other possibility is the fuel pump itself might be a problem. It was a new one I bought on amazon that was fairly cheap but had the right specs. Really I just bought it to rule out my original pump had failed. Apparently the one I bought has some reviews with the same symptoms it was having going lean. I'll find out today if he get's it back on the dyno & I still have a lean issue. Seems like I am have been right on the verge of having my car back running & driving for like 2 months headbang.gif .

I do still need to get a new cable from the gas pedal to the throttle. I have a stock cable but it isn't long enough with my new setup. It works but isn't great. Is there a stock cable that is longer than your standard 4 cyclinder? Does the six have a longer cable?
Andyrew
QUOTE(JRust @ Oct 4 2019, 08:52 AM) *

Holy cow it's still at the shop. Every time he'd go to put it on the dyno they would find another problem. Car was getting to hot. I had made the mistake earlier when they were chasing leaks. It was leaking from around the water pump. It was leaking where the thermostat goes. In pulling that they noticed no thermostat & put one in. I said that was fine without remembering the thermostat just causing problems with the long lines we have to run. Got that taken back out & it stays under 210 with no problem. Fans kick on around 195 I think. Then stays around 200. Which I am great with. So they go to put it on the dyno again yesterday & I am having a super lean fuel issue in random spots. Looks like my fuel pump wires were loose. The other possibility is the fuel pump itself might be a problem. It was a new one I bought on amazon that was fairly cheap but had the right specs. Really I just bought it to rule out my original pump had failed. Apparently the one I bought has some reviews with the same symptoms it was having going lean. I'll find out today if he get's it back on the dyno & I still have a lean issue. Seems like I am have been right on the verge of having my car back running & driving for like 2 months headbang.gif .

I do still need to get a new cable from the gas pedal to the throttle. I have a stock cable but it isn't long enough with my new setup. It works but isn't great. Is there a stock cable that is longer than your standard 4 cyclinder? Does the six have a longer cable?

Fuel delivery issues are no fun while tuning... sad.gif

Make sure your filters are not clogged. Plumb in a fuel pressure gauge.
mepstein
The six uses a bellcrank. Terry cable can make a custom length cable.
Chris914n6
IIRC 914rubber makes their own, if so they could likely build a one off to your specs, or to Suby swap specs if it's a pretty common problem.
Chris H.
QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 4 2019, 02:02 PM) *

The six uses a bellcrank. Terry cable can make a custom length cable.

Yes Terry Cable made mine. Just tell them how long you want it...they will include some barrel shaped cable stops if you ask. One of them will fit the Subaru throttle body.
JRust
Yeah fuel pump I bought was a piece of crap. It is cutting out just like a few of the comments on it. Which I didn't bother to read when I bought it. I really did consider it a temporary pump so no biggie. So have a Walbro coming
76-914
Hang in there Jamie. At least you can see the light at the end of the tunnel. beerchug.gif
Chris H.
Yeah I'm glad that wasn't a Walbro pump because it didn't sound healthy in the startup video. Sounded way too strained. Should just have a slight whine like a toned-down or muffled 914 seat belt warning. Fingers crossed you should be all set now.
burton73
Jamie my brother,

Your car really looks great. Paint is excellent in the videos. I hope you get it totally worked out soon. You deserve this bad boy to run well for you.

Best, Bob B

driving-girl.gif bye1.gif
JRust
Okay New walbro pump installed. No more random super lean. Car is finally ready for it's Dyno tune. All strapped in place & supposed to get its tune in the morning. Just holding my breath no other problems arise. Hopefully I will be posting my Dyno numbers tomorrow
dan10101
QUOTE(JRust @ Oct 8 2019, 08:16 PM) *

Okay New walbro pump installed. No more random super lean. Car is finally ready for it's Dyno tune. All strapped in place & supposed to get its tune in the morning. Just holding my breath no other problems arise. Hopefully I will be posting my Dyno numbers tomorrow

We'll be waiting for some more good news!
ravenna914.jpg
Robarabian
Man this is an on pins and needles thread now!! I can't wait to hear the results!
TravisNeff
popcorn[1].gif
dan10101
Dyno numbers are like crack... shades.gif
JRust
QUOTE(dan10101 @ Oct 9 2019, 11:26 AM) *

Dyno numbers are like crack... shades.gif

Damn I didn't get them today. Had some spark issue. Think it fouled a plug. Nothing major but I was super busy with work. I didn't get down there like I had planned. I'll head down in the morning to see. I didn't get a call saying he was done either.
JRust
Okay more fuel issues. I've got some kind of restriction up front. Not sure if the line is kinked from the tank to the SS fuel lines. Or I have something floating in the tank/filter. Pulling the tank in the morning to figure it out mad.gif . With it being so inconsistent I am thinking it is a partial clog or something floating in the filter. So is fine for a while then cuts out as it clogs it. Then when no pressure moves off? Makes the most sense to me anyway. So still don't have my numbers confused24.gif

Andy (Dyno tune guy) is pretty confident I should have 330ish to the wheels. If I were to go a little crazy with e85 race gas I could hit mid 400's with a little different tune WTF.gif . Next up for me is finding a Limited Slip for my tranny. They recommended the OBX with updated hardware. Best bang for the buck & very solid with the updated hardware. Still hoping to get it back tomorrow with the tune done.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.