Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Marv's 3.6 GT project thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Eddie Williams
QUOTE (Marv's3.6six @ Jan 30 2006, 11:39 PM)
Where did you get the braided covering for the wire loom?
My buddy Tom found it, its available here Cableorganizer.com

They have it in German Flag tri-color as well! user posted image
Marv's3.6six
02/04/06 New custom fiberglass bumper test fit.
Marv's3.6six
02/04/06 23mm master cylinder installed.
Marv's3.6six
02/04/06 Brake fluid resevoir finished.
michel richard
QUOTE (Marv's3.6six @ Jan 30 2006, 07:35 PM)
1/30/06 Front baloney skin test fit, perfecto!!!! no spacers needed laugh.gif

I may have missed it, but can you say exactly what you haver for wheels (backspacing etc . . .) and flares, to get such a nice fit ?
TIA
Marv's3.6six
Yesterdays work included a final test fit for the wheels. I find that things are different then when I first test fitted the wheels, because the Brembo calipers are pretty big and necessitate a 3/8" spacer up front. However the rear wheels are a perfect fit, the brake hat adds about 1/4" spacer.

The wheels really are just about perfect with over 9" of rubber on the front and 10.2" on the rear at "full bottom" out nothing touches anywhere and there is plenty of clearence, even the front fit turning lock to lock bottom out great. biggrin.gif

To answer your question Michel the wheels are HRE311 and were custom made for early 911, and the flares are GT replicas from AA.
Eric_Shea
What size cable organizer stuff? I'm getting ready to order. Thanks for the link. wink.gif

How much did you need? I could get a roll of someone else wants some...
Marv's3.6six
Eric I will have to look at the sizes Tom purchased, he really bought it to use on his Northstar V8 dune buggy, he has several different sizes and also used various sizes of shrink tube to end the sleeves on the 914.
Eric_Shea
That's what I was thinking... might be a couple sizes. And, ditto the shrink tubing... that looked like the clean route.

Thanks for going out of the way... YOUR PROJECT'S SCREAMIN!

E.
Lou W
Marv's3.6six Posted on Feb 5 2006, 09:18 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eric I will have to look at the sizes Tom purchased, he really bought it to use on his Northstar V8 dune buggy, he has several different sizes and also used various sizes of shrink tube to end the sleeves on the 914.  
Eric_Shea Posted on Feb 5 2006, 09:04 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What size cable organizer stuff? I'm getting ready to order. Thanks for the link.  

How much did you need? I could get a roll of someone else wants some...  

biggrin.gif I pm'd Marv yesterday asking the same question about sizes and lengths, also wanted to know about the front trunk cable release cover too. Eric, I may need to buy the same stuff that you're looking at too. smile.gif
Marv's3.6six
While you So Cal guys were BBQ'n at Joe Sharps I was doin this. Fuel pump install above shot.
Marv's3.6six
Fuel pump install below shot
Marv's3.6six
Rear suspension final installation, bearings, hubs, brakes etc. Safety wireb brake brackets.
Marv's3.6six
Front brake bracket install.
Marv's3.6six
Right front corner complete (xcept sway bar) brake rotor to hub, bearings packed & installed all bolted up tight n good. Not shown, I forgot to take pic is I had to remove the RSR struts & chop 1/2 inch of thread off the top, the struts were way too long & would of poked thru the hood! wacko.gif Per Jim at PMS a common issue using 911 struts for 914's.
Marv's3.6six
Right rear corner complete biggrin.gif
Marv's3.6six
Left rear corner complete smile.gif
Marv's3.6six
Left front corner complete laugh.gif All in all a very productive day. clap56.gif
Lou W
Marv,
Thanks for the tour last week, your car is absolutly gorgeous smilie_pokal.gif at the rate you're going, you should have the car on the road soon. driving.gif
boxstr
Marv, very nice, everything is looking great. One question. Is the fuel tank going in and over the fuel pump?? I would think you would want it out in the front trunk area where it would be easier to access if there were a problem with pump?
CCLINHYPERLINK
messix
QUOTE (Marv's3.6six @ Feb 19 2006, 09:23 AM)
Front brake bracket install.

is this pict. flipped? looks like the saftey wire isn't on rotation tension. righty tighty-lefty loosey.
brp914
hey Marv,

beautiful work. coupla ?'s:

1. there was a thread recently re: threaded collars for rear suspension. There was concern that the collars fit too loosely on the shock and potentially allowing the collar to skip over the retainer - not fun. Did you encounter this? If not, mind telling your source?

2. looks like bils front, koni rear. any problem matching characteristics?

3. will this car be street legal?

thanks
Marv's3.6six
Lou W: Thanks for the tour last week.........
Thanx for coming by n lookin, its way more fun to have a teener guy lookin at yur work!
boxstr: fuel tank going in and over the fuel pump??
Yep, don't think it will be much of a problem, I thought alot about putting the fuel pump on the wall outside, but are gonna put a CNC rebuildable fuel filter out on that panel. To remove the tank to get at the fuel pump should be perty straight forward.
messix: is this pict. flipped? looks like the saftey wire isn't on rotation tension. righty tighty-lefty loosey.
Pic not flipped, did not even think about using the safety wire to tension, just using to keep from backin out.
brp914: 1. there was a thread recently re: threaded collars for rear suspension. There was concern that the collars fit too loosely on the shock and potentially allowing the collar to skip over the retainer - not fun. Did you encounter this? If not, mind telling your source?

2. looks like bils front, koni rear. any problem matching characteristics?

3. will this car be street legal?

1. I did a search and could not find that thread? what actually happened? My source is PMS, I will talk to Jim Patrick about this concern.
2. Runnin bils front and rear.
3. Well not really but yeah I will run it on the street kinda sort of. wink.gif
brp914
thread

never posted link before - hope it works
Marv's3.6six
2/22/06 No pics. Installed engine bay seals, a surprisingly easy job when using silicone lubricant and the correct tools! biggrin.gif

R&R the steering column, bunch o grit & sand from sandblasting,.....clean & lubed, ready to install............Need to find new upper & lower clamshell plastics for steering column for 914-6, will put add on parts forum.

Worked on modifying dash panel, R installing a boat bilge blower as an air delivery vent system that will blow cool air towards my face. Early teeners suck for air flow & ventilation. idea.gif
Eric_Shea
2/22/06 No pics

ohmy.gif mad.gif

laugh.gif
byndbad914
Impressive! Love the color as well.
db9146
Marv,

I'm enjoying the show....keep it up!!! clap56.gif clap56.gif

The rear brake adapter look like it says "Brembo" on it. Where did you source the adapters? Are the calipers Big Reds, 928S4, etc.?

Also, what MM torsion bars are you running in the front since you're not running coil-overs? Do you know the spring rates you're using for the front and rear?

Thanks
Marv's3.6six
The rear brake adapter look like it says "Brembo" on it. Where did you source the adapters? Are the calipers Big Reds, 928S4, etc.?
The setup is all Brembo its the new GTP LW, this is their light weight full floating rotor system, this is kitted for early 911. I sourced everything from a friend at Race Technologies. biggrin.gif
Also, what MM torsion bars are you running in the front since you're not running coil-overs? Do you know the spring rates you're using for the front and rear?

Front torsion bars are hollow 22mm, rear springs are 200lb mains and 150lb tenders.
Marv's3.6six
Last friday 2/24 cleaned 3.6 long block, looks purty good in front of a 993 huh? biggrin.gif
Marv's3.6six
02/24/06 Under side of engine, gone is 60k km of cosmoline mixed with canadian dirt and gunk, she's clean as a whistle. clap56.gif
jfort
don't know when I have enjoyed a thread this much. appreciate the effort to show us what you are doing on top of all the work on the car.
Eric Taylor
agree.gif One of my favoriate threads !. Are you changing the cams out? Looks like your at least replacing them? How much power is this sucker gona have? biggrin.gif
Eric
drewvw

that is one sweet looking power plant....the 993 behind ain't too shabby either.
ken914
Incredible work! You have me thinking of stipping my /6 down and redoing everything. Now I just have to find about 1500 spare hours....
Marv's3.6six
Are you changing the cams out?
Yes, I have Web Cam RS cam for 993 w/ hydralic lifters,........ how much power? I don't have a clue, I have talked to Steve Wong (911chips.com) and my ECU is one of the Euro versions he can program. The plan is to dyno this baby to tune the chip biggrin.gif .............Other engine mods are light flywheel, match flowed injectors, 1 3/4" headers, B&B 2 in, with 2- 3" out muff.

I will post some pics soon on the work we did last night, we installed some of the body panels: front & rear CF hoods, rear bumper & custom steel valence with flare to match GT flare, the rear looks just plain sick!!!!!!!! kinda looks like a 930 a$s end. rolleyes.gif
Marv's3.6six
02/28/06 front & rear CF decklids installed. Rear bumper & lower valence installed. Rear end shot, do these flares make my butt look big? huh.gif
Marv's3.6six
02/28/06 right rear quarter panel shot of new flared wide a$s steel valence install biggrin.gif
Marv's3.6six
Close up of GT flare to lower valence metal work, it turned out great biggrin.gif Just wait til U see the rocker panels installed ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif It really looks like a 930 and 914 mated.
maf914
Man, that looks good! smilie_pokal.gif

Keep up the good work! Thanks for posting all of your photos. biggrin.gif
tdgray
Fantastic work Marv.

Can't believe I did not see this thread before. You 're amazing dude. aktion035.gif
Sideways
QUOTE (Marv's3.6six @ Mar 3 2006, 11:36 PM)
02/28/06 right rear quarter panel shot of new flared wide a$s steel valence install biggrin.gif

Your butt looks great, and the flares on the car look good too biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
Marv's3.6six
Your butt looks great
Well thanx I guess huh.gif Here's what I do to keep the butt the correct size to fit the lil Recaro seat. Believe it or not ohmy.gif part of my day job is to ride prototype bikes, this is me on a 29" wheeled full suspension mountain bike.
Allan
That is really, really nice. Can't wait to see it finished...
Eric Taylor
QUOTE (Marv's3.6six @ Mar 4 2006, 11:22 AM)
Your butt looks great
Well thanx I guess huh.gif Here's what I do to keep the butt the correct size to fit the lil Recaro seat. Believe it or not ohmy.gif part of my day job is to ride prototype bikes, this one is a 29" wheeled full suspension mountain bike.

Awesome ! You ride? That's so cool! I'm right now going to hit the road with the team at school, but come this summer it's going to be mountain wub.gif .

How do you like that 29 inch mtn bike? I've really wondered about those, seems like a cool idea. Just a guess but do you work for gary fisher?

Awesome thread, awesome pic! keep it coming smilie_pokal.gif
Eric
turboman808
QUOTE (Marv's3.6six @ Mar 4 2006, 10:22 AM)
Here's what I do to keep the butt the correct size to fit the lil Recaro seat. Believe it or not ohmy.gif part of my day job is to ride prototype bikes, this one is a 29" wheeled full suspension mountain bike.

Now just how in the hell do I get a job like that. I ride 21 miles one way to go to work each day and don't get paid nothing for it huh.gif

I have a custom vintage steel roadie being finished right now. Frame just got finished painting and I figure I will let the shop put the whole thing back together. Really wanted it in time for my club ride the morning before Paris Roubaix.
Marv's3.6six
How do you like that 29 inch mtn bike? & do you work for gary fisher?
29 definetly has its merits, more data available here. Below is another prototype and the name of the company I work at is written on the down tube.
Marv's3.6six
03/08/06 Received the finished fiberglass work on the front bumper, with installed brackets and reworked the glass on wrap around end edge, on the right.
Marv's3.6six
03/08/06 Test fit front bumper for gaps, lots of sanding work done to get gaps right, gaps are looking really good especially since this is a carbon fiber hood, more sanding/fitting work to be done, want gaps perfect. Right side headlight cover test fit, ..............................look ma no eyebrows smile.gif
maf914
What are you using for a bracket in your bumper photo?

Also, who's bumpers are these and did they fit?

Thanks.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.