Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Roger's 914 thread.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Dr. Roger
thank you sir, may I have another?
Dr. Roger
it hurts so good. may i have another one mistress?

Jen will like this post.... huh.gif
Dr. Roger
enough.
Dr. Roger
do you think it makes my ass look big????
Andyrew
Thats a nice ass there!

I like em big!

Andyrew
btw, you'll need a 1in spacer to bolt em up..( maybe even a 1.5, dont know that offset..)

add that to your 3.5...

Cut your flares, just cut them on the back about 2 inches. cut the tops of the flares at a taper towards the top front, see if thats enough.. If not, do another inch. , secton out the 2 inches that you cut, and on the inside and outside of the pannel fiberglass it back..

get the look you want without having to kill them bearings..
Dr. Roger
QUOTE (Andyrew @ Feb 23 2006, 12:53 AM)
btw, you'll need a 1in spacer to bolt em up..( maybe even a 1.5, dont know that offset..)

add that to your 3.5...

Cut your flares, just cut them on the back about 2 inches. cut the tops of the flares at a taper towards the top front, see if thats enough.. If not, do another inch. , secton out the 2 inches that you cut, and on the inside and outside of the pannel fiberglass it back..  

Andy, so your suggesting that I dont space-out the wheels to the fender?

rather, space the wheels just enough to fit the arms, and bring the fenders IN to the wheels?

this idea sounds much better as I don't want to over stress the bearings and it does look a bit WIDE. biggrin.gif
John
914 caliper with spacer and E brake.
911 vented/drilled rotor, milled/diameter to fit within caliper.
914 pads.
911 brake pad pins, clips, and springs.
Washer/spacers to bring caliper inward "just a little bit".

Are those 914/6 rear calipers????
Dr. Roger
QUOTE (JOHNMAN @ Feb 23 2006, 08:48 AM)
914 pads.

Are those 914/6 rear calipers????

technically speaking thay are not 914-6 calipers.

they are spaced 914 calipers with 911 rotors. Which are similar to a 914-6 setup.

"pro's":
i get to keep the E brake and there is MUCH more thermal reserve to the rear braking system.

John
technically speaking thay are not 914-6 calipers.

they are spaced 914 calipers with 911 rotors. Which are similar to a 914-6 setup.

"pro's":
i get to keep the E brake and there is MUCH more thermal reserve to the rear braking system.

They take 914/4 rear pads? The pads look bigger to me for some reason. They almost look like front 914/4 pads (which would make them 914/6 calipers that have been spaced for vented rotors)

914/6 cars had solid rear rotors but larger pads (same as 914/4 front pads).

I'm just wondering which pads fit your calipers in the rear.
Dr. Roger
the pads you see in the new spaced calipers are 914-4 rear pads.

madder of fact i'm temporarily using the old 914-4 rear pads out of the old calipers. wink.gif
Andyrew
QUOTE (rogergrubb @ Feb 23 2006, 08:36 AM)
QUOTE (Andyrew @ Feb 23 2006, 12:53 AM)

add that to your 3.5...

Andy, so your suggesting that I dont space-out the wheels to the fender?

rather, space the wheels just enough to fit the arms, and bring the fenders IN to the wheels?

this idea sounds much better as I don't want to over stress the bearings and it does look a bit WIDE. biggrin.gif

Yes, Yes... and

yes...

You want almost 5inches of spacer on that thing?
No...

But you do want it to be really darn close to the lip so the tires look bigger.. and fill out the flares.

actually, take a tape measurer and measure the distance between your hub and the wheel mount (were the wheel would sit on the hub) with the wheel as close to the inside edge of the fender as possible.

Thats how much spacers you need.

I'll be running 2 1/4 on the back. and I think thats streching it.

Making the flares to fit would allow you to get it as close as possible to the inside edge of the fender.

John

madder of fact i'm temporarily using the old 914-4 rear pads out of the old calipers.

Thanks

idea.gif idea.gif

Got me thinking about this again. I need to turn the rear rotors down to 11.2" OD, space out the calipers, spacer between caliper and mount ear, 911 rear spreader and pins...

If you don't mind, which 911 rear spreaders and pins? Thanks a bunch. (I know how to get longer bolts)
Dr. Roger
QUOTE (JOHNMAN @ Feb 23 2006, 12:03 PM)

madder of fact i'm temporarily using the old 914-4 rear pads out of the old calipers.

Thanks

idea.gif idea.gif

Got me thinking about this again. I need to turn the rear rotors down to 11.2" OD, space out the calipers, spacer between caliper and mount ear, 911 rear spreader and pins...

If you don't mind, which 911 rear spreaders and pins? Thanks a bunch. (I know how to get longer bolts)

actually i'm pretty sure the 911 caliper spacers are incompatible. I'm only guessing as i've heard no one talking about doing that.

the ones on my calipers are custom made.

the pins, clips,springs are from a 911.
914's need a wide entry hole on the caliper and a narrow hole at the tip of the pin. 911 pins vary.

there is a guy who made custom pins for spaced 914 calipers. he details the thickness's at the ends and the center.

The easiest way to find which ones work is to find your favorite Porsche dismantler and go through their pile 'o calipers.... I would have except for a fine member/non-member of 914world.com offered to send me his, FREE! =-) WITH springs/clips.

It really pays to make friends here as I find the people are so very helpful and generally have lots of heart.

When I first came here I was just doing research for my project.

After I found a 914, I had a pile of parts I didn't need, and promptly gave them all away.
Not caring to make money from anyone. Just doing good deeds as so many people here have done me.

I can get you the spacer width if that will help. Just let me know.

Roger
John
Roger,

I am mainly interested in the Pad Pins, the springs and the clips.

The spacers I have under control.

I can get the calipers wide enough and centered on the rotor. I can turn pins to whatever shape is required, the clips should be able to be stock 914/4 clips. Inserted in holes in fabricated pins.

The spreader springs are my primary hangup. I don't think they would retract correctly if I didn't use any. I suppose they could be frankensteined from 911 parts and 914 parts.

I believe the pin spacing between 911 rear and 914/4 rear calipers is different.

914 pads.

When I saw that I got excited that there may be stock springs......
Dr. Roger
springs and clips are different. big time. much wider due to the wider rotor. wink.gif
McMark
Roger, what are your front brakes?
Eric_Shea
I think he mentioned in another thread A-Calipers.

Pins are custom. Springs are too.

Springs are simple. Use the 911 spreader and the 914 wings that go under the pins. They're riveted from the factory so just drill them out and POP rivet in the new ones.

Pins need to be machined. I have sets available that we use in our v-caliper kits.
McMark
Well, I would think that those small stock 4 brakes with huge meats would warrant ditching the proportioning valve. I wonder if the stock brakes could even lock up 11" wheels. ohmy.gif Eric?
Eric_Shea
I'd say the p-valve is a gonner. Send it to Ray Mital.

Those rears don't have a chance with that much meat.

Here's the pins.

We machined off the 'humps' because none of the rear pads come with the larger hole in one side anymore. You can still see the butt is wider on that pin though.
Dr. Roger
QUOTE (McMark @ Feb 23 2006, 10:29 PM)
Well, I would think that those small stock 4 brakes with huge meats would warrant ditching the proportioning valve.  I wonder if the stock brakes could even lock up 11" wheels.  :o Eric?

yes sir. A calipers. and i've got a set of cross drilled rotors ready to replace the existing ones if i start looking for ways to procrastinate the wiring project again... laugh.gif

actually the pins and springs are straight 911. not custom. unless you think custom means having to bend the 2 springs (too wide and long) to make then fit correctly within the caliper. one pair of needlenose pliers and 5 minutes later. done. custom. cool.gif

hmmm, don't they make a proportioning valve bypass line?
Eric_Shea
actually the pins and springs are straight 911. not custom. unless you think custom means having to bend the 2 springs (too wide and long) to make then fit correctly within the caliper.
laugh.gif

Actually... I think 'custom' means quite the opposite. More like it actually fits w/o bending anything lol3.gif

Regarding the pins, straight 911 wouldn't have the one pin larger than the other and wouldn't fit tightly in the hole. Expect your pads to move around back there and some bizaarr wear patterns if not broken stuff.

You really need to ditch those calipers in favor of some 911 units and a handbrake solution. Right now... as you sleep your wheels and tires are laughing at your calipers and calling them all sorts of names. poke.gif It's not a pretty sight. biggrin.gif
Eric_Shea
hmmm, don't they make a proportioning valve bypass line?

Why yes, they do...
John
Roger,

How wide are the caliper spacers (8mm, 10mm ???) and how wide are the rotors?

I drew up the spacer (now I need a thickness), and am having quotes for them sent out.

I'll make pins like eric showed when I find out how wide to space the caliper halves.

Thanks
Dr. Roger
Eric:
Actually... I think 'custom' means quite the opposite. More like it actually fits w/o bending anything

well i know i'm very far away from being a real 914 pro however... wink.gif

the pin spacing is smaller on a 914 than the 911. Hence having to "adjust" the spring inwards to support the pins in their closer position while maintaining the proper anti-rattle characteristics.

the PIN retainer clips ARE interchangeable.

I checked the fit of the pins through the pads and there is very little play. i don't know, perhaps we have different pins? mine fit perfectly through the calipers with zero play. if there's any measurable play it's pin to pad play... but is acceptable in my book. i'll look at that again and measure the play and get your opinion if there's too much play.

Geez, a 911 E brake solution? i'm a CSOB remember??? biggrin.gif laugh.gif

Johnman:
I'll be working down in the garage today so i'll be sure to take that measurement for you.
John
Thanks,

I'm guessing that they are 10mm thick. I believe SC rear rotors are 20mm thick, and that 914 rear rotors are 10mm thick, so the spacers should account for the extra 10mm.
joefri187
An alternative to the fender flare issue.....

http://www.914conversions.com/html/fischer_part_2.html
Dr. Roger
Mar7ck.

Here's the offsets.
Dr. Roger
and the rear size and offset.
Dr. Roger
11" 45mm offset.
Dr. Roger
QUOTE (JOHNMAN @ Feb 24 2006, 12:33 PM)
Thanks,

I'm guessing that they are 10mm thick. I believe SC rear rotors are 20mm thick, and that 914 rear rotors are 10mm thick, so the spacers should account for the extra 10mm.

interestingly enough the spacers are 9mm thick.

if you go 9mm, the calipers have to be right on the offset adjustment. i actually had to do a little filing on the inner body of the calipers to have the rotor fitting perfectly. NOT on the pucks. =-)

if you go 10mm you will get a bit more leeway to play with the offset.

Go for it. The worst that can happen is you will learn a lot and maybe take an extra run to the parts house. No worries brother. beerchug.gif

pic of of the 911 pins using 911 spring with 914 caliper. 911 spring is "adjusted" to shorter distance between pins.
Aaron Cox
andy come over and shoot that pic for ya?

use the macro function smile.gif
bd1308
on my cameras, it looks like a flower icon.

b
Dr. Roger
sometimes even "doctor roger" 'effs up a pic or two.

oh, BTW, i think this is going to be my new avater name. one of my g-friends just gave it to me this morining.... smilie_pokal.gif cool.gif

New Avater name:

Doctor Roger

Is there an admin in the house???? Pretty please????? biggrin.gif
Dr. Roger
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Feb 24 2006, 05:36 PM)
on my cameras, it looks like a flower icon.

b

Ohhhhhh, that's what that flower is for......... duhhhhhhhhhh. laugh.gif huh.gif
Eric_Shea
Geez, a 911 E brake solution? i'm a CSOB remember???

I just don't want you to be a DSOB wink.gif
Dr. Roger
hey eric, i read everything you write.

i know you speak from real 914 experience and i appreciate that. grouphug.gif
wink.gif
Dr. Roger
QUOTE (JOHNMAN @ Feb 24 2006, 12:33 PM)
Thanks,

johnman,

just an fyi...

if your are purely interested in the larger rotors eric shea has the stuff already figured out HERE

no brainer and no heaches.

i'm a bit sadistic and wanted to get turbo axles, bigger rotors, 5 bolt conversion, and E brake all in one swipe.

you may just want a 5 bolt and larger rotors with spaced calipers....
John
Go for it. The worst that can happen is you will learn a lot and maybe take an extra run to the parts house. No worries brother. beerchug.gif

pic of of the 911 pins using 911 spring with 914 caliper. 911 spring is "adjusted" to shorter distance between pins.

if your are purely interested in the larger rotors eric shea has the stuff already figured out

No offense, but I can fab my own for much much less than that.

Yeah, I figured that out after studying the pic and comparing your casting numbers to ones I have. What really threw me off was that you have the older style rear calipers (with the ribe heads). Most of mine are later model. mine are not through bolted, but the outer half is threaded and the bolt simply screws into the outer half.

I also figured out about the bent 911 pad springs (bent for the closer spacing between pins).

I am going to try this out on a set of extra rear calipers that I have laying around. I priced out doing this conversion (myself) and buying new 914-6 rear rotors and it is almost exactly the same cost. I'm going with new 911sc rear rotors. I think I know how to avoid having the rotors machined, but it will be extra work to move things 4mm. This way I won't change the balance of the new rotors and I won't have to do this in the future either.
Dr. Roger
john,

i don't know if you've read this article but it gives some more examples of what is a direct replacement regarding rear rotors. IE 911SC and 930's....
maybe a little "adjusting". =-)

http://ncr-pca.org/tech/upgrading_porsche_brakes2.htm
Dr. Roger
Rear spacers are in. Holy crap dayz nice. =-))))

laugh.gif
Mueller
QUOTE (Dr. Roger @ Mar 12 2006, 12:03 AM)
Rear spacers are in. Holy crap dayz nice. =-))))

laugh.gif

wow, that sure took a lot of recycled Coors cans to make those biggrin.gif laugh.gif

Dr. Roger
QUOTE (Mueller @ Mar 12 2006, 12:11 AM)
QUOTE (Dr. Roger @ Mar 12 2006, 12:03 AM)
Rear spacers are in.  Holy crap dayz nice. =-))))

laugh.gif

wow, that sure took a lot of recycled Coors cans to make those biggrin.gif laugh.gif

yea', either that or blown aluminum 901 cases. wink.gif
John
MAN!!!

Those rear wheel bearings don't stand a chance.
Dr. Roger
you might think that, but when considering that the 11"s wheels have a 45mm offset, it's negligible.

think how many HPH and Sheridan flared 914's you've seen.....

they are ALL running their rubber out to the full width of the fenders.
i'm no different.

the offset and spacer combos may be different on the flared 914's, but the wider the wheel, the less leverage is placed on the bearing.
Dr. Roger
OMG! What have I done???

Dr. Roger
Hmmm, maybe this wasn't such a bad idea... =-)
Dr. Roger
Nope. this was a good idea. smilie_pokal.gif
Dr. Roger
I'm currently testing a couple of different structural adhesives for tomorrows glueing session.

Dr. Roger
and lastly, the front wheel with 2" spacer.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.