Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Roger's 914 thread.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Dr. Roger
This evenings updates.

Got the radiator via UPS. Looks like the fans will fit well on it with a shroud.

Got intake and carb on. Dizzy on. Front motor mount on.
Previous pics were test fits. =-)

Oh yea', and finally found a cheap bypass valve online... What a pain in the arse.
Dr. Roger
With fans roughly in place.

Anyone have a V8 and keep their spare tire too????
Dr. Roger
engine tonight
Dr. Roger
With the first cuts in the front trunk, I kinda' feel like I'm deflowering my 14.

I'll get over it quick. =-)

Damn it, I told myself "no more toes in any pics"....
Eric Taylor
Looks good man wink.gif. How are you going to mount that radiator?
Eric
Andyrew
So.... Why did you cut that area for the inlet?

You realize that that area is normally left to guide the air from the front bumper... Since the front bumper gets much more airflow than the bottom of the car (unless properly "scooped")

Curious... What research let you to decide to cut there?

Everything else looks really good!

Andrew
beerchug.gif
Dr. Roger
Andy,
I think it was 914GT's pics where I got the idea for the opening. 105 degree Arizona heat test can't be bad.

I understand the Ram effect and scooping air up into the radiator and now that you mention it I may put some of the floor back in to amplify the scooping effect.

Highway cruising is not what I was worried about. It is the commute driving and having maximum air flow into the system at low to no speed.

Dr. Roger
Whoops, sorry Eric for lagging....

I'm going to weld-up some "slide in" type of brakcets. So I can just disconnect hoses and wires and slide it out. Top view might look kinda like ([ ]) .

Dr. Roger
Little update.

Picked up 2 pieces approx. 1 1/4" X 6' conduit. Water lines up to and back from the radiator.

Also picked up some radiator protection stuff. Thick screen door material. Strong and let's the air through nicely.

The plan is to use 250 degree epoxy to fasten fittings to the ends of the conduit for hose connectivity.

Routing under the rockers is appealing except I think that the front of the pipe has to go through the front wheel well. Has anyone done anything different to route that puppy?

I apreciate all of your thoughts and would rather hear it from you now than hear it from you later... LOL laugh.gif

914GT
Roger, you sure you want to trust epoxy for that? I don't know but your operating temps are not too far below the epoxy's rating and it's under pressure. Sure hate for you to blow a hose off when hot and under pressure. What kind of conduit did you go with?
Dr. Roger
What kind? Regular old galvanized. =-)

I've done radiator repairs with "this" epoxy on aluminum. It really works well under pressure and with the right epoxy, does well at temperatures.

John2kx
Roger,

I recommend the well tested hose and routing method used by Renegade. It easy to install and will not cause problems in the event you encounter a speed bump.

If worried about your hoses making contact with a speed bump, wait until you see how low the engine mount is located when it's all buttoned up.

Proper cooling of engine will be your biggest challenge once you get up and running. Renegade has the best track record and I'd follow their procedures for all parts (hoses, barbed fittings, expansion tank, thermostat, fill port etc.)

Regards,

John
John2kx
Renegades' green strip hose secured with conduit clamps.
John2kx
plenty of room for speed bumps or "off track" events : )
Dr. Roger
Yes John2K, that looks great.

Tonights update pics...
Dr. Roger
kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk
Dr. Roger
jjjjjjjj
neo914-6
Did you light it? confused24.gif

Did you paint those valve covers?
redshift
I painted my airbox that same terrible color!

smilie_pokal.gif

Then I painted it silver!

smilie_pokal.gif

M
Dr. Roger
I didn't light it tonight.
Here's why....

I got my bypass valve installed and oil filter on.

Now I can't get the tranny on.

Seems the throw out bearing is keeping the tranny from sliding in all the way...

Is there an adjustment either on the "ball" inside the trans, or should I bend the fork? I saw that as a solution on another V8 thread.

Felix, that disgusting color on the valve covers is a Summit powder coating optional color. I love 'em! biggrin.gif But i'm a sick bastard anyways.
Dr. Roger
I can always count on you Miles for words of wisdom....

Or not. laugh.gif
neo914-6
QUOTE (rogergrubb @ Jul 5 2005, 11:56 PM)
I didn't light it tonight.
Here's why....

I got my bypass valve installed and oil filter on.

Now I can't get the tranny on.

Seems the throw out bearing is keeping the tranny from sliding in all the way...

Is there an adjustment either on the "ball" inside the trans, or should I bend the fork?  I saw that as a solution on another V8 thread.

Felix,  that disgusting color on the valve covers is Summit powder coting specials.  I love 'em!   biggrin.gif   But i'm a sick bastard anyways.

Check the disc alignment, I don't think you can mount it upside down.

Did you check the ID of the pilot bearing vs the OD of the input shaft?

Sometimes the TO bearing gets ahead of the fork during install, I've struggled with that ~1" a few times.

It shouldn't be the arm keeping the tranny from sliding on. Those arm mods help the arm to engage and release the clutch with a longer movement.

Everything else looks good... confused24.gif

I don't mind the valve cover color if you had other components color match.
Dr. Roger
QUOTE (Neo914 @ Jul 6 2005, 01:30 AM)
[QUOTE=rogergrubb,Jul 5 2005, 11:56 PM]
Check the disc alignment, I don't think you can mount it upside down.

Sometimes the TO bearing gets ahead of the fork during install, I've struggled with that ~1" a few times.

It shouldn't be the arm keeping the tranny from sliding on. Those arm mods help the arm to engage and release the clutch with a longer movement.

Everything else looks good... confused24.gif

I don't mind the valve cover color if you had other components color match.

Felix,
The clutch plate only goes in one way. If I were to flip it the center of the clutch disk would hit the pilot bearing. So that's not it.

Yes. I pre-slid on the pilot bearing onto the input shaft of the tranny. No problems there.

The tranny has about 1" of space to make contact with the engine block. I prefit the TO bearing and fork and checked the movement and it looked normal. When I pressed the tranny towards the block, I could move the clutch fork back and forth and the tranny would move back and forth from the block. So it's definately being held back from the block by the TO bearing.
John2kx
Roger,

Many have run into this problem and the cause is most often a mismatch of parts. Did you obtain the clutch/pp/tob as a package? If so, you could start a process of elimination by:

1. removing the t/o bearing from fork and check for fit. It it still won't go, your fork may be contacting pressure plate. I've seen this several times but usually happens with engine/transaxle mated closer than the 1" gap your seeing.

2. remove all washers installed behind "ball" and check for fit. IIRC, every washer installed pushes the t/o bearing forward about 1/4" inch.

3. a couple of the bolts securing flywheel to crankshaft appear to be sticking out about 1". That's either just the angle of the pic or you took it before securing all bolts?

John
Dr. Roger
John,
The pic is with the bolts not torqued down yet. =-) No clearance issues there.

I didn't know about the washers behind the pivot ball. I will check that as soon as I get home. I will also check to see if removing the TO bearing makes a difference. I'm sure it will.. =-)

Last night I was really trying to see exactly where the point of resistance was and I believe it was the TO bearing.

Probably a simple pivot ball adjustment ... Update will be posted tonight.

Thanks again John. This is a real learning experience. LOL
Dr. Roger
Yep, tonight was a learning experience.

I learned that the tranny will not go on all the way unless the pressure plate is torqued down. Me= dumb shit... I was getting ready to perform surgery on the fork... LOL

Tomorrow I pick up some fuel line, hose clamps, distributor clamp down thing, and permatex. Then it's "Fire it up" time!!!!!!!
JmuRiz
QUOTE (rogergrubb @ Jun 28 2005, 11:03 PM)
With fans roughly in place.

Anyone have a V8 and keep their spare tire too????

Could always put the spare tire in the rear-trunk tire-mount location. That'd be an easy way to do it, if you didn't like it up front behind the radiator.
Dr. Roger
This is where I left off last night.

Fired the engine for the first time. It's peppy, to say the least. =-))))

Tonight I figure out how the Renegade rear mounts work. I was checking out 914GT's progress pics and I couldn't see a good side shot to know for sure how they go. I guess I could call Scott at Renegade.... wink.gif

Workey workey time. Later.
sean_v8_914
you might want to remove teh cap and rotor before you stick that in
John2kx
This is how I installed the Renegade rear mount. Large mushroom shaped washer was notched to fit around RH piece. I'm also using 911 sport mounts here.

John
John2kx
another angle
Dr. Roger
Yes! John Thanks so much.

I have the exact parts U have. Now I know how they go together. wink.gif

BTW, did U like the Borlas U used or would U have done it differently?????

Tonight is going to be so great. I'm STOKED, man. aktion035.gif aktion035.gif aktion035.gif aktion035.gif
John2kx
QUOTE (rogergrubb @ Jul 13 2005, 01:15 PM)

BTW, did U like the Borlas U used or would U have done it differently?????

Actually, I tried three different mufflers. Borla, Walker and Flowmaster 40. The Borla was my favorite. One of the best things about the 914 v8 conversion is the mufflers can be changed out in about 20 minutes. Just choose the same size mufflers from the start, ie inlet outlet size, offset(s) and total length. Of the three that I used, these dimensions were all the same, making the swap between quiet to mild or loud a easy process.

John
Dr. Roger
As it is, i'm going to try to stuff some 'Vette C6 mufflers under there. Andyrew says they're too big but Im' a stubborn *uck sometimes.

biggrin.gif
BIGKAT_83
Remove the muffler heat shield from the 914 and this opens up alot more room and those C6 mufflers will fit with no problem. Get some mandrel bent U bends and start welding.

Do you plan to mount them with all 4 tips in the center?

Bob biggrin.gif
Dr. Roger
QUOTE (BIGKAT_83 @ Jul 13 2005, 04:46 PM)
Remove the muffler heat shield from the 914 and this opens up alot more room and those C6 will fit with no problem. Get some mandrel bent U bends and start welding.

Do you plan to mount them with all 4 tips in the center?

Bob biggrin.gif

4 tips in the center???? huh.gif

Oh hell yea', baby!!! smilie_pokal.gif

It'll look like this if I have my way with her.... { OOOO }
Dr. Roger
I'm so glad I'm taking all of you guy's advice. It's really making a difference on how things go together. THANK YOU!!! wink.gif biggrin.gif

Engine went in.
Engine came out. Front clearance. Had to trim lip that protrudes at the level of the water inlets. Quick job with a 6" angle grinder and a cutting wheel. =-)

Today I run all water lines off the engine, figure out any wiring that should be connected before engine goes in again, and charging wires.

After that, it's fuel, shifting, throttle systems.... and after that it's......... Drive it!!!!!!! huh.gif smilie_pokal.gif cool.gif rolleyes.gif ohmy.gif wink.gif smile.gif biggrin.gif mueba.gif aktion035.gif happy11.gif beerchug.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif rocking nana.gif

A few pics.
My buddy Mikey is the bald dude. I suggest that anyone doing this get a friend. If for nothing else, moral support. This is not easy.
Dr. Roger
Sure it'll fit. =-) )))))))
John2kx
Roger,

A couple of us here in Ga. were wondering how it was going. Glad to see your making progress. The R&R gets easier each time.

Removing the rear wheels/tires and using a furniture dolly would really cut your install time down as it provides more room and easier movement of drivetrain as it mates with chassis. I've done it that way by myself several times.

Sound clips tomorrow? : )

John
MJHanna
I'm impressed with your progress. keep up the good work. smilie_pokal.gif
Dr. Roger
Good progress the last few days.

Got the engine in. Then out. then made some "clearance" adjustments... =-) Now ready to go back in.

Figured out some electronic stuff. Running wires and starter, water pump, alternator, ... ignition. Nothing very important.

Then fabricated the fan shroud out of stainless steel. Came out pretty good considering I've never done this kind of thing before. Just watched the fellas' at the OCC. LOL laugh.gif cool.gif biggrin.gif
Dr. Roger
Dr. Roger
69696969 =-)
Dr. Roger
6969696969 =-)
Dr. Roger
Tracing for the openings.

So I see this man wearing this Teeshirt. And it say's, "It's not going to suck itself"....
His G-friend had one that said, "It's not going to lick itself"...

laugh.gif Leave it to Berkeley....
Dr. Roger
Finished product. Whoooo hooooo!

Check that off the list.
Dr. Roger
Now it's in.

We'll see how long that lasts..... smile.gif
John2kx
Congradulations!!!! It looks like that carb just might fit under engine lid too.

John
redshift
WOOHOO! Go Rog!

M
neo914-6
36 days to "the" meet. beerchug.gif boldblue.gif

One of the best parts of the Great Mall meet was firing up everyone's engines.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.