Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OKTEENERFEST 2017 - Sept. 14-17
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
naro914
the amount of prizes the vendors provide is astounding! Thanks all!!

Now...the amount that actually MAKE it to the event...we'll..that's another story. :-)
Mblizzard
QUOTE(naro914 @ Jul 17 2017, 10:33 AM) *

the amount of prizes the vendors provide is astounding! Thanks all!!

Now...the amount that actually MAKE it to the event...we'll..that's another story. :-)

I can neither confirm or deny the prizes that make it to the event! Actually one year I left a prize at my house. Fourtantly my wife was able to bring it to the event.
DrinkMan
Will there be an "day of event" registration opportunities? We live close by but there is a lot of uncertainty if we can make it. We won't know until the last minute and then we would just commute to the events.
Mblizzard
Wow have to say a big thanks to Mark Taylor and Stoddard as they have stepped up BIG time to be the overall event sponsor! This represents a massive vote of support for the 914, the dream all of us try to keep going, and Okteenerfest!

Having the support of Stoddard at this level takes us to a new level and should allow for some amazing event options. Got to support these guys as they are supporting us in a huge way!
Click to view attachment

poorsche914
We have reached 90 registered attendees cheer.gif

Below is a complete list of current sponsors and their generous donations...

Stoddard – Event Sponsor
LN Engineering – Type 4 Deluxe DTM kit
Raby’s Aircooled Technology – Friday lunch at Aircooled Heaven
914 Rubber – Lots and lots of stuff for your 914
Bruce Stone – Rebuilt pedal cluster
Tim’s Gauges – Custom LED gauge set
AASE Sales – Gift Certificates and 914 parts
Dakota Digital – CHT
Restoration Design
PMB Performance – Front and rear calipers
Pirelli Tire LLC – Pirelli-branded giveaway items; Event lanyards, goody bags, banners
Sierra Madre Collection – Goodies for all
Cleaning Systems Inc – Samples of Bug Goo and Release Degreaser
Sub Level 27 – Custom laser-engraved 914 items
Vintage Car LEDs – VC5000 Light kit
MSDS Inc. – High flow air intake system
Maddogs Motor Sports – Front sway bar stiffening kit; early rear sway bar mount kit; 2 shim pack (one of each 2mm, 3mm, 4mm); heater block off kit
Mike “Dr. Evil” Lesniak – $500 OFF transmission rebuild
Driven Racing Oil – Oil discounts
Perry Kiehl – Service cover
Stuttgart DNA
Zymol

And the most recent... Porsche blink.gif aktion035.gif

driving.gif
DRPHIL914
really? Porsche? cool!
Mblizzard
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Jul 19 2017, 05:26 PM) *

really? Porsche? cool!

Real long shot but they thought what we were doing with Helen, Oktoberfest, and Okteenerfest was pretty cool.
Mblizzard
Calipers Anyone?

PMB is providing Front and Rear calipers for a lucky winner.

The peace of mind you have using PMB products is worth far more that the $600+ value of this package. But beside working flawlessly PMB products are almost works of art!

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Mblizzard
Mr Perry Kiehl is also helping us out this year by providing us a service cover. I am trying to twist his arm to provide us some of his extra special 914 Umbrella Covers using his new softer material for sale at the event.

I will keep you posted if we can work it out!
Mblizzard
Some goodies from Driven. My preferred oil. Others will not agree but I like the 10W-40 as it rarely gets extremely cold here.Click to view attachment
mgp4591
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Jul 25 2017, 11:21 AM) *

Calipers Anyone?

The peace of mind you have using PMB products is worth far more that the $600+ value of this package. But beside working flawlessly PMB products are almost works of art!

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

I'd be more than happy to, ahem, shuttle these beauties out in my luggage... but if I did, you might not see me! C'mon Eric, whaddya say?!
IronHillRestorations
Booked! Won't be in a 914 though, we'll have to schlep at the back of the pack with the other non 914's driving.gif
Wdunster
This is a judge free zone. We will love having you around anyway brother!!!!

QUOTE(Perry Kiehl @ Jul 26 2017, 01:48 PM) *

Booked! Won't be in a 914 though, we'll have to schlep at the back of the pack with the other non 914's driving.gif
IronHillRestorations
I judge not! biggrin.gif Especially since we won't be coming in a 914 blink.gif

It's a special anniversary weekend for us, and we'll be happy to hang out, relax, and meet some folks.

QUOTE(Wdunster @ Jul 26 2017, 07:01 PM) *

This is a judge free zone. We will love having you around anyway brother!!!!

QUOTE(Perry Kiehl @ Jul 26 2017, 01:48 PM) *

naro914
Just a reminder...and those of you that get the emails will get one probably tomorrow....

The block of rooms we are holding at the Helendorf will be released on TUESDAY AUGUST 1!!

This means that you WILL NOT be able to get a room at the host hotel after Monday July 31. And for those that think they can get a much cheaper room somewhere else....good luck. I'm sure they are out there, (I think the Econo Lodge has a few smoking rooms left) but remember, this is during their Oktoberfest celebration so rooms are expensive...

i understand that for some people it's difficult to plan and commit this far ahead, and we're sorry about that. (In fact, the hotel wanted to drop the block a full 2 months in advance of the event!! I had to plead with them to push it to Aug 1...). But we wanted to bring Okteenerfest to a completely different type of location - one that has other fun things to do for everyone and is more of a destination unto itself. Trust me, it has certainly been challenging on the planning side with a ton of still unresolved issues, but hopefully it'll all get worked out in time... smile.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MO4LpUzroB4
BENBRO02
QUOTE(BENBRO02 @ May 24 2017, 09:50 PM) *

Registration Sent, room reserved, 914 in the shop.

Starting to get nervous about having the car ready in time. Wiring and fuel injection issues that 2 shops didn't fix in 4 1/2 months. The car is heading to Skyline Auto Restoration in Madison, Virginia and hopefully it will be ready in time. If I show up in my Miata will I be shunned?
mepstein
QUOTE(BENBRO02 @ Jul 29 2017, 06:31 PM) *

Starting to get nervous about having the car ready in time. Wiring and fuel injection issues that 2 shops didn't fix in 4 1/2 months. The car is heading to Skyline Auto Restoration in Madison, Virginia and hopefully it will be ready in time. If I show up in my Miata will I be shunned?

I showed up last year in a rental car. I had a blast!
naro914

Shunned? No. Made fun of? Of course!!
We didn't have our 914 one year either...and we RUN this thing!!
BENBRO02
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 29 2017, 06:32 PM) *

beer.gif
mgp4591
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 29 2017, 04:32 PM) *

Me too! There's always a seat available with someone so you'll see more than the drivers do at times - just not holding on to the steering wheel... driving.gif
Mblizzard
QUOTE(BENBRO02 @ Jul 29 2017, 02:31 PM) *

Just show up! it is fun even if you car is not there. Just got my off jack stands last night! So I have a few concerns as well. While you might take some grief for the Miata it would be nothing compared to what I would have to endure if I have to ride shotgun in my wife's Boxster!
IronHillRestorations
You might tell yourself, next year I really want to bring a 914, but you WON'T say "I shouldn't have gone without a 914" smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(Perry Kiehl @ Jul 31 2017, 01:25 PM) *

You might tell yourself, next year I really want to bring a 914, but you WON'T say "I shouldn't have gone without a 914" smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif

I almost bagged out last year. So glad I didnt. One of the best events ever. Even told my wife she should come this year but she cant since she is needed at her work.

The drive is just 10% of the event. Its great but so is the other 90%.
Tom_T
QUOTE(BENBRO02 @ Jul 29 2017, 03:31 PM) *

Go with the Miata if the 914 isn't ready - as it's a great fun car on the twisties too! driving.gif driving-girl.gif driving-girl.gif piratenanner.gif

Also, going to it & seeing all the nice 914s there .... maybe grabbing some seat time L or R .... may also motivate your project.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Betty
QUOTE(BENBRO02 @ Jul 29 2017, 05:31 PM) *

If I show up in my Miata will I be shunned?

Heck no! I got my butt kicked many times by Miata's when I was running SCCA autocross. Besides... if it's stressing you out too much, a little blue painters tape that won't hurt your paint job, a few minutes of work and VOILA! it can have a 914 emblem on it too! cheer.gif happy11.gif lol-2.gif

To quote a very famous 914 guy...

"I can't be an elitist - I drive a 914".
~ Lawrence (Rusty) Bonkowski

Betty
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Jul 25 2017, 12:21 PM) *

Calipers Anyone?

Click to view attachment

What do you mean "almost works of art"?!?! If they weren't so darn heavy I'd wear them as earrings! first.gif

poorsche914
My first 914 event I didn't have a running 914... drove a Honda Civic dry.gif
But... first day, I was given a 914 to drive. Her name was Christine. Thanks, Don aktion035.gif
Second day... I rode shotgun in a 916 w00t.gif
Doesn't really matter "how" you get there... just get there. The rest will sort itself out.

driving.gif
poorsche914
We've had a registration blitz the past couple days and have surpassed the 100 attendee mark cheer.gif
Looks like we'll have at least FIFTY-NINE 914s at the event. piratenanner.gif
We currently have TWENTY-EIGHT sponsors/vendors donating some truly awesome door prizes, goodie bag items, etc. aktion035.gif

As Bob mentioned in a previous thread, any rooms left in our block will be released tomorrow. So if you haven't booked a room yet... DO IT!!! poke.gif

driving.gif
Mblizzard
QUOTE(Betty @ Jul 31 2017, 05:14 PM) *

QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Jul 25 2017, 12:21 PM) *

Calipers Anyone?

Click to view attachment

What do you mean "almost works of art"?!?! If they weren't so darn heavy I'd wear them as earrings! first.gif

I bet Clay would be all over you if you did! Ok I definitely chat you up a bit as well!
Mblizzard
As I will be calling for all members to support the sponsors of all 914 events, I also encourage you to stay away from those vendors that have spurned the 914. The lack of a certain avian oriented vendor should be noted by all.
poorsche914
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Aug 2 2017, 08:39 PM) *
As I will be calling for all members to support the sponsors of all 914 events, I also encourage you to stay away from those vendors that have spurned the he 914. The lack of a certain avian oriented vendor should be noted by all.

These vendors SUPPORT Okteenerfest and the 914. The majority have supported Okteenerfest from the beginning. aktion035.gif

Stoddard - Event Sponsor
LN Engineering - Type 4 Deluxe DTM kit
Raby's Aircooled Technology - Friday lunch at Aircooled Heaven
914 Rubber - Lots and lots of stuff for your 914
Bruce Stone - Rebuilt pedal cluster
Tim's Gauges - Custom LED gauge set
AASE Sales - Gift Certificates and 914 parts
Dakota Digital - CHT
Restoration Design - TBD
PMB Performance - Front and rear calipers
Pirelli Tire LLC - Pirelli-branded giveaway items; Event lanyards, goody bags, banners
Sierra Madre Collection - Goodies for all
Cleaning Systems Inc - Samples of Bug Goo and Release Degreaser
Sub Level 27 - Custom laser-engraved 914 items
Vintage Car LEDs - VC5000 Light kit
MSDS Inc. - High flow air intake system
Maddogs Motor Sports - Front sway bar stiffening kit; early rear sway bar mount kit; 2 shim pack (one of each 2mm, 3mm, 4mm); heater block off kit
Mike "Dr. Evil" Lesniak - $500 OFF transmission rebuild
Driven Racing Oil - Oil discounts
Perry Kiehl - Service cover
Stuttgart DNA - TBD
Zymol - TBD
Porsche - TBD
Eckler's Automotion - $$Gift certificates$$
FiveO Motorsport - Goodie bag items
Griot's Garage - Car care kits
FCI Financial Concepts Inc. – Shannon Palmer - Cash sponsor
Rix 914 Parts - Polycarbonate Rain Hats for 6-cyl carbs; Firewall pad; other goodies
SK Tools - (2) Wrench sets; a SureGrip Pocket Screwdriver for ALL attendees
Fertan – Rust Removal Solution

driving.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Aug 2 2017, 05:39 PM) *

As I will be calling for all members to support the sponsors of all 914 events, I also encourage you to stay away from those vendors that have spurned the 914. The lack of a certain avian oriented vendor should be noted by all.

Given your extensive list of sponsors in the other post above Mike, I'm really surprised that the bird droppings didn't fall somewhere around you .... especially since Porsche/PCNA themselves are sponsors, along with all the others listed! dry.gif

Maybe try calling Tom Gould there, & make a personal appeal, although he's not an owner now, he was one of the founders & is a former 914 owner himself.

It looks like an excellent turn-out, but unfortunately for me, it's looking more like I'll be in SoCal during the dates this time again, but I will hope for a future year to join the fun. sad.gif

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Mblizzard
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Aug 3 2017, 08:32 AM) *

QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Aug 2 2017, 05:39 PM) *

Given your extensive list of sponsors in the other post above Mike, I'm really surprised that the bird droppings didn't fall somewhere around you .... especially since Porsche/PCNA themselves are sponsors, along with all the others listed! dry.gif

Maybe try calling Tom Gould there, & make a personal appeal, although he's not an owner now, he was one of the founders & is a former 914 owner himself.

It looks like an excellent turn-out, but unfortunately for me, it's looking more like I'll be in SoCal during the dates this time again, but I will hope for a future year to join the fun. sad.gif

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

I think at times my love for these cars might be in excess of how the real world views them. Certainly we get great support from many people and companies. Probably more than a small event should.

Moving on to a more positive viewpoint!

ChrisFoley
When does registration close? I'm making a trip to NW GA around that time on other business and may be able to attend, with another 914 owner from up here.
poorsche914
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Aug 8 2017, 12:46 PM) *
When does registration close? I'm making a trip to NW GA around that time on other business and may be able to attend, with another 914 owner from up here.

Very timely question, Chris, as Bob and I were just discussing this earlier today.
Last day to register will be August 25th with payment due by the 1st of September.
This allows us (barely) enough time to get the final shirt count to the printers in time to get them printed before the event as well as get all the packets together (maps, route directions, etc, etc) and tend to all the other last minute details of the event.
Hope to see you in Helen. It's another record year with well over 100 attendees and 60+ 914s aktion035.gif

driving.gif
naro914
The last couple years we tried to hold registration open just a bit too long, which put undue stress on our suppliers and us (and mistakes were made). Couple that with a crazy schedule we all seem to have this year, and a new location that has different timing demands....so as Steven noted:

LAST DAY TO REGISTER: Friday August 25

PAYMENT MUST BE RECIEVED BY: Friday September 1
adolimpio
Do you use two-way radios to communicate during the drive?
poorsche914
QUOTE(adolimpio @ Aug 9 2017, 09:09 AM) *

Yes, we do.

driving.gif
adolimpio
QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Aug 9 2017, 10:11 AM) *

Yes, we do.

driving.gif

Sounds good, thanks!
Tom_T
QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Aug 9 2017, 07:11 AM) *

Yes, we do.

driving.gif

Whut!? No CBs?? huh.gif

I had a CB in my 914 75-85 back in the pre-cell days, when that was you're only lifeline on long trips.

Then I transferred it to the `88 Westy when we got it in `88, but not used much now, other than for "entertainment listening" on road trips, listening to the truckers' banter.

However, it did save my a$$ in `99 when we blew a hole in the Westy's motor throwing #4 rod a few miles past Zzzzyx in the CA desert on I-40 coming home from our usual long summer IN-AR-OK trip, at midnight, & cell was dead, but I was able to raise an old school trucker who pulled over, used his cell to get AAA out & waited with my 2 kids & I until the tow/flatbed truck got there. Great guy in his late 60s & still driving pro!

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Larmo63
This event looks so fun, I want to drive out from SoCal next year.

Are surfers welcome?

aktion035.gif
Matty900
Doing the best that I can to get the car done so I can make it this year with my own car. There is a lot left to do but we're making lots of progress.
poorsche914
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Aug 10 2017, 12:22 AM) *
This event looks so fun, I want to drive out from SoCal next year.

Are surfers welcome?

aktion035.gif

Absolutely!

driving.gif
poorsche914
QUOTE(Matty900 @ Aug 10 2017, 01:04 AM) *
Doing the best that I can to get the car done so I can make it this year with my own car. There is a lot left to do but we're making lots of progress.

Would love to see your car at the event, Matt. red914.jpg

driving.gif
Matty900

driving.gif
[/quote]

I think I can, I think I can, I think I can.... brain.gif
Mblizzard
[quote name='Matty900' date='Aug 10 2017, 07:37 PM' post='2515761']

driving.gif
[/quote]

I think I can, I think I can, I think I can.... brain.gif
[/quote]

That would be an amazing accomplishment! I have a bit of I think i can to do as well. We are cheering for you!

I just have to get out of Korea and get back to my 914 to do slightly less work!
BillC
I started a thread about a possible mid-atlantic caravan to Okteenerfest here:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=314855
Mblizzard
Had to go out of the country for a bit. Just now getting back to posting some more information.

As a second year sponsor RIX 914 Parts is providing some very fine items. First, a really well made firewall mat and sound reduction mat. This was an item he Richard provided last year and it was really nice!

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

Richard is also going to provide some of his truly awesome polycarbonate rain hats for 6 carbs! Pretty nice bit of kit! Click to view attachment

Rich says he will have a few other goodies as well!
Mblizzard
Would also like to welcome a new vendor. Griot's Garage started out much like this event, just an odd idea that caught on after awhile.Click to view attachment

Kimberly of their Club Assistance Program is sending 2 wonderful car care kits.

One will be taken home by a winner, the other will be at your disposal for use in cleaning up your car before the car show.

You can try the following products and see how they work! All of the following products are ideal for quick clean options!

Speed Shine - Simply mist it on, gently wipe dry, and buff.
l
Interior Cleaner - Quickly and safely clean all interior surfaces and materials from headliner to carpet with minimal fuss.

Spray on Wax - Spray-On Wax base wax enhancer that extends the life of your natural waxes and paint sealants

Wheel Cleaner - highly-concentrated formula clings, penetrates, and loosens brake dust, grit, and road grime.

With the drive Bob has picked this could be very useful!
Mblizzard
There are few things in the automobile world that translate universally. But there are certain people who create works of are that are beyond words. I took many pictures of Tim Kinney's gauges that have become such a marque item for this event and frankly all of them completely failed to capture the work this guy does.

But if you come to Okteenerfest you will have the chance to take home a true work of art!Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Amazing!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.