Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My 73 Suby drivetrain conversion upgrade!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
JRust
Well haven't seen a lot of progress though plenty has been happening. Here is a picture of my motor finally coming together. With the intake flipped the ac compressor wouldn't fit. Added some risers to the intake to make space. Upgraded my turbo & Fuel injectors. Relocated the turbo to the stock subaru location. Cut out more of my trunk for the turbo relocation. Everything has been long & drawn out. Not to mention expensive. Didn't intend to have so much work done by my wrench. Just changed so many things once I left it there. Mike does good work so in the long run it will be worth it. It will definitely end up much nicer than if I had done all the work myself.

I haven't updated this in a while & this isn't much of one.
76-914
I was just wondering how the car was coming along! Maybe I'll see it at Rt66 2019? Nice looking engine. beerchug.gif
914forme
Yeh I can't say anything about car progress confused24.gif

As far as the cradle goes I guess for guys that can't weld or don't wish to "screw up" a car it is a good idea.

I still think it would be a lot easier to make a front bar, engine mount, and then rear trans hangers. Could always build (sell) a cradle to hold the engine and trans combo. Like Scott and I have done. Both of us have different engine setup and different requirements. If you need a skid plate make it so one can be bolted on. The VW TDI guys install Panzer plates. Thick Al plates that have saved me a few times, you can see the strikes they have taken.

I have never played around with one of the newer 4 or 6 engines in a 914. I would be in to design the mounts, build and sell the mounts. the above design also makes the mount shipping friendly. I'll start a new thread, and check with a couple of consultants on the logistics of a few key components.

Sorry for the HiJack Jamie this car is to nice not to be on the road poke.gif
JRust
I actually looked at my car today. Took a few pictures of my motor. Supposed to go back in tomorrow to get the exhaust fabbed. The AC unit is a little ugly & the alternator will fit int he middle but only with a smaller belt. Adding the risers to the intake did the trick to fit the AC unit & alternator though. The rest of the AC will be on hold though. I'll be to damn poor to do anything extra. I just want to drive it again. Took a couple pics of my cold water cradle that I had modified so my axels would line up how I want. Basically the motor mounts needed moved back 2".
TravisNeff
Looking good Jamie!
mgp4591
It's looking really good! biggrin.gif
Is that an Unorthodox pulley in front? I've heard some good things about those but haven't made up my mind to use one yet... But that cradle is looking great as do the details on the engine!
JRust
QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Aug 1 2018, 02:28 AM) *

It's looking really good! biggrin.gif
Is that an Unorthodox pulley in front? I've heard some good things about those but haven't made up my mind to use one yet... But that cradle is looking great as do the details on the engine!

I'll find out for you Mike. I'm not sure on the pulley
flmont
Jamie,...whats your projected power output,.??
JRust
QUOTE(flmont @ Aug 2 2018, 08:25 PM) *

Jamie,...whats your projected power output,.??

My wrench is pretty confident we'll pull 350 without full boost. Up to 400 pretty safely without any motor issues. We'll see how it all turns out though. Until its done & on the dyno to get tuned. I'll believe it when I see it huh.gif . At this point I just want my 914 to run LOL!
flmont
That's Great and yes I understand all to well about the time it takes to pull things together,..starting back on mine this weekend ,.
JRust
Motor is back in. Next up getting the exhaust built. I also need to build a cap for the hole in my trunk. Planning to tie in my rear suspension towers with a cross bar. Then having my cap possible attach to it.
76-914
Looks great Jamie. Is that trans hanger suppose to fit above or below the engine cradle? I see your axles are centered with the wheels. How did they line up before you modified the cold water cradle? beerchug.gif
JRust
QUOTE(76-914 @ Aug 5 2018, 05:10 PM) *

Looks great Jamie. Is that trans hanger suppose to fit above or below the engine cradle? I see your axles are centered with the wheels. How did they line up before you modified the cold water cradle? beerchug.gif

Before I modified it they were to far forward. One of the things I gave no thought to when it came to cradles. MY last setup they were basically in line. Knowing some of the suby guys blowing out their suby CV's. I know the extra angle was just going to make that more likely. I'm hoping with them lined up it will be okay. Surprising how much difference 2" can make with the CV angle
TravisNeff
Great to see this coming together Jamie!
76-914
QUOTE(JRust @ Aug 5 2018, 06:04 PM) *

QUOTE(76-914 @ Aug 5 2018, 05:10 PM) *

Before I modified it they were to far forward. One of the things I gave no thought to when it came to cradles. MY last setup they were basically in line. Knowing some of the suby guys blowing out their suby CV's. I know the extra angle was just going to make that more likely. I'm hoping with them lined up it will be okay. Surprising how much difference 2" can make with the CV angle

I have no way of knowing this but I suspect that you are correct. MY 1/2 shafts are centered front/back and up/down. I've never had one pop out. I drove the crap out of it the 1st year but since I drive like an old lady. I'm happy for you and glad to see you'll be back in the saddle soon. Give me a call next year when you get around to adding the AC. beerchug.gif Kent
76-914
Duplicate
JRust
QUOTE(76-914 @ Aug 5 2018, 08:28 PM) *

I have no way of knowing this but I suspect that you are correct. MY 1/2 shafts are centered front/back and up/down. I've never had one pop out. I drove the crap out of it the 1st year but since I drive like an old lady. I'm happy for you and glad to see you'll be back in the saddle soon. Give me a call next year when you get around to adding the AC. beerchug.gif Kent

The a/c is a bit of a head scratcher. My Stinger ECU does not have a way to run it. Another oversight on my part dry.gif . At some point it means probably going back to a Stock ECU & wiring harness modified to work. Then a Cobb port. Wish I had gone that route anyway. Would have been much easier to get my tune & have multiple versions. For now I plan to enjoy it for a while before I decide to upgrade it confused24.gif
LanceW3544
This is my dream swap. Please learn all the tricks and pass them along. I will be watching this thread for sure smile.gif Good luck
76-914
QUOTE(JRust @ Aug 5 2018, 09:03 PM) *

QUOTE(76-914 @ Aug 5 2018, 08:28 PM) *

The a/c is a bit of a head scratcher. My Stinger ECU does not have a way to run it. Another oversight on my part dry.gif . At some point it means probably going back to a Stock ECU & wiring harness modified to work. Then a Cobb port. Wish I had gone that route anyway. Would have been much easier to get my tune & have multiple versions. For now I plan to enjoy it for a while before I decide to upgrade it confused24.gif

If your Stinger can control your idle speed your good to go. All the factory ECU does is raise the idle speed when your running the AC!
JRust
QUOTE(76-914 @ Aug 6 2018, 06:56 AM) *

If your Stinger can control your idle speed your good to go. All the factory ECU does is raise the idle speed when your running the AC!

Yeah just don't think there is a provision in there for that. I hope so but my wrench didn't think there was
914forme
agree.gif

All you need is a way to bump the idle speed when switch is engaged.

In the old days it was done with a bit of extra air in a bypass the throttle plate.
Coastal6
Looks great!
Chris914n6
QUOTE(JRust @ Aug 6 2018, 09:15 AM) *

QUOTE(76-914 @ Aug 6 2018, 06:56 AM) *

Yeah just don't think there is a provision in there for that. I hope so but my wrench didn't think there was

You should still have the power steering circuit, same concept.

Or, it's usually just a solenoid allowing more air in. You can wire it to the A/C switch.

Modern cars will cut the comp at higher rpms & heavy on the pedal. So basically good to have but not necessary for use.
JRust
On my trunk cut out. What do you guys think about framing basically a rectangle that is boxed. So it would be a bar across the top tying the strut towers together. As well as one along the bottom but where my cut is that also connect the strut towers just lower. Then small bars on each strut tower tying both the upper & lower bars. Which leaves me with a fairly easy plate to cap it all. I think structurally this will strengthen things. As well a be nice & clean
Andyrew
Your trunk notch plan is essentially what I was thinking. Just extending the shock tower area into the trunk giving that room to the engine bay.

I think it's a very clean idea, especially if you get fancy with some bumps like the factory. It could look completely stock.
914forme

McMark did one with trunk sections matched up perfectly and looked drooley.gif
JRust
My trunk coming together. Will stiffen things up nicely. Plus make an easily removable plate. Wasn't expecting the fab guy to ad the rounded plates around the shock tower. Sure makes it look better
914forme
Wow Jamie showing some fabrication skills, I like shades.gif
Andyrew
I like it! Not what I had in mind personally but now you got me thinking!!
76-914
Getting serious, huh? Looks good. beerchug.gif
JRust
QUOTE(914forme @ Aug 25 2018, 04:02 AM) *

Those aren't my skills. I wish they were mine. I have not done any welding. I plan to take a night class one of these days. Just hasn't worked out yet. This year sometime I am sure I'll can get in for a class.

I'll try to get some pics of my exhaust. I think this sucker is going to be pretty loud. Just so tight a space my muffler is pretty damn short. Added a small resonator as well so hoping it isn't to obnoxious. I really wanted more the sleeper setup. I can always change it around later.

I also need to get the 3 sensors from my speed hut gauges. Another thing I sent off with my last drivetrain headbang.gif . I'll give Speedhut a call on Monday. My damn intercooler is the last thing. One I bought is just a touch to big. The perfect size doesn't seem to exist.
mgp4591
If you're planning on driving to RRC, I'd really like to see your work as would others I'm sure! I've got some exhaust ideas for you too... smilie_pokal.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(JRust @ Aug 24 2018, 08:26 PM) *

My trunk coming together. Will stiffen things up nicely. Plus make an easily removable plate. Wasn't expecting the fab guy to ad the rounded plates around the shock tower. Sure makes it look better

I’m hoping Scott Amerson can do something similar with mine. Doesn’t have to be stock but better than what the PO did. headbang.gif
JRust
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 25 2018, 01:50 PM) *

I’m hoping Scott Amerson can do something similar with mine. Doesn’t have to be stock but better than what the PO did. headbang.gif

Holy hack job! Yeah I am going to be happy with mine when it's done. Just wish I already had it. This has taken so long. I am hoping to make Red Rocks but am really worried it isn't going to happen. My timeline is really short. Wit the final step of getting it on a Dyno & getting a Tune. At this point with all my changes. I don't know if the Tune I got from Outfront will even start my car. So really need to get it to the Tuner & on the Dyno. Everyone keep your fingers crossed for me confused24.gif
914forme
QUOTE(JRust @ Aug 25 2018, 11:16 AM) *

QUOTE(914forme @ Aug 25 2018, 04:02 AM) *

Those aren't my skills. I wish they were mine. I have not done any welding. I plan to take a night class one of these days. Just hasn't worked out yet. This year sometime I am sure I'll can get in for a class.

I'll try to get some pics of my exhaust. I think this sucker is going to be pretty loud. Just so tight a space my muffler is pretty damn short. Added a small resonator as well so hoping it isn't to obnoxious. I really wanted more the sleeper setup. I can always change it around later.

I also need to get the 3 sensors from my speed hut gauges. Another thing I sent off with my last drivetrain headbang.gif . I'll give Speedhut a call on Monday. My damn intercooler is the last thing. One I bought is just a touch to big. The perfect size doesn't seem to exist.

Get to a class, nothing is better than melting metal to make one, and more frustrating. Maybe Golf dry.gif

Mufflers are pretty easy to add, lucky a snail do tend to knock a bit of the engine noise down.

Yeah Speedhut should be understandable, I have some new in box if your in need and they are going to give you the long road to ship. You'll get to drive before I do. And then you can just replace the ones you need, back to me.

BTW the perfect size IC does exist it is just not in the format you are using. Air to Water solves your problem. poke.gif
JRust
QUOTE(914forme @ Aug 25 2018, 03:33 PM) *

Yeah Speedhut should be understandable, I have some new in box if your in need and they are going to give you the long road to ship. You'll get to drive before I do. And then you can just replace the ones you need, back to me.

BTW the perfect size IC does exist it is just not in the format you are using. Air to Water solves your problem. poke.gif

I only stuck with a straight Air cooler to start with. I think I'll end up with air to water down the road. Just wasn't sure how much space I'd have & the thought od adding more piping in my engine bay just didn't sound like a good idea. Last thing I want to do is change anything now. Seems like every change I have made has cost me a month sad.gif
JRust
I was by the shop today. Here is my Exhaust which didn't have enough room for the resonator dry.gif . I don't think I will be sneaking up on anyone.

I also took one with it outside. Good to see the stance with everything in place. Well most the weight anyway. Still have the intercooler to finish
mgp4591
Looking great Jamie! Only days to go, get that stuff done and tuned up! popcorn[1].gif
JRust
My exhaust ceramic coated
76-914
shocked[1].gif
Andyrew
How much was the ceramic coating? Sure looks good!
JRust
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Sep 11 2018, 09:24 PM) *

How much was the ceramic coating? Sure looks good!

At this point I didn't even ask dry.gif

I will find out when I get my bill
effutuo101
Looking good Jamie!
Coastal6
Great looking muffler Jamie.
I’m sure the neighbors will love it also biggrin.gif
JRust
At the shop today. Flipping fabricator does great work but went totally off the rails with my intercooler. Pulled it back from him this morning. Guy had it 2 weeks & made the mount completely wrong. Not how I wanted it done at all. He did great work for my trunk cutout. Boxing it in & getting a plate made for it. That will be getting paint this following week. Just going to have to get someone else to make a mount for my intercooler where I want it. Just under my GT lid at the top. Not where it is currently mounted dry.gif
914forme
confused24.gif All you need to do is cut a hole in the firewall, add a tube section thru the car and out the passenger side head light bucket.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I see no issue with making that work. confused24.gif Pictures taken from Jan-Feb 1978 Issue of VW Greats

Sorry to see the plan was not executed to the envisioned design. Might be able to salvage the mount and move it up and over as the basis for the proper location and design.
Andyrew
Great work on the trunk!

Some people though..... Concepts just go right over their head!
mgp4591
It's looking great Jamie.... except for that whole airflow thing through the intercooler... blink.gif
Amenson
Not a terrible place to put a water/air intercooler. confused24.gif
Andyrew
QUOTE(Amenson @ Sep 25 2018, 04:57 PM) *

Not a terrible place to put a water/air intercooler. confused24.gif

agree.gif

With your power level you can get away with the small one too!!!

(Not saying your not going to make a lot of power, just that you don't need a massive 700hp core...)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.