Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Roger's 914 thread.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
John2kx
Roger,

Looks like your getting really close. The only thing I noticed was lack of a recovery tank.

Wish I were closer.......would really like to see your progress in person.

John
Andyrew
Interesting thing your doing with the mufflers.

btw, I wouldnt worry about breakin anything with the trani or cv's with those tires under there....

That should prove to be quite the burnout mobile.... lol
Dr. Roger
OK guys and gals....

It's running. And how???

Like CRAZY fast!

The Corvette muffs are in and look and sound fantastic.

I could have not done it without all of your help.

Including Miles, ... laugh.gif smilie_pokal.gif Baaaaah. That's "thank you" in goat talk.
\
Now my sweetie pie, who knows this car may break down at any minute, wants to go driving on little getaways or day trips.

I can't wait.
Andyrew
How could those 165's hook up?

GIve us an exhaust vid!!!!

I wana know what it sounds like!
redshift
OH NO! First New York! Then New Orleans... now.. Right e'ffin' here is in trouble!

smilie_pokal.gif

Speedy..

M
Dr. Roger
QUOTE (Andyrew @ Sep 1 2005, 12:24 AM)
How could those 165's hook up?

GIve us an exhaust vid!!!!

I wana know what it sounds like!

Amazingly those 165's do well in a straight line. I'm not shock loading the drivetrain right now. Heck the engine is barely broke in. I'm running it a little conservatively but as i develop more confidence i'm sure there will be more postings from me regarding wider rubber. =-)

I've never owned a car that handled so well. thats not saying much though.

Alritey then. Upon request, the exhaust video Andy.

http://home.comcast.net/~rogergrubb/newexh...haustsystem.wmv
neo914-6
That ear to ear grin, priceless! smilie_pokal.gif beerchug.gif mueba.gif MDB2.gif dance.gif monkeydance.gif
John2kx
Roger,

Looks like all the hard work paid off!! Engine sounds great too.

Be carefull passing large trucks over 100 mph with those skinny tires. BTDT.......it was not pretty and I feel lucky to be here now. I'm sure you have already experienced, it takes very little to reach 100 mph now.

John
Andyrew
Sounds great!!!!

Glad you got yours running!!

Sounds like you have a little tuning to do, A dyno will fix that right up.

We'll have have a little heads up on the freeway (50-80 or sumtin)

I wana know what your engine does compared to mine. (yours will obviously be faster when tuned, I dont have heads yet)

Andrew

driving.gif

feels good, dont it?!

Aaron Cox
nice rumble. too cool.

get some meaty tires before you kill yourself ohmy.gif
Dr. Roger
QUOTE (Andyrew @ Sep 2 2005, 10:56 AM)
Sounds great!!!!

Glad you got yours running!!

Sounds like you have a little tuning to do, A dyno will fix that right up.

We'll have have a little heads up on the freeway (50-80 or sumtin)

I wana know what your engine does compared to mine. (yours will obviously be faster when tuned, I dont have heads yet)

Andrew

driving.gif

feels good, dont it?!

=-))))))))
Andyrew, You gotta' deal. =-))

As it is, the timing is a little retarded. It's already a handful as it is though. 8 more degrees advance will produce a heck of a lot more torque. aktion035.gif

I'm kinda scared of it. I was shaking for a half an hour after driving it last night.

Today Patricia and I are going to cruise it up in the hills to just shake it down for troubles before going on the "dream drive" up the coast. biggrin.gif mueba.gif I have 2 more uses on the AAA card before the end of the year. laugh.gif

We'll post pics of our afternoons adventures this evening. happy11.gif
Andyrew
NIce!

But please...

spend the 200 bucks and buy some new tires.

Dont kill yourself with something stupid.. lol

(do you have diff rims yet? or are you running those rims??)

Kumho cheepies. 205 60 15.

Kumho 711's (little stickier) I suggest using for the fronts.. 50 series.

195 65 15's. Give you better crusing, you pick price/performance... I sugest these for rear...

GL!!!!
Dr. Roger
QUOTE (Andyrew @ Sep 2 2005, 12:08 PM)
NIce!

But please...

spend the 200 bucks and buy some new tires.

Dont kill yourself with something stupid.. lol

(do you have diff rims yet? or are you running those rims??)

Kumho cheepies. 205 60 15.

Kumho 711's (little stickier) I suggest using for the fronts.. 50 series.

195 65 15's. Give you better crusing, you pick price/performance... I sugest these for rear...

GL!!!!

Andy and everyone,

I am in the market for a wheel/tire upgrade. On a budget. =-)

I want to stay 4 bolt for now because I can't afford the Carrera front end/brakes that I need soon.

If I was smart I'd do the Carrera front ASAP and put some temporary 5 bolt wheels on her until I can affford some wheels/tires I really like.

Easy is saying a Carrera front end will run me about $800........

Any suggestions????
Rand
First, relax and enjoy your new ride a little. Take it easy, break it in, keep the ear to ear grins flowing.
smilie_pokal.gif
Dr. Roger
Todays shakedown cruise went something like this...

Took off for Berkeley Marina. Noted temps very slowly climbing.
I have the fans on a manual switch and they were on.
At the marina she topped out at 200 degrees.
Dr. Roger
Bebe and her owner.
Dr. Roger
Then we cruised up University Ave in gridlock traffic. Temps continued to climb. I got out of stop and go, took surface streets up to Spruce for a light climb up into the hills.

That's where the temps got too high. Had to shut her down.

One use left on AAA card...... for the year.

Now I really feel like a 914 owner. biggrin.gif laugh.gif
McMark
I have some steel five lug wheels you can borrow for as long as you want.
Dr. Roger
QUOTE (McMark @ Sep 3 2005, 12:06 AM)
I have some steel five lug wheels you can borrow for as long as you want.

Mark, Dude.

I will definately keep that in mind. Seriously.

Now I need that winning lotto ticket for the front end... Seriously also. wink.gif
Dr. Roger
So here's what I think is the overheating culprit.

It does not have an enclosed shroud for cool air so warm air can recirculate. I think.

But I was also thinking that a well burped sealed system would still be fine as it is.

Guess not.

For the seasoned V8 guys, is this fan shroud OK? Modification suggestions?
Dr. Roger
Exhaust wheel well holes big enough?

(note: only the finest zip ties were used to hold this radiator in place.)
turbo914v8
The fans you have should work well. Your problem is that you MUST build a shroud that encloses the fresh air intake for the rad. Air will travel the path that offers the least amount of resistance. In your case the path of least resistance is over the rad. The shroud will make the air pass through the rad. I am surprised that you did not over heat sooner.
914GT
Paul is right. And at low speeds a barrier between the intake and exhaust sides of the radiator is required to prevent recirculation. What you have now lets the heated air get pulled back through the radiator and that will severely reduce the cooling efficiency.
John2kx
Roger,

I see two radiator caps installed (one front and back) with no recovery/expansion tanks to collect coolant. If your running your setup as shown in pics, your sucking air back into cooling system everytime you cycle from hot to cold in addition to loosing water.

My two quart expansion tank would easily increase level by over one quart during a heat cycle in summer weather. Without the expansion tank, this coolant is being pushed overboard.

Your fender cutout size is fine.

Shroud the front of rad. as already mentioned.

Do you have a additional opening in front of car other than what you cut out in trunk floor?

One other IMPORTANT thing..........unless you crossed your radiator hoses somewhere between the front of car and water pump, your plumbed up backwards, ie sucking out the top of radiator instead of bottom.

John
Dr. Roger
John,

YOU get the grand prize for my secret mistake.... Yes the water pump is plumbed backwards..... to the radiator.

I'm going to switch the hoses up front tomorrow. huh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

i'm thinking of going with a fiberglass setup up front to route cool air.

with what little experience i have, i should be able to do a decent job.

more updates to come.

i'm off the next 5 days for vacation. let's see if it gets done.... dry.gif
John2kx
Roger,

Don't forget the expansion tank! With your "2" radiator cap installation, you should pick one to feed and receive from expansion tank. I recommend the higher point in your engine bay. For this to work you need to have the radiator cap in front to have a higher pressure relief or plug the overflow line. RH recommends a 16lb. cap with their cooling system. You could also go with a 20lb. cap in front and the 16lb. at your fill port and get the same results.

Connecting the radiator to pump correctly and installation of expansion tank may work without the front ducting but I doubt it. It wouldn't hurt to give it a try, just don't veer too far from home.

You could use cardboard, foam and duct tape to temporarily fab up a duct to see if the sizing and path work prior to spending several days with fiberglass.

Your system has got to be full of air given the plumbing error and lack of exp. tank. I recommend going back through the burping procedure outlined earlier to remove as much air as possible prior to hitting the road again.

John

Dr. Roger
Just in case there's anyone lurking, who has never driven a V8 914, and is wondering what it's lke to drive one...

Well let's just say, my hands were shaking for a half an hour after going to get a video 2 miles away. biggrin.gif I never......... huh.gif laugh.gif mueba.gif

This car is sooooo dang fast and fun to drive. I've been riding "go fast" bikes mostly, and lately, off road trail riding/moto-X.

I can't picture many fu-fu drivers behind the wheel of this beast.
Everything happens fast except the braking..... blink.gif barf.gif
Manual steering (albeit, light and responsive)
Clutch is light and consistent.
Throttle is very responsive but watch out for too much throttle... especially 'round turns. Simple left or right turns can become reverse lock turns at will. happy11.gif

Even starting out in third gear is almost effortless. Not for the clutch, obviously.

Bebe is my first 914 and I have no regrets doing this project.
Next: Buy stock in AAA. =-)

There is lots of work still to be done.

There are some issues with engine heat and shimming the starter just right.
Those issues will be addressed immediately.
Other than that she's a driver.

Thanks again all. beerchug.gif

Bebe tucked in for the night. mueba.gif
Andyrew
Yes, get brakes...

At least invest 200 bucks and get STICKY pads.

Oh, and 50 bucks in sheet metal and pop rivets.

OH ya, if you have a little nipple thing on the radiator fill.. you HAVE to either plug it off, or have an expansion tank on it.

Andrew
Dr. Roger
QUOTE (Andyrew @ Sep 4 2005, 11:47 PM)
Yes, get brakes...

At least invest 200 bucks and get STICKY pads.

Oh, and 50 bucks in sheet metal and pop rivets.

OH ya, if you have a little nipple thing on the radiator fill.. you HAVE to either plug it off, or have an expansion tank on it.

Andrew

WaddaUmean? Sheet metal and pop rivets???

Did someone say I wanted to flare Bebe? (secretly i really do) cool_shades.gif it's just a money thing.
Andyrew
Sheet metal... and pop rivets... for a radiator shroud.
Andyrew
user posted image
Dr. Roger
Well I must say, today was so crazy.

I had to give three friends rides and man, that was fun.... starting to push it a little harder. had another reverse lock turn. cool.gif i planned it though.

took it over to visit with some friends and then it got dark.

started her and turned the lights on and nothing happened.

then i noticed no lights worked on the entire car. except the green oil light.

everything worked yesterday...

took a chance and drive it home and as i was pulling into the garage, "Poof".

a flame was seen shining through where the ignition steering column goes through the dash. See pic. and red arrow.. OH SHIT< NOt in my f-ing garage.

I gave it a blast with the extinguisher and that was that.

electrical in nature as it stunk to high heaven. whatever that smells like .

upon furthur inspection i noted that the PO had sone some custoom wiring to the stereo and left other wires just exposed under the dash...
Dr. Roger
my last day of vacation will be figuring out this wiring thing now... dry.gif mad.gif blink.gif ar15.gif headbang.gif pissoff.gif
John2kx
Don't feel like the lone ranger and I'm glad she did not burn to the ground. Hope you don't have to go this far............

John
Dr. Roger
starting fiberglass air ducting.
Dr. Roger
And the details of the electrical fire....

red arrow points to where the harness was cut by steel support bracket for the steering column.

aparrently shorted a non-fused wire resulting in a little fire. fire exstinguisher is always by my side....... I strongly suggest everyone do the same.
Andyrew
That ducting is a little low...

You might find yourself cursing every time you go over a bump..

I guess we'll see it tomorrow!!

Dr. Roger
yea, i figure it's easier to take some off than add... bebe is still down with wiring issue so you'll see her next time. sorry. biggrin.gif
Dr. Roger
I was so inspired by the electrical fire, that I had to add some flames to the car. I don't know if it looks good or bad but it's better than the plain fiberglass that was going to go on there. =-)

No more blow-by or recirculating air. boldblue.gif clap.gif
Rand
Burning Man special! biggrin.gif

Way to go Roger. That will help keep her cool. smilie_pokal.gif
Andyrew
wow...

How did you paint it?

shrouding looks good.
redshift
Looks great dood! laugh.gif I love it.

M
Dr. Roger
wow...

How did you paint it?

hehhehhee.

clearance rack at the local fabric shop.

I used the same stuff on the back of my Burning Man Art Car/fur covered surf board seat, and the hat i wear when driving the board. =-)))

you don't HAVE to use fibered glass for the fabric. You can use many kinds of fiber if it's not too structural of an application. AKA eye candy.
Dr. Roger
OK, back to work.
Figuring out how to get rid of them 31 year old wires and switches. It's coming along very slowly probably due to the fact that i'm no electronics wiz. Hey, one step at a time. Right?

One thing I do need to figure out is how to wire a relay. Like the blinkers and emergency flashers. And what's the purpose of the rest of the relays? Are they really needed? =-)

Got a call today and the new fuse box is in. P/U tomorrow. Yes!
Dr. Roger
Don't let this happen to you. huh.gif
Dr. Roger
New fuse box just got in.

Nice clear front.

Expecting the marine grade rocker switches this week. They come with push button breakers but i'll just use the fused system.
Dr. Roger
And from my Summit friends tonight... cool.gif

Now the air cleaner will not clear the lid... oh well.

Shameful progress. I know. laugh.gif
Dr. Roger
Little update.

Just received the Marine rocker switches.
Picked up some heavy gauge wire and spade connectors.
Main power shut off.

Feeling overwhelmed. Gunna' take a brake from this project.

Roger
neo914-6
call me, if you're for hire...
Dr. Roger
This whole, "being sick" thing is really getting me bored into action again. I mean on Bebe.

After the little electrical fire incident... dry.gif

Tonights little project.
It works so sweeeeet. smile.gif cool.gif
Waterproof/Marine Main power switch.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.