Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 score of the Century
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
My 914
Hate to hear news like that. Any idea of how it happened with all the work being done?
dcheek
Here is a picture of the spark plug. Obviously something got sucked in there and damaged the tip. While every effort was made for this not to happen, unfortunately it did. There was 5 years of tree droppings deposited on the car. It's amazing this is the only cylinder that was damaged.
Click to view attachment
JmuRiz
Kablamo thanks to an acorn or something. Should be a simple fix (fingers crossed) or you can just dump that lemon and sell it to me cheap biggrin.gif
Rand
"Something got sucked in?" No air filters? WTH? How does this happen? What do you mean by "every effort was made for this not to happen?"

Sorry if my tone is harsh, but dang. This poor beautiful car has been so poorly treated it's heartbreaking.
rhodyguy
A velocity stack nut or washer bomb. Given the price, there's plenty of room for fixes.
sixnotfour
Remember he had a shop clean the carbs
rhodyguy
What are the odds the piston isn't ruined? Or the cyl? Or the head?
JmuRiz
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Sep 20 2017, 09:12 AM) *

A velocity stack nut or washer bomb. Given the price, there's plenty of room for fixes.

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Sep 20 2017, 10:29 AM) *

Remember he had a shop clean the carbs

Yikes, that's more likely. Shame when someone 'fixes' something and does more harm.

I remember when we finally sold our '77 Malibu Classic Wagon after owning it for 30 years to a kid. He had a shop "give it a tune up" and it burned up w/in a week.
mb911
I have dropped my fair share of washers etc over the years down intakes.. Somewhere someone didn't do a count when it was time to put back together.. It happens just unfortunate..
Rand
Ouch. If that's what happened, doesn't the shop have some liability?
dcheek
Don't shoot the messenger.
I'm just telling the story.
As far as who is at fault? The PO, the current owner, the mechanic? Who knows. Who cares? Damage done - time to move on. Lesson learned - you can never be too careful.
Dave

Engine out
Click to view attachment
JmuRiz
Yep, $h1t happens.
Stuff backs out all the time, my brother had some nuts back out and juuuuust miss going into the valvetrain on his 930. I had a carb bolt backout and luckily not get sucked into my 356 intake. For every one that gets down there there are probably 5 that just miss.

Hopefully it's not too bad and only needs a new plug, valve (or two) and maybe a piston.
dcheek
Damage to the piston.
Click to view attachment
DM_2000
With even coverage like that, this engine was run for a very long time. Like thousands of miles.

raynekat
QUOTE(DM_2000 @ Sep 29 2017, 03:05 PM) *

With even coverage like that, this engine was run for a very long time. Like thousands of miles.

I'd agree, this has happened over a long period of time.

SirAndy
QUOTE(dcheek @ Sep 29 2017, 02:52 PM) *
Damage to the piston.

huh.gif
mb911
Whoa not good..
porschetub
Funny that it went this long,OP must have changed the plug and not worried about it,surely someone would have noticed it running on 5 cylinders...they don't run real nice ,ask me how I know after leaving a lead off one spark plug sad.gif .
Time to find another piston if the bore isn't stromberg.gif .
jd74914
Did you find a piece of something in there? That looks like extreme detonation damage.
DM_2000
Detonation damage would burn away the edge of the piston / ground strap of the spark plug.

I once repaired a Buick V6 that burned only one piston. Two spark plug wires that were next to each other in the firing order were arcing to each other. I forget what cylinder but with a 1 6 5 4 3 2 firing order, when 6 arcs to 5 , the ignition timing to 5 is way early.

Were all the spark plugs same brand / number? The previous owner may have been feeding it plugs. A different brand would reinforce this.

I've repaired countless engines over many brands, this damage didn't just happen yesterday.
dcheek
Nothing was found in the cylinder.
All plugs were the same brand.
Replacing the one cylinder, piston and valves on #5.
All other pistons and cylinders okay.
Dave
Click to view attachment
DM_2000
Whatever was in the cylinder escaped shortly before tear down or fell out during tear down. Detonation won't cause the ground strap to bend.
porschetub
Finally got chewed up enough and passed out the exhaust,don't believe it is a recent thing,reason such a cool car got parked up,it must of sounded really horrible running surely.
dcheek
While the motor is out, painted the engine compartment. I love the look of the fresh Phoenix Red single stage.
Click to view attachment
Dave
JmuRiz
beer.gif
iwanta914-6
Can't believe I missed this story when it was originally posted. I just read through it all and am amazed.

Guessing the PO parked it under the tree because of it running on 5 cylinders and didn't wan't to put the effort into fixing it.

Regardless of this "problem", you could invest $10K into this car and would still be a steal of a deal. Extremely jealous of the new owner, a bit sad for the original owner who would love to buy it back, RIP to the previous owner, and very happy to see the car getting another chance at life.

Thanks for sharing this story!
dcheek
QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Dec 13 2017, 09:07 AM) *

Can't believe I missed this story when it was originally posted. I just read through it all and am amazed.

Guessing the PO parked it under the tree because of it running on 5 cylinders and didn't wan't to put the effort into fixing it.

Regardless of this "problem", you could invest $10K into this car and would still be a steal of a deal. Extremely jealous of the new owner, a bit sad for the original owner who would love to buy it back, RIP to the previous owner, and very happy to see the car getting another chance at life.

Thanks for sharing this story!

Just to be clear, to those who just tuned in, I'm not the owner of this car. I'm posting the story for a friend I met through the local VW club. If you think this is a deal he recently purchased a 71 911 T from the original owner that was parked in the garage since the '90s. for high 4 figures. It needs paint but, it's all there and very little rust, engine turns and the interior just needs to be cleaned up.

So, you must be wondering how he is so lucky to find bargains like this? He's owns a landscaping company with accounts in several towns. Sometimes the homeowner has the garage door open, or the subject of cars comes up, and before you know it, there's an opportunity to purchase something. I know a mailman that has had luck scoring great items that would otherwise never see the light of day. It's the old "being at the right place at the right time."

Dave
Justinp71
I remember seeing the build threads on this car here. Cool car for sure, glad at least it made it back onto the board.

On a separate but related note, I'm always worried about dropping stuff in the oil tank filler. Anything that goes in there circulates thru the engine first before going into a screen... I know on the 3.6 they replace the oil cooler with a filter, but has anyone ever put a screen on the oil filler neck?
dcheek
Well, this project has taken a complete 180ยบ turn.
The original plan was to find out the history, which we did through this forum. Thanks all (especially the PO) for all the information regarding this build. Then the plan was to get it sorted mechanically and drive. You can toss that out the window. Since there was a major engine problem which required removal, the project has shifted to "as long as I'm in there I might as well........"

The following has been done while the motor and trans were out:
- Clean and paint engine tin
- Sort out wiring in engine compartment. Re-wrap harness
- Paint engine compartment
- Paint rear trunk

Future projects:
- Install new rubber where needed
- Install engine and trans
- Strip front and rear deck lids
- Fix rust on driver's side fender
- Prep entire body for paint
- Paint entire car.

There is nothing as satisfying as seeing fresh paint, especially Phoenix Red. By the way he is using single stage paint for this project.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
mb911
I still am considering that red for my car.. It is a very nice color..
dcheek
QUOTE(mb911 @ Dec 19 2017, 06:02 AM) *

I still am considering that red for my car.. It is a very nice color..

Phoenix red is more orange than red.
Tangerine is more red than orange.

Both colors are awesome on a 914.

Dave
dcheek
More progress this week:

#5 cylinder repair complete
Click to view attachment

Carbs rebuilt and ready to install
Click to view attachment
Dave
dcheek
Engine back in today.

Getting ready to fire up.
Click to view attachment
rhodyguy
Looking swell. I think the owner is going to really enjoy the car once the power is back.
dcheek
Now on to the bodywork.

Stripping the rear deck lid.
Click to view attachment
PeeGreen 914
This is all coming along very nice. I am happy to see this car coming back to life like this. piratenanner.gif
dcheek
Work continues on prep of body for paint:
Click to view attachment
All the flair seams were cracked. Re-fiberglassed to reinforce before painting.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Oops, found some more rot. Order replacement and will weld in.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
50 degrees today and sunny. Rolled it out to get a better look.
Click to view attachment

dcheek
Windshield out
Click to view attachment
Larmo63
You should weld up the warts on the front of this car. They don't look right on a flared car AT ALL. barf.gif

Carry on.
dcheek
Paint prep/bodywork continues:
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
jmitro
looks nice; I don't really like the front warts either but just my opinion
dcheek
QUOTE(jmitro @ Feb 1 2018, 05:00 AM) *

looks nice; I don't really like the front warts either but just my opinion

Please indicate what you are referring to.

Dave
Chris H.
The side markers are referred to as "warts".

Car is really coming along!
dcheek
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Feb 1 2018, 06:20 AM) *

The side markers are referred to as "warts".

Car is really coming along!

Hmmmm, I will approach the subject with my buddy. My gut feeling is that they will stay but, we will see.

Dave
Rand
Lose the warts please! Nobody wants a wart on their face, hence the name for those lights around here. If you have to ask, your gut isn't trustworthy! Would you like some kimchi? A tasty probiotic. rolleyes.gif
(just poking fun poke.gif but... )
PeeGreen 914
With all the work he's doing he should get rid of them. They are not on any of the original GT's and they do look off.
dcheek
QUOTE(PeeGreen 914 @ Feb 2 2018, 05:09 PM) *

With all the work he's doing he should get rid of them. They are not on any of the original GT's and they do look off.

Point well taken.

Dave
Dave_Darling
I think they may have been retained on (some of?) the M471 street cars destined for the US, though. There's a photo of one in Brett Johnson's book, I believe. The light is moved forward and down, as the original location is now part of the flare.

--DD
dcheek
Rollbar installed.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.